As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Once more [Into The Breach], dear friends, once more;

• eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: Β»
    I've always liked the Flame Behemoths for anything except direct damage (don't pick the level that want you to destroy a dam, it just won't happen).
    Put the move-after acting pilot in the science mech and you're virtually unstoppable.

Just remember that all the squads put you way back on the learning curve; trying to play them like your last squad will end in failure.

OK, went this way and tried Flame Behemoths. I immediately was offered the dam mission on the first island, and I was like sure, let's try this. Short story short, but you were right. After that abject failure, I managed to hit all four islands after dropping down to 2 grid at one point, but went into the last mission with full grid, upgraded mechs and fully leveled pilots. On the last turn of the first phase, after steamrolling everything, the game crashes during the Vek spawn. OK, I restart it, try again. Game crashes in the same spot and now my save is deleted (at least all my unlocks are still there, but my super awesome legacy pilot has evaporated).

So in conclusion Flame Behemoths is a team of contrasts, thank you for attending my TED talk.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I've had some instability playing with the advanced content, which is odd bc the base game was absolutely rock solid. Wonder if the free part of this update came at the expense of QA.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    This expansion is superb and really revitalized my enjoyment of the game

Have yet to try Unfair but I'm excited

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I've unlocked all the new squads and have just been messing around.

I think my favorites are the bombermechs and the arachnoids

Not a fan of the Mist Eaters or the Heat Sinkers

I want my DPS not that goofy shit where all you can do is move enemies around

knitdan on
    β€œI was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    The enemies do a ton more damage then you do though so moving them can be good. Or you can toss them in a hole or lava or acid or water.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    If the Mistwalkers could get enemies to march into the ocean they’d be downright broken. Even as they are, making a custom squad combining them with the Rusting Hulks (which I’ll try once I clear the achievements for all the new squads) should be an absolute blast.

Sneaks on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Rare footage of my mech squad fighting the Vek invasion.

https://youtu.be/b3by13l_YTs

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    The one really hate is the airplane

Big fucking deal you drop smoke and injure yourself doing it

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    That one is much better with a pilot that gives boost every turn.

38thDoE on steam

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    The pilot that gives move after action is also good with the jet, gives you more chances to actually heal on smoke

PSN SeGaTai
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Fun fact: Armor negates the self damage.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: Β»
    The pilot that gives move after action is also good with the jet, gives you more chances to actually heal on smoke
    The pilot that moves after turn is good with everything.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

Not good with the ice artillery.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: Β»

pits and water are infinite DPS, qed

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited July 2022

Weird, because I'm almost a weird mirror-image of this.

Love the Heat Sinkers and the Arachnoids because I love pushing Vek and setting up double killshots. Because pushing Vek is lovely, but it's also nice to just straight-up fry some bugs.

Loathe and despise the Bombermechs because I don't want to solve a 4D puzzle to do all that. I ain't that smart tbh. Do the Bombermechs have some high damage sources I haven't noticed earlier? They honestly seem like THE MOST "low-damage, high-push" mech team in the game.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    Garthor wrote: Β»

Not good with the ice artillery.

You are technically correct. The best kind of correct.
    All the others, though.

So you wouldn't want to try and win with this team then? No damage all game.

Last Island spoilers
    q0jfbnbx9s8l.png

In other news, I got to the last turn of the last island on unfair but there were too many vek to stop.

38thDoE on steam

The reason I like the Bombermechs is you can do damage but also they're great to block emerging Vek

I like to launch a bomblet to a block square and then use the switch skill to move a Vek there, plus if I'm lucky I can get it to another one and maximize my blocking.

Honestly my big complaint for Mist Eaters is the airplane damages itself on every attack

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Honestly my big complaint for Mist Eaters is the airplane damages itself on every attack

That's the whole playstyle we learned from Rusting Hulks, so I would imagine it's manageable.

Mist Walkers are really strong. Cleared Unfair with them. Did sand island and acid island and then closed it out. Could not stop the bomb from getting killed on the last stand but managed to win with the second cycle bomb. The boost at full health pilot in the artillery mech works pretty well. I had more smoke, more range on the controller, and both range upgrades on the jet. The boost psion is often more useful to leave alive since he helps you kill the other vek. Moths are awful.

87q9et6gmz6g.png

38thDoE on steam

A hint for anyone who's like me and had a headache getting the Working Together achievement; it just says 'units', not 'enemy units'.
    Once I realised I could use my allies I got it in two battles.

Musicool wrote: Β»
    Naphtali wrote: Β»
    I'm not sure how much I like the advanced pilot abilities. losing +1 move, +1 reactor for stuff like "pilot doesn't die on mech dying" is meh, but OTOH the ability that gives you double damage on next attack after a kill is pretty good, I imagine that will be very strong on some of the snowball type squads

edit: I think that's actually just one of the new pilots abilities and not one of the random skills, but I'm not sure

You could be right, but I think the new ones will have big niche potential here and there.

For eg, combining the "pilot doesn't die on mech dying" with the big self-destruct ability might have some uses for the right kind of mech teams. FINALLY, there's a reason for that upgrade on all but the Secret team! (...wait, can you even upgrade the Secret team with mech upgrades? You can't can you? So basically, the self-destruct upgrade finally has a purpose.)

And I just landed one of the new named pilots (Kai Miller - if at full health, damage boosted; if below full health, -1 Move) and she landed her first upgrade: Technician, repair 1 hp at start of turn. Right now she's piloting the quick-fire mech, which shoots two 1 damage shots along two of the four cardinal directions. ANd you can upgrade it to push and to have +1 damage.

"Would you like a self-sustaining mech that can deal 2x3 damage plus a push?"

Why yes, yes I want that in my life.

But yeah, the old upgrades are gonna be the most consistent upgrades IMO.

Just want to add some more thoughts to this:

IMO the new upgrades are better for the game overall even if they're not always stronger. I'm spending a lot more time thinking about what pilots I'm using - in what mech, and for how long before I sell or swap them into a different mech. Maybe that was always a thing, but if that's true then it took these upgrades to show me the way.

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    All achievements, woo!
    I would like to thank the devs for not adding an achievement for beating Unfair difficulty.
    I'm still gonna do it eventually, but my OCD appreciates it.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    mist eaters getting two flyers out of the box makes them so good

also I have to agree after playing more of the new content musiccool, the new pilot skills are very, very powerful but now you have a lot more RNG to get a good pilot vs farming for just a +reactor/+move. oh well

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The control mech for the Mist Eaters can also use its control power on your own units, or any NPC units that are able to move

This includes moving stuff out of webbing

Extremely powerful and can compensate for the extra spaces you might be missing to set up a better attack, or to emergency save a pilot or objective tank

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I just had the most delightful run with the Mist Eaters.
    Default equipment. The special pilot was Silica, the robot that can act twice if it doesn't move. Stuck it in the Control Mech right off (going for the achievement).

After island 1, I was given the passive that lets mechs block Vek spawns without taking damage. The Smog Mech picked up a new pilot with an ability to gain Boost after a kill.

During island 2, I picked up a weapon that does 1 damage and can only be used once, but adds Power to the Grid if it makes a kill. I added that to the Thruster Mech, whose pilot had learned to Boost itself during the last turn for double damage.

Things went largely unchanged through 3 and 4, but all the mech weapons got upgraded. At the end of island 4, the shop had a new weapon that let me tell a civvy structure to hit an adjacent space and push. This immediately got upgraded to do 3 damage, and I swapped it for the power-boosting one-shot in the Hive.

The Hive was a complete stomp. Clouds of smoke everywhere, enemies being stood in all the instant-death traps, the Pylons themselves shoving scorpions into lava. My units only took one damage each from the Psion, and even the Thruster was back up to full Heath (a whopping 7!) in the final turn. Every enemy was dead, and the pilots just shook one another's hands and headed off into the timestream.

Now to play it on Hard.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    The control mech for the Mist Eaters can also use its control power on your own units, or any NPC units that are able to move

This includes moving stuff out of webbing

Extremely powerful and can compensate for the extra spaces you might be missing to set up a better attack, or to emergency save a pilot or objective tank

Oh SHIT

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Just did a 4 island clear on normal on my first try after months after not playing, using the Cataclysm mechs. I got really lucky, I got the "Crash damage +1" passive very early, and immediately on the next mission, I got the "Mechs cannot damage each other" passive, so using the tri-shot mech to push everything into each other was absolutely devastating.

Ton of fun.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Sometimes you gotta cross the entire map in one turn.
    l679526wil4f.jpg

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm always surprised by how easy it is to jump back into a campaign in this game. I think I left this last run on hold for over a year, but didn't miss a beat picking it back up. I'd be completely lost if I did that with an XCOM campaign.

Just beat the game with the first squad on iOS. Unlocked the Rusting Hulks, who I remember loved playing on the Switch. This is one of the few games I don’t mind unlocking everything again.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    It took me a lot of tries to beat the game on Hard with all the new options. I finally did it with the spider mechs.

Then I got Cataclysm and got to the final battle after four islands the first try. Died on the last round of the second phase because I blew my rewind frivolously and couldn't take it back when I had a fumble-finger misclick moment that destroyed some grid and left me vulnerable.

That's Into the Breach, baby!

edited August 2022
    Arachnophiles was definitely a challenge, their low damage makes them really hard early on but once you can get a +1 damage on the mech that spawns the small spider, things really start to get rolling, last 2 islands I think I didn't take any grid damage at all, and aced all the objectives.

Final level was a cake walk as well.

Edit: And I also did all 3 achievements on the same run.

Satsumomo on
    I just beat it with Cataclysm on my second try (missed one accomplishment) because I got the 1 use/mission grid boost weapon on Kai, who innately has Boost at full health snd picked up Conservative, which adds a use to limited ammo weapons. There were some missions where I managed +2 grid on top of the regular rewards, and my grid defense was up near 30% (which did save me at least once).

Reliance on grid boosting did make me miss one of the achievements, but I can circle back to that.

Now seeing what all this Mist Eater business is about. I can already tell that I'll want to be finding the passive that damages any vek in smoke at the start of the turn.

edited August 2022
    Also, I no longer have access to one of my secret pilots, even though I still have the achievement :/

Oh wait, nvm, there's multiple and the achievement is for getting just one.

Satsumomo on
    Having some hard times with the new yellow Bombermechs, so I switched to the pink Arachnophiles. They are super weird, but in a good way. It's like playing pool with trick shots, then spawning spiders. I have a feeling the damage upgrade from the Arachnoid Mech will be super important to get spiders easier. Also, you can spawn a spider off an existing spider if something is out of reach. Cool!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I initially liked the Bombermechs but yeah they can be hard to play

Still trying to figure out the Heat Sinkers

My impression of the Heat Sinkers is that their fire launching mech starts with a range of 2 and pushes the second square. The first square should hit one of your own mechs for the boost.

My impression of the Heat Sinkers is that their fire launching mech starts with a range of 2 and pushes the second square. The first square should hit one of your own mechs for the boost.

Yeah, in the early game there's a lot of juggling between using that mech for boosts, for pushes, or for flame damage. It's hard to lineup all 3 in one shot. (But it helps to sit it behind one of the other two mechs, while using that other mech as bait for a Scorpion/Leaper Vek: gives you an all-in-one value shot next turn if the bait pays off.)

+1 range on the ranged mech and "shoots fire" on the prime one makes things a lot easier though.

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png

My go-to with the Bombermechs has been getting the pilot that can act twice if they don't move and adding the "Shoot two bombs" upgrade as well. It's a large 4 core investment, but now you can spawn 4 bombs per turn.