As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Dungeons & Daddies

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Dungeons & Daddies!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Dungeons & Daddies

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Clearly it's the new D&D movie

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    If you can call that living.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DruexDruex Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    How often is the Acq Inc crew playing these days?

Druex on
    "It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse" - Kane : Tiberian Sun
  • Options
    kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
    The up-side-down cone on the ground really sells the despair

In warframe on PC my name is severenn
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    He should have been wearing an Aqc Inc shirt just to really nail in the obliviousness.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Druex wrote: »
    How often is the Acq Inc crew playing these days?

Once a PAX. Same as it's been for most of it's life, with just a few exceptions.

• Options
    Really? It's that uncommon? I admit I haven't watched a lot of them but I did watch a few videos and they didn't seem to be PAX related, just hanging out at the office.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Really? It's that uncommon? I admit I haven't watched a lot of them but I did watch a few videos and they didn't seem to be PAX related, just hanging out at the office.

Maybe you're thinking of the C-Team, which is kind of a spinoff with Jerry as DM? That one had many seasons of weekly live play, before wrapping up the series.

https://www.acq-inc.com/portfolio

The "main" AI campaign has been ongoing for over 14 years now. It started out as a podcast for three seasons, did a little alternate universe one shot and did their first live show at PAX West 2010. In 2012, they did a four episode podcast in addition to the normal PAX live shows. Then in 2013, they did another eight episode podcast between PAX West 2012/2013. Then they started playing live at East in 2014 (sans costumes). After that, just PAXes up until 2016, when they did a 12 episode video series between East 2016 and Prime 2016. They did a holiday special and a one episode podcast in 2017 (the latter of which set up the entrance of Strix into the main AI campaign). Other than a standalone video episode they did in 2018, I think that covers it.

So aside from the original podcast 14 years ago, just a handful of other stuff with multiple PAXes a year being the main focus.

But I can see the confusion if you're thinking of C-Team (aka bettershow). It did four seasons, with 30-40 episodes each. As such, they've definitely put more hours of content out there.

dennis on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    It should also be noted that Wizards of the Coast created an officially licensed Acquisitions Inc supplemental rulebook for D&D 5e.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786966904

product-product-acquisition.png?w=540

• Options
    dennis wrote: »

Maybe you're thinking of the C-Team, which is kind of a spinoff with Jerry as DM? That one had many seasons of weekly live play, before wrapping up the series.

The "main" AI campaign has been ongoing for over 14 years now. It started out as a podcast for three seasons, did a little alternate universe one shot and did their first live show at PAX West 2010. In 2012, they did a four episode podcast in addition to the normal PAX live shows. Then in 2013, they did another eight episode podcast between PAX West 2012/2013. Then they started playing live at East in 2014 (sans costumes). After that, just PAXes up until 2016, when they did a 12 episode video series between East 2016 and Prime 2016. They did a holiday special and a one episode podcast in 2017 (the latter of which set up the entrance of Strix into the main AI campaign). Other than a standalone video episode they did in 2018, I think that covers it.

So aside from the original podcast 14 years ago, just a handful of other stuff with multiple PAXes a year being the main focus.

But I can see the confusion if you're thinking of C-Team (aka bettershow). It did four seasons, with 30-40 episodes each. As such, they've definitely put more hours of content out there.

No I've never watched C team. It was the main crew. Probably one of the older episodes or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    C-Team is super good and should definitely be checked out. They have a really strong core group of players who are all entertaining to watch and they all bring a lot of value to the team dynamic.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    This comic title suggests a much different type of roleplaying.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Ironically, it's the name of a pretty famous and wholesome (despite the title) DnD podcast:
    https://www.dungeonsanddaddies.com/

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

No I've never watched C team. It was the main crew. Probably one of the older episodes or something.

Yeah, probably the AI: The Series videos, then. I think the only other main crew series filmed in their studio (rather than live or audio only) was the holiday special.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular

The spellcasters in those dungeons focus on Enchantment magic.

• Options
    AugusteAuguste Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Ironically, it's the name of a pretty famous and wholesome (despite the title) DnD podcast:
    https://www.dungeonsanddaddies.com/

It's so famous that I've been giving the boys credit for the triple entendre; I like to think they're just that good at this.

• Options
    jberryjberry longtime reader firsttime poster Fort Smith Ark USARegistered User regular
    I had to get...I could...go...and get...I decided I was gonna be...and get...your mom might put...

mox boardings house big sale on compound complex sentences use two verbs add one subjunctive free

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I do think it's weird that Stranger Things is becoming an entrypoint for D&D. Not that it's bad: it's great for people to get into an awesome hobby, and I really like the way it is portrayed in Stranger Things (even if Mike wraps the story up way too quick after they beat the boss). It's just still weird to me to realize how something I would have figured was at least gradually entering the mainstream is still completely off people's radar.

Plus, if you watch Stranger Things and then start playing D&D, presumably that's because you found a friend who was already into roleplaying to get you onboarded. It's not exactly a game you can pick off the shelf at Target and figure out totally blind. So, the fact that your adult friend told you this game was cool and you might like it didn't convince you. But seeing children playing the game in the 80s, which to me would emphasize that it is an outdated game that is mostly for weird kids, does convince you to do it? Again, it's good that people are giving it a try. It's just a bit of a bummer that so many people (probably including myself) are more likely to be convinced to try something by a commercial than by the urging of their own friends to try it out.

• Options
    Armored ChocoboArmored Chocobo Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    That's the price of popularity, I guess.
    I do think it's weird that Stranger Things is becoming an entrypoint for D&D. Not that it's bad: it's great for people to get into an awesome hobby, and I really like the way it is portrayed in Stranger Things (even if Mike wraps the story up way too quick after they beat the boss). It's just still weird to me to realize how something I would have figured was at least gradually entering the mainstream is still completely off people's radar.

Plus, if you watch Stranger Things and then start playing D&D, presumably that's because you found a friend who was already into roleplaying to get you onboarded. It's not exactly a game you can pick off the shelf at Target and figure out totally blind. So, the fact that your adult friend told you this game was cool and you might like it didn't convince you. But seeing children playing the game in the 80s, which to me would emphasize that it is an outdated game that is mostly for weird kids, does convince you to do it? Again, it's good that people are giving it a try. It's just a bit of a bummer that so many people (probably including myself) are more likely to be convinced to try something by a commercial than by the urging of their own friends to try it out.

I'll be honest, I didn't watch the show, and didn't even know the show had anything involving D&D in it for 4 Seasons. I didn't even attribute it to D&D's suddenly being mainstream.

When I heard things like there was a Demogorgon in it, and that was a D&D thing, but I thought that was just....y'know the 80s. They made a monster from a game popular in the 80s come to life in the show set in a paranormal version of the 80s, Okay.

Armored Chocobo on
  • Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    It's not exactly a game you can pick off the shelf at Target and figure out totally blind.

Funnily enough I think WotC released a D&D starter set that was exclusively sold at Target.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    C-Team is super good and should definitely be checked out. They have a really strong core group of players who are all entertaining to watch and they all bring a lot of value to the team dynamic.

I gave Cteam a several episode try and just could not get into it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »

For me, it had to be in podcast form. I just couldn't sit in front of the screen that much.

• Options
    DruexDruex Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

For me, it had to be in podcast form. I just couldn't sit in front of the screen that much.

Same here, great way to pass the time at work. Better Show.

"It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse" - Kane : Tiberian Sun