As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 7, Monaco: Merc develops odd growths, Russell perplexed

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    It sounds like there are some teams interested in Ricciardo, though. If he could jump back to Alpine that might be best for everyone

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    There's also a bit of a story going round that Schumacher is out at Haas. They supposedly suspended talks with Schumacher, and there are reports that he could be leaving the Ferrari driver academy as well. Motorsport mentioned it in passing as a potential landing spot for Ricciardo.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Schumacher leaving Haas and the Ferrari academy? Woah, where did that come from?

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Well, the original rumours were that Mick was going to Aston Martin, and would leave the Ferrari Driver Academy to do so - which obviously hasn't happened. They've since changed that into "Binotto not having faith in Schumacher", but can't really find repulatble sources for that.

Schumacher/Haas breaking down generally is believable though. Mick had a rough start to the season, and Steiner did little to help the situation by trashing him publically. There was a lot of pushback towards Haas from the German media in particular on their handling of the situation. Personally, I think Steiner is a pretty awful team boss, so am inclined to agree. I could easily see Mick looking for a way out.

altid on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    But where will he go?

Alpine is probably Ricciardo now.
    Alfa is out due to Ferrari.
    McLaren is Norris / Piastri
    Williams? Pretty much the only team left.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Williams could get him into the Mercedes fold. Wonder if Toto is interested.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Mick to Andretti Motorsport, races Indy until the next regulations changes when they bring a new team to F1. That'd be cool at least.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

That's a reserve driver role at best for now though, and Merc already have several (de Vries and Vandoorne - also apparently Paul di Resta?)

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Mick is already the Ferrari Reserve, he just made a statement this week about how he'd be ready to go on short notice ahaha just in case :) haha jk but no really

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    I wouldn't count Ricciardo to Alpine as a sure thing. I'm not sure if they've entirely forgiven him for jumping ship so quickly last time.

Mick is in a bit of a tough spot generally. He has been improving, but there have been a few big crashes and, more importantly, he hasn't yet shown enough to make him worth the risk. The field is stacked with talent, who would you replace with Mick instead? There just isn't a route for him up the grid that I can see.

Since it's all mired in rumours, I could easily imagine a scenario where he lept at the chance to get out of Haas and into AM (especially with the Vettel connection) but had that scuppered by the Alonso move. Haas then know he has no alternative and can dictate terms in contract negotiations.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    BlazeFire wrote: »

That's a reserve driver role at best for now though, and Merc already have several (de Vries and Vandoorne - also apparently Paul di Resta?)

They also have Charles Leclerc coming once Hamilton retires. B)

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    I wouldn't count Ricciardo to Alpine as a sure thing. I'm not sure if they've entirely forgiven him for jumping ship so quickly last time.

Mick is in a bit of a tough spot generally. He has been improving, but there have been a few big crashes and, more importantly, he hasn't yet shown enough to make him worth the risk. The field is stacked with talent, who would you replace with Mick instead? There just isn't a route for him up the grid that I can see.

Since it's all mired in rumours, I could easily imagine a scenario where he lept at the chance to get out of Haas and into AM (especially with the Vettel connection) but had that scuppered by the Alonso move. Haas then know he has no alternative and can dictate terms in contract negotiations.

Agreed, I think Renault was pretty pissed when Ricciardo left. Not sure he will come back so easily.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Agreed, I think Renault was pretty pissed when Ricciardo left. Not sure he will come back so easily.

Then again Cyril is gone...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »

I wonder if he ever got that tattoo...

• Options
    Drovek wrote: »

I wonder if he ever got that tattoo...

Yep...
    rbjx53yfwn3u.png

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    2010 is starting to get dramatic.

https://youtu.be/tHb1y9TJMV4

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    https://youtu.be/lX0rXb7gqrU

AlphaTauri is a stacked team.

Edit: I can’t believe Webber simply walked away after this.

https://youtu.be/IMWrg4a-lzg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    2010 British GP. Vettel lost his new nose during qualifying, and RB decided to take the other new one Webber had and give it to Vettel. Vettel qualified 1, Webber 2, and Webber looked like this afterwards.

https://youtu.be/MLNMDrQ_56U

Then won the race and this was the radio message

https://youtu.be/anAFOXDdkZw

That was in response to Horner saying “you can smile now.” I love it all.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    That still gets brought up to this day. Webber's shade-throwing was so legendary.

• Options
    That still gets brought up to this day. Webber's shade-throwing was so legendary.

It was an instant classic for me the second I heard it. And nothing against Vettel, but it was satisfying seeing Webber take the win under those circumstances.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    2010 Hungarian GP. No one hurt in this incident.

https://youtu.be/vE7LaoddVn4

The loose wheel and the crash are unrelated.

Edit: oh Michael

https://youtu.be/6AzpYilkKrA

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    On Silverstone 2010, there was more to the story than met the eye, and Webber was far from innocent.

From Adrian Newey's book, they had a new front wing assembly but weren't certain if it was better or not - CFD said it was better, but the wind tunnel said it was worse. They'd made two but Vettel's got destroyed through no fault of his own. Webber ran the new wing in FP1 but didn't like it. Vettel ran it in FP2 and wasn't fussed either way. At this point they figured overall it was slightly better but Newey wanted more data, notably to find out why Webber didn't like it. He asked Webber's engineer if he intended to use the new wing again and was told that no, Webber did not intend to use it again that weekend. So he asked Vettel's engineer to fit it for qualifying since he still needed the data.

In the end, Webber was being more than a bit petty over Vettel being given 'his' wing, even though he had first refusal on it and rejected it. Webber was very good at spinning a story in the media (e.g. Multi-21) but the reality often didn't match.

• Options
    8r00rbpsn4n3.jpeg

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    av91zvd8w0fc.png

I love it. Shoot it into my veins.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It's a bold strategy Cotton

*cries in Fantasy F1 team picks*

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    The Ferrari is quick, but unreliable and if there is a chance to screw up strategy, the team will take it. They served me well early in the season, but I might see if I can try to swap things around to ditch them now that they seem to be flailing way more than succeeding.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Binotto has no idea how to run an organization with any degree of accountability.

• Options
    2010 Japanese GP was pretty ho-hum at the front (Vettel/RB running away with it), but luckily the tendency for directors to focus on the local hero pays off. They show Kamui Kobayashi for most of the race, and he gives a very entertaining mid-field performance, with a whole basket of overtakes to go up to P7.

It’s fun when one of the anonymous guys in the back gets a load of coverage in one race.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    hoping it comes down to a foot race between principals around the next track or something equally silly

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I have no idea why Alpine would want to force the issue here. Probably only trying to get McLaren to pay them off, because at this point they really don't want a driver actively not wanting to drive for them.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Clearly Piastri is going to have to drive both cars simultaneously next year.

• Options
    I saw something about Alpine wanting to sue Piastri if he didn't race for them

Yeah, here it is: https://jalopnik.com/alpine-f1-team-preparing-lawsuit-against-mclaren-bound-1849389975

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Yeah Alpine is either gonna make sure he's racing with them or end his career if not.

As for why? You can't just let it be known that you'll allow people to break contracts with you and run off to your competitors with no consequences.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I can only imagine how functional a relationship enforced by a gun to the head would be

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Crucially, however, this contract was between Piastri and Alpine's Driver Academy, rather than the F1 team.

This meant the contract was never registered with Formula 1's Contract Recognition Board, as it was not a F1 contract.

Accordingly, when McLaren lodged their contract with Piastri with the CRB after signing the Australian, neither Alpine nor McLaren received any notification from the CRB of any conflict.

If this isn't what happened I hope the actual reason is something equally as dumb

https://racingnews365.com/revealed-why-piastri-wont-race-for-alpine-in-2023

Carpy on
  • Options
    that is so hilariously dumb

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Wait, so it wasn't an F1 contract... but it was still a contract? And the "option" was to turn that into an F1 contract, but it expired didn't it?

So... next in line of succession is: Latifi?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    It does get a bit complicated when you factor in the FIA kangaroo court overseeing it all. They may ignore Piastri's Alpine contract (and whatever terms it contains) but a real court may disagree. After all, a contract is still a contract whether it has been registered with the FIA or not.

This discussion has been closed.