As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Weird.. Found a rando shiny Crogunk last night so decided to evolve it this morning. When I did the Collection Challenge quest thingy popped up like I caught one of the collection mons, except I've already completed that and Toxicroak isn't even on it. Go home PoGo, you're drunk

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    :/

Well completing Rhi's quest didn't do it.

Try restarting your app; I had to.

At this point, I'm assuming it's because I have 19 regular incense

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Ugh please don't tell me this was a shiny...
    2a3d230utdnj.png

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    2a3d230utdnj.png

It's not, it's one of the weird-ass Galarian versions of the legendary birds. You can only catch them via the new daily incense. The bad news is their catch/flee rates are absolutely horrible, the good news is they aren't all that rare and you've got daily chances to encounter them from now on.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    urahonky wrote: »
    2a3d230utdnj.png

It's not, it's one of the weird-ass Galarian versions of the legendary birds. You can only catch them via the new daily incense. The bad news is their catch/flee rates are absolutely horrible, the good news is they aren't all that rare and you've got daily chances to encounter them from now on.

*wheezing* Phew. Thank you.

FYI, the Gamepress analysis of Galarian Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres indicate none of them really shake things up. Articuno performs really well as psychic, but it's probably much easier to grind Mewtwo candy (especially since it's superior). Galarian Zapdos is a pretty decent fighter, but isn't really better than Lucario and Conkledurr. Moltres just plain sucks as a legendary.

So, no need to grind candy/pray for good IVs. Unless you really want to, of course.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    So that's what fled on my GF the other night. I just barely got a glimpse of it right as it fled during our daily incense night walk.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    It's gorgeous and I want it.

edited August 2022
    That CP 41 though.
    Do these have the same 10k candy rate as all other legendaries?
    Because starting them that low seems really sadistic.

discrider on
    discrider wrote: »
    That CP 41 though.
    Do these have the same 10k candy taste as all other legendaries?
    Because starting them that low seems really sadistic.

20k, yep. And that's the lowest CP I've ever seen, but yeah, they can be pretty darn low.

Granted they use the same candy as the regular birds, but I'm glad most of them aren't really worth the effort to power up (aside from Articuno being a powerful psychic attacker).

Then again this is coming from someone who is this close to finally finishing powering up a platoon of level 40 raider and PvPer Pokemon and is looking forward to actually stocking up on stardust for once.

I like to focus on types for powering up. Fire team, water team, Pro wrestler/MMA team, etc. Working fairy types now, which is nice. Only hard part is finding cool fairy names for them. Tatl, Tael, and Navi were super obvious but way too cool to not use.

I'm gonna have a lvl 40 golden caterpie

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Ooh I finally got my research task for the daily incense! That did take a lot longer than I thought it would so if anyone is still waiting, might be a good time to check it again.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Ooh I finally got my research task for the daily incense! That did take a lot longer than I thought it would so if anyone is still waiting, might be a good time to check it again.

Me too!

Capt Howdy wrote: »
    I like to focus on types for powering up. Fire team, water team, Pro wrestler/MMA team, etc. Working fairy types now, which is nice. Only hard part is finding cool fairy names for them. Tatl, Tael, and Navi were super obvious but way too cool to not use.

Same here! I've now got a good squad of 6-12 for each type, barring Nihelego, who I'm working on now. ...yes, I know poison sucks as a type. This is spitting distance from a cry for help.

Same here! I've now got a good squad of 6-12 for each type, barring Nihelego, who I'm working on now. ...yes, I know poison sucks as a type. This is spitting distance from a cry for help.

I mean, Fairy has so few weaknesses. I feel it's worth it for stuff like Xerneas, etc. And for all we know Scarlet and Violet will add a bunch of strong fairy types that it will be useful against when they come to PoGo.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I mean, Fairy has so few weaknesses. I feel it's worth it for stuff like Xerneas, etc. And for all we know Scarlet and Violet will add a bunch of strong fairy types that it will be useful against when they come to PoGo.

The problem with Xerneas is that it doesn't have a fairy-type fast move, which really holds it back. Same with Kyurem lacking a fast ice move. There's a few mon in PoGo with great stats that aren't as usable because they have crappy moves.

But yeah, fairy's great as a type. I've got a squad of a few Togekiss and a bunch of Gardevoir.

edited August 2022
    Huh, with all the focus on Worlds in that Pokemon Presents I expected them to announce whatever this Pokemon Go Worlds event is gonna be but instead they announced the August 27th Go Fest closing thing. So we *are* getting Flying Shaymin? I was under the impression that that thing was paywalled behind the in-person Go Fests :P But cool I suppose :3 Also yay all the Ultra Beasts (which is not surprising but I hear Xurkitree is a good electric type so that one should be worth farming). Wonder if they'll bring back all three monkeys in the wild for like one final hoorah too (feels like the kinda thing they would do). It's weird I think I'm more curious about all the rando details like which wild pokemon there'll be, etc :3 Maybe now that it's "announced" they'll do a blog post or something with full details.

Edit: Random aside, this person feels my pain
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/we9rd8/how_long_it_takes_to_scroll_through_my_stickers/

(and I don't even have nearly this many stickers since that was a thing they added just as I was quitting)

Warlock82 on
    Huh, with all the focus on Worlds in that Pokemon Presents I expected them to announce whatever this Pokemon Go Worlds event is gonna be but instead they announced the August 27th Go Fest closing thing. So we *are* getting Flying Shaymin? I was under the impression that that thing was paywalled behind the in-person Go Fests :P But cool I suppose :3 Also yay all the Ultra Beasts (which is not surprising but I hear Xurkitree is a good electric type so that one should be worth farming). Wonder if they'll bring back all three monkeys in the wild for like one final hoorah too (feels like the kinda thing they would do). It's weird I think I'm more curious about all the rando details like which wild pokemon there'll be, etc :3 Maybe now that it's "announced" they'll do a blog post or something with full details.

Yeah, Go never keeps Pokemon behind a paywall for long. I know I've been accused of being overly positive but this game really does a great job of being free-to-play but not making the stuff you pay for seem limiting or annoying.

Xurkitree definitely looks like a great electric type according to Gamepress analysis, and Nihilego's a darn strong poison type. Most of the other Ultra Beasts seem kinda meh other than Blacephelon and possibly Naganadel (who seems outclassed by Nihilego).

edited August 2022

Yeah, Go never keeps Pokemon behind a paywall for long. I know I've been accused of being overly positive but this game really does a great job of being free-to-play but not making the stuff you pay for seem limiting or annoying.

Xurkitree definitely looks like a great electric type according to Gamepress analysis, and Nihilego's a darn strong poison type. Most of the other Ultra Beasts seem kinda meh other than Blacephelon and possibly Naganadel (who seems outclassed by Nihilego).

I mean, I assumed it was coming eventually but this is faster than I was expecting. It's not like my favorite or anything so I never really cared that much but it's nice that it wasn't exclusive to the in-game Go Fests. Now we just need cowboy hat Snorlax :3 (I bet that's coming this month in *some* event)

Also ooo, I just saw the power up 10 research this month is Mega Steelix energy! I needs dat. I was half expecting Slowbro or something after last month it was just Mega Pidgeot energy (which just meant getting it a bit earlier than it was in raids) and previous it was Mega Aerodactyl (which was good cuz I missed those outside of during Go Fest). So sweet, that's five new megas this month if I farm enough of those up :3 (tho now next month is totally gonna start with Mega Steelix, I'm calling it :P )

Oh, speaking of which, saw a suggestion that the "mystery" new mega this month will either be Mega Pinsir or Heracross since it's happening at the same time as the Bug Out! event. That makes way too much sense not to be the case.

Warlock82 on
    edited August 2022

Oh it was Mega Scizor :P

(also dang, Sewaddle only from Research tasks.. that's like the only thing on this list I actually still need to evolve other than Grubbin of course.. guess I'll have to farm those tasks)

Warlock82 on
    edited August 2022
    If it helps my wife and I have picked up a few Sewaddle from daily incense.

Ultra unlock connected to the Sapporo event sounds like it'll unlock Pansage.

cloudeagle on
    edited August 2022
    If it helps my wife and I have picked up a few Sewaddle from daily incense.

Ultra unlock connected to the Sapporo event sounds like it'll unlock Pansage.

Yeah I got like two of them from that yesterday I think. Honestly I could probably just use rare candies at this point (I have like 400) but it feels like a waste :P I also *kind of* want a good IV Joltik. I dunno, I just kinda like that Pokemon :P Maybe I'll do some of the raids.

And yeah, that's what I expected after the last two. Never did find a shiny of Pansear or Panpour, maybe Pansage won't hate me :P (I doubt it tho, it's full odds I believe)

Edit: Are Volbeat and Illumise still region exclusives? I feel like I maybe have one Volbeat from forever ago, maybe I should go after those for the heck of it. (also for real, totally thought shiny Venipede was already a thing. I was legit looking for one during the global go fest.. lol)

Also looking at this closer, weird choices for the "rare" wild spawns. I think I would have personally gone for stuff like Scyther, Pinsir, etc. Stuff that are big bugs :3 (or at least one or two big bugs) But *shrug*. Actually it's kinda weird that Scyther isn't available from this event at all considering it's adding Mega Scizor. I guess they thought it'd be redundant (but it's not because of the dumb rule that evos can't be shiny... boooooo)

Warlock82 on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Palkia is up there in terms of pointless shinies. This looks exactly the same as the normal one

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, Volbeat and Illumise are still region exclusive, but they've crossed over a fair amount. My wife managed to catch a shiny Volbeat, so I've had to resist the urge to steal it while she's asleep.

Picked up 2 used Pixel 3's for my kids so we can play together. Of course we went out yesterday and it was 95 degrees! Hopefully the weather cooperates.

edited August 2022
    Oh, I didn't notice that the details were out for this:
    https://www.leekduck.com/events/pokemon-go-fest-sapporo-ultra-unlock/

Bleh, they picked some lame choices for wild pokemon to bring over :/ Wish they'd have at least included Scyther.

2x Stardust sounds nice though, might be worth raid spamming after that unlocks.

Warlock82 on
    Oh, I didn't notice that the details were out for this:
    https://www.leekduck.com/events/pokemon-go-fest-sapporo-ultra-unlock/

Bleh, they picked some lame choices for wild pokemon to bring over :/ Wish they'd have at least included Scyther.

2x Stardust sounds nice though, might be worth raid spamming after that unlocks.

Right, don't forget Paras grants 500 stardust usually, so I know I'll be Paras hunting sometime this weekend.

Saw this randomly on twitter... wow, this has to suck

edited August 2022
    Idgi
    rnabkbd2y0ce.png
    This seems like a good boy that I caught today.

I pretty much skip all the community days though.
    When they were all day, I had a better chance of actually realising they were on.

discrider on
    The game's added double XP and double candy to the triple stardust this community day, FYI.

edited August 2022

Bleh I can't see at work and leekduck isn't updated. I'll have to see if anyone on silph made an infographic yet :3 (edit: Nope, guess I have to wait for lunch)

Edit: Ok, Polygon has it kinda written up (I still want pictures tho :3). I will say, I don't get events like these that last 8 hours, and then they refuse to make community days longer than 3.

Warlock82 on

Bleh I can't see at work and leekduck isn't updated. I'll have to see if anyone on silph made an infographic yet :3 (edit: Nope, guess I have to wait for lunch)

Edit: Ok, Polygon has it kinda written up (I still want pictures tho :3). I will say, I don't get events like these that last 8 hours, and then they refuse to make community days longer than 3.

Because these events give you plenty of tasks and something different to do throughout while Community Days are just the one thing?

edited August 2022

Because these events give you plenty of tasks and something different to do throughout while Community Days are just the one thing?

I guess? I dunno, it still seems silly to me.

Also so I guess we aren't getting a second Shaymin? I wonder how switching works.

Edit: Ah, there's my graphics
    https://www.leekduck.com/events/pokemon-go-fest-2022-bonus-finale-event/

(of course they do this 15 mins before lunch when I'd see the original anyways :P)

Oh, and there IS a second Shaymin? Polygon lied to me.
    Three short, exclusive Special Research stories. Complete them to encounter Sky Forme Shaymin and more.

Ooo, and Frillish! I needs that one (edit: But now I'm confused by the double Frillish... are they actually gender-exclusive depending on wild vs. incense or is leekduck just being weird? It seems weird to put something on incense that is also spawning in the wild)

Warlock82 on
    Yeah, since they're so different Frillish only appears with one gender or the other. There was one that was exclusive to Battle League for a while.

edited August 2022
    Yeah, since they're so different Frillish only appears with one gender or the other. There was one that was exclusive to Battle League for a while.

Ahh, weird. But ok, that makes way more sense. Overall should be a fun event. Kinda wish it was two days instead of one with all the crap going on during it. :3 (I mean, it's essentially playing 8 hours straight to do everything, would be nice if that could be spread over two days, but *shrug*)

Also find it funny that like every two hour window has rare regional Pokemon spawn from incense except the Xurkitree one which is just.. Klink :P It's also the Panpour one so it's like double nothingburger for US :P Oh well :P Also baffled by the lack of synergy with Pansage and Mr. Mime vs. the hour with no monkeys having Tropius... Stick Tropius with Pansage and Frillish with Panpour so the types match. My OCD wants it all to be nice and symmetrical :3 (and realistically Klink would match with Xerkitree but then by that pattern none of the others really do, at least for incense.. the wild spawns do, except Nihilego which has a ton of fairy types for some weird ass reason :P Maybe it's for Nihilego to eat :3)

Edit: Random thought but I wonder if Poke Genie will have the raids available for longer periods (i.e. raiding in some other country that has it going on at different times or whatever). I was kind of expecting that for Hisuian Braviary and it totally wasn't the case. It was actually extremely lucky we stopped for lunch of our drive home or I literally would not have been able to catch any (because again, PoGo hates highway speeds). I guess maybe it's nice that Xurkitree has garbage spawns because it means I can focus on raiding instead (since that one is actually a good Pokemon and I'm gonna want a good IV one).

Warlock82 on
    edited August 2022
    I swear it feels like there's secretly double stardust or something. I got so much yesterday somehow through barely playing. I guess a lot of bug types have bonus stardust (combee, paras, etc) so maybe that's it.

Also game refuses to give me a damn good IV Scizor. All I want is a 96%+ with 15 attack. That's not too much to ask :( It keeps giving me decent IVs but not perfect attack. Bleh.

Also, TIL you can walk megas for additional mega energy -_- I've been wanting to mega evolve a second Blastoise for forever (current one doesn't have community day move) but I'm still like 75ish off after finding rando 15 energies here and there from quests. Should have been walking the dang thing.

Edit: Oh, and found out they recently patched in a new feature to remember last used pokeball. It's so dang nice.

Edit 2: Wooo 15/14/15 Scizor get! That's most of the raid stuff done then. Of course now practically everything has open lobbies except Joltik which no one seems to want to do T_T I might just have to go looking for some locally since it's easy enough to solo

Edit again:

I can't see cuz work but yay details :3 I hope it's cool

Oh, there we go: https://i.redd.it/c82cc1nm45h91.jpg

Another costumed Pikachu.. I swear I wish they'd literally do any other pokemon, though I get it. Just so sick of costumed pikachus :P Wild spawns are kinda meh but hey, timburr is back in gyms. I need XL candies for him so bad to power up my 100%. Also the special moves learning is hype. I wish I had a dang good Rhydon to use tho, bleh. They should have put him in the gym instead of Primeape :P I'll have to farm field research I guess. Also I needs a good Meteor Mash Metagross dang it (really they could have just dumped all of the 3*s and put in stuff that gets the special moves :P).

Warlock82 on
    The GF and I can take out MegaScizor without help. Nice. Been stuck waiting to max my perfect Scizor for awhile now, no more waiting for me!

edited August 2022
    I totally missed that there's some sort of "challenge champion teams at pokestops" thing in this event. I wonder how that will work (I assume they basically work like rocket grunts?)

Also a free Elite Fast and Charged TM which is pretty amazing

Do wonder how good all of these moves are for the evos. I know Meteor Mash Metagross and Rock Wrecker Rhyperior are supposed to be insanely good but I dunno about any of the others. (Also I might have Aqua Tail Gyarados? I really should check)

Warlock82 on