As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Interesting Facts] are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Mantissa is a boss in SilkSong

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    to be less snarky, I'd never actually heard the idea that "and" with a set of numbers implies a decimal, and I've definitely never heard the word mantissa before today!

the more you knoooow

I'd never heard the implicit decimal side of the equation, but I was taught that it's technically incorrect to use and when stating a number

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    For clarity, you should say onehundredtwoandeighty.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Straightzi wrote: »
    to be less snarky, I'd never actually heard the idea that "and" with a set of numbers implies a decimal, and I've definitely never heard the word mantissa before today!

the more you knoooow

I'd never heard the implicit decimal side of the equation, but I was taught that it's technically incorrect to use and when stating a number

tbh I've never really heard this either and outside of like, a very specific mathematics-based setting I can't really imagine why it would be seen as wrong

it's super duper common in normal spoken speech

seems like one of those "rules for rules' sake" type things people like to do with language sometimes

Houk the Namebringer on
  • AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    I just don't like the earmouthfeel of "a hunderd and thirty-five dollars and twelve cents."

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    You get one 'and'

If you have cents with the dollars, the and denotes the split to cents

If you don't, it's one hundred and thirty five dollars

Or ten thousand, one hundred and thirty five dollars

etc

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I generally teach students that “and” just kind of means we’re at the end of the number.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I show my students Pi and go THIS IS WHAT AWAITS YOU IN MATH ARE YOU PREPARED

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    You can't stop me from using more than one and, and I'll fight you

BahamutZERO.gif
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    xxen7hy510ip.png

Three million and two hundred thousand and forty-two and six hundred and eighty okay bye

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I have never in my life as a student, scientist, and now science-adjacent person heard someone use "and" to refer to a decimal. It has always been "point" or "dot" to swap to the decimal.

This feels like "literally" and "decimate," again.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    I have never in my life as a student, scientist, and now science-adjacent person heard someone use "and" to refer to a decimal. It has always been "point" or "dot" to swap to the decimal.

This feels like "literally" and "decimate," again.

Same.

Only way is "forty dollars and thirty two cents" where they're saying a list.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Even then you're not actually doing the thing though, you're stating two (related) numbers, but you've individually labeled them

And the other way to say $40.32 that I feel is commonly used is "forty thirty two", not "forty and thirty two"

putting the 'and' there does give off a very "listing of belongings found in inmate's pockets during intake" vibe

• WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I have to use "spot" for the period in a number as a part of my job, and my brain recoils every time.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Whelk wrote: »
    I have to use "spot" for the period in a number as a part of my job, and my brain recoils every time.

Illegal.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

what

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

what

They work at 7-Up and the company is crazy for their old mascot.

"2 spot 45", "I'm going on my spot break," "He was fired for spotting his admin."

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Holy shit this is so cursed. I now regret bringing up the whole thing.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The "and" makes sense with money as cents and dollars are two different things. You have dollars and cents. You wouldn't use "and" if you were talking about a decimal amount of dollars.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I want interesting facts about butts and sleepy turtles

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The "and" makes sense with money as cents and dollars are two different things. You have dollars and cents. You wouldn't use "and" if you were talking about a decimal amount of dollars.

a3lydwaw2zp7.jpg

zkHcp.jpg
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I was looking at that thinking that I should do a scientific drawing of that guy.

You absolutely should consider it, yes. Because I want to see it.

I drew the Boy

fty93xwznp6i.png

There is zero archeological evidence to support the vestigial nubbins but I knew in my heart of hearts it had them.

is that crease in the front its cloaca?

is that crease in the front its cloaca?

Homie

Yes it is.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    so majestic

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    It's beautiful. Thank you.

I cannot get over the joyful choice to put the horn inside the skin.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    D&D is spitting hot fire this edition

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    There is zero archeological evidence to support the vestigial nubbins but I knew in my heart of hearts it had them.

I assumed those were its nipples, but then I saw that nope, you had those covered already

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Many of you may be familiar with the concept of your Earth 'Christmas', but were you aware that this year, the Earth holiday of Christmas is also the same day as Martian New Year's Eve?

Mars has an orbit last a little under 2 Earth years, and it celebrates a new one every time it rolls through its vernal equinox, which this year happens to fall on the day after Christmas on Earth, hence Christmas is also Martian New Year's Eve.

The year just ending is Martian year 36, with the first day of year 37 starting on Boxing Day. Year 36 began back in Feb 2021 (coincidentally on another significant holiday here in New Zealand, Waitangi Day), while the last day of year 37 falls on Nov 11, 2024 (Armistice Day). The years count from a series of observed dust storms back in the 1950's because you had to start somewhere.
    Owing to the slightly more elliptical orbit, Mars has a longer Spring and Autumn and shorter Summer and Winter (relatively - with years being twice as long even the short seasons last longer than Earth's).

This has been your holiday season interesting facts.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    There's a totally free website that tracks all the non-military aircraft flying around the whole entire world all the time.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/

Was that a medical evac helicopter that just flew over your house? The news? Just some students from a local pilot school? Now you know!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Jedoc confirmed assassin contracted against Musk.