As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Manic Mon-Day

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Manic Mon-Day!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Manic Mon-Day

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    I'll just hint at the Vaporeon copypasta for research and let ya'll decide if that potential type of outcome is worth cross pollinating genres that maybe shouldn't be cross pollinated, but instead kept separate with a nuclear enforced DMZ.

• Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    If Persona can mix RPG combat with dating sim elements, I don't see why tactical combat and visual novel elements can't work as well.

FireballDragon on
  • Options
    PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    I always thought Visual Novel was kind of like Walking Simulator in that it's defined more by what it doesn't have.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    I used to hate visual novels.
    But then I played Phoenix Wright.
    Now, I hate visual novels except Phoenix Wright.

• Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    Pyrian wrote: »
    I always thought Visual Novel was kind of like Walking Simulator in that it's defined more by what it doesn't have.

Nah, I think just the presence of long scrolling text with choices that affect the story makes it qualify as a Visual Novel. It's just that games can have multiple genres that either coexist or overlap. Persona being the classic example - an adventure/JRPG with a VN attached.

It kind of helps if the writing on a VN is decent. So many of the early ones were very poorly translated from their Japanese counterparts, and because they tended to be niche they mostly ported the weeb bait which gave them a terrible reputation in the west. That's the hard part with VN's, they're a novel which means the writing has to be well above the standard for video games (even modern games tend to be very simple stories, during the early days of video games they were absolute trash).

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I like the idea that a regular novel isn't visual, just for pedantry's sake

How you seeing those words, huh

(Disclaimers for audio books and Braille)

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    fkbcon6eakwr.png

not my type, really

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Hot single mons in your area now!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    If Persona can mix RPG combat with dating sim elements, I don't see why tactical combat and visual novel elements can't work as well.

I’m sure they can work just fine if you like both of those things. But if you hate one of them with a fiery corrosive passion, the presence of one will probably spoil the whole.

It’s like if you get a glass of tasty juice with a small piece of shit in it. You probably aren’t going to want to drink that at all, even if at least half of it is the thing you like.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    c553a48bseme.png
    Old video game writing was great

• Options
    Armored ChocoboArmored Chocobo Registered User regular
    People were clearly not paying attention to what little advertising it had, cuz I saw that Visual Novel DNA even from the first trailer.

Actually I assumed it was mostly visual novel, and I was very disappointed in the lack of Survival elements. I didn't see any of the RPG stuff till the discourse started.