As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Betelgeuse is dying!

2»

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    good. fuck that stupid star. i hope it stays dead

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    A naked-eye visible supernova in our lifetimes would be so rad. There were well-recorded visible supernovas in 1006, 1054, 1572, and 1604. Then none since!

I got to excited and told more people then I should have and now I gotta walk back the yeah it'll be cool as fuck but it might not happen factor god damn

It's still cool but like i got to excited by space again

Last time I did was worth it took my roomies on a long walk to watch the eclipse of mercury(? It was years ago but I'll be dead before it happens again) through a solar telescope and it's still one of the coolest things I've seen ever

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    Man this feels even worse then Haleys comet disintegrating after its last 1 or 2 passes.

Fuckin' what

2061 is all I've got to look forward to

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Back to Back, Belly to Belly
    I don't give a damn because I'm stone dead already

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    bwanie wrote: »
    Man this feels even worse then Haleys comet disintegrating after its last 1 or 2 passes.

Fuckin' what

2061 is all I've got to look forward to

They don't expect Halley's Comet to fall apart for another 40+ appearances, or well over 3,500 years from now.
    The outgassing rates inferred from the 1910 apparition and the brightness decay over the previous two millenia are compatible with the minimum nuclear brightness currently observed if the comet nucleus is small, 1.8–2.7 km radius with an albedo of 0.1–0.2. Outgassing is faster than from a bare nucleus of dirty H2O-ice, which is attributed either to a hot microdust coma or to an organic polymer composition. Halley's comet will decay away within another 45–65 apparitions.

Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society

Narbus on
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    I won't judge, because who among us won't degass ourselves to death within the next 45-65 cycles?

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    I could have sworn i've seen articles saying it was way less cycles left. Oh well good for that ole chunk of ice.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    uq0go36ec896.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    We just gotta say Betelgeuse three times and it'll show up and be a nuisance

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    2iydyyujze0g.jpg

?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    "Dead Star, Dead Staaaaar, I need a little light now, you were so very bright how, you glowed red in the sky."

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    [image of a goose]

?

not sure why you posted an image of what is clearly a goose

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    [image of a goose]

?

not sure why you posted an image of what is clearly a goose

4AgaSdy.png

?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Oh Betelgeuse!

(play laugh track, roll credits)

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    The star who cried wolf.

Nah i still love yah, you big red goofball.

PS: Mike Rowe sends his regards

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Booooo, blow the fuck up, I want to read a book by the light of your death throes so future generations can read about it in historical newspaper clippings.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Booooo, blow the fuck up, I want to read a book by the light of your death throes so future generations can read about it in historical newspaper clippings.

Historical what now?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "You see stars that clear have been dead for years, but the idea just lives on."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZc2ylAwRf8

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    My girlfriend got me a telescope for Christmas and now I finally have a reason to break it out that isn't "Spy on the local squirrels as they conduct yet another turf war across the street"