As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Lexcalibur

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Lexcalibur!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Lexcalibur

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    Jean-LucJean-Luc Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    It's over kid, nothing personal.

Jean-Luc on
  • Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    Is this another omen of the robot uprising? I'm starting to think it's possible.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I know this comic prides itself on not relying on punch lines, but man. This one ended like an actual punch to the gut. Even seeing where the comic was going, the last line got me completely off guard.

RatherDashing89 on
  • Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I'd hold the guffaws. AI engineers aren't going to stop at just visual arts, they'll keep iterating and iterating. And the only thing the masses will be "freed up" from is having an income stream.

Overkillengine on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Yeah capitalism ain't great at actually taking care of people.

• Options
    Obsoleted workers under other systems would get reclassed as Useless Eaters with a quickness too, and it's naive to pretend otherwise.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Obsoleted workers under other systems would get reclassed as Useless Eaters with a quickness too, and it's naive to pretend otherwise.

Like I said, capitalism sucks.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Seems like an odd title for the strip.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Lexicon + Excalibur = Tycho now wields the word sword to destroy his foe, artists

Or maybe it's meant to be cross promotion for Jerry's poetry elsewhere and was mistitled, who knows

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Lexicon + Excalibur = Tycho now wields the word sword to destroy his foe, artists

Or maybe it's meant to be cross promotion for Jerry's poetry elsewhere and was mistitled, who knows

Yeah, the latter is what I was thinking. Lexcalibur means a very specific thing in PA world, after all.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Yeah capitalism ain't great at actually taking care of people.

The funny thing is, right now automation is a huge threat because we have this idea that there have to be enough jobs to go around so we can justify feeding everyone (instead of just feeding everyone because we have plenty and we think people inherently deserve to not starve:and automation would, in fact, help us to have even more plenty of everything we need).

But in addition to that, if we were in a system that rewarded Value instead of just Products, the AI creative works would probably fade away, because humans are still way better at creating things that are Valuable rather than just churning out "content". (And by the time AI can create real art with meaning, they'll basically be people anyway and entitled to their own shot at the art world).

• Options
    Armored ChocoboArmored Chocobo Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I think the question we should be asking is why an art contest allowed someone to use AI-generated art.
    I'd hold the guffaws. AI engineers aren't going to stop at just visual arts, they'll keep iterating and iterating. And the only thing the masses will be "freed up" from is having an income stream.

Gee if we could just assemble a societal structure that doesn't measure one's usefulness or lifestyle based on an income.

Armored Chocobo on
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Yes surely the class that controls the automation and thus the near totality of resources will share purely out of the goodness of their own heart once vast swaths of humanity are no longer useful to them. And none of them will ever be tempted to abuse the power such control represents in any sort of way, ever.

And if you vote, believe, and #hashtag hard enough, surely the government will side with the impoverished masses that no longer can compete economically with the AI barons, instead of the you know, the people that control the best resource production that made everyone else irrelevant economically.

Naive.

Overkillengine on
  • Options
    See, the thing is, people who are saying the problem is capitalism are probably suggesting an alternative that doesn't *have* a class controlling the automation or the resource production. Or, you know, classes... I really have no idea who you are trying to make fun of, really.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Joke's on Tycho; AI will be writing the prompts and the comics, too.

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Joke's on Tycho; AI will be writing the prompts and the comics, too.

Techbros being douches? I'm shocked!

• Options
    edited September 2022
    I think the question we should be asking is why an art contest allowed someone to use AI-generated art.

Philosophy aside, the real answer is because they didn't really know it existed. It's like singing contests before you could do all sorts of things to recorded audio to make it sound more "perfect", without the person having that natural talent. Or bicycle racing contests, before they found out that you could give yourself a blood transfusion to improve your performance. It's a pretty old story, really.

dennis on
  • Options
    See, the thing is, people who are saying the problem is capitalism are probably suggesting an alternative that doesn't *have* a class controlling the automation or the resource production. Or, you know, classes... I really have no idea who you are trying to make fun of, really.

Yes yes and everyone will get to have a pony made of diamonds too. 🙄

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited September 2022

I don't get it. No pony who was born was ever made out of diamond. How would its organs work? It couldn't live! And if you instead carve a pony out an actual diamond, it wouldn't live either.

Djiem on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »

I don't get it. No pony who was born was ever made out of diamond. How would its organs work? It couldn't live! And if you instead carve a pony out an actual diamond, it wouldn't live either.

Even if you don't require it to be a living functional pony that'd be very uncomfortable to sit on.

steam_sig.png