As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Borderlands] Wonderlands! I Pull Out My Robe and Wizard Gat.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Or don't even bother. You've probably spent the same or more amount of time looking for the entrance to the DLC as you will once you get in. Even though you paid for it it may just make things worse once you see what you got...

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Finished the story yesterday, ran Spellshot/Graveborn and only ever had the dual spell ability slotted. Got a Reign of Arrows shotgun at around level 23 and that was a mainstay until my late mid 30s and even then it was shredding guys.. just lacked the range.

After the story I tried some Chaos gate.. and eehhhh meh.

So uninstalled it. Had fun got my money's worth.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am really enjoying this game with my wife still. The humor is on point, but I feel there is a bias there because it's always going to appeal to me after running tabletop games for over 20 years.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    The game itself is pretty entertaining. Was a bit buggy to start with, but they've fixed most of that it seems. Hopefully the DLC improves vastly.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Has anyone successfully played cross platform?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully played cross platform?

I play on PC with an Xbox friend. For a while we were getting one minor disconnection a night, but it's smooth now. Pc connecting to Xbox has worked better for us.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I beat the campaign about a week ago and also completed 100% of all side quests. I did a few Chaos Modes just to get an idea of what they're like. But I guess without a reason to grind gear, I don't see much point in endlessly farming them. You endlessly farm them so that you can continue to endlessly farm them. Maybe if there was an uber boss that you needed to grind for, that would be a different story. But without a reason to continually grind, I think I'm done.

On that note, the fact that Lucky Dice and also Myth Rank are neither one account bound pretty much makes me never want to roll an alt. And I've read similar sentiments online from a lot of other people. They really cut the legs off this game by making it so unfriendly to alts.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The loot is good and chums is pathetically easy to farm.
    Its very clear this was one dlc split into 5
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I beat the campaign about a week ago and also completed 100% of all side quests. I did a few Chaos Modes just to get an idea of what they're like. But I guess without a reason to grind gear, I don't see much point in endlessly farming them. You endlessly farm them so that you can continue to endlessly farm them. Maybe if there was an uber boss that you needed to grind for, that would be a different story. But without a reason to continually grind, I think I'm done.

On that note, the fact that Lucky Dice and also Myth Rank are neither one account bound pretty much makes me never want to roll an alt. And I've read similar sentiments online from a lot of other people. They really cut the legs off this game by making it so unfriendly to alts.

They are though. Myth rank unlocks at 40 and lucky dice were fixed in a patch

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Not even sure if this is the first time, but Borderlands 3 is currently free on Epic.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    The loot is good and chums is pathetically easy to farm.
    Its very clear this was one dlc split into 5
    Lucascraft wrote: »

They are though. Myth rank unlocks at 40 and lucky dice were fixed in a patch

Wait really? That’s good news.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Not even sure if this is the first time, but Borderlands 3 is currently free on Epic.

And TT Wonderlands is 20% off.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    edited June 2022
    I am extremely glad I did not pay for the season pass. Second DLC was immensely underwhelming too.

Aegeri on
    At least the boss actually changes this time

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So Tiny Tina's Wonderland is out on Steam now. Is it supposed to be crossplay with PS5? I'd really like to not have to buy it again to play with friends.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Apparently, thanks to an Amazon leak, we're getting a new Tales from the Borderlands, titled... New Tales from the Borderlands. It's coming out October 21?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    For some reason I was thinking we already knew about a new Tales game. I thought they announced it. As in a legit announcement, not a leak.

Or maybe I'm just imagining things...

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    They announced that they were making a new Tales from the Borderlands, but didn't say anything about it.

This is the first time we've heard anything "concrete" about it.

Here's hoping the writing's better than Borderland 3 was. I'm still annoyed they changed Rhys from a quirky yet nuanced character in Tales to Wacky McJokeMachine in 2-3.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Here's hoping the writing's better than Borderland 3 was. I'm still annoyed they changed Rhys from a quirky yet nuanced character in Tales to Wacky McJokeMachine in 2-3.
    Siege. Mustache.

sig.gif
    Has anyone tried the new class yet? Any good? I've got the season pass, so I have the capability of trying it. But Wonderlands is long uninstalled from my PS5, and given the reception to the first couple DLC packs I haven't felt much desire to reinstall.

I was honestly so fired up for Wonderlands at the start. I wanted to try all the classes and really dive deep into this game. But their lack of effort on the DLC, and also how alt-unfriendly this game was at launch really turned me off to it. My understanding is that they have fixed some of the alt-unfriendliness with patches and things. But the damage is already done and the game is already uninstalled from my PS5 after just a single playthrough with one character.

Reviews for the New Tales from the Borderlands are hitting.

Looks like it plays exactly like the old Tales... I mean exactly. No evolution. At least people seem to be saying the writing's pretty good, though some say it becomes a complete mess in the last chapter.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I started playing Borderlands 3 a couple of weeks ago. I picked up the game for Xbox One last year for $10 and put it down again due to the frustrating load times coupled with the occasional crash. Now that I have a Series X I started it up in earnest and am several years late to the party, I'm sure.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Reviews for the New Tales from the Borderlands are hitting.

Looks like it plays exactly like the old Tales... I mean exactly. No evolution. At least people seem to be saying the writing's pretty good, though some say it becomes a complete mess in the last chapter.

So it's like 3

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is Tiny Tina crossplay between xbox and playstation?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Yes

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Wonderlands writing is so good. It has absolutely got me back on board with this franchise again.

Too bad the DLC is crap. Hopefully the next game can pull off the entire thing.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Y'know, I feel like leveling up would feel better in these games if they like, cut the number of levels by two thirds, made each level give you three skill points, and cut the rate at which you gain levels by two thirds. I just do not like going into the skill menu to assign one more points into the skill that I've already know I was going to put the point into for the last four levels. Even though it wouldn't really change anything about the actual progression, I think it'd be nice to be choosing a new skill most level ups instead of it usually being a non-decision you made hours ago.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Oh huh, hit max level in Wonderlands already. Is there anything like overpower levels in this game? I mean there's the myth levels obviously, but like gear wise should I start looking for the rolls I'll be using forever now or is there gonna be more number go up before I reach that point?

cB557 wrote: »
    Oh huh, hit max level in Wonderlands already. Is there anything like overpower levels in this game? I mean there's the myth levels obviously, but like gear wise should I start looking for the rolls I'll be using forever now or is there gonna be more number go up before I reach that point?

Chaos levels basically and they aren't that fun after a while

So, I fired up New Tales from the Borderlands. ...I think I'm the only one on this forum who fired up New Tales from the Borderlands? The game apparently sold terribly.

Anyway, holy shit. I did the first episode, and whoof, not great. I'm fairly/very annoyed by all three main characters, and the story ain't great so far. New Rhys is way more of an evil cartoon than you'd expect from the previous Borderlands stuff. And there's apparently at least two new Claptraps? The production values are of a game that was made on the cheap (not worth the full price Gearbox expected from this) and the direction is crap. Just... crap. I know they keep insisting people from the previous Tales from the Borderlands worked on this, but I think it was mostly the Gearbox gatekeepers, not the Telltale folks. Because, as of the end of the first episode - woof. I mean, I'm impressed they did another narrative game on this, but holy shit, did they biff it. Or do other episodes get better?

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    So, I fired up New Tales from the Borderlands. ...I think I'm the only one on this forum who fired up New Tales from the Borderlands? The game apparently sold terribly.

Anyway, holy shit. I did the first episode, and whoof, not great. I'm fairly/very annoyed by all three main characters, and the story ain't great so far. New Rhys is way more of an evil cartoon than you'd expect from the previous Borderlands stuff. And there's apparently at least two new Claptraps? The production values are of a game that was made on the cheap (not worth the full price Gearbox expected from this) and the direction is crap. Just... crap. I know they keep insisting people from the previous Tales from the Borderlands worked on this, but I think it was mostly the Gearbox gatekeepers, not the Telltale folks. Because, as of the end of the first episode - woof. I mean, I'm impressed they did another narrative game on this, but holy shit, did they biff it. Or do other episodes get better?

The promotion they did for the game was basically just showing it off honestly, which drove off the majority of the people who might have been interested. Definitely shows the risks of how you can go for the same idea as a well loved narrative game and COMPLETELY whiff it if your writing isn't dialed in. The core Borderlands series gets away with murder because shooting the guns can be fun even if the writing is taking a dive (which it extremely frequently is).

edited January 2023
    Speaking of gun shooting fun...

https://youtu.be/AQj-22d1RxU

Sorce on
    sig.gif

The promotion they did for the game was basically just showing it off honestly, which drove off the majority of the people who might have been interested. Definitely shows the risks of how you can go for the same idea as a well loved narrative game and COMPLETELY whiff it if your writing isn't dialed in. The core Borderlands series gets away with murder because shooting the guns can be fun even if the writing is taking a dive (which it extremely frequently is).

My fault for not watching the preview videos, then. Still, my expectations weren't very high - I was expecting something kind of okayish. It didn't even live up to that. Ah well, at least I got it for cheap.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I played New Tales and tried to enjoy it, but it's not good.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I didn't even realize it had dropped.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    Bailed on New Tales and fired up Wonderlands for the first time. The writing is 1,000% better... but how? Why did this game manage to get the narrative skill but the actual narrative game didn't? Granted Wonderlands isn't trying for complex characters or plot, but New Tales didn't even get the funny bits right for most of the first episode.

Anyway, Wonderlands is great stuff, glad it sold well, etc.

Yeah Wonderlands has a consistently great sense of humor, helped greatly by the more diverse theme and the clear love of DnD whoever wrote it had.

Aegeri wrote: »
    Yeah Wonderlands has a consistently great sense of humor, helped greatly by the more diverse theme and the clear love of DnD whoever wrote it had.

Pity about the dlc and endgame though