As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy]: the octagon is triangled

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Some new information on TO:Re
    Tactics Ogre: Reborn, the upcoming remake of the classic tactical role-playing game originally developed by Quest, will feature plenty of changes over the PSP version that will make it more enjoyable than ever.

In a new interview with Famitsu, series creator Yasumi Matsuno, Producer Hiroaki Kato, Director Takashi Katano, Sound Directors Tomohiro Yajima and Hitoshi Sakamoto, and Lead Game Designer Naoyuki Takahashi talked about the upcoming remake, how the project came to be and the many improvements that it will introduce over the PSP version upon which the remake is based. Producer Hiroaki Kato, who also led the development of Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, wanted to work on the series for a while, and the know-how used during the development of the remaster of the twelfth entry in the Final Fantasy series lead to the development of Tactics Ogre: Reborn.

Regarding gameplay, Tactics Ogre: Reborn will feature many changes over the PSP version, and many of these changes are based on fan feedback, such as the return of individual unit levels like in the original. The remake will also feature the Training Mode that was removed from the game in the PSP release and an enhanced power leveling mechanic that makes it easier to level up, increasing obtained experience points when fighting higher-leveled enemies. Grinding for experience, however, will be limited by the new Union Level mechanic, a sort of army level that increases as the story progresses. This should help the game retain some sort of balance on the first playthrough.

The improvements introduced in Tactics Ogre: Reborn do not stop at gameplay enhancements. Interface improvements include far fewer menus in combat so that players will have every available command on screen without having to go through multiple menus. AI has been recreated from scratch and improved a lot, as the enemy will adapt to the player more dynamically than in the original. Yasumi Matsuno highlighted how the AI is very competent and more than capable of handling by itself some of the more straightforward battles, like those in Training Mode. Some spells and skills have also been removed, and the number of spells that can be assigned to a single unit has been decreased, speeding up the pacing of combat considerably.

Tactics Ogre Reborn launches on November 11th on PC, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch.

https://wccftech.com/tactics-ogre-reborn-gameplay-ui-improvements-detailed-wont-feature-new-content-as-the-developer-deemed-psp-version-already-had-more-than-enough/

There is also a Famitsu interview with Yasumi Matsuno (director for Ogre series, FFT ) but I only just started reading through it (in Japanese so you might have to machine translate it):

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202208/17272199.html

Edit:
    • Going into this they decided not to add any new content, since the PSP version already sufficiently expanded on the SNES version
    • Class based leveling in the PSP version was poorly received so individual leveling is back. They introduced power leveling under-leveled units when hitting higher level enemies. Maps now reward consumable XP items so you can level up straggling characters even faster or stock them for when you know you'll get a character you were waiting for. Union level is the level cap placed on your entire army, meaning you cannot massively overlevel yourself during the story campaign. Matsuno expects the difficulty to be higher than in the PSP version.
    • Training is back so you can AI train units with the improved AI system too. Matsuno would just leave leveling to the AI in training while he goes to make coffee.
    • UI improvements means you can see everything worth knowing at a glance and selecting commands doesn't involve digging through menus; combined with the 2X speed option really lets you speed up the pace of combat
    • A lot of skill, spell, and item bloat has been removed. Units also have a limited number of spell, skill, and item slots so you'll have to specialize them a bit. This aids the game in a UI, AI, and streamlined battle decision making sense.
    • The AI is a lot more competent now thanks to improved hardware, modern AI design improvements, and streamlining the skill/ item/ spell selections. Thanks to all that the AI can focus quickly on terrain, unit arrangements, exposed backlines, etc.
    • The dialogue was edited for what sounds good when spoken (voice acted) instead of what sounds good when read. Over 90 voice actors participated and Matsuno loves the cutscenes all the more for it. Matsuno says he rarely watches anime, so his picks for voice actors in Tactics Ogre Reborn is to use those who dub Western movies and foreign dramas, the same method he used for Final Fantasy XII.
    • All sound effects and music was rerecorded.
    • Why reboot Tactics Ogre? Kato was inspired to do so after FFXII: The Zodiac Age. With the experience and "know-how" he gained after improving the battle design, playability, and visuals in that game he though he could now create a new "Tactics Ogre" and started development."

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    My big question is whether they'll do anything about class balance. Archers and Ninjas were the only classes worth bringing in the PSP version, Canopus and Arycelle could devastate an entire enemy team on their own. I'd like to see Fusiliers get some love, if for no other reason than I adore the female fusilier's artwork enough that I forcibly made a good unit and brought her to every battle.

Rune Fencer/Valkyrie, Dragoon, and Swordmaster could use some help, too.

• Options
    To illustrate the power leveling mechanic Matsuno posted a video demonstrating bringing level 1 units into battle with level 50s.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    So in addition to the power-leveling they mentioned XP consumables so you can level up newcomers / target straggling party members without having to go into training. They are called Experience Charms and from the video come in six varieties, Lvl 1-5 where they give a flat amount that doubles each tier (100, 200, 400, 800, 1600), and then the rare candy tier that just gives you enough to finish a level up (leaving you at 0 XP in your new level).

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Wow, I love level up items being in grindier RPGs with lots of characters.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Today they are showing off a bit of the streamlined UI and how limiting skill and spell selection speeds up combat:

ed75l2dk2kfc.jpg

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    So with individual unit leveling returning units will also gain stats depending on the class they level up as.

Here they normalize the starting stats of a few level 1 units of different classes and do a quick power leveling session so you can see the difference between them at level 17.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    That's awesome, that's what I want from a tactics game. I want my units to have history.

• Options
    Square Enix website updated
    Take a new look at Tactics Ogre: Reborn
    New to Tactics Ogre - or just want a refresh? We take a look at the gameplay systems in the game and why it’s still considered the crown jewel of tactical RPGS!

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Please for fuck's sake have shared EXP in this one.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'm interested in seeing where it's going. But I do hope that the "intertwining stories" bit is more involved than the first game.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I'm interested in seeing where it's going. But I do hope that the "intertwining stories" bit is more involved than the first game.

it looks that way from the trailer, occasionally the characters were talking to one another. let's hope they attempt to fix that at least

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I find it interesting that it's the same 8 classes. That's a neat through-line for the series.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Just having a final tie-together event/boss that isn't a hidden overtuned superboss with threadbare story would be enough for me. Like Live-a-Live actually brings its completely separate stories together in the end for an epic conclusion. Just do something in that direction.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I need to finish Live A Live. I started it and then almost immediately got distracted away from it. I think I only played it twice.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Octopath II is hitting Switch, Steam, and Playstation all on February 24th, as confirmed by this longer trailer, with more detail on the characters and path actions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnWECNElOh8

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Hopefully during today's Sony Play event they announce a hot drop of Octopath 1. That game is on all other current gen systems now. Switch, XBox, Steam. Only missing from PS4/5. So hopefully they just drop it today. That would be neat.

• Options
    Just watched the trailer during my lunch break. Good lord it's even more beautiful than the first game.

The work this team does with the HD2D is breathtaking. And all the new effects, camera angles, and highly detailed sprites are even better than ever before. Day 1 for sure.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Enlong wrote: »
    They say other travellers interact more but I'm worried they might stick to mostly the same formula as the last one.

If every character is getting four chapters instead of being assimilated into one big one that involves everybody, I'm not holding out much hope the story and balancing won't hold the game back like last time.

And I say that even as someone who really liked Octopath. Those four chapters a character each and a tiny cast in them don't give them much to work with. They're over almost as soon as they begin, none of them got time to breathe or develop as much as they should have which is shame since the writing is pretty charming, it just can feel kind of rushed.

Looks as beautiful as ever though. Could stare at HD-2D all day. Goddamn.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I wonder if this takes place in a new universe or a continuation of the first game.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I wonder if this takes place in a new universe or a continuation of the first game.
    Square Enix website mentions it takes place in a "different era" so I'm sure thats some implication the universe is the same even if its not going to really touch on much if anything from the first one.

Probably a shitload of time has passed though and its obviously two different countries. They've mentioned you also don't have to have played Octopath 1 so everything is probably going to be pretty self contained anyway.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I'd almost buy it just for the soundtrack.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Also Triangle Strategy on PC in a month!

Yessss. Been waiting.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    8 things you need to know about OCTOPATH TRAVELER II from SE's website.

Of particular note is item 7:
    7. Characters interact more, and share additional stories
    One of the most common requests from players of OCTOPATH TRAVELER was that they wanted to see the different protagonists interact with each other more. Consider that feedback well and truly received!

In OCTOPATH TRAVELER II, there are more interactions between the different members of the group. Additional stories will unfold between the protagonists as their journey progresses, deepening the characters and their relationships.

I know that's something I and many others thought could be improved upon from the original.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »

One of the most common requests from players of OCTOPATH TRAVELER was that they wanted to see the different protagonists interact with each other more. Consider that feedback well and truly received!

In OCTOPATH TRAVELER II, there are more interactions between the different members of the group. Additional stories will unfold between the protagonists as their journey progresses, deepening the characters and their relationships.

I know that's something I and many others thought could be improved upon from the original.

TBF any story interaction would by definition be "more" than the zero in the original.

• Options
    $180 for the collector's edition. :#

I just want the digital download and the artbook dudes

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Square Enix website mentions it takes place in a "different era" so I'm sure thats some implication the universe is the same even if its not going to really touch on much if anything from the first one.

Probably a shitload of time has passed though and its obviously two different countries. They've mentioned you also don't have to have played Octopath 1 so everything is probably going to be pretty self contained anyway.

There's a locomotive in one part of the trailer

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Andy Joe wrote: »

TBF any story interaction would by definition be "more" than the zero in the original.

There were little vignettes during story missions where that story's character would have a little conversation with one of the others, but they were inconsequential and unvoiced. This trailer has already shown a voiced dialogue interaction between two party members, so it's more than that already.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So they did the whole character name shenanigans again (spelling out Octopath).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    EDIT: whoops, misread.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    Well, a few months to try to actually get around to finishing the first one. I wonder if I'll manage it(probably not. Still haven't finished any of the Bravely games either).

• Options
    Well, a few months to try to actually get around to finishing the first one. I wonder if I'll manage it(probably not. Still haven't finished any of the Bravely games either).
    How far did you get becuase Bravely Default is soooo good despite some of the bullshit they pull on you lategame to pad out the runtime.

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    How far did you get becuase Bravely Default is soooo good despite some of the bullshit they pull on you lategame to pad out the runtime.

I got up to chapter 5(I think. The first
    time reset
    ). I got killed by one of the bosses on the world map and never got around to grinding levels and job points to go back.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I wouldn't worry about it at this point

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    We've yet to see if anything really new is in this game besides pretties. If you tired of the first game before the end, the second may bore you quickly if it's more of the same.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    So at Tokyo Game Show today they showed off some more OT2 with live English interpretation. More original music, even further improved visuals and more varied camera angles, improved environments (outdoors and indoors), mostly the same combat system but now with unique limit break attacks that each member can build up to, more actual party interaction

https://youtu.be/TJmCRqmhRnI?t=8319

Here is the Japanese stream without the english interpreter voice over

https://youtu.be/Vh1GtFEWekw?t=18807

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R_zocToLi8

Tactics Ogre panel at Tokyo Game Show. Touching on voice acting, music, gameplay, UI, jokes about how archers are broken, etc.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    So humble bundle screwed up on a sale earlier today and put the preorder for octopath 2 on Steam for $30.

I caught it JUST before they fixed it. Here’s hoping they don’t cancel the order lol.