As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] God Roll Guns and Flawless Runs; Tons of Fun in the Light of the Sun

1939495969799»

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Looks like Bungie's gonna reveal big things a little early on August 23.

isn't that just like a week before the end of the season? Do they normally not reveal it until the last minute?

We had nothing revealed about this season until hours before launch.

In this case though, this is liable to be hype for lightfall the next expansion.

Yeah, it's interesting that they're apparently doing the big expansion reveal halfway through the current one rather then at the start of the final season. Must mean that the 'prelude' of sorts is starting early this time.

It’s one day off of when they did the Witch Queen reveal stream last year, so that’s probably why it is when it is, ignoring that the launch delay puts it at a different spot in the content release cycle.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Summer is traditionally when they've done these kind of announcements. But that was back when the expansion launched more in the fall then now when it seems likely to be in the spring.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Should do a betting pool on what exotics from D1 return for Lightfall.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Not Twilight Garrison.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    So, how's Suros in the world of catalysts compare to Suros before a catalyst was a thing? Is the catalyst required to get it to ~previous performance, or is the catalyst a buffed version? (I really did like that gun, and forgot I owned one. Something just so pleasing about the slow fire rate "chunk chunk chunk" thing.)

Edit: Also wait, Hard Light is more than a laserium show now? What? WHAT IS HAPPENING.

dporowski on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Hard Light is fun to see of you can hit a rebounded headshot.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Hard Light is fun to see of you can hit a rebounded headshot.

This is how I use Tresspasser lately to great (comedic) effect

What's that? Teammates in comp wasted all the lives so now I have to kill them 5 times to win?

https://youtu.be/3VraT5fBOTE

Ok

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Fucking hell, Jay.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I ran Nightfalls from rank 1 to 17 with increased rep gains. (Mix of adepts and hero)

How many NF weapon drops though? 0.

Sirialis on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I ran Nightfalls from rank 1 to 17 with increased rep gains. (Mix of adepts and hero)

I just want rat king catalyst!

616610-1.png
    Disrupter wrote: »

Just wait until you see what it takes to unlock the catalyst itself…

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Like 15 minutes on LFG?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I wish there was a match made nightfall. Like the old heroic equivalent or whatever. I’m always a little intimidated trying to get groups together. Like I’ve done the current raid and dungeon once because I saw people asking but I haven’t done most of the harder group content

Like 15 minutes on LFG?

I did this in Season of the Lost with a 6-man astral alignment. Was super fun actually.

I remember seeing a cool stormcaller emote for silver where the Warlock floats and charges electricity between both hands back and forth, I cant find the name of it anywhere, anyone know it? (Also its not Stormcaller’s Patience, that one is completely different.)

Xur has pretty good/great rolls on Armamentarium and Starfire protocol this weekend, both are heavy in resil and discipline (like 30 resil for the Titan chest).

He also has a near-perfect legendary Titan helm, 67 total stats, 20 resil, 10 recovery, 21 dis, 10 strength.

I wonder how long the resil changes will last at their current values. I love it, but passive 40% damage resistance seems too good to pass up.

Dac wrote: »
    I wonder how long the resil changes will last at their current values. I love it, but passive 40% damage resistance seems too good to pass up.

Hopefully "longer than my attention span" because have I ever mentioned how nice it is to not have every single exploding enemy be a one-shot for a change?

edited July 2022
    Hard fought flawless, lots of losses at 5
    b2e0j6n1rhgg.png
    Managed to pull it out but faced some really stiff competition in both the PC and Console pools.

Been playing a little worse this season in trials apparently, my kd is down overall for the season. I think the healing meta + all the Omni hunters is trimming down my Shatterdive kills even further

Local H Jay on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I've been using this to get through my 100 kills seasonal challenges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHlAV9yoYJs&list=WL

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Putting up new thread momentarily. Please watch your arms and legs as you make your way there.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Been playing a little worse this season in trials apparently, my kd is down overall for the season. I think the healing meta + all the Omni hunters is trimming down my Shatterdive kills even further
    Will vouch for that. Shatterdive not as reliable this season with the healing meta.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/51618
    Coming up in Season 18 will be our second go at bringing a raid out of the Destiny Content Vault and this time it’s going to be... [REDACTED]. Sorry, we’re saving the reveal of which raid is coming to Destiny 2 for our Destiny 2 Showcase on August, 23. But we wanted to make sure you had time to make any arrangements necessary to be ready on day-one. So, request off work, hire a babysitter, but don’t skip school please, your education is important.

[REDACTED] raid goes live at 10 AM Pacific on August 26, 2022.

Because this will be a raid that many of you are already somewhat familiar with, we will be changing up the World First race a bit similar to how we did with Vault of Glass. Here is what to expect:
    The raid will launch with Contest Mode enabled for 24 hours.
    You will need to be at 1560 Power to be at the cap for all of the encounters.
    Clearing the raid with Contest Mode active is the first step to access the new Challenge Mode in the Director and the special Triumph for completing all of the challenge Triumphs for each encounter.
    Completing the secret Triumph, a curated list of challenges in this newly unlocked Challenge Mode, will be how a fireteam crosses the World First finish line and claims their prize.
    To enforce the Triumph requirements in the Challenge Mode, your team will wipe if you fail the success conditions during any encounter.

Also, Skill-Based Matchmaking is coming to Crucible, starting with Control. There's a very long writeup of it in the TWAB, with a bunch of stats and information about how and why they're determining that it was needed and how they have determined their goals for the system.
    LET'S TALK ABOUT SKILL AND CONNECTION
    • We know this has been discussed with a lot of passion and goodwill in many places in the community (and inside Bungie), so we are going to give you a clear tl;dr before we get deeper into the how and why:
    • We’re striving towards a goal that all players—including New Lights!—can enter the Crucible and regularly get matches where they can feel competitive and have a reasonable chance of winning/competing.
    • Making fair matches using Skill-Based Matchmaking (SBMM) is going to be important to help meet that goal.
    • We are starting by implementing loose SBMM to the Control playlist at the start of Season 18.
    • Loose SBMM has a wider starting skill-similarity than Survival and should result in matching with a wider variety of players, while also eliminating some of the frustrations we see in our current system.
    • Expect loose SBMM to expand to other playlists in future Seasons as we tune what we consider a "high-quality match" by gathering real data and feedback from you.
    • We are not planning to add it to every matchmade Crucible playlist.
    • We will continue tuning until we are in a good place.
    • We will report tuning updates regularly.
    • We will be implementing a form of fireteam-size-preferred matchmaking in Season 19.

It's really interesting. They measure player skill on a scale of -1000 to 1000, and currently many engagements and matches are basically decided before they start.
    Now, how do these skill numbers actually play out in-game? Here’s a good shorthand we use internally:
    • If someone is 200 skill above you, you can definitely tell they are better than you, and they will win ~75% of engagements against you. The opposite is true if someone is 200 or more below you.
    • By the time you get to a difference of 400, the better players are going to win ~90% of engagements and lower-skilled players need to get extremely lucky to pull off a win.
    • Once you get to a difference of 600 there is basically zero chance for the lower-skilled player to ever win a 1v1 conflict.
    Engagements should get fairer the closer you get to the same skill. This is our goal.

THE PROBLEM SPACE
    As we started looking at the competitive landscape in Destiny, we noted a few things:

Outside of Survival and Elimination, the ability to influence whether your team wins or loses is usually out of your personal control if you are average skill or below (half the population!). This can feel bad, as the match outcome feels essentially random, and you don't feel motivated to try to win. This has contributed to us de-emphasizing winning as a requirement to gain rewards in the Crucible.

The current landscape also allows brand new players to match up with some of the highest skill veterans and are expected to compete. On the flip side, if you are highly skilled, you are often put on a team where it feels like you are carrying them and must constantly perform if you want to stand a chance at winning. This doesn't feel good for anyone.

In Control, the skill disparities on a team can be stark—over 50% of matches have a skill disparity of 900 or more between best and worst player, which is so significant that the outcome is already known before a single shot is fired. On the other hand, in Freelance Survival, 60% of matches have a 250-skill difference or less. This is much more reasonable.
    You should read the whole article. Personally, I'm all for it, I have 0 fun a lot of the time in Crucible because I just get my shit kicked in by players who are obviously miles better than me, and it just feels bad to be stuck in what are basically unwinnable matchups.

Crippl3 on
    Soooo I just discovered a fun if not OP pvp build.

Precision bow with harmony. Plus radiant. Bow swap HC like normal. Then apply radiant, swap back to bow. Enjoy 200 damage headshots.

616610-1.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Coming up in Season 18 will be our second go at bringing a raid out of the Destiny Content Vault and this time it’s going to be... [REDACTED]. Sorry, we’re saving the reveal of which raid is coming to Destiny 2 for our Destiny 2 Showcase on August, 23. But we wanted to make sure you had time to make any arrangements necessary to be ready on day-one. So, request off work, hire a babysitter, but don’t skip school please, your education is important.

Because this will be a raid that many of you are already somewhat familiar with, we will be changing up the World First race a bit similar to how we did with Vault of Glass. Here is what to expect:
    Clearing the raid with Contest Mode active is the first step to access the new Challenge Mode in the Director and the special Triumph for completing all of the challenge Triumphs for each encounter.
    Completing the secret Triumph, a curated list of challenges in this newly unlocked Challenge Mode, will be how a fireteam crosses the World First finish line and claims their prize.
    To enforce the Triumph requirements in the Challenge Mode, your team will wipe if you fail the success conditions during any encounter.

Also, Skill-Based Matchmaking is coming to Crucible, starting with Control. There's a very long writeup of it in the TWAB, with a bunch of stats and information about how and why they're determining that it was needed and how they have determined their goals for the system.
    • We know this has been discussed with a lot of passion and goodwill in many places in the community (and inside Bungie), so we are going to give you a clear tl;dr before we get deeper into the how and why:
    • We’re striving towards a goal that all players—including New Lights!—can enter the Crucible and regularly get matches where they can feel competitive and have a reasonable chance of winning/competing.
    • Making fair matches using Skill-Based Matchmaking (SBMM) is going to be important to help meet that goal.
    • We are starting by implementing loose SBMM to the Control playlist at the start of Season 18.
    • Loose SBMM has a wider starting skill-similarity than Survival and should result in matching with a wider variety of players, while also eliminating some of the frustrations we see in our current system.
    • Expect loose SBMM to expand to other playlists in future Seasons as we tune what we consider a "high-quality match" by gathering real data and feedback from you.
    • We will be implementing a form of fireteam-size-preferred matchmaking in Season 19.

It's really interesting. They measure player skill on a scale of -1000 to 1000, and currently many engagements and matches are basically decided before they start.
    Now, how do these skill numbers actually play out in-game? Here’s a good shorthand we use internally:
    • If someone is 200 skill above you, you can definitely tell they are better than you, and they will win ~75% of engagements against you. The opposite is true if someone is 200 or more below you.
    • By the time you get to a difference of 400, the better players are going to win ~90% of engagements and lower-skilled players need to get extremely lucky to pull off a win.
    • Once you get to a difference of 600 there is basically zero chance for the lower-skilled player to ever win a 1v1 conflict.
    Engagements should get fairer the closer you get to the same skill. This is our goal.

THE PROBLEM SPACE
    As we started looking at the competitive landscape in Destiny, we noted a few things:

Outside of Survival and Elimination, the ability to influence whether your team wins or loses is usually out of your personal control if you are average skill or below (half the population!). This can feel bad, as the match outcome feels essentially random, and you don't feel motivated to try to win. This has contributed to us de-emphasizing winning as a requirement to gain rewards in the Crucible.

The current landscape also allows brand new players to match up with some of the highest skill veterans and are expected to compete. On the flip side, if you are highly skilled, you are often put on a team where it feels like you are carrying them and must constantly perform if you want to stand a chance at winning. This doesn't feel good for anyone.

In Control, the skill disparities on a team can be stark—over 50% of matches have a skill disparity of 900 or more between best and worst player, which is so significant that the outcome is already known before a single shot is fired. On the other hand, in Freelance Survival, 60% of matches have a 250-skill difference or less. This is much more reasonable.
    You should read the whole article. Personally, I'm all for it, I have 0 fun a lot of the time in Crucible because I just get my shit kicked in by players who are obviously miles better than me, and it just feels bad to be stuck in what are basically unwinnable matchups.

the discussion of sbmm in games has become such a funny meme

i recall somebody asserting mw2 didnt have sbmm before the dev who wrote the sbmm implementation in mw2 corrected them

basically sbmm is always good* if the game is good

*assuming sensible parameterisation

but the problem is that a lot of games are really bad when played optimally eg mw2. degenerate vs degenerate is no fun for anybody, but people complained about sbmm because they wanted to be the person doing the degen shit and farming normies

but yeah destiny desperately needs sbmm back and my jaw dropped when they removed it. but then again d2 pvp is already kind of a meme given netcode and other considerations so you know, ymmv. key thing is matchmaking is a tradeoff between game balance, connection quality and queue time. thats why parameters matter

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    I played OW apex, halo back in the day…

I’ve never understood the idea destiny pvp is some joke compared to those games.

I don’t notice any worse network or anything. Let alone compared to garbage games like call of duty which I DO notice it all the time.

I dunno. The idea destiny pvp is less than… baffles me. What are the “real” pvp games that should be taken seriously?

616610-1.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

THE PROBLEM SPACE

the discussion of sbmm in games has become such a funny meme

i recall somebody asserting mw2 didnt have sbmm before the dev who wrote the sbmm implementation in mw2 corrected them

basically sbmm is always good* if the game is good

*assuming sensible parameterisation

but the problem is that a lot of games are really bad when played optimally eg mw2. degenerate vs degenerate is no fun for anybody, but people complained about sbmm because they wanted to be the person doing the degen shit and farming normies

but yeah destiny desperately needs sbmm back and my jaw dropped when they removed it. but then again d2 pvp is already kind of a meme given netcode and other considerations so you know, ymmv. key thing is matchmaking is a tradeoff between game balance, connection quality and queue time. thats why parameters matter

I was completely unsurprised. The streamer/content creator community were bitching about it endlessly and whipping up negative feedback among people who talk about the game online and so they were appeased.

Wrong thread, people. :p

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

brave of u to assume forum denizens are "ppl"....

obF2Wuw.png
    dporowski wrote: »

brave of u to assume forum denizens are "ppl"....

People got mad at me last time I said "meatsacks" instead!

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I never understood the hatred for the old implementation of SBMM which was apparently the devil incarnate. The only major problem was that high skill players got terrible matchmaking times. But the comments on reddit for ages have been the diametrically opposed complaints of "I want fair matches" and "I want chill casual matches instead of tryhard sweatfests". That latter complaint always sounds like "I want consistently easy matches I can win without effort".

The SBMM system just needed to be looser to keep matchmaking times reasonable. Will that result in the top 0.5% of players getting easier matches relative to their skill than others? Sure, but they're already stomping lobbies in CBMM so what's even the concern?

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Arteen wrote: »
    I never understood the hatred for the old implementation of SBMM which was apparently the devil incarnate. The only major problem was that high skill players got terrible matchmaking times. But the comments on reddit for ages have been the diametrically opposed complaints of "I want fair matches" and "I want chill casual matches instead of tryhard sweatfests". That latter complaint always sounds like "I want consistently easy matches I can win without effort".

The SBMM system just needed to be looser to keep matchmaking times reasonable. Will that result in the top 0.5% of players getting easier matches relative to their skill than others? Sure, but they're already stomping lobbies in CBMM so what's even the concern?

I feel like there's not necessarily much overlap between PvP players who play to defeat other players and those who play to compete with other players.

In a different game, the former would be out there ganking low level characters in low level zones, not doing organized PvP.

Kamar on
    speaking as a normie, I did not appreciate when I was getting back into the game, tried Crucible, and spent the entire match getting vaped every time I poked my head around corners. It was such a miserable experience I swore of crucible.

So yeah, some form of SBMM so that bads like me can have a fun match would be nice.

Been trying and failing in trials on this silly map, but I finally focused boots good enough to hit 3×100 for my pvp build:
    3y8w58a5aaiz.png

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Dead thread, but I'm going to comment anyway!

My KDA sits around 0.4 with CBMM. When SBMM was enabled and all the streamers were whinging, my KDA rose up 0.8 and looked like it was going to stabalise around 1.0 - which seems like the system was working! I still do not understand why people would not want to play against others of their same skill level. I mean, in games that I am good at (and there are some believe it or not!) I get -bored- swatting flies and pulling off their wings. I can only assume that those PvP players firmly against SBMM are either complete psychopaths who get their rocks off by stomping ants, or have some other reason that is completely opaque to me at my skill level.

26904.png
    Stupid wrote: »
    Dead thread, but I'm going to comment anyway!

My KDA sits around 0.4 with CBMM. When SBMM was enabled and all the streamers were whinging, my KDA rose up 0.8 and looked like it was going to stabalise around 1.0 - which seems like the system was working! I still do not understand why people would not want to play against others of their same skill level. I mean, in games that I am good at (and there are some believe it or not!) I get -bored- swatting flies and pulling off their wings. I can only assume that those PvP players firmly against SBMM are either complete psychopaths who get their rocks off by stomping ants, or have some other reason that is completely opaque to me at my skill level.

The general argument appears to round down to "I have put in time to become good at PVP therefore I should be rewarded by having easy to win games because I am so good."

Add in the occasional "bad people won't learn anything like they do when they get to play me who is so good at this" and "but if we all have to play games against people as good as we are then we'll have to use the most effective things in order to win and that's not fun".

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'll admit, I do get a little frustrated in lobbies of gilded flawless and Unbroken players when I'm trying out a new gun or class/subclass and get pulverized and "have to" switch to what I know works to feel competitive. I like it when everyone is using whatever and it feels fun and loose, but I understand that playing intensely with the meta is what's fun to some people and I guess I shouldn't yuck their yum either. There's no perfect solution but loose SBMM just feels like common sense, and only loose enough to ensure good connections.

edited August 2022
    The argument that is sympathetic to me from top players is that the matchmaking times and connection quality is terrible when sbmm is a heavy factor

My buddy is insane at destiny pvp and he would have a very hard time finding matches and they were often laggy shit shows.

And also when I would play with him I would get wrecked constantly but that’s a personal issue!

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png