As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] Wizzing Toys for Everyone

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Airking850 wrote: »
    Is the throne of the tides mini set worth the 2000 gold? Seems like a sweet deal but I'm not sure if any of the cards are good.
    It's probably the lowest overall value mini-set they've released so far. 3 of the the legendaries are bad to mediocre. Neptulon is basically only viable as a ramp Druid card.

There are some pretty strong commons and rares, though.

Neptulon is pretty good in Wild.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Wild, psh.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I feel like shaman has become better positioned in the meta rn

I'm convinced brilliant macaw is a problem card that needs to be looked at given how many nutty battlecries there are (especially with brann/bolner)

Beasteh on
    I'm sure we'll see Control Shaman as a T1 deck in the meta report, at least at top legend. It can hold its own against the two dominant aggro decks and fares well against pretty much all the slower decks.

I imagine the first patch is gonna hit Shaman, Hunter, and Warlock as the most likely candidates, and then possibly some touches to decks that might get out of hand if Hunters aren't killing them right away (i.e., Druid, Mage).

Wonder if we'll see any buffs in the first patch (Warrior/DH?).

• Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    Oh wow, you just made me realize that I haven't seen a single warrior since coming back to the game. Pour one out for Garrosh.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    You'd probably have seen them a lot if you came back a few months earlier. The Pirate Warrior Quest was a terror of lower ranks. Very straight-forward and linearly powerful deck.

liEt3nH.png
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    They cast relics at the current buff level and buff your future relics.

They do not show the spell at your current buff level, so keep in mind how high it is yourself or use a deck tracker.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
    I saw one single warrior running the enrage package and lost to them quite badly because they were using that anima collector card combined with their location and enrage buff weapon to make beefy boys

Rank 4 with Shaman already. It seems I cannot lose!

See my profile here!
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I have just been bouncing between Silver 1 and 2 for the past several days. Win 3 games, lose 2, win 2, lose 3. It's getting silly. I can't tell if my deck just matches (skeleton mage) matches really poorly against what I'm seeing, if I'm making a bunch of mistakes I don't know about, making bad choices at mulligan, or some combination of all three that's preventing me from getting over the hump. Of the three main decks I'm seeing:

- Implock: I feel like I need a really strong draw, and they need a mediocre draw, for me to pull out a win. Their board gets wide with tons of stats really fast, and quickly out-ranges my removal
    - Hunter: mostly the wildseed variant which is again difficult to freeze again
    - Druid: they're insane right now

I honestly never know when to play Kel-Thuzad. A lot of times I feel like my skeletons aren't coming out fast enough because I'm trying to control the board. Others, he comes out with a full board and like 4-6 bonus skeletons that still aren't enough to close out the game. It's gotten to the point where I'm considering cutting the skeleton package.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I honestly never know when to play Kel-Thuzad. A lot of times I feel like my skeletons aren't coming out fast enough because I'm trying to control the board. Others, he comes out with a full board and like 4-6 bonus skeletons that still aren't enough to close out the game. It's gotten to the point where I'm considering cutting the skeleton package.

You're doing a freeze mage/skeleton mage/ping mage combo with Mordred, right?

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I ultimately crafted Mordred, yeah. My resources are a little limited right now.

Brann + Mordred or Brann + Kel is pretty beefy. Save your coin until the end.

edited August 2022
    Yeah. I was trying to avoid that to make a more tempo style, but honestly it feels far too slow to get the board moving or I just end up playing really early control anyway. Saving the coin until the very end of the game (assuming I've assembled those two pieces) feels really greedy. I could try the Kael + Bran + Mordred/KT combo, but I wonder if Kael will get nerfed.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Its Shamanstone at my ranks. Just all Shamans all the time

I think Skeleton Mage is just not good against Hunters and Ramp Druids. I think Imp Warlock is close to an even match on average but of course you can get blown out by them if they draw the nuts.

If you're having to play a more budget version with some substitutions that would definitely affect your performance. Giving up the Dawngrasps means you're losing out on some effective stall (/occasional removal) and another pseudo win condition with the ramping hero power.

edited August 2022
    I have never beaten a single druid as skele mage

They just ramp to 20 and spam tokens then brann denathrius me before I'm halfway through my deck

I keep trying to theotar their denathrius but I have never managed to grab it (yes I am waiting until they have played capture coldtooth mine but clever players wait until they have a lot of cards in hand before they start spamming tokens)

Beasteh on
    I think the only Druid I managed to beat with it was someone still playing Prestor Druid.

If, like me, you were waiting until after the expansion to claim the Twitch Prime reward for July, you have a week left to do it. Almost spaced that one myself.

Well, there’s Wild Legend for the month. Rank 5 Diamond and up eventually devolved into 50% Quest Rogue, 10% Beast Hunter, 10% Combo Rogue, 10% Pirate Rogue, 10% Druid of various flavours of bullshit, 5% Totem Shaman and 5% Shudderwock Shaman. Odd Quest Hunter basically says “you no can do smart stuff if you no have got face.”

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    I think Skeleton Mage is just not good against Hunters and Ramp Druids. I think Imp Warlock is close to an even match on average but of course you can get blown out by them if they draw the nuts.

If you're having to play a more budget version with some substitutions that would definitely affect your performance. Giving up the Dawngrasps means you're losing out on some effective stall (/occasional removal) and another pseudo win condition with the ramping hero power.

I managed to tweak the deck, with my last bit of dust crafted Sivara and Lady Naz'jar. They have helped a lot in terms of value, and Naz'jar is frankly great for more armor, though her other modes are certainly useful. So now I've got them, KT, Mordresh, and Magister support getting over the hump. It's helped and I hit Gold earlier this week. I haven't had as much time to play but it seems much smoother now.
    Beasteh wrote: »
    I have never beaten a single druid as skele mage

They just ramp to 20 and spam tokens then brann denathrius me before I'm halfway through my deck

I keep trying to theotar their denathrius but I have never managed to grab it (yes I am waiting until they have played capture coldtooth mine but clever players wait until they have a lot of cards in hand before they start spamming tokens)

I should really start tracking my winrates, but I know that my ramp druid winrate is abysmal. I think I beat a token druid or two... but those are the only ones I've seen.

Hearthstone must be some serious spaghetti code behind the scenes. Relic of Dimensions doesn't draw from the top of the deck.

Check out this game: https://hsreplay.net/replay/PBkh4FBgyvs8kU6sKbsN7D

I Topple The Idol dredge Theotar on turn 9 and follow it up with a doubled Relic of Dimensions. I don't draw Theotar.

On turn 11, I Topple The Idol dredge a School Teacher, which does get drawn next by Jace's Battlecry.

So the problem isn't Topple The Idol's dredge, its Relic of Dimensions way of drawing cards. Its super weird, why doesnt RoD draw from the top of the deck?

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Well, there’s Wild Legend for the month. Rank 5 Diamond and up eventually devolved into 50% Quest Rogue, 10% Beast Hunter, 10% Combo Rogue, 10% Pirate Rogue, 10% Druid of various flavours of bullshit, 5% Totem Shaman and 5% Shudderwock Shaman. Odd Quest Hunter basically says “you no can do smart stuff if you no have got face.”

Deck code pls

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    Hearthstone must be some serious spaghetti code behind the scenes. Relic of Dimensions doesn't draw from the top of the deck.

I Topple The Idol dredge Theotar on turn 9 and follow it up with a doubled Relic of Dimensions. I don't draw Theotar.

On turn 11, I Topple The Idol dredge a School Teacher, which does get drawn next by Jace's Battlecry.

So the problem isn't Topple The Idol's dredge, its Relic of Dimensions way of drawing cards. Its super weird, why doesnt RoD draw from the top of the deck?
    My guess is that all conditional draws (draw X minions, draw X spells, draw an X cost minion/spell) always draw randomly from all valid cards in your deck. Only straight up "draw a card" effects actually draw from the top of your deck.

emnmnme wrote: »
    Brann + Mordred or Brann + Kel is pretty beefy. Save your coin until the end.

Or play that (2)3/2 that adds a coin to your hand.

See my profile here!
    edited August 2022

My guess is that all conditional draws (draw X minions, draw X spells, draw an X cost minion/spell) always draw randomly from all valid cards in your deck. Only straight up "draw a card" effects actually draw from the top of your deck.

But Relic doesn't draw conditionally? It just says "Draw two cards and reduce their Cost by (1)."

edit: Like for instance Arcane Intellect "Draw two cards", I assume draws from the top of the deck

ObiFett on
    Welp, a dev commented about my post on Reddit and said they were thankful for finding the bug and will get it fixed. I'm gonna be the reason for a future patch note. Neat!

edited August 2022

But Relic doesn't draw conditionally? It just says "Draw two cards and reduce their Cost by (1)."

edit: Like for instance Arcane Intellect "Draw two cards", I assume draws from the top of the deck

Oh, I haven't played or seen it played yet so I didn't remember the exact effect. That's definitely weird, and I guess Relic must be flagged to draw randomly for some reason? Like you said, it's spaghetti in there. Maybe the dynamic scaling of the discount is part of it.

forty on
    Welp, a dev commented about my post on Reddit and said they were thankful for finding the bug and will get it fixed. I'm gonna be the reason for a future patch note. Neat!
    You might have to share credit with this person.

edited August 2022

nah, fuck them, I got the first dev response. :tongue:

Oh, I haven't played or seen it played yet so I didn't remember the exact effect. That's definitely weird, and I guess Relic must be flagged to draw randomly for some reason? Like you said, it's spaghetti in there. Maybe the dynamic scaling of the discount is part of it.

The guess is whatever intern coded the card copied the tutor function instead of the draw function, lol

ObiFett on

nah, fuck them, I got the first dev response. :tongue:
    I am amused by the implication that the devs pay more attention to reddit than their own bug report forum.

I'm sure most or all of us here have seen the Blizzard forums, so I can understand why.

Eh, the bug report forum actually has useful posts on it.

The Judge wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Deck code pls

### Odd Hunter

2x (1) Arcane Shot
    2x (1) Barbed Nets
    1x (1) Defend the Dwarven District
    2x (1) Flare
    2x (1) On the Hunt
    2x (1) Overwhelm
    1x (1) Secret Plan
    2x (1) Toxic Reinforcements
    2x (1) Tracking
    2x (1) Wound Prey
    2x (3) Aimed Shot
    2x (3) Kill Command
    2x (3) Shellshot
    2x (3) Stag Charge
    2x (3) Wild Spirits
    1x (5) Loatheb
    1x (9) Baku the Mooneater

Code: AAEBAdGLBQT6Dp74Aof7Av34Aw2oAoAH6asChbADudAD2+0D9/gDqZ8Eqp8EnbAEwdME0OQE1OQEAA==

Shellshot was probably the worst performing card in the deck; there weren’t enough minions in the format to make it work effectively. It should probably be Dragonbane Shot, unless you see more Pirate Rogue, Beast Hunter, and Totem Shaman than I did.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    Can someone remind me when they reset the tavern pass? Is it every new expansion, or will there be a reset when the mini-expansion hits?

Tavern pass resets with each full expansion (not mini-set). So once every ~4 months.

I was playing against a Shaman who was throwing out peons all game, no doubt buffing up Denathrius. Fine, better kill him quick. Turn 10 rolls around and I'm at full health with some armor and out pops Denathrius with 20 lifesteal. He clears my board but I survive and begin rebuilding. Turn 11, the Shaman throws down a parrot and it doesn't mimic Denathrius' 5 damage battlecry, no, it mimics the fully infused 20 damage battlecry. 40 damage to face over two turns and no good way to counter? Ben Brode is rolling in his grave.

new VS is out, warrior/paladin/dh are in serious trouble and need buffs

XL control shaman seems to be the deck to beat, very well rounded matchup spread and can scam ctrl in a myriad of ways by mutanus/theotar all their wincons over and over with macaw

Tavern pass resets with each full expansion (not mini-set). So once every ~4 months.

Awesome. So in that time period, if I do not by the Tavern Pass, and play regularly (say, ~4 games a day), what's the likelihood I'll get to Level 100?