As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] Wizzing Toys for Everyone

• ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    My Top 4 BG Finish quest came back last night; didn't need to download an update on mobile. Hopefully everyone else gets/got (grammar?) them back.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Also, Runestone buying is a joke. It's cheaper overall (a few pennies) to get 500 Runestones than the other plans. You buy in bulk and you're paying a little more? You're that desperate for the pennies so you can't even offer a bit less?

500 - $4.99
    1000 - $9.99
    1500 - $14.99
    2000 - $19.99
    5000 - $49.99
    8000 - $79.99

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Frankly, that setup is far more preferable and (shockingly) player-friendly than the typical "BEST VALUE!!!11" bulk discount shit.

The pennies discount is just natural fallout from the ridiculous 99 cent pricing practice.

forty on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I like the look of the new card back this month.

• Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Frankly, that setup is far more preferable and (shockingly) player-friendly than the typical "BEST VALUE!!!11" bulk discount shit.

The pennies discount is just natural fallout from the ridiculous 99 cent pricing practice.

Hate to break this to you but the BEST VALUE nonsense is baked into the pack bundle prices. This is a strictly non-player-friendly zone.

Another issue with this patch, the annoying "never-disappearing quest indicator on the Journal" bug is back yet again.

Airking850 wrote: »

Hate to break this to you but the BEST VALUE nonsense is baked into the pack bundle prices. This is a strictly non-player-friendly zone.
    I mean I don't buy them so I don't really care, and they were always priced that way so have nothing to do with the new Runestone pricing.

I think Runestones are stupid, but I'd prefer that they're priced 1:1 and not bulk discounted.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Airking850 wrote: »
    Might be worth waiting until the next balance patch. Maybe something new will emerge that catches your eye?

I've been climbing with aggro Druid and it's pretty fun as far as aggro decks go. Aggro vs aggro matchups are particularly fun and lead to interesting lines, especially when there are Troggs on both sides of the board. There are feelsbad games where you never have a chance to gain momentum because your hand doesn't come together or your opponent has all the right answers, but those aren't too common, and that's just the aggro life.

Let me tell you, I should have.

Kibler put together an interesting totem deck and he won a lot of games with it, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I wanted to do something more proactive this season, and I need shaman wins anyway.

Boy, that deck sucks.

Even with all the additional support, totems still just sit there and do absolutely nothing for most of the game. 2- and 3-health minions are so easy to kill in this meta, which basically guarantees totems aren't sticking to the board. And even though I have Crossroads Watch Post to protect against classes like mage and druid, that card is useless unless you've already managed to stick a board... which is next to impossible against mages and druids. Even the payoff cards, Stonewright and Totem Golem, don't really do anything impactful.

So yeah, I'm regretting crafting the cards I needed to do that. Thankfully I still have 5.5k dust to play with, but I am pretty annoyed to say the least.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    It's a little better in Wild since you can go pure Even and start churning them out a little faster.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Quests can lead to some absurd boards like THREE Golden Elizas

896vbwo1vu31.png

• RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    It's actually impressive to me how the Hearthstone dev team can so readily construct metas in both constructed and battlegrounds that are just so consistently unfun to play against. Constructed in particular is back to making it impossible to stick any kind of board for more than a turn or two, as Priests, Druids, and Rogues just get to constantly clear everything over and over (while hiding behind big taunts and healing back up for the former two, and just killing you dead for the latter).

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    It's actually impressive to me how the Hearthstone dev team can so readily construct metas in both constructed and battlegrounds that are just so consistently unfun to play against. Constructed in particular is back to making it impossible to stick any kind of board for more than a turn or two, as Priests, Druids, and Rogues just get to constantly clear everything over and over (while hiding behind big taunts and healing back up for the former two, and just killing you dead for the latter).

For me the worst part about rogues isn't even the board clears, it's just that I watch them play the game like I'm not even there. Miracle Rogue, Bomb Rogue, just the dumbest decks to play against. Same with druid and quest hunter. Draw cards forever, clear board forever, drop the thing that kills the other person after they've been able to do nothing to stop you.

Remember when druids couldn't deal with more than 3 minions, or a single giant minion? Now they are the class that does everything. They even have a really good aggro deck right now.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Played a Druid down to fatigue while I was mage with 19 cards left in my deck, he’s got 4 total cards in hand, one of which is Sire Dene he copied from Zola, which is funny because earlier in the game I had A) stolen his brann with theotar and B) eaten 1 Sire with Mutanus.

Out of of the 4 cards left in his hand, 3 were 30+ infused Sire’s. He had one original, one Zola copy, and 3 moonlight copies. 3rd moonlight copy was from the 1 mana discover a spell. Also find it fun that Zola copies the infuse level, not the baseline card.

Why the fuck can Sire hit face again?

ronzo on
    ronzo wrote: »
    Also find it fun that Zola copies the infuse level, not the baseline card.
    This is just the inevitable consequence of Infuse being programmed as transforming the card to a completely new one with no tie back to its original form (a la Corrupted/Evolve).

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

For me the worst part about rogues isn't even the board clears, it's just that I watch them play the game like I'm not even there. Miracle Rogue, Bomb Rogue, just the dumbest decks to play against. Same with druid and quest hunter. Draw cards forever, clear board forever, drop the thing that kills the other person after they've been able to do nothing to stop you.

Remember when druids couldn't deal with more than 3 minions, or a single giant minion? Now they are the class that does everything. They even have a really good aggro deck right now.

That seems to happen to druid a lot

Apparently Battlegrounds monetization wasn't enough to fix this longstanding problem in this small indie game:

yat3tztu02jp.png

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I played Battlegrounds for the first time since the actual patch. About three games, I think, cause the game decided to flip the absolute fuck out just because I happened to have the utter gall to try and swap to a different screen on my phone for one (1) second

I think I'm fuckin' done with Battlegrounds lmao. This shit is fucking horrendous. This is the worst BG meta I've ever seen. Like, aside from the whole Battle Pass Rewards Track debacle, even, like EXCLUDING THAT for like one sec. This Quest bullshit? Fucking horrendous. I have never seen something so ridiculously goddamn RNG game-swinging in my life. Buddies, as atrocious as they were, were consistent. Same thing every time. Some were OP, some were underpowered, sure. But this, jesus. Just fucking throw the goddamn wheel to RNGesus and hope your opponent doesn't highroll a good Quest.

Man, fuck this. BGs were like my go-to timewaster if I was waiting around with nothing to and oopsie poopsie they fucked it.

edit: also holy fucking shit let's talk about the REWARDS TRACK BATTLE PASS LMFAO THIS SHIT DUDE like. like okay we all know the obvious part about how they're paywalling off being able to pick 4 heroes, that's obvious. what's REALLY funny to me is they show you the Rewards Track, you level up and everything, and then OOPSIE POOPSIES you don't GET ANYTHING for These Five Levels because they're fucking paywalled

it's the most Feel Bad shit in the universe, like they are dangling this carrot in front of you just out of reach. at least for the constructed Rewards Track you still get shit every level. lol. just lol.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    Dibby wrote: »
    I played Battlegrounds for the first time since the actual patch. About three games, I think, cause the game decided to flip the absolute fuck out just because I happened to have the utter gall to try and swap to a different screen on my phone for one (1) second

I think I'm fuckin' done with Battlegrounds lmao. This shit is fucking horrendous. This is the worst BG meta I've ever seen. Like, aside from the whole Battle Pass Rewards Track debacle, even, like EXCLUDING THAT for like one sec. This Quest bullshit? Fucking horrendous. I have never seen something so ridiculously goddamn RNG game-swinging in my life. Buddies, as atrocious as they were, were consistent. Same thing every time. Some were OP, some were underpowered, sure. But this, jesus. Just fucking throw the goddamn wheel to RNGesus and hope your opponent doesn't highroll a good Quest.

Man, fuck this. BGs were like my go-to timewaster if I was waiting around with nothing to and oopsie poopsie they fucked it.

edit: also holy fucking shit let's talk about the REWARDS TRACK BATTLE PASS LMFAO THIS SHIT DUDE like. like okay we all know the obvious part about how they're paywalling off being able to pick 4 heroes, that's obvious. what's REALLY funny to me is they show you the Rewards Track, you level up and everything, and then OOPSIE POOPSIES you don't GET ANYTHING for These Five Levels because they're fucking paywalled

it's the most Feel Bad shit in the universe, like they are dangling this carrot in front of you just out of reach. at least for the constructed Rewards Track you still get shit every level. lol. just lol.
    It gets even better, because every time you go to look at the rewards track, it starts your view back at level 1. Hit level 22 and want to claim your poverty reward? Gotta click through a few pages to get to your reward and, oh you dumb ape, it was actually level 23 when your next reward is available. Even the UX for being F2P is a fuck you.

At least the normal Hearthstone track has the courtesy to leave you at the spot where you last picked up your reward.

• RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    If ya'll had any hope left for Hearthstone UI after having seen what they did for Mercenaries, I don't know what to tell you honestly

Holy shit, is this a new tavern brawl!?

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Holy shit, is this a new tavern brawl!?

Good one to farm daily/weekly quests too.

Cooked Book + Anima Bribe = lmao

qZhGkCk.png

Cycling 250 stats per turn by the end there. Unfortunately this game ended pretty early so I didn't really get to abuse it, I was hoping it would drag more.

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Patch notes:

Wildheart Guff
    Old: Battlecry and Hero Power granted full mana crystals.
    New: Battlecry and Hero Power grant empty mana crystals.

Edwin, Defias Kingpin
    Old: [Costs 3] 3 Attack, 3 Health
    New: [Costs 4] 4 Attack, 4 Health

Arcane Burst (Magister Dawngrasp’s Hero Power)
    Old: Deal 2 damage. Honorable Kill: Gain +2 damage.
    New: Deal 2 damage. Honorable Kill: Gain +1 damage.

Nightcloak Sanctum
    Old: 3 Durability
    New: 2 Durability

Defend the Dwarven District (the first stage of the Hunter Questline)
    Old: Deal damage with 2 spells.
    New: Deal damage with 3 spells.

Kael’thas Sinstrider
    Old: [Costs 6]
    New: [Costs 8]

Smothering Starfish
    Old: [Costs 3]
    New: [Costs 4]

School Teacher
    Old: 4 Attack, 3 Health
    New: 4 Attack, 4 Health

Alliance Bannerman
    Old: 2 Attack, 1 Health
    New: 2 Attack, 2 Health

Armor Tier Changes
    Al’Akir, Alexstrasza, Murloc Holmes, and Patchwerk are now Armor Tier 1.
    Death Speaker Blackthorn, George the Fallen, Ini Stormcoil, Silas Darkmoon, Tamsin Roame, Vol’jin, and Xyrella are now Armor Tier 2.
    Ambassador Faelin, Cariel Roame, Deathwing, Elise Starseeker, Heistbaron Togwaggle, Lord Barov, Jandice Barov, Maiev Shadowsong, Malygos, Nozdormu, Patches the Pirate, Reno Jackson, Shudderwock, Sir Finley Mrrgglton, Sneed, and Zephrys the Great are now Armor Tier 3.
    Dancin’ Deryl, Dinotamer Brann, Queen Azshara, Ragnaros the Firelord, and Y’Shaarj are now Armor Tier 4.
    A.F. Kay, Chenvaala, Galakrond, Greybough, Illidan Stormraige, Infinite Toki, Mr. Bigglesworth, Rakanishu, Skycap’n Kragg, Tess Greymane, and The Curator are now Armor Tier 5.
    Captain Eudora is now Armor Tier 6.
    C’Thun and Tavish Stormpike are now Armor Tier 7.

Toggwaggle – Perfect Crime
    Old: 9 Gold
    New: 10 Gold

Various minion adjustments

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    I really like the Guff nerf. Didn’t just go right to 6 mana (though I could still see that happening down the road).

Smothering nerf is going to hurt.

Damn, think I'm getting 3 legendaries worth of dust when that hits. Interesting that they partially undid the School Teacher nerf, since the card was still decent and still seeing play (and would probably see more with those nerfs hitting).

Also interesting that there wasn't a single direct nerf to Aggro Druid. Maybe they figure the other changes will shift the meta enough around it to keep it from being oppressive?

edited September 2022
    As a very casual BGs player who mostly engages with them via watching pros on Twitch, I actually like the quests. I think they add some nice variety to games and offer up some new, interesting ways to play and win games with the same ol' heroes and largely same ol' minion pool. They've made the streams more fun to watch, for sure.

I totally get how much it sucks to lowroll on your quest or get BTFO'd by someone who highrolled theirs, but BGs have always been a world of lowroll/highroll BTFO-fests, or getting royally fucked over by 5% chance outcomes, so I don't think quests have really changed things that much on that front. They're really just a new mechanism for getting to the highrolls that let someone destroy everyone else.

It looks like there was some quiet hotfix patch last week that adjusted some of the quests and rewards to (presumably) be more balanced (and completely yanked a couple from the pool that were causing issues, for now at least). So there's at least some indication that they're trying to stay on top of things to deal with the outliers.

forty on
    Kael being at 8 actually could be a buff to Quest Priest since it can be combo’d with a 1-2 cost minion to play the quest reward the same turn as you finish the quest.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Sinstrider discounts minions. The original discounted spells.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The quest reward is a minion.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    edited September 2022
    Right. You play Kael, which completes the quest and adds Xyrella, the Sanctified to your hand, then you play a 0/1/2 cost minion, Xyrella is now free instead of 5 mana and you’ve got a far better chance of avoiding counter play since you just blocked mutanus.

This wouldn’t have worked before because step 3 of the quest is a 7 and 8 cost card, 6 is part of step 2.

ronzo on
    edited September 2022
    Oh shit, I forgot my Guff is golden. Yeehaw!

Edit: Jesus, my Hunter quest is too. Cha ching!

forty on
    I think 8 mana Kael will still be too clunky for Quest Priests to try to run.

edited September 2022
    Kael could cost 17 and it would still be a problem since the issue is druids having 20 mana

ObiFett on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    They need to add some Villain cards that neutralize the effects of Hero cards.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Kael could cost 17 and it would still be a problem since the issue is druids having 20 mana

if you get to the point where the druid has 20 mana there's not a ton of combos that kael enables that wouldn't also be enabled by having 20 mana

liEt3nH.png
    17 mana Kael + 3 mana Brann + 0 mana Sire > 3 mana Brann + 10 mana Sire

Look, just let me complain about druids having 20 mana

edited September 2022
    Just came across this in a BG.

partner-in-crime-battlegrounds.jpg

Oh wow, it is insanely rare.

forty on
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Just came across this in a BG.

partner-in-crime-battlegrounds.jpg

Oh wow, it is insanely rare.

WHY DOES THIS EXIST

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    Man I've played a lot of battlegrounds since the patch and I have never seen that, for either me or as something any of the other participants picked.