As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Cards For The Card God

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Cards For The Card God!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Cards For The Card God

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Why is Magic: The Gathering listed as one of the search criteria when this comic is clearly about the Pokémon Trading Card Game?

FireballDragon on
  • Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    Why is Magic: The Gathering listed as one of the search criteria when this comic is clearly about the Pokémon Trading Card Game?

Cardboard is cardboard, right?

• Options
    MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    Please let the next comic be Pikachu-hat or Champ telling Gabe this guy is a noob and teaching him how to counter his deck.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    "Mate in 143 moves."
    "Oh poo, you win again!"

• Options
    ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    edited August 2022

To be fair. Making the transition from casual to competitive in almost any card game feels like this at first. Once you learn what the cards actually do and what your options to combat them are it becomes less painful. Out of the card games I've played somewhat competitively (Magic, Yu-gi-oh and Hearthstone), Yu-gi-oh is arguably the worst in terms of "I play 2 dozen cards with complicated effects and now you're dead. Game 2?"

ironhead on
  • Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Re: Magic: The Gathering

Of the few times I bothered to play in any sort of tournament format, Draft was the most fun since it involved trying to build something functional on the spot with what was available instead of showing up with something slavishly copied from popular meta. Of course, I may be biased since I tended to win those a lot- I had friends that liked big boom cards and killer combos but didn't always prioritize mana curve and deck flexibility.

Probably also why I liked Mystery Heroes in Overwatch. Since rote copies of whatever comps were popular on twitch weren't guaranteed to be available, you had to make what you did have work. (And the mode helped to avoid toxicity issues stemming from people getting super sweaty over character picks since that personality type would naturally avoid the mode)

Overkillengine on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Re: Magic: The Gathering

Of the few times I bothered to play in any sort of tournament format, Draft was the most fun since it involved trying to build something functional on the spot with what was available instead of showing up with something slavishly copied from popular meta. Of course, I may be biased since I tended to win those a lot- I had friends that liked big boom cards and killer combos but didn't always prioritize mana curve and deck flexibility.

Probably also why I liked Mystery Heroes in Overwatch. Since rote copies of whatever comps were popular on twitch weren't guaranteed to be available, you had to make what you did have work. (And the mode helped to avoid toxicity issues stemming from people getting super sweaty over character picks since that personality type would naturally avoid the mode)

My regular group played MH almost exclusively for a long time until they tightened up the role rules for QP. Even then we tended to play it a lot, but more and more the fact that the RNG makes no attempt at all to give the semblance of a comp burns us out on it real quick. There's only so often your team with no tanks or healers can throw itself at an enemy that keeps getting nothing but.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    That's definitely magic. Or at least what classic or unlimited tournaments look like (if you can't reliably pull off your win condition before turn 3 it's generally a bad deck. Unless your deck is all about sabotaging their deck).

And it's just super expensive to play the other formats since you have to buy new cards every time they sell a new cycle of cards, and even then professionals tend to play decks that get a win extremely fast (back when I was playing some 25 years ago the meta was focused on decks that won by turn 4-5).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    And it's just super expensive to play the other formats since you have to buy new cards every time they sell a new cycle of cards, and even then professionals tend to play decks that get a win extremely fast (back when I was playing some 25 years ago the meta was focused on decks that won by turn 4-5).

LMAO. I quit playing M:tG because I looked at how much I was spending on it and realized what else I could be spending that money on.

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    That's definitely magic. Or at least what classic or unlimited tournaments look like (if you can't reliably pull off your win condition before turn 3 it's generally a bad deck. Unless your deck is all about sabotaging their deck).

Yeah; Pokémon rarely has decks that try to win one turn one. That said, there are some out there - I'm thinking of Expanded format donk decks, that will cycle through their entire deck to KO all your starting Pokémon in a single turn (like this: https://pokemoncard.io/deck/fast-raid-donk-deck-457 ). When they work, the other person doesn't get to play at all. When they don't work, the other person just passes the turn back and the combo player loses because their deck is out of cards. :D

• Options
    Armored ChocoboArmored Chocobo Registered User regular
    "I'd like to play MTG"

*Opponent summons 100 goblins by Turn 2*

"You know what? I'm good."

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I am guilty of that tactic but only because I love hoards of things.

Got my ass absolutely handed to me by a white deck negating spells.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think a horde of goblins and a hoard of goblins would likely be very similar.

Maybe with the latter they're just somewhat more confused than usual.

H9f4bVe.png