As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

One Year In, We are Still Playing [Genshin Impact]

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I only did the electro one once to try it, but have done the Jadeplume a bunch for mats, and it goes down very fast to a humble little Zhongli/Yelan/Hu Tao/Xingqiu team. Just a scrappy bunch of underdogs trying their best.

The new artifact and talent domains are nice too, really quick clears with no fuss.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    PSA: don't forget that you can use the net gadget to capture the tiny mushroom pigs and place them in your pot.

There are various other things you can do in Sumeru too I guess.

I was very disappointed to see the net not work on the large ones, or the jungle cats. Almost made me log out right after.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Grislo wrote: »
    PSA: don't forget that you can use the net gadget to capture the tiny mushroom pigs and place them in your pot.

There are various other things you can do in Sumeru too I guess.

I was very disappointed to see the net not work on the large ones, or the jungle cats. Almost made me log out right after.

Where as I’m the weirdo who still wants to get hilichurls to put into my pot.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Glazius wrote: »
    akjak wrote: »
    I found a merchant in the ranger station selling 5 of them, so that's something at least.

ETA: There was a huge round root blocking my way and every time I tried jumping or walking over it with my Ganyu I slid back. So on a whim I switched to Sayu and started rolling and that got me over it. Truly the tables have turned.

What ranger station? Where? I must know!

Gandharva, he's right by the cookpot in front of Tigger's house. It's the usual "selling regional specialties" thing where you can get a 5-pack every couple days, and he has some simple recipes too.

Found another seller for these according to wiki: Aramani in Vanarana. Will have to check it out once I'm back from work.

Took a bit of searching but Aramani is in SSE from the Vanarana's statue of Seven, around where the little pond is marked on the map standing under a stone arch.

Mirkel on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Heh. Achievement: "Han always shoots first..."

That put a smile on my face.

Also, woo, bounties/requests unlocked before reset...

And... Sumeru is insane. Like, how many giant cave systems can they stuff into the first part of the region...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Heh. Achievement: "Han always shoots first..."

That put a smile on my face.

Also, woo, bounties/requests unlocked before reset...

And... Sumeru is insane. Like, how many giant cave systems can they stuff into the first part of the region...

having underground stuff is so good

i really hope they revisit mondstadt at some point and just flesh it out because i would love to re-explore it

obF2Wuw.png
  • XantusXantus Registered User regular
    my sumeru experience = "oh, so the main character has a voice now sometimes and also there are poop jokes"

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I finished both Major Plot Quest Chains yesterday. For one reason or another, this was the first time I felt like "Paimon as PC Voice" hurt the narrative presentation, especially during Act 2 of the Archon Quest. Mihoyo's doing their best to make the story engaging, but someone's fucking up big time putting so much emphasis on Paimon expressing how little they understand of anything.

Random Other Thoughts:

Environmental Design is top-notch. As mentioned above: so many cave systems and grand verticality. Apam Woods is probs my favorite zone.

A bit surprised there's no Trounce Boss in this patch, but I get the sense they ran into some issues sorting out the plot threads and ultimately decided Marana's Avatar wasn't suited to the role.

Related to the above: a new billet type? Well, I guess I won't be crafting any of these new Blacksmith Weapons any time soon. Sorry Collei.

You can craft midlander billets from two northlander billets and dream solvents.

You can craft midlander billets from two northlander billets and dream solvents.

Excellent. Hadn’t thought to check whether Dream Solvent had a new function.

edited August 2022
    I wish the new weapons weren't all so shoehorned into Dendro though.

The dream tree does give billets, though the first one is sword and I dunno what the order is on em. But that'll be one of each for sure.

Polaritie on
    I'm not a big fan of the mechanic of picking up buffs by walking over them mid-combat. Depending where it lands it can be a big dps loss to walk to the wrong direction while fighting and it's just one more unnecessary distraction. So while the new weapons look cool I'm not really interested in any of them right now. My Collei got a Favonius Warbow, that's plenty good enough for her.

Well, the bow and catalyst have a different thing going, but I dunno if it's any good still.

I've started working on the new fish bow, since it's the next best ER to favonius of 4* bows (Yelan's already using my r5 favonious bow... god that refunds so much energy).

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    I finished both Major Plot Quest Chains yesterday. For one reason or another, this was the first time I felt like "Paimon as PC Voice" hurt the narrative presentation, especially during Act 2 of the Archon Quest. Mihoyo's doing their best to make the story engaging, but someone's fucking up big time putting so much emphasis on Paimon expressing how little they understand of anything.

Random Other Thoughts:

Environmental Design is top-notch. As mentioned above: so many cave systems and grand verticality. Apam Woods is probs my favorite zone.

A bit surprised there's no Trounce Boss in this patch, but I get the sense they ran into some issues sorting out the plot threads and ultimately decided Marana's Avatar wasn't suited to the role.

Related to the above: a new billet type? Well, I guess I won't be crafting any of these new Blacksmith Weapons any time soon. Sorry Collei.

The only continent that launched with a trounce boss was Mondstadt, the prologue continent, which launched complete. Liyue and Inazuma both got trounce bosses in later patches that advanced the archon quest. At launch the plot was only as far as receiving an invitation to the Jade Chamber; it took a while before we actually got up there.

To be fair to myself, as a console player the game launched with the Dragon and the Wolf. And I guess I thought Inazuma had Fatui Lady?

Regardless, I wasn't really speaking about precedent. I just thought "oh, this sure has a lot of content, kinda surprised there's no spiffy weekly boss."

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I was curious, because everybody needs a weekly boss item to level up their talents, so what on earth are the dendro's using then? And... they're just using Raiden boss drops. Weird.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    I was curious, because everybody needs a weekly boss item to level up their talents, so what on earth are the dendro's using then? And... they're just using Raiden boss drops. Weird.

Which is really preferable since people probably have some of those stacked up now. If you got Tighnari or you want to boost Collei you already have those materials at least.

Still gotta deal with the dumb mushrooms, Dendro crystals, and beaks, though.

Which is really preferable since people probably have some of those stacked up now. If you got Tighnari or you want to boost Collei you already have those materials at least.

Still gotta deal with the dumb mushrooms, Dendro crystals, and beaks, though.

Beaks are easy enough though. You can just throw raw DPS into that boss without issue.

Mushrooms are pretty easy too, there's a whole smurf village of 'em running around under the Quorn Beast. Just don't hit them with pyro or electro - bring your best freeze team.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular

The narrative has always been presented miserably, unfortunately, but it feels like it's gotten even worse starting in like, Inazuma. It's bad enough that Paimon answers 80% of the time for the Traveler, but then we get situations where half or more of the Traveler's prompts are....either the same answer or parts of the same answer, in which case, I don't know why they present it as a dialogue choice in the first place. And since the PC is railroaded so much, I don't know why they barely have any voice lines.

It's baffling.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

The narrative has always been presented miserably, unfortunately, but it feels like it's gotten even worse starting in like, Inazuma. It's bad enough that Paimon answers 80% of the time for the Traveler, but then we get situations where half or more of the Traveler's prompts are....either the same answer or parts of the same answer, in which case, I don't know why they present it as a dialogue choice in the first place. And since the PC is railroaded so much, I don't know why they barely have any voice lines.

It's baffling.

I feel like Inazuma was the absolute low point and Sumeru has gotten slightly better. I don't think it'll ever be super great but it could be worse.

Darth_Mogs wrote: »

It's baffling.

I feel like Inazuma was the absolute low point and Sumeru has gotten slightly better. I don't think it'll ever be super great but it could be worse.

as someone who hadn't used traveler in a party for a long time, sumeru is pretty funny/weird .. now that he's back in the party and really worth using with dendro, we get to hear him constantly say odd plant science phrases. "propagate!"

after this episode of "Dark City in the Jungles of India, with mushrooms" the connection to the 'main-story' grows ever stranger..

my character banner pity popped.. but i lost the 50/50 to.. c3 Mona. alas.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Ugh, I guess I should stop being lazy and unlock that fight then

steam_sig.png
    Spoit wrote: »

Ugh, I guess I should stop being lazy and unlock that fight then

That harsh anti-Raiden-Shogun training is finally going to pay off!

Hit 10 on the battle pass, blew my blue wish. Primordial Jade spear. I'll take that!

Also meet Alhaitham in the story and, damn, I'm gonna need him when he comes out.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Minor correction: a single northlander billet, and two dream solvents.

If it were a 2 -> 1 that would exceptionally painful.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Minor correction: a single northlander billet, and two dream solvents.

If it were a 2 -> 1 that would exceptionally painful.

Oh yep! Oops.

Hit 10 on the battle pass, blew my blue wish. Primordial Jade spear. I'll take that!

Also meet Alhaitham in the story and, damn, I'm gonna need him when he comes out.

I’m assuming he’s a Dendro Catalyst user? Definitely a strong visual design. Would be neat if he gets a Childe-like mechanic of using Knowledge Capsules to change attack behavior.

Also, re: End of Ayanlaka Quest Chain:
    I hope Rana gets a legit glow-up and comes back as a 5-Star alongside her new best friend.

I’m assuming he’s a Dendro Catalyst user? Definitely a strong visual design. Would be neat if he gets a Childe-like mechanic of using Knowledge Capsules to change attack behavior.

Also, re: End of Ayanlaka Quest Chain:
    I hope Rana gets a legit glow-up and comes back as a 5-Star alongside her new best friend.
    Yeah. I'd assume she'd be a sword user I guess. But that was my first thought too when I finally completed the quest - that she'd better be playable in the future.

it seems like they didn't give the sumeru songs names for the spincrystals. but this one is my jam. my teapot is jazzhands

b3834vujfygp.png

If memory serves, that’s the Port Ormos bop?

So, some thoughts on the major world quest this patch:
    I advanced the text too fast, but the harp was Venti's, wasn't it? It seemed like it was somewhat implying that (something about a bard from Montstadt, and well, we know one bard who loves a good harp there)

Also, the whole thing feels like it draws a lot on Zelda games with the use of the harp and songs to trigger things. Or at least, I can't help making the comparison there.

Beyond that though, the Aranara as a whole are really cool and I love how they deal with memories/dreams there. The ending is great. Both the final fight with a literal power of friendship buff, and then a very sweet ending with Rana. Confronting the other villain (optional) afterwards is well handled too.

I haven’t remembered to follow-up on the optional thing, but I did find that kidnapped girl that didn’t want to go home.

Re: Aranara - I liked most of them, but the text def couldn’t decide if they were hyper-literal or hyper-figurative entities. Probably a translation mishap, but it certainly exacerbated issues with Paimon as Voice.

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Oh no they're really gonna Groundhog Day me up in here? Ugggghhhhh....

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    akjak wrote: »
    Oh no they're really gonna Groundhog Day me up in here? Ugggghhhhh....

Yeah. That bit's a slog. I like what they do with it, but it takes a bit too long getting there.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    The way Sumeru plays out really makes it obvious that Genshin should not have stamina outside of battle. It's pointless padding that actively interferes with the flow of the game.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    on holiday and turned on genshin in some downtime and realised that you cant choose to log in to a european account but play on local servers

thats a bit tragic o well

obF2Wuw.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I'm fairly certain Queen Aranyani is Greater Lord Rukkhadevata, leading to some mildly humourous speculation that both she and Kusanali are actually cabbages. Wouldn't be out of line with Venti being a wind spirit and Zhongli being a dragon (the mystery of what Ei and Makoto were and how they got electro elemental powers before the vision system remains).

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    on holiday and turned on genshin in some downtime and realised that you cant choose to log in to a european account but play on local servers

thats a bit tragic o well

Yup. Moved to euroland and my genshin account is dead to me unless I VPN to play which eh.

What is this I don't even.
    Has anybody here built their dendro traveler? Last traveler version I tried to build was electro since people said it was decently good but that ended up being a huge disappointment. Traveler's burst seems pretty good on paper but it's hard to really tell without testing it out.