As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Remember when we said no NPC's or Companions in West Virginia ? Never mind.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    One of my pet peeves with new enemy mods is that 90% of the time is that they all feel bullet spongey rather than a part of the natural difficulty of the game.

I run into it so much. I appreciate the work that went into this weird catfish monster thing but if its going to just be popping up in early game areas, maybe it shouldn't have the defensive stats of a sherman tank.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The SuperDuper Mart also looks great

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    One of my pet peeves with new enemy mods is that 90% of the time is that they all feel bullet spongey rather than a part of the natural difficulty of the game.

I run into it so much. I appreciate the work that went into this weird catfish monster thing but if its going to just be popping up in early game areas, maybe it shouldn't have the defensive stats of a sherman tank.

Agreed and I have thrown out several mods with cool stuff in skyrim and fallout 4 because of this.

Like the game has leveled lists and the ability to autoscale creature stats in the editor for a reason. But even if you don’t use those at least put some thought into it..

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    new Fallout 76 roadmap for the rest of the year is up:

0aQhQZ2.jpg

Playing through New Vegas expansions. Dead money is both easier and just as annoying than I remember.

i think I should have downloaded the companion mod for Living Desert that lets you play after the end and done most of the expansions after though. Honest hearts blends in fine with the main game but OWB—>Dead Money —> Lonesome Road is a bit of a rabbit hole that has nothing to do with the main game and I am afraid I won’t remember what was going on in the mojave when I get done.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Zavian wrote: »
    I want to get excited for this but its really just looking to be glorified daily ops missions.

Which is a shame since I love The Pitt.

Dr. Chaos on
    Haha, was finishing up loose ends on my new vegas run and did the rangers/Hanlon quest, was surprised to notice there was a special dialogue and quest ending for if you have already killed Caesar.

Also historians in the future of the fallout universe are going to have a lot of trouble explaining what happened to Caesars legion in my game.
    “So around this time there was a massive rising power in the Southwest desert, Caesar’s Legion, ranging from Nevada south the the Mexican border, north into Utah and east into Colorado. This massive state of religious fanatics and slavers seemed to be the rising power until one of their Frumentari, while razing a town, was happened upon by a random wandering Courier who witnessed the Legion’s brutality and was told about the cruelty of the Legion slave trade by a companion shortly after. Somehow this courier killed the Frumentarii, wiped out the legion presence singlehandedly west of the Colorado River, invaded the Legion’s main fort east of the Colorado, killed every soldier in the camp including Caesar, defeated a last ditch attack on Hoover dam by killing the Legion’s second in command, fired a nuclear missile at the Legion’s secondary base on the Colorado, then personally went into the radiation cloud to kill any survivors. “

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Haha, was finishing up loose ends on my new vegas run and did the rangers/Hanlon quest, was surprised to notice there was a special dialogue and quest ending for if you have already killed Caesar.

Also historians in the future of the fallout universe are going to have a lot of trouble explaining what happened to Caesars legion in my game.
    “So around this time there was a massive rising power in the Southwest desert, Caesar’s Legion, ranging from Nevada south the the Mexican border, north into Utah and east into Colorado. This massive state of religious fanatics and slavers seemed to be the rising power until one of their Frumentari, while razing a town, was happened upon by a random wandering Courier who witnessed the Legion’s brutality and was told about the cruelty of the Legion slave trade by a companion shortly after. Somehow this courier killed the Frumentarii, wiped out the legion presence singlehandedly west of the Colorado River, invaded the Legion’s main fort east of the Colorado, killed every soldier in the camp including Caesar, defeated a last ditch attack on Hoover dam by killing the Legion’s second in command, fired a nuclear missile at the Legion’s secondary base on the Colorado, then personally went into the radiation cloud to kill any survivors. “

I expect future historians would treat the Vault Dwellers, Chosen One, Last Survivor and Courier as myths representing groups rather than people, no matter the evidence otherwise. Because, holy shit :D

edited September 2022
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I expect future historians would treat the Vault Dwellers, Chosen One, Last Survivor and Courier as myths representing groups rather than people, no matter the evidence otherwise. Because, holy shit :D

I remember someone at Bethesda when asked what was canon in the Elder Scrolls games basically saying this - aside from things where you have to make a big choice like the civil war or vampires vs dawnguard, which is really only a thing in Skyrim in those games , everything is canon, but may not have been the same guy. So the guy who was the dragonborn and did the main storylines of Skyrim and Dragonborn may not have been the same guy as the master dark brotherhood assassin who kills an important story character who also may not have been the same guy that led the empire or stormcloaks to victory in the civil war etc…

Jealous Deva on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Interplay or Bethesda, the player character(s) do be like that.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Also Elder Scrolls have the Dragonbreaks, which add a whole extra layer of what the fuckery.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I finally did the thing I've always wanted to attempt... taking the manly* North East way from Goodsprings to New Vegas. Took me five to seven minutes tops.

*Manly means I cowardly snuck by the quarry, then got my leg chewed off by the bear trap at black mountain

I honestly have started taking light step ASAP (14 I think). Its not optimal as far as a build goes but it’s so great never to have to worry about mines or bear traps again.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Yes, I just take light step for peace of mind.

Finally working on dlcs. Honest hearts, while beautiful…. Didn’t age well in the cultural department. Lots of ‘noble savage’ and white saviour cliches that don’t age well.

Old World Blues on the other hand is wonderful. So much humour combined with an incredibly dark background made for a really fun expansion that rewarded me for exploring and for going energy weapons.

Now off to dead money…

edited September 2022
    I enjoyed dead money and lonesome road more than I remembered but again light step takes out a lot of the cheap frustrating parts of both.

I actually felt like Honest Hearts was deconstructing the white savior thing a bit, but yeah. Daniel was pretty clearly an idiot and Joshua Graham was just treating the tribal people like he would anyone else and Joshua’s way turns out much better in the end.

Also the survivalist found notes/environmental side story is great, and the similar side story with Christine and Elijah in OWB that leads into dead money is also great.

Jealous Deva on
    edited September 2022
    The survivalist story is, IMO, the best part of that DLC, and I can get the text (if not the full context/experience) on the wiki, so...

Commander Zoom on
    Yeah that and that the survivalist rifle and desert combat armor are pretty bad ass and will serve you through the rest of the game if you want (though there are plenty of other options for high end weapons and armor in New vegas) . Zion is also very pretty but that isn’t as much of an advantage in 2022 as it was 12 years ago.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I've always just liked the frame story in new vegas that you take a bullet to the head, so the courier can have history before the game but act in complete indifference to it because you got shot in the motherfucking head.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    I've always just liked the frame story in new vegas that you take a bullet to the head, so the courier can have history before the game but act in complete indifference to it because you got shot in the motherfucking head.
    That backstory also gave us the most badass dialog choice in Fallout history:

https://youtu.be/W7-Xri6z01g

Hmm apparently I haven’t had enough New Vegas, installing tale of two wastelands now.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    For anyone playing FO76: is it still possible to work your way through the BOS questline? I'm not sure how the narrative beats in the game work in terms of permanently changing the world state, if that is even a thing.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    edited September 2022
    ED! wrote: »
    For anyone playing FO76: is it still possible to work your way through the BOS questline? I'm not sure how the narrative beats in the game work in terms of permanently changing the world state, if that is even a thing.
    Whenever they add new questlines, they stay in the game.

The stuff that gets cycled in and out are sort of like just seasonal or time limited events that work kind of like FATES from Final Fantasy XIV if you get that comparison. Stuff like Meat Week, the aliens stuff, etc.

Dr. Chaos on
    edited September 2022
    Damn Tale of Two Wastelands is awesome you can tell these guys spent a lot of time on fitting everything together and making it work and the Fallout 3 environments and weapons look great in the New vegas engine.

The only amateurish thing I’ve run into so far is just Bethesda’s writing because Fallout 3.

Jealous Deva on
    Damn Tale of Two Wastelands is awesome you can tell these guys spent a lot of time on fitting everything together and making it work and the Fallout 3 environments and weapons look great in the New vegas engine.

The only amateurish thing I’ve run into so far is just Bethesda’s writing because Fallout 3.
    I could never play Fallout 3 again without TTW. Its just that good.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Is there an 'easy' installer manager like wabbajack for TTW?

edited September 2022
    https://thebestoftimes.github.io/intro.html

Not a one click guide. But everything is straightforward.

You can do more but really honestly all you need is just assorted mods for convenience features:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/66666

Edit: I should also probably mention if you do want to get knee deep in mods here’s a guide https://wastelandsurvivalguide.com. .

This is NOT somthing like Viva New vegas where you just install everything on the list though. Right now the only things I have are things from the interface tab, JAM and the DLC delayers, and the stuff from the lighting and visuals tab.

The ovehauls tab I would especially avoid unless you are sure what you are doing.

Jealous Deva on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Been binging FO76 a bit (after restarting FONV/4 on better hardware) and boy was there ever a game that should have come out in EARLY ACCESS. If 1.0 of this game was The Wasteland Update (or whatever the return to Appalachia was) I think the story about this game would have been a lot different.

The GAAS features of the game are a bit off-putting, but having now reached the end game (or rather still being on the main quest despite gaining 40 levels in one weekend) and seen how little non end-game loot in this game means, the space limitations really only come down to trying to figure out what you want your end-game build to be. I've settled on a Handmade, LMG, Flamer and AoE Shotgun as my weapons (might swap something for a Cryolator once I find a good one).

Also, learned about the "pickup reset" and so now with a solid means of getting ammo (albeit having to work for it) there's no need for me to keep a gun handy incase I run out of ammo. Got 6K 5.56 and 3K .3078 after a few hours of grinding Sunday night before bed and now I'm ready to jump back into the actual narrative. My only complaint is wasting atoms on the Ammo Convertor (the plans for which I could not find at all) and not cosmetics, thinking there was no other way to reliably get ammo. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth before reading about the resource grind trick.

The expeditions and what this means for content long term is also really good. It took me a few runs to realize that they are indeed structured dungeons with randomized quests. I like that; and with this being outside the main map, the sky is honestly the limit on what they can develop for this.

. . .honestly though, if we were here one or two years outside of a full launch and not four years, boy howdy.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    edited September 2022
    Tale of two wastelands/Fallout 3 thoughts:

1. I seem to have a bit more of an issue with NPCs walking against wall/getting stuck/general navmesh shit/animation bugs than New Vegas. May just be the jank of Fallout 3 shining through a bit. No crashes or major bugs or anything though, very stable so far.
    2. Fallout 3 is beautiful. The weapons and armor designs are fantastic and the world is just desolate in a way that none of the other 3d fallouts really are. New vegas is a desert. Fallout 76 is a mutated forest. Fallout 4 is just fallout 76 between autumn and winter. Fallout 3 is a freaking wasteland.
    3. The writing is just atrociously bad and never ceases to amaze me. Its not just mediocre video game writing its so bad its horrible. I don’t know what the hell Bethesda was smoking because they usually do decent work and at worst slip to mediocre, but base game fallout 3 is like 16 year old Modder bad.

Jealous Deva on
    edited September 2022
    "Fallout 3 is beautiful."

with or without the green filter? :p

Commander Zoom on
    Well tale of two wastelands doesn’t have a green filter. I’m using Desert Natural weathers so if anything its more overcast and dusty, which I think looks a lot better.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

This is what ENB is for.

Eh crap I made a character with 5 strength in TTW and forgot that lots of common shit like Chinese Assault Rifles, Combat shotties, and 12.7 mm SMGs need 6 strength.

Guess I’ll need to burn a perk on weapon handling here soon.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Eh crap I made a character with 5 strength in TTW and forgot that lots of common shit like Chinese Assault Rifles, Combat shotties, and 12.7 mm SMGs need 6 strength.

Guess I’ll need to burn a perk on weapon handling here soon.

Strength bobblehead is in Megaton

edited September 2022
    TTW actually changes bobbleheads to a more fallout 4 style because with new vegas content being available and Fallout 3 perks/perks every level in non-hardcore its a bit too easy to just get ridiculously high stats.

The strength bobblehead just gives you a bonus to carry weight. Which is nice in hardcore but doesn’t really help me much.

As a side note the speech bobblehead lets you use any companion regardless of alignment and it’s great.

I’m a bit amazed how much fallout 3 absolutely does not breadcrumb anything for you though.

Jealous Deva on
    edited September 2022

With.

Thankfully there are ways to mod it back in with NV and 4.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I literally cannot play FO3 for more than about an hour without getting a splitting headache because that green filter is so bad that it is straight-up visually fucky and I get terrible eye strain.

Also, ugly as sin. Desaturates and leaves everything a terrible color, it's like seeing the world through some kind shitty nightvision lens.

edited September 2022
    New Vegas and 4 just look too...plain/normal without it.

It just feels like they're missing that proper radioactive grime without the green filter.

Dr. Chaos on
    edited September 2022
    The thing to understand about all of the western Fallouts, old and new, is that much of the region was a hostile and barely-habitable wasteland before the bombs fell. The War just added mutants to the mix.

(And most of the new ones have the problem that for the feel they want, they really should be set much earlier in the timeline, not hundreds of years after.)

Commander Zoom on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    The thing to understand about all of the western Fallouts, old and new, is that much of the region was a hostile and barely-habitable wasteland before the bombs fell. The War just added mutants to the mix.

(And most of the new ones have the problem that for the feel they want, they really should be set much earlier in the timeline, not hundreds of years after.)

yup, a lot of nerdy people have pointed this out:
    https://youtu.be/M8U4k2Ik6yk