As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    every enemy you shoot falls off the balcony, even if they have to stumble fifty feet to do so

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    every enemy you shoot falls off the balcony, even if they have to stumble fifty feet to do so

Every single one is a Wilhelm Scream

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Or a Howie Scream

https://youtu.be/aUTe2ndjRew

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Just use any American Laser Game title as a benchmark, they have it to a science.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrDcWrGvTt8

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Anyone playing Thymesia?

The first environment is super bland and the story is barely there, but the combat is fun as hell so far, so I'm sticking with it.

However I'm completely stuck on the first real boss. This bastard magician is probably the hardest first boss I've ever seen in a video game. Total glass chewer.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    It's funny that a glorified version of Maddog Mcree is used by the actual US Army for training to this day

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbOkqr54ls4

this video brings great joy

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Someone linked Lenny a few months back and I immediately binged everything. Been eagerly anticipating this one.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    54 minutes

• Options
    54 minutes

Look, listen...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    54 minutes

54 minutes of pure GAMER KNOWLEDGE, emotional HIGHS and LOWS, families coming TOGETHER and UNKNOWN STRATEGIES being unearthed

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    i'm sorry I can only watch lenny content where he kills things with a broken sword and yells at himself with a text-to-speech character

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Steelrising feels pretty solid through its first few areas. Not free of jank, but to me it feels better than The Surge or Ashen or Lords of the Fallen or Mortal Shell.

Decent weapon variety even just in the early game, looks like some amount of build variety, enemy variety hasn't dried up yet, and it doesn't seem like it will be really short like Mortal Shell.

I'd hesitate to get it if your computer isn't at minimum in the ballpark of current gen consoles, though. I've seen performance complaints as one of the few consistent negatives and I'm personally floating between like 55 and 80 fps at 1080p on the default settings with a RX 6600 and 3700x .

Kamar on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I started playing Steelrising myself just a few days ago. I like it, it's pretty neat, but boy howdy do these enemies input read like nobody's business. Especially the spear+cannon jackasses. They'll start a swing and delay if you hit parry so you whiff, then stab you. If you don't hit parry and wait for the delay, there won't be one- they'll stab you immediately.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Since beating Elden Ring ive been living in the souls universe game hopping. Well today I took the time to progress in ds1 and just got one more thing to do.
    zloert3240p8.jpg

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Honestly that's all I need to play through that game.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    A 60fps bloodborne remake would be wildly successful.

I'm surprised it's not been rolled out as a PS5 exclusive.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    A 60fps bloodborne remake would be wildly successful.

I'm surprised it's not been rolled out as a PS5 exclusive.

You and the rest of the world. It's the most popular game on PS4 and it is woefully ignored.

• Options
    I didn't think Bloodborne even sold that well?

• Options
    I didn't think Bloodborne even sold that well?

More than Nier: Automata, just behind GTA5.

Also the only game I know anyone bought the console for, like I own a PS4 and Bloodborne and literally no other games for it and I'm not alone in that.

• Options
    I wouldnt be surprised if it drops after this MS/Activision thing ends. Doing Bloodborne while it was on the horizon or ongoing would be huge ammunition for MS/Activision.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    My money is on a game that sold 2 million copies isn't going to go through the remake process after the Demon's Souls remake only sold like 1.5.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    My money is on a game that sold 2 million copies isn't going to go through the remake process after the Demon's Souls remake only sold like 1.5.

???

am I missing something here, it seems like your sense of what games should sell is skewed...?

I got that information on Bloodborne sales from the Wikipedia page on 'best selling PS4 games', where it's #22.

Demon's Souls is one of only three games that have sold more than a million copies on PS5, the other two being FF16 (3m) and Ratchet and Clank (1.1m).

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Kamar wrote: »

???

am I missing something here, it seems like your sense of what games should sell is skewed...?

I got that information on Bloodborne sales from the Wikipedia page on 'best selling PS4 games', where it's #22.

Demon's Souls is one of only three games that have sold more than a million copies on PS5, the other two being FF16 (3m) and Ratchet and Clank (1.1m).

Wikipedia is wrong.

Horizon Forbidden West sold 8.4 million copies between PS4 and PS5 and isn't on either list.

God of War: Ragnarok sold 11 million, not on either list.

Miles Morales, Gran Turismo 7, etc.

I find it difficult to believe that all of these games sold purely on the PS4, especially when the PS5 is the clear leader in the current gen (minus the switch, of course). What's happening is Sony is combining PS4 and PS5 game sales in press releases. And that number is only going up.

Bloodborne is a small fish that is probably going to require a complete rewrite, at least according to the guy who made the initial 60 fps patch, and I don't see it happening. Possibly ever.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the 2 million number is from 2015

it's certainly above 3 by now, maybe 4 or 5

• Options
    3 seems reasonable

I just don't see it being a game Sony invests AAA money in after Demon's Souls remake was a huge hyped up thing in the Souls community then didn't sell very well. Which sucks, because I would love to play a 60 fps modernized Bloodborne. Hell, I'd just like to play it at all.

• Options
    Demon Souls is still Demon Souls though. 1.5 million copies sold when it was also on plus is a success.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    it's really hard to gauge the success of early ps5 stuff

demon's souls sales were probably pretty reasonable for a launch title for how difficult the console was to get. they're not bonkers, but for a straight remake of a 2009 game released when it did, i doubt it's that bad. ratchet and clank did similar numbers. they were also intended to sell consoles, so raw numbers aren't everything.

and the elephant of the room is that since either bloodborne and demon's souls came out, elden ring sold 20 million copies to the normal people

i agree that there's a good chance sony just doesn't give a shit, but it's because they're short-sighted, not because they're making a sober numbers call. sony leadership's been kinda shit for the past few years.

Elendil on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be surprised if it drops after this MS/Activision thing ends. Doing Bloodborne while it was on the horizon or ongoing would be huge ammunition for MS/Activision.

huh?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »

huh?

The ongoing merger fight. This statement was just a musing. FFXVI was brought up in the proceeding and it seemed pretty embarrassing against Sony's argument from listening to it.

• Options
    regarding the difficulty of patching bloodborne to run at 60 FPS, the guy who made the mod has uh, clarified some misconceptions

the patch requires a bit more than just flipping a few variables, but it's not anything at all that requires a complete rework or something; it's essentially a version of the same patch dark souls 3 already got

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    "Bb has no timing problems if you fix all the timing problems I had to fix manually."

Not exactly a slam dunk.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    On the other hand even bare minimum ports have to do things like fix animations and timings, if one guy could do it in his spare time it would seem to indicate the workload in question is more along the lines of “making a basic pc port of a ps4 game” and less along the lines of “rebuilding the entire game from ground up”

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I've heard from armchair experts that it requires rework for the entire game. But it sounds like it's not the case. They're likely just continuing to let this stew for as long as possible. For reasons I have no idea what they are.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    On the other hand even bare minimum ports have to do things like fix animations and timings, if one guy could do it in his spare time it would seem to indicate the workload in question is more along the lines of “making a basic pc port of a ps4 game” and less along the lines of “rebuilding the entire game from ground up”

I don't trust one person to have found every problem, no matter how good they are at making a patch.

He spent years on this patch. There's no way to reconcile that with "easy".

"I released a quick demo showing it can be done" =/= "it's easy" or "it's up to commercial standard"

I was never someone who claimed it had to be rebuilt from the ground up, that's reddit chinese whispers exaggeration.

"It's easy and it could be done in a snap like a basic ps4 port" is penny arcade souls thread exaggeration, soon to become "can be done overnight" chinese whispers exaggeration.

Pick your extreme side I guess.

I prefer the middle, where a lone guy took years to make a patch work, it wasn't easy, and he's responding to a ridiculous exaggeration with a dose of reality. The patch maker beating up a strawman doesn't really prove the point that it's easy. It proves that it's not impossible.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I've heard from armchair experts that it requires rework for the entire game. But it sounds like it's not the case. They're likely just continuing to let this stew for as long as possible. For reasons I have no idea what they are.

They're not remaking it, probably.

Not saying someone at some point won't, but I don't think Fromsoft are and Bluepoint are doing an original IP for their next release.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I've also seen Lance say wildly inconsistent things.

He's claimed it took 2 lines of code before, while telling Digital Foundry

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2020-bloodborne-60fps-hack-tested-the-complete-story

That he had to hand fix 108 variables.
    Simply removing the 30fps cap on its own wouldn't help much because every aspect of the game's timing assumes a 30fps performance level - unlocking the game to 60fps would double the speed of the entire game. The solution was somewhat more involved: essentially, where Bloodborne's in-game timing was limited to 1/30 frames, Dark Souls 3 adjusted the 30 target to whatever the current, unlocked frame-count was. McDonald followed the same strategy for Bloodborne, adjusting 108 different timing variables - and his work paid off. Bloodborne was now running unlocked, with correct game timing. But as much of a triumph as this was, it only presented new challenges.

Which is it Lance? You aren't coming off as entirely trustworthy here.

He might have made a very impressive patch but I don't really trust what he actually says. I strongly suspect he's doing the skilled person thing where once he's done it, it's easy, and he's forgetting how much he had to work to get it to happen. And then they just say shit and ignore anything inconvenient that gets in the way of a good strong statement, cos he's an authority now. You see people do this all the time, people who should know better.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Yeah Lance said it took him 2 years to learn Assembly code and rejigger the DS3 60 fps patch, claimed elevators and clothes didn’t work until he manually fixed them.

This discussion has been closed.