As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Most of my favorite SNES games didn't even make very good use of all 6 buttons. Some of the GBA's "weird" control schemes actually ended up feeling better to me. I liked Mega Man Zero's trigger dashing so much that I bind dash to the L-trigger for the MMX games on SNES.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I always hate it when I get far in a game, stop playing, and come back years later. I forget where I was at. Did that with Minish Cap, Shadow of the Collosus, and Skyward Sword.
    They need to make saves transferable between different consoles.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The thing with Shadow of the Collosus was that I was on the final boss. I will have to get back in the groove again to tackle that. I do have the remake I could start over on.

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The thing with Shadow of the Collosus was that I was on the final boss. I will have to get back in the groove again to tackle that. I do have the remake I could start over on.

I got all the way to the top of that final boss, was one stab away from taking it out, and the bastard threw me allllll the way to the bottom of the tower. I survived the fall, re-did the climb and beat him, but I about had a heart attack when I fell.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Most of my favorite SNES games didn't even make very good use of all 6 buttons. Some of the GBA's "weird" control schemes actually ended up feeling better to me. I liked Mega Man Zero's trigger dashing so much that I bind dash to the L-trigger for the MMX games on SNES.

I feel the same way about Metroid Zero Mission's controls compared to Super Metroid's (which, admittedly, I played after ZM), where everything seemed to be on different buttons just because they were there, while ZM's feels more streamlined in a good way.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    So today perusing a Goodwill and I found an Xbox 360 S for $30 CAD ('bout $24 USD). No hard drive or controller, but $30 for a working Xbox 360 model that I don't have in my collection? picked it up immediately. When I got it home and plugged it in even found a copy of FF XIII-2 in the drive.

Turns on, seems to work fine, reads discs. Will have to buy a hard drive if I want to actually use it but a quick peruse of Amazon seems to indicate I can buy a 3rd party drive for around $40.

The best part of this is that my Xbox 360, the one I bought way back in the day, was an older model (original style, but with an HDMI port, so not a RROD prone model) doesn't have wifi and wifi adapters for it are notoriously hard to find. Back in the day my 360 was wired, but my current setup there's no wired networking near my TV. The 360 S has wifi, so I'm in business.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I should also say that they had a PS3 Slim with no controller for $40, and a Wii with gamecube compatability for $40 as well. I didn't pick up either of those since a) I have both of those models in my collection already and b) I've spent money on other related and unrelated things in the last week.

Another Wii with gamecube compatability was really tempting, but I think my significant other would have questioned why I needed another Wii that I already have...

Should serve as a good reminder that sometimes thrift stores can have gems, and are worth looking at.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Recently goodwill has gotten more savvy about game cartridges so most of my finds are in the CD areas where PS1 games slip through. But ten years ago I found amazing stuff all the time at Goodwill, including a complete in box SNES and a separate time I found a copy of Earthbound in a pile of sports games, huge sticker over the label but it sold for a pretty penny anyways

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It's amazing how many references and actual game footage Hi Score Girl manages to use. I'm not surprised at the Taito stuff, since Square Enix is behind the show and they own them, but the Capcom/Namco/etc stuff is especially surprising.

wVEsyIc.png
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Goodwill has an auction website now that the majority of locations use to sell the videogame stuff they get in.

Not all, but its much rarer to see that stuff in store anymore

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    This is pretty neat looking. Video is about a prototype, but the final product looks like it will be about $100. Installation is super easy too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfN6VmW-6qk

Jeix on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I started replaying Links Awaking DX today.
    Serendipitously, 13 years ago today I beat Adventure of Link for the first and only time.6vl5bdslad2a.png

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Cross-posting from the Nintendo thread (where I forgot to post it yesterday), since it's suitably retro now:

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited August 2022
    I own that lmao

Specifically I have that issue, The Legend of Zelda cover issue, and Mario Paint cover issue

Local H Jay on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I've got the OG SMB2 claymation cover, the Castlevania 2 cover with the severed head, the original mini strategy guide for Dragon Warrior and the entire run of the Nintendo Fun Club Newsletter, though sadly 3 of those have major water damage from the Missouri River flood of 1993.

3h4fdbvy7bwc.jpg

Just a badass composition.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Whoever made those covers back in the day was really creative, some cool ass stuff

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Power was for me, probably like most, the reason I got into JRPGs, thanks to the free copy of Dragon Warrior.

You'd think that'd be an easy way to get people to subscribe to magazines nowadays, just offer free game codes...

wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2022
    Speaking of beautiful, creative covers back in the day, the artist Oliver Frey died yesterday, at the age of 74. Oli was perhaps best known to British gamers of a certain age as the wizard behind the covers of Crash, Zzap! 64, and other magazines of the '80s era; he also created cover art for many games of the time on platforms such as the Commodore 64, Sinclair ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC (the dominant machines in the UK for most of the '80s), in amongst his other ventures. More recently he continued to create brand new covers for the rebooted Crash annuals. He was a singular talent and a properly nice guy, and will be very sorely missed.

I've pulled a selection of some of my faves from his site at https://www.oliverfreyart.com , where prints are available, for your appreciation:

wud4mn9mkgp2.jpg
    x06kwu80q1bi.jpg

More:
    s2f1xbdbqie7.jpg
    dva8oz727jqc.jpg
    ymevhucttaa1.jpg
    a5oufkwegs3q.jpg
    bkwpi02ysrho.jpg
    4b8l4rb20idn.jpg
    atcuhtl2tuwy.jpg
    n1we4g7dearf.jpg
    aljgj7yp9ffy.jpg
    7gqvdfmcx52l.jpg
    fwzia8n0n2k6.jpg
    16iao7e61ezn.jpg
    86o562qyzfsb.jpg
    xe1ls1gfmy72.jpg

Jazz on
    edited August 2022
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Nintendo Power was for me, probably like most, the reason I got into JRPGs, thanks to the free copy of Dragon Warrior.

You'd think that'd be an easy way to get people to subscribe to magazines nowadays, just offer free game codes...

Last year White Dwarf (the Games Workshop magazine) had an issue which included a code for a massive pile of Warhammer & 40K games on Steam:

4bafbzjlhvum.jpg

Not coincidentally, that was the first issue of WD I picked up since the '90s! It was a single code for the whole bundle, so no gifting out the handful I already owned, but still a bargain.

Jazz on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I started replaying Links Awaking DX today.
    Serendipitously, 13 years ago today I beat Adventure of Link for the first and only time.6vl5bdslad2a.png

Nice. I recently started playing seasons, not a replay though.

Steam: offday
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I've got the OG SMB2 claymation cover, the Castlevania 2 cover with the severed head, the original mini strategy guide for Dragon Warrior and the entire run of the Nintendo Fun Club Newsletter, though sadly 3 of those have major water damage from the Missouri River flood of 1993.

3h4fdbvy7bwc.jpg

Just a badass composition.

I once had every issue. Then someone threw a bunch of them out.

I was able to regain most of those lost, but I believe this one is the only one I'm missing.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Ouch...

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    EuejKik.jpg

#wholesome

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    How old is that note?

Also, as awesome as that is I really wish instead of play the game, she wrote "rip and tear!"

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    edited August 2022
    I mean that has to be a very old picture.

The note is from mom, so it's either a young kid or a teen with very little computer knowledge.

The mom would have to have left DOS Box running. I think you also need to mount the D drive first?

Otherwise, it'd have to be an old pc where the command prompt is either default or left running in Windows.

Some kid who doesn't already know their parent's pc forwards and backwards has got to be an older generation.

Ed: I've also put way way too much energy on this

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
    "Rip and tear" is a new-ish saying, right?

I don't recall the phrase from the before time.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    MMMig wrote: »

It's from a doom comic from 1996

Wow that's neat

And wow that comic is both violent and makes doom guy sound completely unhinged

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    edited August 2022
    MMMig wrote: »

It's from a doom comic from 1996

Wow, I never knew that. The first I remember hearing it was in association with Doom 2016.

1996 still makes it three years younger than Doom though - and the same age as Quake!

(Edit: older is not younger! Oops!)

Jazz on
    I own that very same CD lol, though it's kind of obsolete since it's on the Doom collection I own, probably...

wVEsyIc.png
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Ultimate Doom came out in April of ‘95, so still likely before that comic. However, most wouldn’t learn of it until the internet made it a thing.

Crazy thing at that time were a set of books that were ‘based’ on the games. Came out in June of ‘95 And I believe my dad got them soon after release and I read the first one. Interesting characterization, though it had the Doom marine following after two people, a senior officer and a female marine, that were ahead of him a bit as he went from level to level or the different areas shown in the games.

Biggest thing I recall is what he saw after the first time he went through a portal, after it described what it was doing to his body and then how it put him bah together again, he finally had caught up to the two people he’d been lagging behind for chapters. And they were joined tête-à-tête (first time I ever saw that phrase) and just in a nightmarish embrace.

The book was super descriptive of the gore and really felt like you were seeing the world of the game written out. To a young teen at the time, it was written pretty well, but it would very likely be junk fiction now.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Ultimate Doom came out in April of ‘95, so still likely before that comic. However, most wouldn’t learn of it until the internet made it a thing.

Crazy thing at that time were a set of books that were ‘based’ on the games. Came out in June of ‘95 And I believe my dad got them soon after release and I read the first one. Interesting characterization, though it had the Doom marine following after two people, a senior officer and a female marine, that were ahead of him a bit as he went from level to level or the different areas shown in the games.

Biggest thing I recall is what he saw after the first time he went through a portal, after it described what it was doing to his body and then how it put him bah together again, he finally had caught up to the two people he’d been lagging behind for chapters. And they were joined tête-à-tête (first time I ever saw that phrase) and just in a nightmarish embrace.

The book was super descriptive of the gore and really felt like you were seeing the world of the game written out. To a young teen at the time, it was written pretty well, but it would very likely be junk fiction now.

Those books are kind of low-key infamous now.

I somehow wound up with the fourth book in that series, long after any semblance of ‘guide rails’ had been put away. Doomguy trapped on a planet of atheists, traveling with the female marine and a couple of smart imps they called Sears and Roebuck, he winds up plugged into a computer and basically forced to play DOOM by reliving his memories. But he realizes they’re memories so he chooses to remember it wrong and starts thinking of himself as John the Baptist, converting all the demons to fight on his side. After they escape, they go back to far-future Earth and meet the female marine’s fiancé, who invented (?) and became an AI.

As a kid I was just confused, but as an adult I love how insane that all is.

OneAngryPossum on
    Nitsua wrote: »

Those books are kind of low-key infamous now.

I somehow wound up with the fourth book in that series, long after any semblance of ‘guide rails’ had been put away. Doomguy trapped on a planet of atheists, traveling with the female marine and a couple of smart imps they called Sears and Roebuck, he winds up plugged into a computer and basically forced to play DOOM by reliving his memories. But he realizes they’re memories so he chooses to remember it wrong and starts thinking of himself as John the Baptist, converting all the demons to fight on his side. After they escape, they go back to far-future Earth and meet the female Marine’s fiancé, who invented (?) and became an AI.

As a kid I was just confused, but as an adult I love how insane that all is.

I'm reading the Wiki article now.

Hoo boy, these books go places and then some! You weren't kidding or exaggerating about the insanity!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_(novel_series)

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I am amazed that I have been underselling the outright weirdness of that book for years.

I read the first four(?) when they came out, but fell off after that. The only thing I recall is the male and female leads hiding out on a ship and finding out they suffered some serious time displacement upon their return(possibly Hell on Earth's adaptation).

Incidentally, Eternal sure dropped the ball on making that story interesting.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I read the first four(?) when they came out, but fell off after that. The only thing I recall is the male and female leads hiding out on a ship and finding out they suffered some serious time displacement upon their return(possibly Hell on Earth's adaptation).

Incidentally, Eternal sure dropped the ball on making that story interesting.

The Endgame (book 4) synopsis on the Wiki page mentions a 2 month/200 year spaceflight, so yeah, serious time dilation.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Anybody want to throw out a few Game Gear recommendations? My son just grabbed one with Sonic, I'd like to get him a few for his birthday but frankly most of what I owned back in the day were pretty mediocre (MK1, Chuck Rock). Preferably good "bang for the buck" and not $100+ collector's items. Thanks!

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    The Streets of Rage games (1 & 2) are both good on the GG and only $20 and $24 respectively. Castle of Illusion is good too, and about $14. The NBA Jam games are always Worth a look Ava there are $9 or less.

I’m actually pretty surprised at how reasonable these games are honestly.

This is where I’m seeing the current costs of the games. They are eBay prices, but most follow those for the most part: https://www.pricecharting.com/console/sega-game-gear

Nitsua on