As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War

15678911»

• Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If they ever brought the Ace Combat series to the 360, I'll be thrilled.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I tried to like Over G Fighters, but I hated that damn game, and it's lack of a training mode. I don't think I evaded a single missile in that game. There music is obnoxious too.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SolSol Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I want a PSP for Ace Combat X.

Sol on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sol wrote:
    I want Ace Combat X for any system besides the PSP

fix'd.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    defrag wrote:
    Sol wrote:
    I want Ace Combat X for any system besides the PSP

fix'd.

Haha indeed.

Sol on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Is Ace Combat a Sony Exclusive?

Also, does anyone have advice on how to not hate Over G?

Cantido on
  • Options
    DralloDrallo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cantido wrote:

I don't think its something that they have a legal agreement over.

But I think its the kind of thing that if Sony learned Namco were porting it, they would send a stern letter to their headquarters about how "dissapointed" they are about this decision.

That said, it may goto the Wii if it rapes Japan hard enough.

Its doubt it will ever goto the 360 though.

Drallo on
    katamarisig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hey guys the Usean kid says this in AC04.

"The lead plane of the five-plane formation should have turned the same arc with the same timing as the others... Yet only his plane drew sharp contrails. "

I've always wondered...what exactly does it mean that he drew sharp contrails? He was going faster? that makes him more awesome?

Sol on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cantido wrote:

Ace Combat is sony exclusive.

and Over G is just not enjoyable, at all. return it or trade it in.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sol wrote:
    I've always wondered...what exactly does it mean that he drew sharp contrails? He was going faster? that makes him more awesome?

Same timing and arc would imply the same speed. Basically, Thirteen is so awesome the laws of aerodynamics don't apply to him.

I'm on mission 15 now in AC04, and still loving it. Even the missions I expected to be really annoying from the briefing turned out to be fun. And the story sequences (the phrase "cutscene" doesn't do them justice) keep getting better and better.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I finished AC4 a while ago, which was utterly brilliant. And now I've got AC5. Finally unlocked my Block 60 F-16 8) and have made it up to Mission 20 now.

I like the game overall, but I do have one major complaint. Too many of the available aircraft are useless due to poor ammo supply or the wildly unpredictable nature of the mission. Even on the one mission that seemed perfectly suited to the A-10's strengths, a surprise came out of left field that made any even slightly sluggish airplane a suicidal choice.

Nagase doesn't annoy me, particularly. But I'm fed up with the obession Japanese writers seem to have these days with shadowy conspiracies and protagonists whose battle cry is "Let's end all war!"

Yeah, yeah, I know. Cultural thing. Revile war, but revere the warrior, and all that. Find a different way to reconcile these ambivalent feelings about war, that doesn't bore the hell out of the viewer/player and insult their intelligence.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tiemler wrote:
    Nagase doesn't annoy me, particularly. But I'm fed up with the obession Japanese writers seem to have these days with shadowy conspiracies and protagonists whose battle cry is "Let's end all war!"

Yeah, yeah, I know. Cultural thing. Revile war, but revere the warrior, and all that. Find a different way to reconcile these ambivalent feelings about war, that doesn't bore the hell out of the viewer/player and insult their intelligence.

Maybe its just me but I thought Zero did this flawlessly. I absolutely loved the interviews with Pixy. Really helped to connect to that character even though we never even see his face and for 99% of the game hes just that other plane.

Also maybe the fact that he wasn't absolutely useless helped too..

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited January 2007

The story went downhill the moment I heard the word "demon."

Cantido on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The cutscenes in Zero were laughable IMO. The live video made them seem cheap and tacky, none of the people could act or even emote worth a damn and the "plot", such as it was, was by and large totally uninteresting. The game did have several pretty good set pieces, but their effectiveness was pretty much in the moment, as it were - I never thought "OMG? WTF? So now this means this is going to happen, and that means this thing is going to happen..." or anything, it was merely "Oh, hey, that's kind of cool." I enjoyed it (though I still haven't finished it - fucking Death Star missions! <_< ) but it makes 4, and even 5, look like Dostoevsky.

4's storytelling was awkward, cliched, seems horribly obvious in retrospect and indeed I'm not even sure how the hell I fell for it the first time round, but still, for the sheer emotional punch to the gut when you realise

[realspoiler:014b7fda07]the kid's rooting for the "villain", not for you... and you just killed his hero[/realspoiler:014b7fda07]

I harbour more admiration for that game than so many others.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PunkBoy wrote:
    If they ever brought the Ace Combat series to the 360 with flight stick support, I'll be thrilled.

fix'd (lot of that going around).

I'm one of those minorities around here that find 5 to be the best in the series. -shrug-

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Shadowfire wrote:
    PunkBoy wrote:
    If they ever brought the Ace Combat series to the 360 with flight stick support, I'll be thrilled.

fix'd (lot of that going around).

I'm one of those minorities around here that find 5 to be the best in the series. -shrug-

I just finished Zero for the first time, and I say it's a close tie between the two. I really enjoyed the documentary style presentation of Zero, and thought the live actors did a fine job. The ending was simple, but I thought it worked great:

[realspoiler:a23ab7a572] "Yo buddy. Still alive?"[/realspoiler:a23ab7a572]

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ace combat zero tournament at magfest this weekend. I'll take you all on at once.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ace combat zero tournament at magfest this weekend. I'll take you all on at once.

Magazine Festival?

Sol on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sol wrote:

Magazine Festival?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073838396&highlight=magfest

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tiemler wrote:

Nagase annoyed me but I guess it's due to the whole "War is stupid, so why do we do it?" deal. I've seen that particular stereotype in too many animes and mangas so I've gotten quite sick of it.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love how this thread never dies. :o I should just edit it to encompass all the Ace Combat games, and update it with Ace Combat X which was just released on the PSP not long ago. It's a pretty good Ace Combat game, actually, and you should definitely pick it up if you've got the system.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I liked how completely different missions could be depending on how you did previous ones. But the story pales compared to Zero or 4.

They need to make a new Ace Combat game bad... :cry:

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Dashui wrote:
    I love how this thread never dies. :o I should just edit it to encompass all the Ace Combat games, and update it with Ace Combat X which was just released on the PSP not long ago. It's a pretty good Ace Combat game, actually, and you should definitely pick it up if you've got the system.

"This thread will survive, Galm 1!"

Sorry...had to.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PunkBoy wrote:

Sorry...had to.

I hope so. All my rock n' roll is down there.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Tiemler wrote:
    PunkBoy wrote:

Sorry...had to.

It would also be a nice birthday gift.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PunkBoy wrote:
    Tiemler wrote:
    PunkBoy wrote:

Sorry...had to.

It would also be a nice birthday gift.

uh...

...This is Sky Eye.

Sol on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    All right, back to discussing the games... :)

Finally unlocked Ace Mode last night in Zero. I hope to finish out the Assault Record soon. It's kinda fun reading about the histories of various pilots you've fought. Speaking of which, I found another possible reference to 5. One of the aces you shoot down is an undercover female Yuktobanian intelligence agent. I'm thinking that could have been the Major.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Apparently in one mission you see Heartbreaker and Huckbein fighting off an enemy squadron.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    As enamored with chivalrous air battles, close-in dogfighting, and larger-than-life aces as they are, the team behind Ace Combat really needs to get working on a WWI game.

Not set in the Close Combat world, though. WWI gets so little play in the game industry as it is, that it'd be a shame to replace it with a conflict between fictional world powers.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Tiemler wrote:
    As enamored with chivalrous air battles, close-in dogfighting, and larger-than-life aces as they are, the team behind Ace Combat really needs to get working on a WWI game.

Not set in the Close Combat world, though. WWI gets so little play in the game industry as it is, that it'd be a shame to replace it with a conflict between fictional world powers.

I can't even imagine what kind of super weapons there would be...

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PunkBoy wrote:
    Tiemler wrote:

snoopy.jpg

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PunkBoy wrote:

I was thinking more of a straight-up WWI game. Something set in an earlier period in the Ace Combat world history might be cool, too, though.

Anyway, I just finished up Ace Combat 5. The last mission, or rather, the penultimate sortie [spoiler:7337ae07e1]with the tunnel run that makes AC4's subterranean aerobatics look wussy as hell in comparison[/spoiler:7337ae07e1] made me a nervous wreck. Took a while to calm down after completing that one.

It was definitely more challenging than AC4. I still like the storytelling in that one better than AC5, and I never really warmed up to the characters in Unsung War, apart from the badass President. But the feeling of accomplishment was greater here.

But the part with all the interruptions bugged the shit outta me. "Hey, we like that song, too!" Ohhhhh, good. And then after a couple minutes of this, I'm finally lining up on a target, and I hear, "I'll brief you now." ARRRGHH!

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Tiemler wrote:
    PunkBoy wrote:

I was thinking more of a straight-up WWI game. Something set in an earlier period in the Ace Combat world history might be cool, too, though.

Anyway, I just finished up Ace Combat 5. The last mission, or rather, the penultimate sortie [spoiler:e9e50c5eee]with the tunnel run that makes AC4's subterranean aerobatics look wussy as hell in comparison[/spoiler:e9e50c5eee] made me a nervous wreck. Took a while to calm down after completing that one.

It was definitely more challenging than AC4. I still like the storytelling in that one better than AC5, and I never really warmed up to the characters in Unsung War, apart from the badass President. But the feeling of accomplishment was greater here.

But the part with all the interruptions bugged the shit outta me. "Hey, we like that song, too!" Ohhhhh, good. And then after a couple minutes of this, I'm finally lining up on a target, and I hear, "I'll brief you now." ARRRGHH!

Yeah, I have to agree that the beginning of "Aces" can be annoying, especially when I have to keep on re-trying it.

And I also agree on the president. Thinking about it, pretty much every character in 5 has at least one badass quality about him/her. He was definitely a bad enough president to save his country.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [spoiler:a573eb0690]I wish Harding was OUR president.[/spoiler:a573eb0690] :lol:

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Woohoo! Just beat Mobius in the Gauntlet with a Typhoon!

That's truly an epic mission.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Just got Zero, after beating AC4 and beating AC5 a couple times and unlocking all the non-fictional planes in that one. I'm 12 missions in, and a bit surprised how fast the campaign is sailing by. Something tells me I won't get the same replay value out of this one as AC5. But I'm enjoying it.

Playing on Hard difficulty, things could get pretty hairy until I worked up enough cash to buy the SU-37. In my F-16C, the missle warning would instantly light up if I went vertical, so I had to either try and turn inside the enemy, which is nearly impossible in a conventional fighter, as opposed to the thrust-vectoring superfighters, or do a Split-S and watch which way the enemy breaks.

Attacking ground targets is kind of a pain in the ass, because there are so many yellow targets, the optional ones that don't shoot back and are just there for score and Ace Style rating. I'll be trying to target a mission-critical objective or a SAM launcher, and it keeps locking onto a truck or something.

It is nice having a wingman who knows what the hell he's doing and isn't just there for me to rescue, however.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It may be just me, but I found Ace difficulty in Zero to be a lot harder than Ace in either 04 or 5.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PunkBoy wrote:
    It may be just me, but I found Ace difficulty in Zero to be a lot harder than Ace in either 04 or 5.

I just beat it tonight on Hard, and I can believe that the few tough fights would be really, really harsh on Ace, as tenacious as the missles are, especially the SAMs. However, the more straight-forward mission design and the shorter campaign made Zero seem easier than AC5.

I'll eventually replay it for Mercenary and Soldier ace styles, but I'll probably do so on Normal, and just use less uber-powerful fighters to put the challenge back into it. No Su-37, no F/A-22, etc.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    WHY wrote:
    PunkBoy wrote:
    Tiemler wrote:

snoopy.jpg
    Heh, but seriously I would love for them to make a WWI or WWII game. Mmm, I always loved WWII flight sims but I can see them taking a WWI game on much better.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    WHY wrote:
    PunkBoy wrote:
    Tiemler wrote:

snoopy.jpg
    Heh, but seriously I would love for them to make a WWI or WWII game. Mmm, I always loved WWII flight sims but I can see them taking a WWI game on much better.

I don't think we've ever seen any really large/good WW1 games in general. I'd like to see that. And Blazing Angels is basically Ace Combat WW2, minus just a little bit of the dramatics of Ace Combat. It's still a good game, and the gameplay is basically the same. Worth looking into if you like these type of games.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166