As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    My
    Need to buy a uniform for my son...
    Good news is, he's going to a charter school that has a program and supports for autistic kids.
    Bad news is, he's going to a charter school and the nonsense around that.

The uniform is... like, it's OK enough. But I need to find navy pants with a button or zip fly-
    difficulty level is that I need pants with no belt loops. I mean, belt loops are allowed, but then he would be required to wear a belt, and I don't really see that happening without some issues. But every pant I see with a fly also has belt loops. Anybody have any suggestions? Bonus points for if the fly isn't strictly necessary, but you can pull pants on and off without undoing the fly...

My friend I have GOT you.

Old Navy have Chino style pants with an elastic waist band and a hidden drawstring. From the outside they look like regular chinos with a button and zip fly, but they're nice and comfy elastic and a drawstring to keep them in place. The fly and button are functional, but you don't need to use them.

I have two pairs and as a guy who hates wearing belts, they're GREAT.

yes, yes, this is what I was looking for, thank you. I figured they *should* exist somewhere, but Google has been failing a lot lately..

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Did anyone else have kids go through a phase where they just refused to sleep under their blankets? Like Ripley just curls up on top of her blankets and just why

Unless they're waking up later cold and bugging you, doesn't seem like something you need to care about.

:so_raven:
  • ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Did anyone else have kids go through a phase where they just refused to sleep under their blankets? Like Ripley just curls up on top of her blankets and just why

Unless they're waking up later cold and bugging you, doesn't seem like something you need to care about.
    Look, I don't spend good money on blankets for my kids not to use them.
    (It's a phase some of them do, not super weird and it passes.)

• UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    Wife poured herself a glass of wine, I made myself a drink, 5 year old got chocolate milk.

Yup it’s Bluey season 3 time

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Personally, I would think five year old chocolate would have gone off.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    In theory I have no problem with Athena climbing into bed with us to sleep.

In practice, Athena climbs into bed with us to kick the shit out of us and waking me up 2.5 hrs into my 5 hr long time to sleep is not ideal.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

So we actually hardlined the "You do not sleep in our bed, we don't sleep in yours, period". We heard what I consider horror stories of a 5 year old that can only fall asleep holding dad's hand, so he's just laying on the floor in her room for hours. Actually I can't remember if I read that here or it was a coworker or something.
    So we did it, and were judged by parents who didn't. Hell we have friends who give in to their dogs, let alone kids getting in the bed. (Kids at least pretend to brush their teeth and wash their hands. . . )
    But man, EVERYONE sleeps better in their own bed. Was totally worth it for us.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Thro wrote: »
    So we actually hardlined the "You do not sleep in our bed, we don't sleep in yours, period". We heard what I consider horror stories of a 5 year old that can only fall asleep holding dad's hand, so he's just laying on the floor in her room for hours. Actually I can't remember if I read that here or it was a coworker or something.
    So we did it, and were judged by parents who didn't. Hell we have friends who give in to their dogs, let alone kids getting in the bed. (Kids at least pretend to brush their teeth and wash their hands. . . )
    But man, EVERYONE sleeps better in their own bed. Was totally worth it for us.

We have a hard line except for two things.

1. Nightmares
    2. Illness

Of course this led to some manipulation as Ripley claims to have a nightmare one minute after tucking into bed, but it doesn't feel right to just put her back into bed if she's scared or doesn't feel well.

HOWEVER

Just two nights ago she snuck into our bed and proceeded to just kick the everliving shit out of me in the middle of the night so I picked her up and just unceremoniously threw her back into her bed.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I barely sleep with my wife, having the kids in bed is right out.
    This is an old family in-joke predicated on the fact that I need about 3 hours less sleep than my wife, so would often go to bed after she fell asleep, and get up before she wakes up.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    We let our kids into the bed on a few conditions:
    1. Kicking or constant movement means you're back in your bed.
    2. It's not a "multiple consecutive nights" thing if avoidable (sometimes they're sick or have lots of nightmares)

My daughter is usually the one that wants in these days, so worst comes to worst I sleep in her bed with her as she already has a full and her bed is super comfy. Then we all get sleep.

We are on a vacation at a cabin right now and my wife is sleeping with the 4 year old and I've got the 20 month old and Christ this kid just hurls himself around the bed while asleep at night.

At one point he got onto his hands and knees. Forehead on the mattress and steam plowed across the bed and ran into the headboard.

No wonder kids need cribs.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Kiddo lost another tooth finally. It's a front top one so she looks goofy every time she smiles. I love it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Finally found a gap in winter illness to go get Ellie her flu vaccine.

she did really really well, compared to the covid jab in which she kicked the vaccinator and screamed for about 20 minutes before the shot.

She still cried and tried to tell the Nurse to "stop stop stop stop stop" but she didn't actually move her arm at all and was overall ok.

Must have been the bribe of ice cream and bubble tea after.

of course now she has a cough and a runny nose, so she's home from school with me.

Finally found a gap in winter illness to go get Ellie her flu vaccine.

she did really really well, compared to the covid jab in which she kicked the vaccinator and screamed for about 20 minutes before the shot.

She still cried and tried to tell the Nurse to "stop stop stop stop stop" but she didn't actually move her arm at all and was overall ok.

Must have been the bribe of ice cream and bubble tea after.

of course now she has a cough and a runny nose, so she's home from school with me.

I've bribed my kids for every shot with a smoothie on the way home and I regret NOTHING

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Is it bribery if you want a smoothie too or is it just bonding? Who's to say?

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Is it bribery if you want a smoothie too or is it just bonding? Who's to say?

I have long since realized that when my Dad agreed to get my brother and I ICEEs at K-Mart everytime we went there the part where he also got one wasn't a coincidence.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Athena was fine all day long, and the. At 330pm she suddenly became stuffy, feverish, and said her mouth hurt to the point of tears.

Is this probably tooth stuff?

Edit: Gave her some Tylenol for the pain and she's passed the fuck out. I won't be able to go more than a few feet away because I'm going to be paranoid that something will happen and I won't be there to help

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Athena was fine all day long, and the. At 330pm she suddenly became stuffy, feverish, and said her mouth hurt to the point of tears.

Is this probably tooth stuff?

Edit: Gave her some Tylenol for the pain and she's passed the fuck out. I won't be able to go more than a few feet away because I'm going to be paranoid that something will happen and I won't be there to help

She'll be fine. A little pain relief goes a long way.

Sounds like tooth pain, but the symptoms also lean to like any sinus / head cold.

Either way just keep the Tylenol coming.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I have been staying calm about language while the world seems to always make me feel like my kiddo is behind. You folks always make me feel so much better, but it still nags at me that he's 17 months and really doesn't use words. Gestures, points, communicates like crazy - but outside of mama and Dada really says no words.

Last week he randomly picks up one of his toy cars, walks up to me and goes BOOOOOO.

Yeah buddy, sure! Boooooo! Fun noise, what a fun car.

He points at it. Looks at me.

BOOOOOOOOOOO.

...and then I realized it was a blue car.

I am so. Proud.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Here's my regular reminder that Ripley didn't even attempt to stand up, let alone speak, until she was eighteen months old.

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Lore was around 18 months before she really made any attempt at words, now a year later she's forming complete sentences and narrating everything that's happening around her.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I have been staying calm about language while the world seems to always make me feel like my kiddo is behind. You folks always make me feel so much better, but it still nags at me that he's 17 months and really doesn't use words. Gestures, points, communicates like crazy - but outside of mama and Dada really says no words.

Last week he randomly picks up one of his toy cars, walks up to me and goes BOOOOOO.

BOOOOOOOOOOO.

I am so. Proud.

Yeah, our son didn't really speak until we refused to get him things through grunting and pointing. His language still falls off when he's tired (today he called his bike gloves "hand"+*frantically waving them in the air*), but language is a necessity thing. Also, the more physical they are, at least with my kids, the less they use words as they can either solve the problem themselves or prefer pantomime communication.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

BOOOOOOOOOOO.

I am so. Proud.

My son is almost 6, non-verbal autistic, and he can read just fine, understands exactly what we're talking about, and would much rather point to what he wants or just do it himself rather than talk.

He is drastically brilliant in some ways, and not in others. He learned addition, subtraction, and multiplication (and some division) over a single month of watching NumberBlocks. He does math in the triple digits, and if it's numbers I can get him to say any number. But general conversation? Nope. Telling me his needs? Nah, he'd rather try and get it all himself. It's very complicated, but he's my little buddy and I wouldn't trade him for the world.

What I'm saying is even if that's as far as they get, don't assume they're not smart. We hold language very high on the ladder of "is intelligent", but my dude is amazingly bright and doesn't like to talk unless he's forced to. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. But also, be proud! Watching the kids "get it" is very rewarding.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Kid is turning 6 and we're planning the kids party at an indoor playground. I underestimated how much stress this would give me. One parent cancelled today and I just found out I forgot to invite someone else. I only invited 6 kids because I'll have to do this solo and managing six kids sounds about the max I could handle. But if it turns out that only 4 kids can go... then that's a bit of a bummer!

I'm already dealing with my own brain spiders about friendship (I had zero friends for a long while), so this is doing a number on me and it takes effort not to project my experiences on my kid.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Kid is turning 6 and we're planning the kids party at an indoor playground. I underestimated how much stress this would give me. One parent cancelled today and I just found out I forgot to invite someone else. I only invited 6 kids because I'll have to do this solo and managing six kids sounds about the max I could handle. But if it turns out that only 4 kids can go... then that's a bit of a bummer!

I'm already dealing with my own brain spiders about friendship (I had zero friends for a long while), so this is doing a number on me and it takes effort not to project my experiences on my kid.

You can handle it. Use a macro approach to watch the whole field instead of individual kids. And I wouldn't worry about the lack of friends at this age. Having 3-4 extra kids around for the party will be great.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Thanks MNC.

Back up to 5 kids, this should be fine.

Yo hold up you're doing this solo? Like, this is a drop-off party the other kids parents aren't sticking around? I don't know what age that starts where you are but the last 7-year-old birthday party I went to had almost a 1:1 adult to kid ratio (some had more than one parent stay, the birthday kid's fun aunt was there, but also some siblings showed up).
    I mean if you signed up to watch 6 kids to give some parents an hour+ of free babysitting good on ya.

edited August 2022
    Thro wrote: »

Yo hold up you're doing this solo? Like, this is a drop-off party the other kids parents aren't sticking around? I don't know what age that starts where you are but the last 7-year-old birthday party I went to had almost a 1:1 adult to kid ratio (some had more than one parent stay, the birthday kid's fun aunt was there, but also some siblings showed up).
    I mean if you signed up to watch 6 kids to give some parents an hour+ of free babysitting good on ya.

Uh, from age 4 and up. It's not really babysitting when they're potty-trained IMO.

*Edit:
    the party was a success. Thankfully my partner was having an OK day and could join us. The kids had a good time.

Aldo on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Took Sapling to a trampoline park today. It was a ton of fun, but I feel as old as she likes to imply I look. Which, apparently I've been starting to go a little grey, and she keeps asking me why I am so old.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Took Sapling to a trampoline park today. It was a ton of fun, but I feel as old as she likes to imply I look. Which, apparently I've been starting to go a little grey, and she keeps asking me why I am so old.

Our daughter moved up from the toddler room to the preschool room about a week and a half ago, so none of the kids are really familiar with our faces yet. My wife, who is younger than me by a couple years and hasn't even begun to grey yet, went to pick her up on Monday and, well, I'll quote the text she sent me:
    To the kid who said "someone's grandma is here" when I was picking Bea...fuck all the way off 😂😂😂

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Woo packing to be a parent supervisor for a week long school camp of 150 9/10-year-olds.

I give about 50/50 odds between making a kid cry and teaching a kid some novel swear words.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I bet if you give it a little effort you can combine the two

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Woo packing to be a parent supervisor for a week long school camp of 150 9/10-year-olds.

I give about 50/50 odds between making a kid cry and teaching a kid some novel swear words.

The thought of school camp terrifies me.

I've got 3 years to get used to the idea I guess.

Have fun!

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Taking my daughter to PAX this Friday (one day only). We'll be using public transportation to/from the event. Plan on bringing some water, lunch, and snacks. Already got a ticket to play the Splatoon 3 demo (she's into Splatoon 2 right now). Any other things I might want to consider?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I don't think she got enough sleep at kindergarden today.

During dinner:
    You close your eyes are you tired?
    - no, just want to do that.
    Are you finished?
    - no, I want to be fed.

Lays her head on the table and immediately falls asleep two hours before her usual bedtime

honovere on
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    The boy actually deliberately sat on his toilet-style dpotty last night and deliberately did a (small) wee.
    We basically threw a parade.

Then he melted down trying to get ready for bed.

Parenting eh?

New school year with new app-group of parents from Little King's class... this year we're sharing pictures of ourselves with our kids so we all have a sense of who everyone is.

Only half these parents only have heavily beauty-filtered pictures of themselves with their kids, so I still have no idea what they actually look like.

What a time to be alive

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My child has apparently resorted to emotional manipulation. When told by her grandmother that no, she won’t buy her a necklace, she responded with, my aunt buys me necklaces.

Apparently she’s also telling people, “Daddy buys me ice cream” when she gets told no to ice cream.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    In a way it's good, it indicates a step forward in her ability to think of creative solutions for her problems, you just get to take another step in the endless process of teaching her to use her powers for good.