As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] Wizzing Toys for Everyone

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    tired of XL control decks that cost a jillion dust?

this decks a lot cheaper and a shitload of fun to play

### Thief
    # Class: Rogue
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Hydra
    #
    # 2x (0) Preparation
    # 2x (0) Shadowstep
    # 2x (1) Blackwater Cutlass
    # 2x (1) Door of Shadows
    # 2x (1) Gone Fishin'
    # 2x (1) SI:7 Extortion
    # 2x (1) Sinister Strike
    # 1x (2) Maestra of the Masquerade
    # 2x (2) Serrated Bone Spike
    # 2x (2) Sinstone Graveyard
    # 2x (2) Tooth of Nefarian
    # 2x (2) Wicked Stab (Rank 1)
    # 1x (3) Edwin, Defias Kingpin
    # 2x (3) Shroud of Concealment
    # 1x (4) Necrolord Draka
    # 1x (5) Sprint
    # 2x (5) Wildpaw Gnoll
    #
    AAECAd75AwSh+QPtgASWnwT23QQNqusD/u4DofQDvYAElJ8E9p8E958E+6UE+awEt7ME9N0E9d0EwYMFAA==
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    As a very casual BGs player, the BGs quests don't look... bad to me? As a mechanism to mix games up a bit and potentially make players have to adapt their strategies on the fly, it seems like it would be at least somewhat effective.

I do see how there's the potential for someone to highroll and run away with the game because they got offered just the right quest and Bob tossed out just the right minions for them to complete it super fast. But at least from the preview, the payoffs didn't seem insanely strong or anything. +5 attack to all your minions, for example, is no doubt helpful but certainly not a game-winning perk by itself.

Some of the quest rewards are insanely strong. Like golden two minions for free (every turn I guess, since rewards are supposed to be permanent).

Some are very build specific, like get 2 naga every turn or passive scaling for death rattle minions.

Imo this leads to the high rolls being higher which already was a problem with darkmoon prizes. But we'll see how it turns out.

Many quest rewards are in this Twitter thread
    https://mobile.twitter.com/ninaisnoob/status/1562604004617596929?s=20&t=rYNM5ejOSvnrUO0kfI6tyQ
    I see there are a few significantly better Quest rewards than the ones revealed in the article, but presumably the requirements to complete the strong ones will be significantly steeper. Passive Zephrys hero power is only good if you can complete it before you're dead, after all.

I guess we'll have to see how well tuned the risk/reward system is, which, given how BG first pass balance attempts have been so far, I can see why people would be concerned. As someone who consumes BGs more through Twitch spectating than actually playing them, it should be fun to watch some new highroll fiestas.

• Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    I get back into Hearthstone for two weeks, a balance patch makes VS cry, and Blizzard introduces layers on layers of cash grabbery. This isn't the normal cadence of disasters in Hearthstone, is it?

Airking850 wrote: »
    I get back into Hearthstone for two weeks, a balance patch makes VS cry, and Blizzard introduces layers on layers of cash grabbery. This isn't the normal cadence of disasters in Hearthstone, is it?
    Nah, more like an annual event.

Good news for Yilias, a handful of streamers, and no one else!
    Wild Heroic Brawliseum Returning on September 14

• AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Dropped back to rank 5 with Shaman so thought it was time for something else. Meanwhile I'm surprising players with my midrange/aggro Palladin and currently am rank 2 with it.

### One is the loniest nr
    # Class: Paladin
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Hydra
    #
    # 2x (1) Blessed Goods
    # 1x (1) Bubbler
    # 2x (1) Knight of Anointment
    # 2x (1) Peasant
    # 2x (1) Pelican Diver
    # 2x (1) Promotion
    # 2x (1) Righteous Protector
    # 1x (1) Rise to the Occasion
    # 2x (1) Sinful Sous Chef
    # 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
    # 2x (2) Great Hall
    # 2x (3) Alliance Bannerman
    # 1x (3) Stewart the Steward
    # 2x (3) Warhorse Trainer
    # 1x (4) Buffet Biggun
    # 2x (4) Dun Baldar Bridge
    # 1x (4) Stand Against Darkness
    # 2x (9) Lightray
    #
    AAECAb7jAwa09gPKoATerwTlsATC4gTM4gQMzOsD8PYD9PYDlfkDx6AEyaAE57gE6rkE4tMEv+IE/e4EjIMFAA==
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
    Got my first battleground win! Streamers make it look so easy to put together a solid team. Meanwhile as a new player every turn goes to the rope as I stare at my options for a minute before hitting random buttons in a panic. Lucky for me, C'thun and the tier 6 Naga were piling on so many sweet sweet +1/+1s that it didn't matter what direction I flailed in. That was fun!

And it happened just in time for Blizzard to separate the reward tracks, so I have to choose between trying out BGs and earning the full XP of playing ladder. The season 2 update says that BGs will give "some" Hearthstone XP, which I'm assuming means half-rate-at-best..?

Big spell mage is a meta tyrant again and I hate it so much

You're punished for playing cheap spells because they get swapped with 9-10 mana spells which are then used against you

You're punished for having any kind of board because they have so many freeze effects

They gain ridiculous amounts of armor and disrupt with theotar/mutants and if they are in trouble they just pull random bullshit out of their ass with cheap rune of the archmage/drakefire amulet which they then chain with macaws

Airking850 wrote: »
    And it happened just in time for Blizzard to separate the reward tracks, so I have to choose between trying out BGs and earning the full XP of playing ladder. The season 2 update says that BGs will give "some" Hearthstone XP, which I'm assuming means half-rate-at-best..?
    I had the same impression. What the hell does "some" mean? Given the devastating news that came in the announcement, I'm not optimistic about what we'll be left with for XP gain.

The thing I find fascinating with the communication is how there's no difference in tone between things that are exciting and things that are awful realities of gaming in 2022. It's like they've been to so many game dev conferences that focus on monetization that it all looks the same to them now. "We're introducing new rewards for BGs! Wow! And you buy these with runestones, which change the way the shop works with no effect on gameplay! Wow!"

edited August 2022
    I'm 0% winrate vs mage today spamming aggro druid and Edwin rogue, and mage has been 72% of my pocket meta (dumpster legend)

Beyond tilted with the silly horseshit they end up doing every single game

Reduce their location by 1 durability, do SOMETHING about their constant cheap access to freeze, I am amazed how they have remained absolutely untouched by all the recent nerfs

The majority of my games have been absolute nongames where I have been unable to play hearthstone and just sit there frozen getting pinged/skeletoned to death with no counterplay

Beasteh on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    I'm 0% winrate vs mage today spamming aggro druid and Edwin rogue, and mage has been 72% of my pocket meta (dumpster legend)

Reduce their location by 1 durability, do SOMETHING about their constant cheap access to freeze, I am amazed how they have remained absolutely untouched by all the recent nerfs

The majority of my games have been absolute nongames where I have been unable to play hearthstone and just sit there frozen getting pinged/skeletoned to death with no counterplay

If your problem is Skeleton Mage, then run combo/control. They can't do anything if you don't put a board out and just clear their minions. According to HSTracker, Relic DH has like a 70% win rate against them. I love when I see a Mage.

edited August 2022
    This has to be the least fun meta in years

I keep saying this but yeesh

Beasteh on
    ObiFett wrote: »

If your problem is Skeleton Mage, then run combo/control. They can't do anything if you don't put a board out and just clear their minions. According to HSTracker, Relic DH has like a 70% win rate against them. I love when I see a Mage.
    I find the moment you try to change the deck you're playing to deal with what you're facing, you stop running into what you're trying to counter.

Aggro Druid, the meta terror:
    xwdoqpbo6okf.jpg
    t2xgtugdacta.jpg

At the same time it's also a deck that can have lethal on turn 5

Starting with Naga/trogg that doesn't immediately get removed can just snowball out of control

After a rough start against counters, nut drawing opponents, and people who know how to clear minions, I managed to do the dad legend climb with aggro Druid (just used the VS list, which I believe is the same as the one I posted last week or so).

It really relies on getting an explosive start and your opponent either not being able to contest your board or not packing removal (one loss was to a Curselock (I think?) who was pretty much just clearing my minions without issue).

edited August 2022
    I think the claw guy 2 mana 2/3 that gives everything +1 attack that turn is vital for winning the mirror, not sure why VS doesn't include it

You want to be able to remove and trade up efficiently as much as possible

Beasteh on
    I think the claw guy 2 mana 2/3 that gives everything +1 attack that turn is vital for winning the mirror, not sure why VS doesn't include it

You want to be able to remove and trade up efficiently as much as possible
    What are you cutting for them? The Cooks?

I think there are definitely a few cards you can swap around in the deck but I doubt it changes the overall performance significantly. It's all trade-offs, really. The deck is precariously balancing getting stuff on board, board buffs, and a bit of draw/value. Anything you swap is just going to push it around that triad a bit.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Looks like the Clawfury decks focus more on going wide.

-Beaming Sidekick, +Vibrant Squirrel
    -Crooked Cook, +Clawfury Adept
    -Mark of the Wild, +Power of the Wild

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    First time ever hitting Diamond 10. Using a dirty Big Priest deck but I don't really care. I want to hit Legend at some point and although I don't think I'll make it this month, I should be able to make a strong run in September to make it happen.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I used this to climb from 8500 Legend NA to 5500 Legend NA in about an hour:

2x (0) Aquatic Form
    2x (0) Innervate
    2x (1) Druid of the Reef
    2x (1) Irondeep Trogg
    2x (1) Living Roots
    2x (1) Peasant
    2x (1) Sow the Soil
    2x (1) Vibrant Squirrel
    2x (1) Vicious Slitherspear
    2x (2) Clawfury Adept
    2x (2) Composting
    2x (2) Power of the Wild
    2x (2) Thorngrowth Sentries
    2x (3) Herald of Nature
    2x (4) Pride's Fury

Code: AAECAaa4AwAPrewDs+wD7PUD9PYDgfcDhPcDrIAErp8E2Z8E4aQEl6UEiLIErsAEqM4EgdQEAA==

One way or another, games are fast. Although I did beat one Big Spell Mage while I was in fatigue. I got a friend request for that one.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    edited August 2022
    They call me BigPie#1521, and I have murloc decks. Beat me up, and earn 1500 X(p).

Edit: Heading out for the night. Quest is still up for grabs!

Airking850 on
    edited August 2022
    I sent an add request in case our online times overlap.

forty on
  • ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    I'll throw out an Challenge XP invite, too; it's been sitting in my daily quests for a while now.

Anigamebum#1354 . At work now but might pop in on mobile every once in a while; will try to be available in the evening EDT to get over to platinum10 before the month ends.

Mainly play Wild Pirate Rogue or Standard Pure Pally Invite atm but up for whatever I can squeeze in.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    New BG patch is live.

Demons and dragons are now capable of being good before Tier 6. Because Blizzard being Blizzard, battlegrounds pass is now only $15, you can no longer buy it with gold.

Animationstone means you have to watch your opponent's BG Quest completion animation if it happens during combat.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Blizzard straight up deleted one of my weekly bounties (get a top 4 in BG) with this patch, awesome, great job team /s

Animationstone means you have to watch your opponent's BG Quest completion animation if it happens during combat.
    The repeatable Another Hidden Body quest is another 5 second animation every time you complete it.

ronzo wrote: »
    Blizzard straight up deleted one of my weekly bounties (get a top 4 in BG) with this patch, awesome, great job team /s

Aww that's rough. Hope they make up for it!

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Quick FYI on new mechanics that I lucked into: the battlegrounds quest that gives all minions +15/+15 at the start of each round will trigger before the one Naga that doubles it's stats before each round.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    There's a charming bug in bgs right now where your end of turn rope burns without ending so you quit out, reload and get stuck on reconnecting to game

It utterly bricks your client and you need to reinstall only for it to happen again

Stay away from bgs until it's fixed

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    There's a charming bug in bgs right now where your end of turn rope burns without ending so you quit out, reload and get stuck on reconnecting to game

It utterly bricks your client and you need to reinstall only for it to happen again

Stay away from bgs until it's fixed

From what I've seen word is if you let it sit for like 20-30 minutes it will eventually boot you out again with an "unable to connect" error, then you should be able to connect after starting it up again.

Of course depending on your internet speed it may still end up being faster to just redownload the damn thing.

But I'm assuming what's actually happening is it is trying to rejoin the same game but can't for whatever reason, but won't let you do anything else until it gets in either. So I assume what's really going on is that you're basically just stuck until the current game in progress ends.

Donnicton on
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular

Lost two games today due to an endless quest popping at a bad time so I couldn't finish my turn/played with too few minions.

I guess animations only get finished late, so they are never actually playtested?

I mean it's the same sort of bullshit slow animation that Quests have been doing since the United in Stormwind ones, there's really no excuse for it at this point.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular

[Added 8/30] The team is aware that any existing Battlegrounds-only Weekly Quests players had prior to the 24.2 patch were deleted when 24.2 went live. It is intended that these Weekly Quests will not be offered going forward, but it is not intended that those players already had would be deleted went the patch went live. Those deleted Weekly Quests will be returned to affected players in an update coming soon.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I hit Plat 5 this morning and I think I'm done climbing for the month. I've been playing skeleton mage since the beginning of the month and there is just a lot of stuff that dumpsters it that has made climbing an... let's call it uneven experience.

Anyway, a month of one deck is plenty and I'm trying to figure out what to play next. I dusted a whole shitload of golden Wild cards and now I've got about 7k dust to play with. Aggro druid and dude paladin both look like fun decks, but mage, druid, and paladin are my go-to classes. Ideally I'd find something different. I like rogue but the current miracle variant is so unfun to play against I don't have any desire to inflict it on someone else. I may try and build a deathrattle rogue if I can cobble the cards together.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Might be worth waiting until the next balance patch. Maybe something new will emerge that catches your eye?

I've been climbing with aggro Druid and it's pretty fun as far as aggro decks go. Aggro vs aggro matchups are particularly fun and lead to interesting lines, especially when there are Troggs on both sides of the board. There are feelsbad games where you never have a chance to gain momentum because your hand doesn't come together or your opponent has all the right answers, but those aren't too common, and that's just the aggro life.

Aggro Druid is cheap and you probably have most or all the cards needed for at least one version of it already, as long as you've bought a reasonable number of packs for the last few expansions. It's a good deck to play until you figure out what you want to take a chance on investing more dust into.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »

[Added 8/30] The team is aware that any existing Battlegrounds-only Weekly Quests players had prior to the 24.2 patch were deleted when 24.2 went live. It is intended that these Weekly Quests will not be offered going forward, but it is not intended that those players already had would be deleted went the patch went live. Those deleted Weekly Quests will be returned to affected players in an update coming soon.

Good, but maybe they should test their shit first, especially when it’s purely a money grab that causes fuckups.