As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Crap, I forgot to mention this here yesterday.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Years after I picked it up I'm almost done with Doom 2016. Initially I had a rough time and set it down, but once the gameplay clicks with you it sure as hell clicks and then you're super shotgunning a Baron of Hell to their face, seige mode gauss blasting a cluster of cyber mancubi, and then taking a chainsaw to the next Baron.

What I'm saying is the game is a ridiculous amount of fun and I'll need to pick up the sequel. I did hear that the sequel requires you to change up your guns some more which annoyed people but seems fine because in Doom 2016 the fully upgraded super shotgun does an obscene amount of damage to anything if you're up close and I find myself defaulting to it most of the time.

I never finished 2016, but I picked up Doom: Eternal while it’s on sale and I’m digging it. Little muddier than 2016 so maybe not quite as surprisingly playable on the Switch, but it’s good enough and I’m liking that it seems to want me to figure out it’s rhythm from the get-go.

I’m guessing this is part of the divide between the two games - I liked 2016 but never felt much need or desire to switch up weapons, which made things feel samey after a while. Eternal already has me trying to work it’s loop which is involving more experimentation so I’m finding it more engaging. We’ll see how long that holds!

I'm at chapter 10 of 14 on 2016, having finally 'clicked' with the game recently. Had it since Switch release. Picked up Eternal and the DLC on sale last year, so I know where to go once I'm done. Glad I'm not the only one enjoying this game so late.

It’s never too late to learn how good Doom is.

Any entry.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

You know, I never looked at this cover *really* closely but that's actually an extremely good likeness of Wily for clay or whatever that is. Like, in the days when stuff like bad boxart Mega Man were pretty common, that's actually kind of impressive.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i've started into xeno chron 3. i've tried the previous 2 and just never got very far. i have a feeling i'm going to do better this time. The systems seem to be a little clearer/easier to get into (except for a few nitpicks). However, i have one GIANT nitpick. There are a ton of "tips" and at the beginning of the game it feels like every 10 steps you are getting more. There's no button to just "mark all as read" and the list keeps getting longer and longer and finding tips that might be relevant keeps getting harder and harder to look through.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i've started into xeno chron 3. i've tried the previous 2 and just never got very far. i have a feeling i'm going to do better this time. The systems seem to be a little clearer/easier to get into (except for a few nitpicks). However, i have one GIANT nitpick. There are a ton of "tips" and at the beginning of the game it feels like every 10 steps you are getting more. There's no button to just "mark all as read" and the list keeps getting longer and longer and finding tips that might be relevant keeps getting harder and harder to look through.

I also wanted to keep that "!" clear. I started just scrolling through the whole list every time. I eventually gave up and attempted to quiet the screaming voice in my head.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

It takes a while but eventually they stop being so much.

But there really really should be a mark all as read button and i absolutely scrolled through to mark them everytime. One helpful tip there is you can scroll a page at a time by pressing right or left instead of up and down.

It helps at least a little..

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hello fellow kids... Anyway anyone have experience with a switch dock going out? I'm trying to decide if its the tv or the dock. I have to like keep switching the HDMI port the dock is in for the tv to recognize the switch is plugged in, and if someone has had an experience with a switch dock like shitting out similarly it'll help me commit to spending a hundred dollars.

K thanks byeeee zoomer kids.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Beat Live-A-Live today. Was probably overpowered with all party members over level 20 and a full set of cosmic gear. Oboromaru was near death for a bit but otherwise I never felt in serious trouble.
    Wonder how the final speech your main character gives to Oersted goes if you pick Pogo or Cube.

I have the answer to that, but putting it in a spoiler.
    Pogo says the one word he knows ("Ai"/"Love"), and hugs Oersted. Oerested remarks the purity of Pogo's passion and love, and how he wanted that, once upon a time.

Cube offers Oersted a flower, and Oersted questions where this compassion comes from, in a machine that has no heart or soul as men understand it. He decides that perhaps it's in the lack of these things that Cube can see and understand the heart and soul, in ways that men like him failed to.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Hello fellow kids... Anyway anyone have experience with a switch dock going out? I'm trying to decide if its the tv or the dock. I have to like keep switching the HDMI port the dock is in for the tv to recognize the switch is plugged in, and if someone has had an experience with a switch dock like shitting out similarly it'll help me commit to spending a hundred dollars.

K thanks byeeee zoomer kids.

have you tried different cables? If it happens even after moving from one hdmi to another on the tv then it's either the dock port or the cable right? I'd try another cable first. if that doesn't work..i think there are some usb to hdmi adapters but i have no idea if that would work...your issue sounds unfun for sure! (also are you manually selecting the input or are you letting the auto power-on thing try to connect?

• Options
    Manually selecting the input.

Maddeningly today worked without an issue. I guess the cable could be the cheaper replacement to see if that's the issue.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't really do a lot of hot swapping between handheld and TV. But I'd say maybe 1 in every 20 attempts, if I put a powered on Switch into the dock, either my TV doesn't turn on, or it does and doesn't change the input. I'd also say there's also another 1 in 20 chance I put the Switch in the dock and it doesn't charge.

There's a fancy acronym for when HDMI devices control your TV like that. I just assume it's that glitching up every now and again. It doesn't happen often, and it even happens to my PS4/5 with the same frequency. I can also only assume it might be dust getting into the dock.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Tried about three different kinds of grips (Satisfye, skull co, Split pad) but Switch still feels too heavy even if the skull co one feels the most comfortable.

I'm thinking its getting to the point where I need to admit defeat that what I really want is a Switch Lite. The thing is I still like playing on my TV most of the time. How much of a pain is it to go back and forth between two switches like every few hours with the same game and save data?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I don't really do a lot of hot swapping between handheld and TV. But I'd say maybe 1 in every 20 attempts, if I put a powered on Switch into the dock, either my TV doesn't turn on, or it does and doesn't change the input. I'd also say there's also another 1 in 20 chance I put the Switch in the dock and it doesn't charge.

There's a fancy acronym for when HDMI devices control your TV like that. I just assume it's that glitching up every now and again. It doesn't happen often, and it even happens to my PS4/5 with the same frequency. I can also only assume it might be dust getting into the dock.

CEC. It's gotten better but it's still not great, especially with receivers. But Preacher's issue sounds less like handshaking and more like communication. I would definitely replace the cable first. If the Switch is going into the dock and the green light is coming on, that's the likely culprit. Go for the dock if that doesn't fix it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Yeah greenlight comes on, switch would get charge, but signal was not getting sent, or it wouldn't get sent until I unplugged the hdmi from one slot to another.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Tried about three different kinds of grips (Satisfye, skull co, Split pad) but Switch still feels too heavy even if the skull co one feels the most comfortable.

I'm thinking its getting to the point where I need to admit defeat that what I really want is a Switch Lite. The thing is I still like playing on my TV most of the time. How much of a pain is it to go back and forth between two switches like every few hours with the same game and save data?

Ive been doing this fairly often of late and it's not much of a bother. A few seconds for cloud transfer for each direction, although obv the amount would vary by save file size. I've been doing it for Autonauts and just checked, save is about 64mb and took 5 or 6 seconds

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Warlock82 wrote: »

You know, I never looked at this cover *really* closely but that's actually an extremely good likeness of Wily for clay or whatever that is. Like, in the days when stuff like bad boxart Mega Man were pretty common, that's actually kind of impressive.

Oh, if you like that...

More:

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I just found out about this watching the most recent video from Jeff Gerstmann and damn, this looks pretty fucking cool!

https://youtu.be/1JQ9D17s0FY

Even better video on the Nintendo page for the game: https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/cursed-to-golf-switch/

Also, a store in a golfing purgatory called Eterni-tee is a great pun!

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited August 2022

I'm actually really interested in seeing more of Harvestella (I'm not quite sure what more of Splatoon 3 they could even show but I guess they just wanna hype it up)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Disgaea 7 is coming to Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cMt71Z2w-s

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Amidst all the Xeno playing I finished Ty 2. Not sure I liked it as much as the first game but was still a really fun platformer.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Saw this trending on twitter:

Huh, I wonder what the "new" thing is gonna be. Can I cross my fingers and hope for like, behind the scenes dev stuff? :P Or maybe it will just be something similar to the smash screens but with a different game *shrug* (not expecting a new game or anything but I still think this could be cool)

Warlock82 on
  • Options

I'm actually really interested in seeing more of Harvestella (I'm not quite sure what more of Splatoon 3 they could even show but I guess they just wanna hype it up)

So they've directly said whats in this. That totally means they are showing BOTW 2 and a new first person metroid.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Huh, I wonder what the "new" thing is gonna be. Can I cross my fingers and hope for like, behind the scenes dev stuff? :P Or maybe it will just be something similar to the smash screens but with a different game *shrug* (not expecting a new game or anything but I still think this could be cool)

It'll be pictures of his cat. :P

Poor guy has complained in the past that he can't post random things he likes on twitter or even his lunch without people saying OH MY GOD HAM SANDWICH CONFIRMED FOR SMASH

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Poor guy has complained in the past that he can't post random things he likes on twitter or even his lunch without people saying OH MY GOD HAM SANDWICH CONFIRMED FOR SMASH

I would legit be ok with cat pictures

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I would legit be ok with cat pictures

OMG CAT CONFIRMED FOR SMASH

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Disgaea 7 is coming to Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cMt71Z2w-s

The main character is such an awkward twunk.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    They're making a new Tales from the Borderlands game

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Uh wow, I sorta called it:
    https://youtu.be/7M-DnOIeasA
    https://youtu.be/OdVkEOzdCPw

Sakurai is making a youtube channel about game development. Didn't think he'd do a youtube channel specifically but this seems like it's going to be fun to watch

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

So they've directly said whats in this. That totally means they are showing BOTW 2 and a new first person metroid.

And the Switch Pro

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

And the Switch Pro

And the Wii U mini
    Its a DS

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »

And the Switch Pro

And the Wii U mini
    Its a DS

… you could probably pack equivalent horsepower into a case that size now…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Raybies666 wrote: »

And the Switch Pro

And the Wii U mini
    Its a DS

… you could probably pack equivalent horsepower into a case that size now…

Or put it all into the Balance Board as a wii fit machine. There must be millions of those fuckers laying around, I have three of them.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

And the Switch Pro

I still feel a co processing dock {it's a GPU that ups the processing power of the switch to up the frame rate and graphics on the TV} is more realistic than the switch pro as there is a lot crammed into that unit

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

And the Switch Pro

I still feel a co processing dock {it's a GPU that ups the processing power of the switch to up the frame rate and graphics on the TV} is more realistic than the switch pro as there is a lot crammed into that unit

Not sure the USB-C link would handle that in realtime. And in that case you would basically need the dock to run it by itself, and at that point it's another console.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

And the Switch Pro

Not sure the USB-C link would handle that in realtime. And in that case you would basically need the dock to run it by itself, and at that point it's another console.

I’m thinking if anything was the “Switch Pro” it’d be something like this; with a dedicated ultra-high-bandwidth connector, like the laptop docking ports of old.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    The Tegra X1 is positively ancient by now, there's ample room to improve performance with a modern node for starters. (I mean when was the last time modern GPUs were even double-digit nm?) No need to do something crazy like an external GPU yet.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Not sure the USB-C link would handle that in realtime.
    USB4 can handle an external GPU, max bandwidth is 40 Gbps and the spec is built upon the Thunderbolt 3 protocol. It can also do PCIe tunneling.
    The Tegra X1 is positively ancient by now, there's ample room to improve performance with a modern node for starters. (I mean when was the last time modern GPUs were even double-digit nm?) No need to do something crazy like an external GPU yet.
    Honestly I'm not sure why there is still speculation about a "Switch Pro" outside of whatever the successor might be from a purely branding perspective. The Nvidia leak (they didn't pay up so the hackers released information) included information about the likely chipset and there was mention of NVN2 (the current Switch GPU API is NVN) in the DLSS 2.2 source code. So what we're likely looking at being in the end product is:
    • 12 Streaming Multiprocessors
    • 1536 CUDA Cores
    • 48 Tensor Cores
    • 12 RT cores

GPU-wise that's a step down from the current mobile RTX 3050. Regardless of whether or not they call it a "Switch Pro" for marketing reasons that much of a spec bump is absolutely a Switch 2 regardless of the final clock speed the system runs at.

And with chip foundries being booked so tight I don't see how Nintendo could both manage any sort of minor spec bump for the Switch and prepare for a proper successor at the same time, particularly if any developers have to add support to take advantage of an improvement. Like...a couple of plausible improvements would be a combination of more DRAM (different foundries than microprocessors) and a wider memory bus to double the memory bandwidth. And the current Tegra is pretty heavily underclocked so if they could improve heat management (they trimmed down the heat sink in the Switch V2 thanks to the 28nm -> 14nm move) you could let it run closer to its max clock speed at the expense of battery life.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, at this point whatever hardware R&D is working on is just the next system I'm sure. Just because the Switch has been out that long.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    There's a school of though that Nintendo will take that chip and market it as "Switch Pro" or whatever DSi/New 3DS type name they come up with and go with that for a few more years. Because even though the chip is strong enough to be a new generation, they won't kick off an actual new generation until they can come up with some new stupid gimmick, since that's been their MO for the past nearly two decades.

I suppose it's debatable whether PS5/Series X were even "new generation" either in the sense that its taken years for even first party to commit to current exclusives. Even if that's more of an accident on Sony's side with the pandemic demand.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    There's a school of though that Nintendo will take that chip and market it as "Switch Pro" or whatever DSi/New 3DS type name they come up with and go with that for a few more years. Because even though the chip is strong enough to be a new generation, they won't kick off an actual new generation until they can come up with some new stupid gimmick, since that's been their MO for the past nearly two decades.

The DSi and New 3DS were pretty substantial upgrades on the hardware side that almost nothing took advantage of. The DSi only cost 20 USD more at launch than the DS, while the New 3DS actually cost $50 less than the original. You'll already pay $50 more just for a nicer screen and the 32GB of extra flash on the OLED.

To me the problem is that if you look at the leaked chip that isn't just a "few more years" kind of upgrade. If they were willing to cut prices on the existing models I could see something like an "upgraded" Tegra like I mentioned in the previous post being used as a life extender at the current MSRP for the Switch under the Pro moniker and being used to clear out any excess component inventory in advance of the upcoming release of Switch 2: Electric Boogaloo. Even if the only developers who would take advantage of it was Nintendo itself, though maybe with more RAM it would be easier for third party developers to continue porting titles that might otherwise stop coming to the platform due to the difficulties of squeezing games into 3GB of RAM.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru