As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Totes!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Lebron has been in about a quarter of all NBA Finals and like 15% of all NBA Championship series

He’s also largely responsible for his championship window being slammed shut by a Russell Westbrook 17 foot brick off the back of the backboard

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I 100% believe the conspiracy theory that Miami was going to make Brady a player-owner, with Sean Payton as the coach. I would be surprised if we don't see a player-owner QB at some point in the next few decades. But I would also not be surprised if the NFL made some explicit rules forbidding it. There are probably some franchises in the league that would give away half the team for a championship, and some others that would never allow a grubby little player into their esteemed ownership group.

• Options
    The NFL is a criminal organization and thus I only see one type of player being accepted-into and having the moral indifference to joining NFL ownership- dipshit, white, beworshipped-by-conservatives QBs

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The NFL is a criminal organization and thus I only see one type of player being accepted-into and having the moral indifference to joining NFL ownership- dipshit, white, beworshipped-by-conservatives QBs
    So... Tom Brady.

sig.gif
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

The NFL is something much, much worse than a criminal organization: it's a law-abiding American corporation.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    aaand deshaun is in a uniform playing an NFL game (preseason but still)
    good job Rog

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    He's garbage but didn't he follow the collectively bargained process here?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    he did but the whole being able to play while your suspension is being decided thing is a gray area 'loophole' that Rog could easily close if he wanted to

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Let Watson play to a chorus of boos this year while he argues and appeals his suspension, let him earn his million for the season and then suspend him all of next season when he’s set to make his real money.

They would probably just restructure his contract, but I can dream damnit!

• Options
    Good chance that’s the only time he’ll be wearing the uni this season

Unfortunately he didn’t get catastrophically injured

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Let Watson play to a chorus of boos this year while he argues and appeals his suspension, let him earn his million for the season and then suspend him all of next season when he’s set to make his real money.

Any sign he isn’t going to be greeted with enthusiastic cheers?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Watson has graciously allowed that he would serve an eight game suspension and pay a $5 million fine.

Magnanimous!

• Options
    maraji wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »

Any sign he isn’t going to be greeted with enthusiastic cheers?

Any remaining browns fans are all in with him

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    At this point, I expect it's a given he'll play this season. I really hope (but don't really expect) the various media entities pariah him.

Just don't mention him unless you have to. Focus on the other players instead. Heck, not refering to him by name would be fucking awesome. "The quarterback takes the snap, steps back, and passes to Amari Cooper, who takes it into the end zone! What an incredible play by Cooper, he's really making himself known in Cleveland. Let's see that reception (but not the pass) again."

Especially no pre/post game press conferences. Let them put up a coach, or another player, if they want people to attend.

He should NOT be allowed to be normalized. I think forever (or at least until he shows the slightest actual humility and remorse), but definitely not this year.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Watson having a normal one in Jacksonville
    Jaguars fans welcome Deshaun Watson back to the NFL with a “You Sick Fuck” chant https://t.co/9xC8WTNO2B

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Watson having a normal one in Jacksonville
    Jaguars fans welcome Deshaun Watson back to the NFL with a “You Sick Fuck” chant https://t.co/9xC8WTNO2B

Goddamit Jacksonville. Don't make me root for you.

The Jaguars have only given society two good things.

1) Jaguars WTF guy.
    2) Jason Mendoza.

Now we add a new one. Hopefully it extends to all Cleveland away games (I figure home games are a lost cause, anyone local who has issue probably just won't attend), to the point they just have to mute the stadium noise whenever the Browns have the ball.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean not to stop those two very vocal guys, but that's like 3 or 4 guys on video.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean not to stop those two very vocal guys, but that's like 3 or 4 guys on video.

Yeah, but that's like 30% of a Jaguar's homegame attendance, isn't it?

• Options
    Punt God's first pre-season punt goes 82 for a touchback. Made college football twitter very excited.

• Options
    Punt God's first pre-season punt goes 82 for a touchback. Made college football twitter very excited.

As someone on the Twitter points out, kinda makes playing for field position unimportant. Throw three long bombs, and if that doesn't work, punt it 80+yds and have the opponent get it at their 20.

Maybe need to train up some of those gunners to field the ball. Ball came down inside the 15, if he can give it some more air time at a shorter distance, should be able to have a player under the ball by the time it lands. Force the opponents to keep someone deep to fair catch deep, or have one of your own players down it.

Will be interesting what happens inside a dome. Can see repeated doinks off the jumbotron in Jerrahworld. I think that's the one with the lowest ceiling (video equipment included)?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I wonder if there is a moment when the league considers enlarging the playing field. Because a game where three bombs and a punt becomes normal would be awful to watch.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Only seen one kick from him, but generally long kicks like that are lower trajectory on release aren't they? Better have a really good ST line in front of him

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Only seen one kick from him, but generally long kicks like that are lower trajectory on release aren't they? Better have a really good ST line in front of him

He kicks very high

He had a great inside-20 rate too

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    "All these amateurs, pfft."
    -Justin Tucker, probably

• Options

He kicks very high

He had a great inside-20 rate too

Yeah Punt God is not just Punt God because his leg is a howitzer. He definitely has touch in situations that require it.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Launch angle seemed fairly decent on the sample size of one with an NFL ball. Now, watching some of what he did with the Aztecs in the Mountain West, he definitely prefers booming them deep down the middle of the field and didn't have a lot of control trying to coffin corner it, which he'll definitely need to improve at the NFL level and he has a long wind up.

But with his leg, and the fact he was also an above average place kicker in college, his ceiling seems most limited by how good the Bills staff can coach him up, as his measurables do live up to the nickname.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    https://www.nfl.com/news/vikings-qb-kirk-cousins-tests-positive-for-covid-19-will-miss-preseason-opener-v
    "Vikings QB Kirk Cousins tests positive for COVID-19, will miss preseason opener vs. Raiders"

I didn't hear about this until the opening squawk by the commentators on tonight's game.

Made me laugh. Fuck him, kinda hope it makes him unable to play well the rest of the year.

"You like that? YOU LIKE THAT?". Yes, Kirk, I do. Fuckhead.

• Options
    Don’t worry, Kirk wasn’t gonna play well enough this season regardless

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular

Oh the WYTS on Drew's favorite team will be glorious.

• Options
    Jason Garrett, who has failed at pretty much everything, including failing to get hired as a coach somewhere (in all fairness, Houston is holding out for that damp sock to become available) will be a placeholder broadcaster on NBC for Notre Dame games. Because he will return as part of the coaching retread carousel.

On the plus side, one more reason not to watch ND games. I didn't need one, but I can hold it in reserve for emergencies.

Also, too, Aaron Rodgers finally noticed the dead animal on his face and got rid of it.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Jason Garrett, who has failed at pretty much everything, including failing to get hired as a coach somewhere (in all fairness, Houston is holding out for that damp sock to become available) will be a placeholder broadcaster on NBC for Notre Dame games. Because he will return as part of the coaching retread carousel.

On the plus side, one more reason not to watch ND games. I didn't need one, but I can hold it in reserve for emergencies.

Also, too, Aaron Rodgers finally noticed the dead animal on his face and got rid of it.

I've never had expectations take such a blow as when the Giants hired him as offensive coordinator

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I will never cease to be salty about the contract that the Vikings gave to Kirk "I'd be a fantastic great good QB backup QB!" Cousins.

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »

I've never had expectations take such a blow as when the Giants hired him as offensive coordinator

All that really needs to be said about Jason Garrett is that one stated reason why Jerrah refused to fire him for so long was that he was afraid that Garrett would turn into a Belichick and go somewhere else and be really awesome.

And the layers to unpack there are spectacular.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    You’re missing the worst pet of that ND announcing news

Garrett’s partner is Cris Collinsworth’s 27-year old completely unaccomplished son Jac

No h no k

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I wonder if there is a moment when the league considers enlarging the playing field. Because a game where three bombs and a punt becomes normal would be awful to watch.

That would only work if your opponent did the same thing. If you go 3 and out and kick a touchback, and your opponent marches down the field for 10 minutes, and then you go 3 and out again (even if it's a touchdown), your defense is going to get gassed really quick. Not to mention your offense gets really predictable, the defense can just treat every down like a third and long.

This is kinda how high-level Madden games go though.

• Options
    It gives you the option to be more aggressive in your offense though

I actually see why Belichick is so horny for punting now- the possibilities that Punt God represents is akin to what Steph and Dame did to basketball

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    it's like raising the hoop from 10' to 11'

• Options
    Carl Nassib may return with Tampa Bay.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Drew Lock is QB1 and all* is right with the world.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Drew Lock is QB1 and all* is right with the world.

Life comes at ya fast. https://t.co/aMTjchI2EQ

gba87o4b8u7c.jpg