As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[nba] franken-warriors rise as curse of the brook settles over lakers

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    The Divac-Vivek combo has got to be the worst in the last 30 years.

in a league that includes james dolan?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Divac-Vivek is absolutely worse, the Kings are just sad bad and ignorable while we like to regularly yuk it up over the Knicks badness

Dolan is terrible, for sure, but Ranadive is an F tier owner too who is both clueless about the sport (only defend with 4 and leave a cherry picker under your own hoop) AND a meddler (Buddy Hield), and also apparently into blatant bad nepotism (Anjali World Ranadive)

Divac, by basically his own admission was the dumbest shithead in the NBA

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    "The baffled Kings chose Baaaaagley over Luuuuukaaaaa" is still one of the greatest lines in a parody song.

dlinfiniti wrote: »

No way, this is pure East Coast / NY bias. There is no metric in which the Knicks can be considered worse than the Vivek era Kings.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    burbo wrote: »

No way, this is pure East Coast / NY bias. There is no metric in which the Knicks can be considered worse than the Vivek era Kings.

The Knicks have made the playoffs twice since Vivek bought the Kings and also have had at least two competent GMs that Dolan fired. Dolan deservedly gets more flak because his market is so desirable yet no marquee players will go there anymore, but I would still say their organization is overall more competent than the Kings. Vivek floated the idea of playing 4 on 5 which I believe was inspired by watching his daughter's junior high team do it, and Divac genuinely never learned the technicalities around trade deals. I couldn't really explain a trade exception off the top of my head but I'm also NOT an NBA general manager.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

I feel like Donald Sterling is up (down?) there, regardless of the GM he's paired with.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    But yeah my vote goes to the Kangzzzzz.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I could have sworn that I read Luka’s team told the Kings not to draft him, or he’d keep playing in Europe, or move after his rookie deal, or something to that effect because it impressed me that that even at 18 and living in another country he knew enough to not want to have anything to do with the kings.

The Knicks have made the playoffs twice since Vivek bought the Kings and also have had at least two competent GMs that Dolan fired. Dolan deservedly gets more flak because his market is so desirable yet no marquee players will go there anymore, but I would still say their organization is overall more competent than the Kings. Vivek floated the idea of playing 4 on 5 which I believe was inspired by watching his daughter's junior high team do it, and Divac genuinely never learned the technicalities around trade deals. I couldn't really explain a trade exception off the top of my head but I'm also NOT an NBA general manager.

Even worse, he was the coach of the team doing that. And so, in a blatant case of billionaire brainn he thought "im a genius, everything i touch turns to cold, and only a true maverick like me could have this idea. The reason no one else does this is because i am the only person alive who is just. So. Goddam. Innovative!"

Was that Anjali’s team and was Anjali the cherry picker and was this a way to manufacture buckets for her

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Draymond wants a max contract extension.

In related news, I want a Pegasus.

If he doesn't get it, he'll get close to it somewhere else. Many many rosters would love him for at least a couple of years.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    There is no way another team will offer him anything close to a max after what we saw this season. People were debating whether he was worth the max even when he was at his peak before he signed his most recent contract with Golden State.

If he has some mega resurgent season this year, maybe, but he's not close to one if he plays similarly to last year.

Fiatil on
    Fiatil wrote: »
    There is no way another team will offer him anything close to a max after what we saw this season. People were debating whether he was worth the max even when he was at his peak before he signed his most recent contract with Golden State.

If he has some mega resurgent season this year, maybe, but he's not close to one if he plays similarly to last year.

What we saw for 46 games this past season was very much in line with what he's put up his whole career. He's not the monster defender he was 4 years ago, but he's still really damn good at defending several positions and could plug a lot of holes for someone else.

He’s also a phenomenal offensive facilitator

edited July 2022
    I'm definitely good with revisiting once he signs. I'm at 0% chance someone outside of the Warriors maxes him. The Warriors have the highest incentive to do so to keep their big 3 together, but they're not going to have to worry about someone else wanting to max him and forcing them to match. So, 0% chance the Warriors do it either.

I'm definitely not saying he's a scrub, but there's an ocean of difference between his current ability and signing a 32/33 year old Draymond Green to a max extension.

Fiatil on
    It's likely just a negotiating position, anyway. But frankly the Warriors have already given him more money than I think most teams could or would, so I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck around for less money but more years.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    It's likely just a negotiating position, anyway. But frankly the Warriors have already given him more money than I think most teams could or would, so I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck around for less money but more years.

Agreed. I don't think Draymond will be getting max. Plus, he still has 2 more years left on his current deal (as does Klay). If they maxed Draymond, they'd be hamstringing themselves to be able to pay Poole and potentially Wiggins, Kuminga, Moody, and Wiseman. Add to that he already said he couldn't get up for regular season games for a team that wasn't competing for a championship (2019-2020 season), so if he went to another team that gave him the max, it definitely wouldn't be a contending team.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575

He was an absolute bargain at the beginning since he was a second round pick and his salary was less than $1M his first three seasons. After his first big extension year (2015-2016) he was All NBA 2nd team and DPOY the next. He was also All NBA first team last season and second this past season. He absolutely would have gotten the max available in the past if the Warriors didn't pay him.

I cannot believe that the resident Cavs fan here has to set the record straight on Draymond. Some of ya'll are drunk and need to go home.

The Dubs are looking at a luxury tax bill close to 140 million dollars and they will be paying Steph & Clay nearly 100 million a year the next couple years, and they’ll need to resign Wiggins in a year or so.

It’s good that the owners are willing to go into the luxury tax, but that’s getting pretty expensive.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

He was an absolute bargain at the beginning since he was a second round pick and his salary was less than $1M his first three seasons. After his first big extension year (2015-2016) he was All NBA 2nd team and DPOY the next. He was also All NBA first team last season and second this past season. He absolutely would have gotten the max available in the past if the Warriors didn't pay him.

I cannot believe that the resident Cavs fan here has to set the record straight on Draymond. Some of ya'll are drunk and need to go home.

I think he would have but I also think there's probably an impression around the league, just like Kevon Looney, about how good would Draymond actually be not being on the Warriors with Curry and Klay. I think he would still play well, but I can't shake the feeling that a lot of teams would feel he wouldn't be as good to justify the max.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I would be 100% fine with the Pistons giving Draymond the max. Let him tech the young guys and bring him home to Michigan.

But the Warriors are going to keep him.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    Barring serious injury, if I am the dubs and I have to choose between Wiggins and Green I choose Green hands down. They have a bevy of young talent ready to grow into the Wiggins role. GS definitely will have to cut some salary to avoid an insane payroll but Green is still a HoF-level player and Wiggins is not.

edited July 2022

You're pulling out stats and figures from 2015 to justify him getting a contract extension in 2022 though? That's not good! He's 32 now, and players outside of absolutely generational players like KD and Steph very very rarely get max extensions at that age.

It's already been reported the Warriors don't have any intentions of offering him that. The outlier opinion in this thread definitely isn't the people saying he won't get a max extension, if we're going down that route.

Where are you getting these All NBA teams from? He hasn't made an all NBA 1st, 2nd or 3rd team at all since 2016-2017.....

Fiatil on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Also, why should any sport fan give a single fuck if a team owner has to pay a luxury tax? If that's a problem, sell the team. By all accounts, the GSW arena is a money printing factory.

Fucking billionaires crying poor, boo fucking hoo.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    Barring serious injury, if I am the dubs and I have to choose between Wiggins and Green I choose Green hands down. They have a bevy of young talent ready to grow into the Wiggins role. GS definitely will have to cut some salary to avoid an insane payroll but Green is still a HoF-level player and Wiggins is not.

Green is nearing the end of his career and is ignored on offense to the point of comedy even during the playoffs. He’s worth keeping around for his defense and leadership. But he’s not worth a max contract at all.

edited July 2022
    With Draymond, we are talking about a player who average 8 ppg in the playoffs (supposedly where he is more important than reg season), with 20% 3p% and 63.8 FT%. For comparison, the player we all consider the patron saint of brick laying, Russel Westbrook, shoots 10 FUCKING PERCENT BETTER FROM 3, and better from FT as well. Like, how we are talking about a max for a player that bad offensively when he is 32, with 2 more years before it would even start, is crazy. And from the same thread that was saying a max for extension for Dame was crazy.

Like, yeah, Dray is awesome defender, but do we forget that he was legit getting sat on the bench in the finals because, at times, he is such a liability that they would rather play Otto Porter Jr. over him?

burbo on
    his contributions to the team cannot be quantified by mere statistics
    he is a generational talent when it comes to on the court leadership and basketball vision
    the team falls apart without him on the court, he will get paid

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!

You're pulling out stats and figures from 2015 to justify him getting a contract extension in 2022 though? That's not good! He's 32 now, and players outside of absolutely generational players like KD and Steph very very rarely get max extensions at that age.

It's already been reported the Warriors don't have any intentions of offering him that. The outlier opinion in this thread definitely isn't the people saying he won't get a max extension, if we're going down that route.

Where are you getting these All NBA teams from? He hasn't made an all NBA 1st, 2nd or 3rd team at all since 2016-2017.....

Presumably all-NBA defense
    With Draymond, we are talking about a player who average 8 ppg in the playoffs (supposedly where he is more important than reg season), with 20% 3p% and 63.8 FT%. For comparison, the player we all consider the patron saint of brick laying, Russel Westbrook, shoots 10 FUCKING PERCENT BETTER FROM 3, and better from FT as well. Like, how we are talking about a max for a player that bad offensively when he is 32, with 2 more years before it would even start, is crazy. And from the same thread that was saying a max for extension for Dame was crazy.

Like, yeah, Dray is awesome defender, but do we forget that he was legit getting sat on the bench in the finals because, at times, he is such a liability that they would rather play Otto Porter Jr. over him?

The Dubs are many points better both defensively and offensively with him on the floor. Offensively, they run their offense through him setting ball screens while Steph runs around and warps the defense into untenable shape, at which point Dray makes amazing passes to initiate the movement leading to either an easy cutter or a splash

Calm down. I think Draymond is a Hall of Famer and arguably the best defensive player ever. I'm just pointing out that the perception between his value and his actual value are not the same thing, particularly back when he was eligible for his last contract.

In 2018 I would've argued that there's absolutely no way Westbrook would get less than the max, but that doesn't mean I thought he was worth that much.

edited July 2022
    his contributions to the team cannot be quantified by mere statistics
    he is a generational talent when it comes to on the court leadership and basketball vision
    the team falls apart without him on the court, he will get paid

Yeah he'll get paid. He won't get a max contract.

The NBA leaves a tremendous amount of room for non-max players to still get paid tons of money for being good -- Draymond is firmly on that list. Like virtually every other player in the league, he's not on the list of players valuable enough to get a max contract extension (at age 32/33).

Presumably all-NBA defense

And that's the crux of it! If you look at the all NBA teams, you will see a list of dudes who are at the max or who would earn the max if they were a free agent today.

If you look at all NBA defensive teams, you will see lots of very good players, and a very large percentage of them not making the max. The ones on that list making max contracts are two-way players beyond "good at assists when playing with 2-3 top 10 all time shooters next to him to mask his complete inability to shoot a jumpshot". Like for reference, everyone's favorite "getting paid waaaaay too much money" player Russell Westbrook has made an all NBA team 3 times since Draymond last did.

Draymond is a great player! He's not a max player, and moreso each year as he gets older.

Fiatil on
    edited July 2022
    it just depends on how you define max player
    westbrook isn't going to elevate your team into contention or championship, and clearly neither are veritable max guys like KD, Kyrie etc.
    dray has proven that he does over and over again
    individual statistics don't tell his story
    the warriors don't win any championships without dray
    that is how valuable he is

many owners across multiple sports have opined that there is no amount of money they would not pay for a championship title
    if that is your goal and not like just trying to make money and sell tickets like the knicks, then dray is on your must acquire list ahead of guys like KD, Kyrie etc
    Dray as your floor general can make up weaknesses at all positions including your head coach
    there is no other player in the league you can say that about at right now

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited July 2022
    The question is if Dray can still be that for much longer

His ability to lockdown increasingly twitchy bigs many inches taller than him presumably will deteriorate fairly rapidly

Captain Inertia on
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    westbrook isn't going to elevate your team into contention or championship, and clearly neither are veritable max guys like KD, Kyrie etc.

many owners across multiple sports have opined that there is no amount of money they would not pay for a championship title
    if that is your goal and not like just trying to make money and sell tickets like the knicks, then dray is on your must acquire list ahead of guys like KD, Kyrie etc
    Dray as your floor general can make up weaknesses at all positions including your head coach

As much as the Warriors should value Green and what he allows them to do, a lot of that is enabled by the offensive talent around him. I can’t think of another team with the building blocks that allow him to be that difference maker, and without other teams to bid for his services, he’s not getting to the max.

It’s like Celtic fans who overvalue Smart for his defensive play and tendency to make “clutch” shots (often times they are at the end of games that shouldn’t be close, but are because Smart keeps shooting).

maraji on
    Not even Celtics fans think Smart deserved DPOY.

As much as i enjoy your irrational warriors fan bit, i admit it does make it tough to know if you are making a real argument or not. In this case, your tone seems serious, but you are saying Dray is better for building championships than KD, so i must assume its still nonsense.

edited July 2022

As much as i enjoy your irrational warriors fan bit, i admit it does make it tough to know if you are making a real argument or not. In this case, your tone seems serious, but you are saying Dray is better for building championships than KD, so i must assume its still nonsense.

you really want me to break it down for you then?
    ok lets look at KD
    he's been in the league for 14 seasons now
    13 out of those 14 seasons he's played with max/maxish players
    3 of those with the warriors which we will put aside since my argument is that dray is responsible for those titles
    2 seasons with the nets (kyrie)
    8 seasons at OKC with Harden and/or Westbrook
    when you've spent 92% of your life in the NBA with at least one maxish player on your team, you being a max player yourself, you should at least have a non draymond title to your name if you want to be called someone who can lift a team to a championship don't you think?
    Point is, at the end of the day, basketball is still a team sport and in this era of basketball, a singular great player, or even two will not get the job done, you need a guy like dray on the floor with you or you aren't likely to make it through the playoffs. It doesn't matter if your a 40 points a night kinda guy, you aren't gonna make it past the competition today if you don't have a guy who can look at a play and figure out how to beat it on the fly on the floor.
    I'll let dray have the last word here

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited July 2022
    You guys are great, but the Warriors fan/west coast bias stuff in this thread gets pretty insane at times. I'm still not sure if dlinfiniti is doing a schtick or not with that last post. I'm guessing yes given the leaps of logic and odd broad strokes number connecting thing going on. Is that seriously an argument that most teams would value Draymond over KD? I am very much not a KD fan, but umm.....

We're not hating on Draymond by saying he deserves like, 80% of the max maybe. It's not "player is max player or is a scrub" -- that's just not how the NBA works.

Draymond was basically a very good role-player on this year's Warriors team. Yeah he's a leader in the locker room beyond that, but he has some pretty obvious limits to his game and looks to be pretty clearly past his career peak. This conversation seriously feels like it's lifted from 2015 -- the NBA communities were debating whether he was worth a max contract then, when he was at his peak. It wasn't a mega obvious thing, and he's now 7 years older than that coming off statistically a very underwhelming playoff run. Yes they won the title, yes he contributed, no every player on the title winning team does not automatically get a max contract for that.

Fiatil on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I don't think we really need to discuss if he is worth the max.

But is there a team out there, that is willing to pay that? Without being able to name that team - I would say yes, there is. Probably won't be the Warriors though. If getting that max contract is his sole goal - he will get it. Although, he still has another year on his contract with a player option in 23/24. So he'd either have to get a max extension from the Warriors (which I think is unlikely - although, the owners are billionaires, they can afford it) or opt out and get a max contract elsewhere. So at that point he is another year older and who knows what happens next season.

But if he was an unrestricted free agents right now - no doubt there would be team that would throw the max at him. With the way contract values have exploded the last few years? Come on...

you really want me to break it down for you then?
    ok lets look at KD
    he's been in the league for 14 seasons now
    13 out of those 14 seasons he's played with max/maxish players
    3 of those with the warriors which we will put aside since my argument is that dray is responsible for those titles
    2 seasons with the nets (kyrie)
    8 seasons at OKC with Harden and/or Westbrook
    when you've spent 92% of your life in the NBA with at least one maxish player on your team, you being a max player yourself, you should at least have a non draymond title to your name if you want to be called someone who can lift a team to a championship don't you think?
    Point is, at the end of the day, basketball is still a team sport and in this era of basketball, a singular great player, or even two will not get the job done, you need a guy like dray on the floor with you or you aren't likely to make it through the playoffs. It doesn't matter if your a 40 points a night kinda guy, you aren't gonna make it past the competition today if you don't have a guy who can look at a play and figure out how to beat it on the fly on the floor.
    I'll let dray have the last word here

Oh ok, its still a bit. Good to know.