As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] Necropolis (Quality of Life League) arrives on March 29th!

SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
edited March 19 in Games and Technology
y8yh4ey1jwbq.png

Path of Exile is a Free to Play action RPG with a large amount of character customization and playstyles. The developers have stated that they will never add "Pay-to-Win" features to the in-game store and generally the store contains cosmetic micro-transactions as well as some very useful account upgrades. It's not uncommon to see Path of Exile be cited as an example of Free-to-Play "done right".

The gameplay is similar to other ARPGs although it can be a little slow to start. Builds are often very involved and can include several unique items that play off one another to create powerful effects. There are three sub-classes for each of the main classes along with a massive passive tree that allows players to tune builds to their liking.
Upcoming League:

Current Content:

Useful Links:
The Unofficial Wiki.
The developer's player trading index site.
A third party player trading index site.
An online passive tree planner.
A calculator to help you figure out the most efficient way to recolor your item sockets with chromatic orbs.
The official forums.
An economic snapshot/price tracker tool.

Trading:
For the majority of players trading is facilitated by looking for items on Path of Exile's main website here: http://pathofexile.com/trade. Once an item a player wants is found, they can whisper the seller (usually by clicking a link on the search page which auto-copies a message that can be pasted in the game client) to see if a trade can be made. Sometimes this process is quick and easy, other times it is extremely frustrating. The developers have been teasing about improvements to this system for some time, but at the moment any concrete information is absent.

To have items appear on poe.trade a player can purchase a premium stash from the in game store and then elect to have the contents of that stash tab be public which will allow indexers to see the items as well as any prices the owner may have set on those items. It is also possible to list items for sale without premium stash tabs, this can be done using a third party application: either Acquisition or Procurement. These tools can look through the items in your stash tabs and then auto-generate text to either be pasted in, or automatically posted to a sale thread on the forums. The sale thread will then be read by the indexer sites mentioned previously.

It's also possible to trade via trade chat or by trying to buy/sell things on the forums, but doing this is incredibly difficult and time consuming and not recommended. New players will also almost certainly be taken advantage of in either of those places immediately.

It's totally viable to play the entire game without trading at all. Many players do this, some use the newly added SSF (solo self found) feature which has a separate ladder and makes it impossible for the player to group or trade with others. Players can opt out of SSF mode at anytime, though they will be removed from the SSF ladder.

PA Guild:
There is a forum guild; to be invited, post one of your character names in the thread.

If you are a member of the guild, feel free to use the guild stash as you like, I generally put items in there that I would like anyone to take, and I assume most people do the same.

Many thanks to mccart and Rius for the OP!

Steam: Spawnbroker
Spawnbroker on

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    path of exile

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    ex of pathile

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Sunder buffs

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    better wave speed on sunder = direct buff to sunder cast on melee kill bodyswap, the ultimate power move

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awb3aEKTe1U

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    As always top quality music to go with your vod.

• Options
    i saw the midnight in la a couple years ago and the sax guy went out in front of the singer and did his solo leaning like 90 degrees backwards with his eyes closed it fucking ruled

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Apparently 3.19 also has the ability to center your UI on ultra wides.

• Options
    I really enjoyed Spark last league, I'm wondering if I can just switch that build from Inquisitor to Trickster and have it still work OK.

• Options
    i cant believe how cracked new bringer of rain is

lvl 30 melee phys is 59% more dmg

lvl 30 faster attacks is 54% attack speed

blind has strong nodes along the bottom and right side of tree

im rushing it

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    i cant believe how cracked new bringer of rain is

lvl 30 melee phys is 59% more dmg

lvl 30 faster attacks is 54% attack speed

blind has strong nodes along the bottom and right side of tree

im rushing it

rushing it for ur facebreaker animated guardian of course

re: bodyswap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPpDqIImEEo

i have very much enjoyed making builds that give u epilepsy and cause instance crashes ever since they let u stack lightning warp

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    jesus

they gave lvl 30 added lightning to thunderfists

and lvl 30 added chaos to the convenant chest

its like... 4 support gems worth of dps...

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    The Covenant is going to be really popular in the first week I think, especially early on. Lotta youtubers/guide writers are hyping it up, plus chaos minions like they'd be popular given the overall changes. Hopefully the unique drop rate changes won't be TOO savage.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    I would just assume that anything that looks good is gonna be rare, since I believe they said they are readjusting the drop tiers for all the reworked uniques, in addition to them reducing unique drops, and having way fewer rares spawning on average.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    My Arc Trickster build I'm playing around with in case anyone else likes self-cast lightning skills and also wants to play around with Trickster:

https://pobb.in/ZIvHhCLe7XCa

It's pretty SSF-friendly and should at least be able to farm T16 maps. Minefield in the POB is Galvanic Field.

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Lightning conduit's numbers look insane, feels like there's definitely a build there. At least with elementalist since they can just scale ailment effect with shaper of storms and then just use storm brand to automatically reshock after every conduit cast. People are speculating it should be possible to get the full 65% shock without TOO much investment just based on ailment effect (incl shaper of storms more shock effect, 246% increased ailment effect is enough for 65%, and you can get at least 200 on tree fairly trivially.)

Problem is how it feels to play in practice. The actual act of two-buttoning and getting enough inc aoe for shock prolif+LC to actually cover most of the screen so you're not spamming conduit every time you take a couple of steps.

Plus, ailment avoid will be basically a bricked map, certain league mechanics will have shock immune which is also a brick.
    Chaos/poison AW seems as good as expected. Just felt ass for me last time I league started with it. Super strong and I didn't even mind resummoning weapons when I died even in endgame invitations like feared, but the actual mapping with it was so uncomfortable for me. Strong as hell though, I helped frawrst kill a t16 burial chambers boss who was high on roughly a million soul eater stacks on day 2 on basically 0 investment, just a tabula, before I even switched to chaos. Tanky enough (though obviously that's getting nerfed), and good enough damage even before you transition to chaos+ci, and once you do it's insane.
    Actually a bummer that harbinger seems like it's not going to be worth any kind of investment unless you just feel like playing the mirror shard lottery. Harbinger's been basically my favorite league mechanic since it came out, getting zana 7 back in the day felt so fuckin' good. Now it's like, ex shards are weak, ancient orbs are cheap, annuals have been worthless forever, and map sustain is not even a concept anymore.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    you can get fucked up shock application in quite a few ways, if u wanted to go full afk u could use any loop setup or a level 1 cwdt bullshit job to spam a cracked out arc or whatever because ur elementalist and dont care about base damage, kitavas thirst, whatever

the most alpha move of course would be to use lightning warp but thats for True Doom Murderheads Only

if u wanted a vintage meme u could do the shock aura meme w/ maligaros restraint, inpulsa and a shock source that has ele prolif. its a lot of free stats and damage and less of a meme than it looks because as elementalist u get so much free aoe during normal mapping, and the prolif will use ur stats, very fun

i guess these days u could use replica winterheart if u didnt want to go inpulsa for 5% es regen free? or could use it with even. either way fun

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Problem is if you remove shock from aoe shock effects it doesn't reapply for ~4 seconds, same reason why you can't just play necro to desecrate then spam lightning conduit.

Kitava's Thirst is unfortunate because part of the Giga buffs for LC was reduced base mana cost which is obviously a good thing but fucks over the automation there. Having said that, going archmage and/or using the league mechanic to try to get increased mana cost both % and flat on your jewelry could be fun and potentially really strong. Having said that, if you're going to empty cast LC twice (on average) to trigger kitava's thirst, you might as well just press storm brand and then press LC. Might be worth it for non-elementalist though, since they can't so trivially apply a full shock.

Running a cwdt loop probably wouldn't be worth the investment but yes could be meme-y.

Shock prolif is a mastery now so that part is trivial.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    Any reason not to go CoC Cyclone with lightning?

• Options
    Seems possible! Or even CoC Cyclone with Mjolner to automate the shock. Probably be a pain in the ass to build but definitely seems fun/meme-y. You could run shock nova for an extra +10 max shock effect too.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Euphemon wrote: »
    Problem is if you remove shock from aoe shock effects it doesn't reapply for ~4 seconds, same reason why you can't just play necro to desecrate then spam lightning conduit.

Kitava's Thirst is unfortunate because part of the Giga buffs for LC was reduced base mana cost which is obviously a good thing but fucks over the automation there. Having said that, going archmage and/or using the league mechanic to try to get increased mana cost both % and flat on your jewelry could be fun and potentially really strong. Having said that, if you're going to empty cast LC twice (on average) to trigger kitava's thirst, you might as well just press storm brand and then press LC. Might be worth it for non-elementalist though, since they can't so trivially apply a full shock.

Running a cwdt loop probably wouldn't be worth the investment but yes could be meme-y.

Shock prolif is a mastery now so that part is trivial.

for the self-shock setup it uses ur prolif radius, and ele prolif is 15 + 20% area from anom qual, while the mastery is just 10, so would be nice extra radius + its an aura so fine for brainless mapping

then u can have a secondary whatever for single target and yeah at that point its just like, set up whatever trigger u want and snort the shocks

vaal lightning strike w/ mjolner is actually quite a funny spell dispenser (or even static strike)

ultimate move gotta be setting up ur ag to do it and using chains of command, somebody else do the work there

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Seems possible! Or even CoC Cyclone with Mjolner to automate the shock. Probably be a pain in the ass to build but definitely seems fun/meme-y. You could run shock nova for an extra +10 max shock effect too.

Cyclone with CWC and Galvanic Field on Thunderfists, thats 100% increased local Shock effect right there attached to a level 30 Lightning Damage 5 link. You'd need a Squire to make the Lighting Conduit a 6L, though. Add an Inpulsas for fun and excitement.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Lightning conduit's numbers look insane, feels like there's definitely a build there. At least with elementalist since they can just scale ailment effect with shaper of storms and then just use storm brand to automatically reshock after every conduit cast. People are speculating it should be possible to get the full 65% shock without TOO much investment just based on ailment effect (incl shaper of storms more shock effect, 246% increased ailment effect is enough for 65%, and you can get at least 200 on tree fairly trivially.)

Problem is how it feels to play in practice. The actual act of two-buttoning and getting enough inc aoe for shock prolif+LC to actually cover most of the screen so you're not spamming conduit every time you take a couple of steps.

I thiiiink I'll be okay with the QoL as I played tectonic slam chieftain last league, which was something like a six-button build? I'm still having trouble PoBing out the details on conduit/shock nova/galvanic to make it clear it does enough damage. Shock nova definitely does not do enough damage by itself; that's what I've learned PoBing shock so far.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    these builds sound exciting - electrifying even - but i think we might be shocked by the results

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Cyclone with CWC and Galvanic Field on Thunderfists, thats 100% increased local Shock effect right there attached to a level 30 Lightning Damage 5 link. You'd need a Squire to make the Lighting Conduit a 6L, though. Add an Inpulsas for fun and excitement.

You don't want shock effect on your Lighting Conduit or your Galvanic Field, you want it on your actual shocking skill (arc/nova/storm brand/whatever).

LC also has the property where the cast time (.5) gets added onto the CD if you trigger it so the cooldown would be ~.65 for CoC and ~.85 for level 20 CwC. Forgot about that.

So if it was like, Mjolner CoC Cyclone, you'd do mjolner: shocknova-galvanic field-unbound ailments(possibly? depends on whether you have enough ailment effect on gear/tree)/inc aoe, then cyclone-coc-lc-whatever damage links in your chest.

Not really a great reason to run CwC in thunderfists. Shock effect does nothing on your LC or GF, level 30 doesn't make up for a 6link. I guess you could just run it as your league start since I doubt people care about thunderfists. So you'd do like, CwC-Cyclone-LC-whatever damage link-(added lightning), then have mjolner with the same links.
    Invictus wrote: »

I thiiiink I'll be okay with the QoL as I played tectonic slam chieftain last league, which was something like a six-button build? I'm still having trouble PoBing out the details on conduit/shock nova/galvanic to make it clear it does enough damage. Shock nova definitely does not do enough damage by itself; that's what I've learned PoBing shock so far.

Yeah, LC would be doing the vast vast bulk of your damage. Galv field can help with clear but I'm not sure it'll be worth it because you'd have to trigger it. Then you can just use whatever shock enabler, either shock nova or storm brand or whatever, and that's just to shock while doing basically 0 damage by itself. PoB won't have the numbers up till just before launch but if you just look at the gem info, the numbers for LC are INSANE.
    Having said that, it feels like it'd be much easier to just run selfcast. Esp if you're using stormbrand, you're realistically just pressing it once per screen/boss and then holding down LC anyway. It's not even as two-button as bf/bb which is popular enough. Maybe you have galv field in a trigger weapon but again I'm not sure if it's worth it. If there's nothing else to spend sockets on I guess you might as well craft it on your weapon if you have an open suffix.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022

You don't want shock effect on your Lighting Conduit or your Galvanic Field, you want it on your actual shocking skill (arc/nova/storm brand/whatever).

LC also has the property where the cast time (.5) gets added onto the CD if you trigger it so the cooldown would be ~.65 for CoC and ~.85 for level 20 CwC. Forgot about that.

So if it was like, Mjolner CoC Cyclone, you'd do mjolner: shocknova-galvanic field-unbound ailments(possibly? depends on whether you have enough ailment effect on gear/tree)/inc aoe, then cyclone-coc-lc-whatever damage links in your chest.

Not really a great reason to run CwC in thunderfists. Shock effect does nothing on your LC or GF, level 30 doesn't make up for a 6link. I guess you could just run it as your league start since I doubt people care about thunderfists. So you'd do like, CwC-Cyclone-LC-whatever damage link-(added lightning), then have mjolner with the same links.

Yeah musing about how Thunderfists, depending on drop rate, is now an easy 5 link that takes of the pressure off finding a linked chest piece. At least for early mapping/late story.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    just put a cast on crit setup into ur ngamahus flame and then let ur cocballs trigger the lightning

stack duration, static strike with a bunch of chain, trigger ur ball's offscreen

simple's

then fully convert ur lightning to fire for the style points, who cares ur elementalist anyway, become the coc baller

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I'm confused by the changes to Vaal Summon Skeletons. Feels like a pointless change.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    We've lowered the base hit damage of the skill by 35% and have raised the hit damage multiplier that is based on the Shock strength from 15% to 20% per 5% at gem level 20. Damage Effectiveness has been updated to 190%.

FYI on Lightning Conduit adjustments

Carpy on
  • Options
    Yep, that didn't last long lol. Buffed and nerfed within a day. Should still be good just not as absolutely insane.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    I don't often see pre-release nerfs. Shit must've been bananabonkers.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Ahhh damn, yeah they moved the +2 minions modifier off of the necromancer skill tree and onto a corrupted implicit mod (and sort of the helmet mod by switching it from local to global).

Who even likes ascendency skills feeling impactful? Definitely not meeeee. First they came for the Hierophant totem skills, now Necromancer also becomes "eh fine I'll take it" instead of something that feels good to skill into.

It's okay, it has been replaced with the thrill of farming more currency and the thrill of RNG.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Who even likes ascendency skills feeling impactful? Definitely not meeeee. First they came for the Hierophant totem skills, now Necromancer also becomes "eh fine I'll take it" instead of something that feels good to skill into.

wellll, to play devils advocate.. beating Izaro has also gotten much easier over time. i could see them using that as a reason for more nerfs to ascendancies ;p

• Options
    Possible league saving change:

They did buff soulrend a decent amount, and I own the celestial cat MTX for that.

Quick, someone convince me this synergizes with new trickster and will be an awesome league starter.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Oh wow they did buff Soulrend DOT, but they also nerfed the hit damage. Might have to theorycraft that one a bit in PoB

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Xantus wrote: »

wellll, to play devils advocate.. beating Izaro has also gotten much easier over time. i could see them using that as a reason for more nerfs to ascendancies ;p

Rework Izaro.

The skill tree has become less and less powerful over time and ascendancies blend in with each other now.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Oh wow they did buff Soulrend DOT, but they also nerfed the hit damage. Might have to theorycraft that one a bit in PoB

It looks like a pure buff? Unless they did some macro level thing I didn't see:

New: Effectiveness of Added Damage 170%
    Old: Effectiveness of Added Damage 150%
    New: Deals 885 to 1327 Chaos Damage
    Old: Deals 716 to 1074 Chaos Damage

New: Deals 2642.5 Base Chaos Damage per second
    Old: Deals 2138.5 Base Chaos Damage per second

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022

It looks like a pure buff? Unless they did some macro level thing I didn't see:

New: Effectiveness of Added Damage 170%
    Old: Effectiveness of Added Damage 150%
    New: Deals 885 to 1327 Chaos Damage
    Old: Deals 716 to 1074 Chaos Damage

New: Deals 2642.5 Base Chaos Damage per second
    Old: Deals 2138.5 Base Chaos Damage per second

Holy shit I had the damage effectiveness backwards.

Coffee...

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    i told them to turn the +2minions into a skeleton specialist node and a spectre specialist node to match the zombie specialist node

would be more thematic and interesting

but they never listen to me, brane geniouse

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    i told them to turn the +2minions into a skeleton specialist node and a spectre specialist node to match the zombie specialist node

would be more thematic and interesting

but they never listen to me, brane geniouse

Lol yeah that was actually the old fun necromancer tree. Before the update that made summoners mega FotM (the one that added the +2 minion levels amongst other stuff), the Bestiary ascendency rework had powerful specialist skills instead. There was a skeleton one and a spectre one, but they were removed with the new system. I was okay with it because the new nodes were mega impactful (and they rolled the skeleton node into the skeleton gem, no complaining here), buuuut that couldn't last so we are now back to pre-bestiary boring ascendency.

This is why I have balancing whiplash. When I started they were prioritizing having very impactful ascendency nodes, they doubled down on that, aaand then at some point they changed their mind and decided they didn't want people to feel locked into an ascendency for a particular skill. Not the worst idea, but they "solved" it by making the nodes boring instead of less specialized.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    well it depends on the rework

the more considered ones, a la trickster, work

but here they just obviously needed a last min replacement and picked something at random as filler until they get round to doing it properly

obF2Wuw.png