As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extremely serious money and inheritance problems

DockenDocken Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
so... I am looking down the barrel of total devastation for me and my family, due to this sub-prime crisis.

My family is pretty well off, and has been for quite some time. My dad, now in partial retirement, has been on the stock market for years, supplementing is his outcome and it has generally served us well. However, I have noticed a trend that started with 9/11 and has reached what appears to be its terrible conclusion today. Over the years, my dad has been receiving poorer and poorer returns (as a said, 9/11 started and took a big chunk of our capital due to improperly hedged positions on the part of my dad).

Today my Dad revealed the full extent of his losses on the market, and it tops $300k. This is due to the fact that two large funds that he heavily invested in collapsed. It`s a huge blow and I still don`t know just how hard this will hit, but it will hit exceedingly hard, especially considering that we sold our house and are renting, in order to invest more.

The problem is, my Dad has been holding my inheritance for years, on the understanding that when I moved out I would use it to buy a house. A quick glance over our position tells me that he can`t give me that money anymore... I mean, he has the reserves, but doing so would completely screw him and my Mom, as their lease is coming up soon and it will definately be upped. Finding alternative housing would be a terrible blow for my Mother especially, considering she has always trusted my Dad to protect and look after her.

'This is just so upsetting (my Mom doesn`t even know yet) and I am now out of a potential home. I was planning to buy mid-way through this year, though I guess I could rent... the problem is where I live the rental market is astronomically expensive and many people have fallen into the rental trap (my work colleages all rent and are in their mid-30s - I am in my mid 20s and the prospect of renting for a decade does not appeal).

I am sorry this post is so long, it`s just that... I don`t know what to do. It`s like there is no way out and all I can see is this long spiral into oblivion and I can`t do anything about it, either for me or my parents... If I take the money, I screw them. If I don`t, I screw myself...

Docken on

• Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Life ain't fair, kid.

Having to build up your own bank account isn't the worst fate in the world.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Docken wrote: »
    If I take the money, I screw them. If I don`t, I screw myself...

Wow, you sound like a really nice person. I bet your parents are proud.

Rook on
  • Options
    MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How old are you? Are you going to college? Did you just graduate college? I understand your frustration, and it must be terribly disappointing to not receive something that you had always thought was going to be there when the time came. Was this inheritance you were going to receive from your grandparents, or was it from your parents? I ask because it's one thing actually having it and letting your father manage it and ultimately lose it, and it's another thing of just expecting it.

What city do you live in that the rent is astronomically expensive? Is it an area of the city or the actual city itself. Either way, other people must be doing it, so it certainly means you can do it to. This also doesn't mean you'll never be able to purchase a house. It'll take a lot of saving and sacrificing on your behalf, but it's certainly doable. Perhaps you'd be able to ask your parents for 10% of the house cost and let them keep the rest, and this way you can purchase a house (if you can afford it - don't get yourself screwed) and be building equity instead of renting.

Seriously, billions of people in the history of mankind have been living their lives and buying houses without inheritance - you'll be OK.

MrOletta on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    PirateJon wrote: »

This.

Renting for a while - or even living with your parents for some time - isn't exactly horrible. If renting is expensive where you are, surely buying a house is, too?

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    Docken wrote: »
    If I take the money, I screw them. If I don`t, I screw myself...

Wow, you sound like a really nice person. I bet your parents are proud.

Hey fuck you buddy. Here I am extremely upset, looking at what I thought was my future disintegrate before my eyes, and you go and be a fucking dick.

Jesus christ, I thought this was a good idea, but if I am just going to get fuckwit remarks like that I guess I should not have bothered.
    Burnage wrote: »
    PirateJon wrote: »

This.

Renting for a while - or even living with your parents for some time - isn't exactly horrible. If renting is expensive where you are, surely buying a house is, too?

Yeah, I mean that is the only honourable thing to do. My dad has really messed things up... At this stage its going to be really tough supporting myself... the rental market where I am is absolutely brutal. The problem I really can't stay with my parents either, as that just puts a strain on them now. Up until today it was doable, but not so much anymore.

It's just... I don't have the money, and I am currently recovering from a knee reconstruction and broken leg (don't ask, terrible luck), which put me out $15k, so my emergency money for this type of stuff is non-existent... I don't even have any money more furniture...

Docken on
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    my work colleages all rent and are in their mid-30s - I am in my mid 20s and the prospect of renting for a decade does not appeal

Things can change, even if you do have to rent, you may not need to keep doing so for 10 years if you play things right.
    f I take the money, I screw them. If I don`t, I screw myself...

It sounds like the first thing that needs to be done is making sure everyone in your family knows exactly what's going on, and what you're worried about. After that, as someone else has mentioned already, maybe you should consider talking to your parents about a compromise, giving you enough for a down payment on a house (instead of buying outright), and let them keep the rest.
    I don`t know what to do. It`s like there is no way out and all I can see is this long spiral into oblivion and I can`t do anything about it, either for me or my parents... If I take the money, I screw them. If I don`t, I screw myself...

You'll do what the rest of us without large inheritances do (or at least I thought you would before you edited and added the bit about medical bills) ....If they can't give you enough for a down payment, you'll rent and find a way to raise one, then move.

I can certainly understand how you would feel this way, and I really do sympathize, but - as someone who is currently renting and in his mid 20's (and in the DC metro area, no less), it is most certainly not a "long spiral into oblivion"

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Let your parents take it. You are still young. If you can get any job that is worth a damn you can have a good house sometime in the next few years. Yea it sucks to lose a bunch of cash but sometimes it happens.

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    What were you originally planning to buy? Could you still buy something smaller or in a cheaper area? Were you originally planning to buy outright? Could you instead get a mortgage or a larger mortgage in order to buy?

You need to re-orientate. People manage without a lump-sum to kick start their new home. They rent until they can afford to buy, they buy somewhere cheaper to get themselves on the property ladder, maybe they wait until they are in a two-income household before buying (eg, they get married or buy with a partner), they do without so they can save up a deposit for a home.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Relax. Take deep breaths.

Are you in college, out of college, or what? And what city are you in?

You're just going to have to either live with your parents or find an apartment, maybe with a couple roommates if you really can't afford one on your own. And save money until you can afford something else.

LadyM on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What were you originally planning to buy? Could you still buy something smaller or in a cheaper area? Were you originally planning to buy outright? Could you instead get a mortgage or a larger mortgage in order to buy?

You need to re-orientate. People manage without a lump-sum to kick start their new home. They rent until they can afford to buy, they buy somewhere cheaper to get themselves on the property ladder, maybe they wait until they are in a two-income household before buying (eg, they get married or buy with a partner), they do without so they can save up a deposit for a home.

You are right, I do need to re-orientate. It's like someone has just cracked me in the head and I am still coming out of a dizzy spell... I just need to concentrate on myself for the moment, as thinking about my parent's future will probably make me cry...

I originally had enough money to put down 50% on a typical apartment in an area reasonably close to work, with the other 50% coming from a mortgage which I have the income to support (though it would have been tight, it would have been doable as long as I only went out once a month or so).

After today's news, I have no lump sum, along with very little savings. The only houses I could afford would be around 2 hours or so to work via public transport (I don't own a car). Plus those areas are massively depressed due to the sub-prime collapse and will not being going up in value for a long, long time. I thought about it, but it just doesn't make good economic sense to make that kind of move.

To be honest, doing the numbers, there is no type of house I can realistically afford - the mortgage would either be too high, or the apartment would be too small and would thus I would not be able to get a loan for it as banks have a minimum land area criteria (I have a lot of knowledge about this as I used to work in this area).

It's just that I am so unprepared for this... any advice on how to approach renting? I never spent any time researching this subject because I never expected myself to be in this position? Like, how much as a percentage of my income should be allocated to rent? Are there any things I should avoid, or actively look out for? I have no experience... it's actually scaring me a lot...
    LadyM wrote: »
    Relax. Take deep breaths.

Are you in college, out of college, or what? And what city are you in?

You're just going to have to either live with your parents or find an apartment, maybe with a couple roommates if you really can't afford one on your own. And save money until you can afford something else.

Got out of college last year, have worked for 1 year now. Thinking about it, after today I need to act quickly in order to ease the burden on my parents...

Room-mates? Maybe that's not such a bad idea...

Docken on
  • Options
    PorkChopSandwichesPorkChopSandwiches Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    One thing I am curious about - you said your parents sold their house in order to invest more. Did anyone advise them to do this? This just seems like an odd thing to do. They basically traded their most stable investment for an unstable one.

You will be able to buy a house sooner than you think. Manage your credit wisely, and make sure you establish your credit. Pay your credit cards in a timely manner, and when it comes time to buy, you'll be in a much better position. Investigate buying a house with one of your coworkers if that is an option.

Also, remember that although a house or apartment is an investment, it is first and foremost the place you are going to live. If you can live comfortably in a house that will not gain much value over the next few years, then you still come out better than renting, right?

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I wouldn't know where to begin giving advice for rent in your area, but a left-field thought has just struck me. Would staying with your parents for a while longer be completely out of the question? Pay them rent and contribute to the utility and shopping bills so you can get a feel for having regular monthly outgoings, plus it sounds like they could use the extra money themselves just now (for God's sake, don't sponge off them! Refuse not to pay your way if they try to turn down money). In the meantime, resolve to save as much money as possible so you can raise a modest deposit for a future purchase.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I've always heard that 30%-35% of your post tax income is where you should max out your spending on housing. Just find a number that you can be comfortable with based on your current income. Then, when your income increases, you can dedicate more money to saving.

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Don't sweat the harshness dude. Yes, this is a huge blow to your life plans, but for someone that's come from nothing - living out of a car - your plight would have been a step up.
    It's just that I am so unprepared for this... I never spent any time researching this subject because I never expected myself to be in this position? ...I have no experience... it's actually scaring me a lot...

This is the heart of the matter.

Step One - Deep breath. You are a capable bright person and you can do this.

Step two - research. Don't trust me or anyone else to do your homework. Read up on that stuff. Take a grain of salt any advice where the person gets something out of it. Google is your friend, so is this forum, and so are your friends and family. Ask, listen, learn.

Step three - there's no secret to life or renting houses or anything. There are just normal people who try their best. Do your homework and make the best call you can. Don't get bogged down in trying to do everything perfect (you can't) and don't sweat it too hard when you fail (you will).

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You should have been saving cash anyway. I moved in with my inlaws and we saved a TON of money when not paying rent & other things... regardless if you had a down payment already, there are a ton of other things you will need to buy.

its also possible to get an 80/20 loan.. with the '20' being a 2ns loan for the down payment... i don't know where you are, or what you can afford, but while this might lower your total house price some, its better in the long run. Especially with rates this low.

Its your first house. Nobody can afford the dream house they want at first.. unless you are in an area where you have awesome income and cheap houses... it takes you selling house to be able to move up to that next level....

and if you live in CA or some other 'hot zone', you are daft for buying there anyway.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm not sure of your family's bank account, but if you guys lost 300k, and it is a serious problem, perhaps your Dad has a gambling/investment problem and should not be in control of the family finances anymore? It seems hard to believe that someone could lose that much money if that money was a crucial to plans the family had made. Perhaps he should relinquish control to a mutual, or if you guys still have the assets, a hedge.

The reason people were being dicks is you are acting like life is over because you don't get a free house. Most people are not going to give you sympathy since that plan changed.

Basically, if you have already been working a year, and are competitive and in a stable job market, you don't have anything to worry about.

You'll do it like most other people have to, except for the fact you still have a leg up due to already being done with school and probably not being in debt for it, and already having job experience.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm not sure of your family's bank account, but if you guys lost 300k, and it is a serious problem, perhaps your Dad has a gambling/investment problem and should not be in control of the family finances anymore? It seems hard to believe that someone could lose that much money if that money was a crucial to plans the family had made. Perhaps he should relinquish control to a mutual, or if you guys still have the assets, a hedge.

The reason people were being dicks is you are acting like life is over because you don't get a free house. Most people are not going to give you sympathy since that plan changed.

Basically, if you have already been working a year, and are competitive and in a stable job market, you don't have anything to worry about.

You'll do it like most other people have to, except for the fact you still have a leg up due to already being done with school and probably not being in debt for it, and already having job experience.

He had invested it into two AAA rated funds that were operated by two leading banking institutions. Both funds collapsed.

I am acting like my life is over because this will very likely mean that my parents will have to move out of the place we are currently staying in to a much smaller place. It means in a very real sense that the life I had planned for is finished, and now I have to start a new one. True it is a recoverable set back, but will mean that I will do it tough for quite some time now. Sure, plenty of people do it tough, but that doesn't diminish my predicament. It also means that my Mother will be devastated that her hopes and dreams have been dashed by no fault of her own.

So yeah, forgive me for being a little upset.
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    You should have been saving cash anyway. I moved in with my inlaws and we saved a TON of money when not paying rent & other things... regardless if you had a down payment already, there are a ton of other things you will need to buy.

its also possible to get an 80/20 loan.. with the '20' being a 2ns loan for the down payment... i don't know where you are, or what you can afford, but while this might lower your total house price some, its better in the long run. Especially with rates this low.

Its your first house. Nobody can afford the dream house they want at first.. unless you are in an area where you have awesome income and cheap houses... it takes you selling house to be able to move up to that next level....

and if you live in CA or some other 'hot zone', you are daft for buying there anyway.

By 10 months, I had saved $30k. Due to my injuries, I had to spend $15-16K in medical fees. I will now spend about a thousand more on rehab. On top of that I bought a computer to help entertain me, I was I was rendered fairly immobile for 3 solid months (though I still managed to get into work for 2 of those 3 months).

That leaves me with $12k in savings. Whilst a reasonable amount it is a pittance in terms of getting a house/apartment, plus in the country I live in, interest rates are the highest they have been in 15 years and my area is a "hot" zone, which means don't bother with anything under $400k. Unfortunately those are the unalterable facts, so I have to live with them.

Docken on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What about what I suggested earlier? Pool your resources with your parents, they don't loose the house, you have somewhere nice to live and because you're in a shared income residence, the overall cost of living is much cheaper for you than if you were living alone.

Living with your parents is a long way off the American Dream (or anybodies dream for that matter), but desperate times etc. and you could be living in much worse places.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That leaves me with $12k in savings. Whilst a reasonable amount it is a pittance in terms of getting a house/apartment

Then you need to seriously consider renting a house or apartment, and not buying.

Yes, you've made it clear you hate the idea.

It sounds like it's going to come down to either doing that or being in an even worse situation, however - you're going to have to compromise on your dreams somewhere for now, no matter how painful it is.
    It means in a very real sense that the life I had planned for is finished, and now I have to start a new one. True it is a recoverable set back, but will mean that I will do it tough for quite some time now. Sure, plenty of people do it tough, but that doesn't diminish my predicament. It also means that my Mother will be devastated that her hopes and dreams have been dashed by no fault of her own.

So yeah, forgive me for being a little upset.

Yeah, believe it or not, some of us sorta know how you feel....Due to a combination of some investments tanking and now getting a divorce, my parents have basically had their retirement plans beaten down - my dad's had to leave the house I grew up in for 20 years, and my mom will probably leave also soon and just sell it.

Who knows what I might have inherited or how much closer I might be to buying a house if they stayed together and still had their finances in decent enough shape to help out.

Again, life will go on if you put some work into staying on your feet and making some necessary sacrifices. You're not the first one to be in this sort of situation.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aye, don't worry my friend. You're going to come out of this okay. Though it would've been nice to have a house paid for, you just have to remember that most people don't have that kind of "lucky in"... and most people end up just fine.

It would've been a great thing, but since you have to do without (and indeed, you have to: there's no way that your parents COULD give you what's left even if they wanted to, at the age they're likely at... retirement, bills related to old age health problems, etc... await them for the rest of their lives), just follow the advice above. Try an apartment for a while, build up your savings.

It'll take a lot longer than if it was handed to you, but you can do it. Indeed, millions of people in America do it every day.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm a little confused about the inheritance part...If it's a true inheritance, as in money left specifically for you, then how is it money that you would be taking away from your parents? If instead you mean that your parents were going to give you money, that's a different story - it's their money, not yours.

If it really is an inheritance, I'm going to go against the general consensus here and say you should not give it to your parents. Your father has made some very bad decisions in investing. Chances are, he'll make bad decisions again with that money and you're essentially only putting a bandaid on the situation.

Also, from what I know about home loans, it's very unusual to put 50% down on your first home. What you might think about doing is waiting until you can actually afford a mortgage with only putting 20%. Then you can use that extra 30% to temporarily help your folks out and get yourself set up renting an relatively inexpensive apartment and buy the necessities for your place.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just rent an apartment with some room mates like virtually every other person our age? It sucks to lose money on the market, but that's a risk you have to take with the socially lauded gambling that is the stock market. If you're a college graduate with solid work you're doing way better than most of the world. Just rent an apartment with a few people, work, save up money, enjoy life. Money is a means to an end, not the end all be all.

Misanthropic on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dont worry about things. I moved out with $0.00 in the bank, and I'm still doing alright. You don't need huge bank accounts to move out or to survive. If you did, then everyone in our society would be rich. And god knows I'm not :p

The secret to living truly cheap is roommates. San Diego here is not incredibly expensive, like some places, but it still ranks pretty high up there in terms of cost. The lowest price you can get for even a studio here pushes 900 dollars, which is a bit much for a piddly-minimum-wage worker like myself. So I got a 2-bedroom ($950.00-$1100.00) with three roommates (me plus 3 more, we each share a room with 1 person, plus common areas) ($240.00-$275.00). See how easy that was?

if you have friends to move in with, friends that you can move in with that have a desire to, then, by all means, take it. Not only do you get cheap living, but you also (hopefully, depending on the relationship with your friends) get a really unique and fun living experience out of it. I know I'll be moving out eventually and not be with my friends anymore, but it's such an awesome way to live that I'll definitely be sad to see it go.

Rend on
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It seems to me that your next step is to start renting - expensive or not, you're right when you say that 12k isn't going to get you a house/condo. If you were able to save 30k in 10 months you're going to be in pretty good shape long-term. You will definitely be saving less once you start renting, but as long as you don't get a place well outside of your budget you'll be able to put some money away every monty. Then you just grind it until you have a suitable downpayment. This is not remotely the end of your world - in fact renting a place (and probably moving on occasion) will probably give you some additional insight into things you want/need from a home once you're in position to buy. There is no reason you can't have a quite comfortable life renting, and it sounds like you should be able to pull it off without too much trouble. I encourage you to not fall into the trap of thinking that renting = throwing money away. You're paying for a place to live, and you can absolutely turn a rental unit into a decent home.

Finally, have you considered moving? 30k in ten months would seem to indicate a pretty well-paying job; if you can't find a way to rent a place (and yes a roommate might be a necessity), maybe you need to consider living in a different area of the country. Hell, you might get a higher-paying job with cheaper housing to boot.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    so let me get this straight. You're in your mid 20's, and your magic money your parents were going to give you no longer exists. And instead of having your house provided to you, you'll have to earn it yourself. Welcome to the real world. I don't think you're going to find much sympathy here.

Work, make money, save, and buy a house, like 99% of the rest of the world has to do.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is this actual inheritance (like from a relative or something), or just money that your parents were saving for you?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's not magic money, it's money that he was told was his. Imagine if your parents say "For your birthday, we'll give you $100." Your birthday rolls around, and a week before, they say "sorry, that money's gone, we lost it." You had plans for it. The higher than sum becomes, the more serious the plans. Since his dad was investing all of this money, he should have told his son as soon as it happened. It sounds like it was delayed quite a bit, though, hence his shock.

He knows he can't get the money now, so he's asking how to deal with it. He didn't even lose it through any of his own actions, so it's not surprising that he's a little upset about it. The fact that he hasn't disowned his parents and still wants them to live happy lives w/o taking what was pledged to be "his" means that he didn't expect the money at any cost, but that he believed it was "extra" that was set aside for him to use for serious purchases (house, etc.).

That being said, Docken, this is not a "problem" so much as a setback for you. The money is gone, and there's nothing you can do about it. You have to develop new plans, and deal with this setback with a new outlook, rather than wallow in your lack of a future house.

However, and I don't mean this to dump on you, you did one really stupid thing. You didn't maintain health insurance, which sucked $15+ out of your savings. If you didn't have that savings, you would be destitute. More importantly, GET HEALTH INSURANCE. It would be exceedingly bad luck if you ended up in the hospital again in a year or two, just when you start to get on your feet financially, but you seem to have a bit of bad luck. I know a guy who purposefully doesn't buy health insurance, and then had to get xrays and was out almost a thousand bucks, and bitched about it for over a year (while he was paying for it). I just got an xray 2 weeks ago and it cost me $5.40.

I know that hindsight doesn't help current situations, but if you had health insurance you wouldn't've lost $15k over what I assume is random bad luck. It's worse financially than a bad investment because in an investment you can only lose the money you invested. With medical bills, they don't care how much you have and can whack you into debt in no time.

You have an excellent base with over $10k in the bank. Live cheaply for a year or two, and maybe keep an open mind about moving to a cheaper area. It sucks that you can't start your adult life with what you were planning, but that doesn't mean you need to live like you're homeless. I've run into this with a lot of people who come from more well-to-do families -- they have preconceived notions of what MUST be in a house or condo, or that they MUST live in a certain area. Inevitably they end up priced out of areas because the places they're looking are for older families with higher incomes. Having to "settle for less" is a big shock and disappointment. Even you pointed out that with your inheritance, you'd only be able to scrape by with the kind of things you were looking at. That's not all that cool of a place to buy -- it's far better to live where you can afford, rather than what you assume is "best."

So maybe that involves moving, or a new job. I'd use this as an opportunity to explore that option.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Money doesn't make you happy. I'm surrounded by rich people constantly (seriously rich people some of them) and they are no happier than anyone else. They tend to go skiing a lot and have lots of shoes.

Still, bad luck. You've probably come off fairly light with this sub-prime nonsense though, my impression is it's pretty much ruined quite a lot of communities (especially poor ones).

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You do realize that a house doesn't define you right? Maybe you're oversimplifying things too much, but what I get from your posts are waah, I can't buy a house anymore and I may be forced to *gasp* rent. I'm really having a hard time understanding why that's a big deal or why it affects your plans so much. If you said you were using that money for college, or to pay loans, then yeah..but really? Your biggest problem right now is that you might not get an inheritance and ONLY have 12k in your bank account?

Rent. Work. Stop whining.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I feel that you're pretty dadgum selfish for talking about your dad the way you do. You act lie his pride isn't hurting, like he doesn't know whats going on right now. It happens in the stock market. It sucks man and I'm sorry.

I don't think this is a big deal. I thought this would be about you being worried about supporting your family or something, but you're upset you cannot buy a house when you planned to. You'll be ok. I think you need to reevaluate what is important.

SoonerMan on
    Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
  • Options
    NateVaderNateVader Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Look on craigslist, find somewhere you can afford to live. Roommates=cheaper.

Move there.

Work.

Save movey.

Eventually buy your own place.

Welcome to the real world where large sums of money aren't given to you.

NateVader on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Look, it's cute that everyone is trying to get their licks in on this guy, but if you suddenly found out that your dad had somehow misplaced X thousands of dollers promised to you, I bet you'd all be upset too.

My advice is to try and live with your parents or family for as long as it takes to get what you need. I can't imagine it'd be a problem especially in light of your fathers lack of finances.

Save up, put money in a CD or something to make a little extra (if you don't need it right away) and save save save!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

And for many people, moving in with your in-laws is tantamount to slitting your wrists. Jeez. Also, how many people save cash during college? It's a money sink! Everyone graduating is in debt, they aren't sitting on Scrooge McDuck money bins. How much money to you think he'll have?! I have a grand total of about 25000 USD in debt, almost two years after I finished uni.

And honestly, how many people does everyone know who are in the mid-20s who own a house? I'm mid-20s. None of my friends own a house. No-one I know under 30 owns a house. No-one is becoming destitute. No-one is eating off the ground.

I honestly don't know how most of the people in the thread seem to think that owning any property a year after college is in any way standard practice.

OP: I know it sucks that you were promised money that you now can't have, but perhaps this is a good thing. You can start to think about what it means to be financially independent. And it feels great. So just suck it up, go out and get a job, and start renting until you can afford to do whatever you need to.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why don't you get a thirty year mortgage like most of us do and in the future don't invest money that you don't have. It's not a very good practice and you're fortunate that only your hopes were dashed.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Why don't you get a thirty year mortgage like most of us do and in the future don't invest money that you don't have. It's not a very good practice and you're fortunate that only your hopes were dashed.

He didn't invest it.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Look at it this way; your dad lost $300,000, and is renting.

You've lost nothing (the money was never yours, technically), and will be renting. Who's problems would you rather have?

I remember my mom telling me she would give me her house when she moved. Turns out she actually wanted the money from it when she sold it, go figure. :P No big deal. I didn't even think twice about it. She needed that money for her new house and retirement. I'm fine on my own, and honestly don't need any money from her.

Sometimes parents promise more than they can afford to. As an adult, it's your job to recognize your own independence and make your own way in the world. After you've reached 18, they don't really have any more legal obligations to provide for you. Think of you inheritance as something that you'll have to sacrifice to ensure your parents are set for retirement. Don't fuck them over in their later years just to make things easier for yourself.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I know this sucks and I certainly feel sorry for you.

However it really isn't the end of the world. Your life isn't over, it just isn't quite as easy as you thought it would be.

I'm going to assume you have a job and you make some sort of reasonable amount of money. Here's what a lot of normal people do because most people's parents aren't able to give their kids a lot of money.

1. Get a place to rent. Preferrably with roommates to keep the cost down. - Sure it isn't always fun "throwing money away on rent" or having a roommate, but it isn't all bad. There is a lot of stuff involved in home ownership. You usually have a pretty heft mortgage and given your situation I'd assume you'd likely not have enough down payment to avoid mortgage insurance, where you spend extra money each month that you don't get back. Not to mention you're responsible for all the upkeep in your house. Who knows what could go bad in it. Your water heater might break or whatever. Sure owning is better than renting, but at your age renting is fine.

2. Balance your budget and just save a little bit of money over time. Try to stash some cash in a high yield savings account if you're not comfortable with investing (and I can imagine you're not after all this). Sure you won't be owning a home as soon as you wanted to, but you'd be surprised at what you'll be able to save up.

3. Just keep saving and maybe you'll meet someone and get married. Believe it or not, it is a lot easier to buy a place with 2 people than with one person. You'll both be saving money towards a common goal.

4. Marry a sugar mama :P

I wish you the best of luck. Just remember to chill out and relax, I promise the world is not over and you're not doomed for the rest of your life.

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »

And for many people, moving in with your in-laws is tantamount to slitting your wrists. Jeez. Also, how many people save cash during college? It's a money sink! Everyone graduating is in debt, they aren't sitting on Scrooge McDuck money bins. How much money to you think he'll have?! I have a grand total of about 25000 USD in debt, almost two years after I finished uni.

And honestly, how many people does everyone know who are in the mid-20s who own a house? I'm mid-20s. None of my friends own a house. No-one I know under 30 owns a house. No-one is becoming destitute. No-one is eating off the ground.

I honestly don't know how most of the people in the thread seem to think that owning any property a year after college is in any way standard practice.

OP: I know it sucks that you were promised money that you now can't have, but perhaps this is a good thing. You can start to think about what it means to be financially independent. And it feels great. So just suck it up, go out and get a job, and start renting until you can afford to do whatever you need to.

I'm in my mid-20s and I own a house. In fact, most of my friends (who are mainly teachers, so aren't making huge wads of cash) also purchased a house in their mid-20s.

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »

He didn't invest it.

I was speaking metaphorically. That's why after I mentioned that only his hopes were dashed. See, cause he was investing in the idea of owning a home with this money.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »

He didn't invest it.

I was speaking metaphorically. That's why after I mentioned that only his hopes were dashed. See, cause he was investing in the idea of owning a home with this money.

ooohhhh

gotcha

Xaquin on
This discussion has been closed.