As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Do you mean what community day moves are good? I can't find a full analysis but here's a list. Yep, the two you listed are great. Off the top of my head the other good ones are Draco Meteor for Dragonite, Frenzy Plant for plant starters, Smack Down for a Tyranitar running Rock, Hydro Cannon for water starters (especially great for Swampert in Go League), Blast Burn for fire starters, and Brutal Swing for Hydregion.

There's a bunch of CD moves (arguably the majority of them) that are suboptimal, including Gary's Aqua Tail. Might be a few that could be decent second charged moves for PvPers. When in doubt, look up a Pokemon on Gamepress - they do a great job of ranking just how useful each move is for each Pokemon, as well as how that Pokemon stacks up in PvE and PvP.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Do you mean what community day moves are good? I can't find a full analysis but here's a list. Yep, the two you listed are great. Off the top of my head the other good ones are Draco Meteor for Dragonite, Frenzy Plant for plant starters, Smack Down for a Tyranitar running Rock, Hydro Cannon for water starters (especially great for Swampert in Go League), Blast Burn for fire starters, and Brutal Swing for Hydregion.

There's a bunch of CD moves (arguably the majority of them) that are suboptimal, including Gary's Aqua Tail. Might be a few that could be decent second charged moves for PvPers. When in doubt, look up a Pokemon on Gamepress - they do a great job of ranking just how useful each move is for each Pokemon, as well as how that Pokemon stacks up in PvE and PvP.

Yeah, I was mostly curious if those other moves were considered good or not. I don't think I even knew Shadow Punch Gengar existed (but I know Lick is a good fast move on him).

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Yeah, I was mostly curious if those other moves were considered good or not. I don't think I even knew Shadow Punch Gengar existed (but I know Lick is a good fast move on him).

Oh! I didn't even know the new event was announced. Yes, of the moves that are featured the only good ones are Rock Wrecker and Meteor Mash. Though don't forget Elite TMs are able to grant Pokemon Community Day moves they couldn't learn otherwise.

And if the challengers at Pokestops thing is like the previous challengers during Go Fests they'll be like Rocket Grunts with friendlier dialog.

• Options

Oh! I didn't even know the new event was announced. Yes, of the moves that are featured the only good ones are Rock Wrecker and Meteor Mash. Though don't forget Elite TMs are able to grant Pokemon Community Day moves they couldn't learn otherwise.

And if the challengers at Pokestops thing is like the previous challengers during Go Fests they'll be like Rocket Grunts with friendlier dialog.

Haha yeah, I didn't see the free elite TMs at first but that's extremely nice. I don't know that I've ever seen them give those out for free, but maybe they did it sometime while I wasn't playing.

And ok, cool, I'll have to focus on those two then. Do wish during events like this they'd allow you to use regular TMs to get the special moves on your already evolved pokemon :/ Would have been nice to get Rock Wrecker on my current Rhyperior. But maybe I can snag a better one via research.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Aw yis, now I have a net to steal Pokemon with

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Just like the four year olds you best up at the beginning of all the main series games. Finally took one of their nets instead of just their lunch money.

Hevach on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So what does this digital Pokemon Go Fest 2022 Ticket get me?

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Is this your first time? You'll get exclusive pokemon attracted to incense including seven Unown forms and regional Pokemon (in this case Torkoal and Tropius), increased shiny chances, nine bonus raid passes, halved hatch distance, 3x XP for Pokestop spins, the ability to change Shaymin forms, and four sets of exclusive research that'll likely grant all kinds of good stuff. Wouldn't be shocked if they all grant one of each Ultra Beast for free - that's how it worked earlier this summer with Nihelego.

If you don't buy the ticket you'll still get the Pokemon that pop up in each habitat (this time they'll rotate every two hours) and access to the Ultra Beast raids (which will also rotate every two hours).

So, you'll still get some interesting things if you're playing free. Though I'd argue the paid ticket is usually worth it - on top of all the bonuses doing the research is pretty fun.

• Options
    Oh that sounds fun. Maybe I'll get it for my kids too. Make a day of it.

• Options

Here's a full list:
    https://www.leekduck.com/events/pokemon-go-fest-2022-bonus-finale-event/

Side note, I think I got like 37 shiny galarian zigzagoons on Saturday. It was pretty great. My poor brother who apparently has the worst community day luck only found one. (he's gotta be doing something wrong)

• Options

Here's a full list:

Side note, I think I got like 37 shiny galarian zigzagoons on Saturday. It was pretty great. My poor brother who apparently has the worst community day luck only found one. (he's gotta be doing something wrong)

Nah, he just got hit with bad RNG. I was pretty active during Starly community day and only got one shiny. Meanwhile yesterday I got two shinies in a row (Pineco and Foongus). RNG, man.

• Options

Here's a full list:

Nah, he just got hit with bad RNG. I was pretty active during Starly community day and only got one shiny. Meanwhile yesterday I got two shinies in a row (Pineco and Foongus). RNG, man.

Possibly, but I feel like there's some skill involved in shiny checking too :P I personally click everything in the area, if not shiny, backspace on phone and click something else, until all the pokemon are facing me :3 Can check a big group without the slowdown of catching everything

• Options
    My daughter and I only got 1 shiny Zigzagoon and my son didn't get any. He was miffed.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I got a bunch of shiny Zigzagoons, but I was mostly in it for the gloves and pose. It goes well with my general hooligan aesthetic in the game.

• Options
    So, did you see the news and think "we're getting timed research during the Pokemon Go championships, got it?" Hooo boy. So the only way to get this timed research is with a code which will be shown on the PoGo Twitch channel. "Huh, weird, guess I'll just pick it up on Leek Duck or something." Maybe not; each code will only be good for one hour before expiring and being replaced by a new one. Oh, and the championships start up at 7 am-ish UK time, which is the middle of the night for the United States.

Yeah, not great. Here's hoping the codes stay up all the time and don't just randomly pop up and go away constantly.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    So, did you see the news and think "we're getting timed research during the Pokemon Go championships, got it?" Hooo boy. So the only way to get this timed research is with a code which will be shown on the PoGo Twitch channel. "Huh, weird, guess I'll just pick it up on Leek Duck or something." Maybe not; each code will only be good for one hour before expiring and being replaced by a new one. Oh, and the championships start up at 7 am-ish UK time, which is the middle of the night for the United States.

Yeah, not great. Here's hoping the codes stay up all the time and don't just randomly pop up and go away constantly.

Oh really? Yuck. I saw that but I was thinking the same thing - someone would post it. Cuz yeah, I have no interest in the damn World Championships, but timed research is always cool (wonder what the prize is? Probably one of those costume pikachus I bet)

I guess if I miss the code at the times posted (and they are jerks and don't keep it up), someone *will* post it, I just need to be quick about using it. (edit: Oh gross, I thought they gave out exact times the codes would be shared but they don't, they just list the start of the streams...)

Edit: https://www.leekduck.com/events/world-championship-twitch-timed-research-2022/

Based on that banner at the top, maybe those are the rewards? I would sure like a Jellicent. (edit 2: Oh I'm dumb, you get the entire team, one out of those three.. yeah I'm picking Jellicent team :3 That's actually a pretty decent reward)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    discrider on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    R3YJVKBDH5RUH

is the new one for this hour. Seems like they give out a new one every full hour. You can only redeem one.

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Yeah, I woke up, checked the twitch stream, didn't see a code. Went to silph road, found both codes (because of course they did two different codes for research and t-shirt) immediately. That was pretty easy :3

I just peeked in the game real quick to make sure both redeemed ok and at least step 1 of the special research is stupid easy. It's like catch a couple pokemon for 3 stardust boosty thingies which.. nice. If step 2 could give some lucky eggs I wouldn't say no........ (but seriously, they aren't in that super incubator bundle, gimme :3)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    So question: If I get a pokemon encounter via a research and run out of balls... What happens? Can I try again when I get some more or am I SOL?

• Options
    T-shirt code is WRGUZRVKRR2M3 if you don't want to dig for it. It doesn't expire instantly.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    So question: If I get a pokemon encounter via a research and run out of balls... What happens? Can I try again when I get some more or am I SOL?

Yeah, if you flee it will just be sitting there to redeem later. You basically can't "lose" a reward pokemon. It's essentially the same as clicking "Redeem later" when a reward encounter pops up (or whatever the specific text is)

Edit: Just realized Leekduck is posting the current code on their page. Might be easier to find there:
    https://www.leekduck.com/events/world-championship-twitch-timed-research-2022/

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular

If it's a field research task, then you can choose to not catch it and it'll just sit there until you choose to open it again. You'll see the orange "claim reward" box above all your active tasks, and it'll stay forever. You can even have more stored behind it - I usually have loads that I keep for a lucky egg evolve/catch spree.

You can also delay catching rewards from special research or timed research, but for Timed research you're obviously on a deadline. And if the reward is for completing a "stage" of the research, then you won't be able to progress to the next stage research until you catch the reward (I think, could be wrong about that).

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Oh, also a head's up. I noticed some people on silph road talking that apparently all rockets are currently nerfed for the event. I guess because the challengers actually have, you know, hard teams, they nerf them to be "more fun" and it's some global switch that affects rockets too, including leaders and Giovanni. Might be a good time for anyone struggling with that stuff (honestly I might try on my alt who has kinda crap team options.. I've been sitting on a rocket radar for awhile worried I don't have a team to actually win)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular

Yeah, if you flee it will just be sitting there to redeem later. You basically can't "lose" a reward pokemon. It's essentially the same as clicking "Redeem later" when a reward encounter pops up (or whatever the specific text is)

Just a note on this: You can't stack more than 100 pokemon this way. It will start throwing away the oldest ones and it doesn't tell you your stack size anywhere.

• Options
    Thanks all! My son has zero Pokeballs right now and I was going to surprise him with this event stuff but I didn't want to add to his frustration.

• Options
    Thanks all! My son has zero Pokeballs right now and I was going to surprise him with this event stuff but I didn't want to add to his frustration.

BTW, don't forget Adventure Incense will give you 30 free pokeballs if you are below 30 total.

• Options
    Oh, also a head's up. I noticed some people on silph road talking that apparently all rockets are currently nerfed for the event. I guess because the challengers actually have, you know, hard teams, they nerf them to be "more fun" and it's some global switch that affects rockets too, including leaders and Giovanni. Might be a good time for anyone struggling with that stuff (honestly I might try on my alt who has kinda crap team options.. I've been sitting on a rocket radar for awhile worried I don't have a team to actually win)

Yeah, the "novice" challenger I fought managed to have a 3,300-ish Galarian Stunfisk, so be prepared for a fight. The good news is they grant healing items (and pokeballs) when defeated.

The Dark-type Rocket Grunt I fought usually can get my level 40 Conkledurr to near death but barely bruised him this time.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Fought a Zacian raid, got 15 balls. 14 excellent curve balls in a row with golden razz berries on them all, ball never even wiggled. I set the phone down to breathe a second and before I can react my 6 year old picks it up, does a straight throw, no berry and no accuracy message, and catches the damn thing.

I'm taking him for a happy meal now.

Edit: "I don't know why you were so mad that was SOOOOOO easy. You're probably just bad at the game."

Hevach on
  • Options
    Any idea what a "Charged TM" is? I've been in several battles and used the charged ability but I still haven't completed a research.

• Options
    edited August 2022

Yeah, the "novice" challenger I fought managed to have a 3,300-ish Galarian Stunfisk, so be prepared for a fight. The good news is they grant healing items (and pokeballs) when defeated.

The Dark-type Rocket Grunt I fought usually can get my level 40 Conkledurr to near death but barely bruised him this time.

Dusted off an unused super radar and can confirm the rocket nerf extends all the way to Giovanni, but also seems to extend to the Pokemon he leaves behind, because the Latios he left me is under 800 power and that sounds low? Then again I never got this far so maybe not.

In related news my wife is mad at me because her only legendary is Meloetta and I've been cleaning up the last couple weeks.
    Any idea what a "Charged TM" is? I've been in several battles and used the charged ability but I still haven't completed a research.

Its an item that rerolls the charged power of a Pokemon. You get them from raids and some research. I think the battle league, too, but I don't do that much.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

It's an item, not sure where I got these? Think the battle leagues
    wevcdqnma5q1.png

• Options
    Thanks! I've been hoarding those.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    Fought a Zacian raid, got 15 balls. 14 excellent curve balls in a row with golden razz berries on them all, ball never even wiggled. I set the phone down to breathe a second and before I can react my 6 year old picks it up, does a straight throw, no berry and no accuracy message, and catches the damn thing.

I'm taking him for a happy meal now.

Edit: "I don't know why you were so mad that was SOOOOOO easy. You're probably just bad at the game."

I should have taken your advice and had my son throw mine for this 5 star wolf raid. I was sitting in his taekwondo class and saw 5 people queued up for the raid so I hopped in.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    For anyone wanting to cheese the battle weekly thing. It just says "battle" it doesn't say win. So if you iniate the fight, and then leave it considers it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    How exactly do you fight challengers? I've tried the battle league and even a few rocket dudes and nothing seems to count and I don't see any other options to fight things?

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Hevach wrote: »
    How exactly do you fight challengers? I've tried the battle league and even a few rocket dudes and nothing seems to count and I don't see any other options to fight things?

They appear at pokestops like rocket grunts. You'll know when you see them since they just look like player avatars in various avatar clothing

Side note, did they accidentally bump up the shiny rates or something cuz I've now caught three today with barely any hunting... Two of which were Galarian Stunfisk

Also a little bummed all the special move mons are behind a single power up 7 task. That's an annoying amount of stardust to spend for like a 1/5 chance to get the one I want :/ (I would really like a good Rhyhorn while this is going on.. All of mine suck or are already Rhyperiors)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    I have a couple random shitty caterpies or zigzagoons or something for when a task makes me power up Pokemon, so it only costs a few hundred.

• Options
    You can find the challengers on the map too.
    Rocket grunts turn the Pokestop cube black, stop it rotating normally and rattle it from a distance.
    Challengers just stop it rotating normally and rattle it from a distance, whilst leaving it the normal blue.