As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Kissytown

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Kissytown!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Kissytown

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Huh, what a strange joke about masculinity, thought they had moved way past this kind of humor at this point.

• Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    Sometimes I ask myself if I even had a real childhoood without any sexual diversity.

• JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Huh, what a strange joke about masculinity, thought they had moved way past this kind of humor at this point.

What's strange about it?

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Jortalus wrote: »

What's strange about it?

They're both ashamed they made their toys kiss when they were kids. What's there to be ashamed of, exactly? Are they so sensitive about having played with toys in a way generally associated with how girls play with their toys? I think it's a strange comic for Penny Arcade in 2022, because they have generally moved away from repeating these kinds of gender stereotypes.

Aldo on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Jortalus wrote: »

What's strange about it?

They're both ashamed they made their toys kiss when they were kids. What's there to be ashamed of, exactly? Are they so sensitive about having played with toys in a way generally associated with how girls play with their toys? I think it's a strange comic for Penny Arcade in 2022, because they have generally moved away from repeating these kinds of gender stereotypes.

Yeah, I’m pretty surprised to see gender stereotypes and vague homophobia in a PA comic these days. But, here we are.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I don't see it as either one of those things.

I see it as them both coming to the realization that they both did those things as kids. Seems more like tearing down of those concepts more than reinforcing them.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I don't see it as either one of those things.

I see it as them both coming to the realization that they both did those things as kids. Seems more like tearing down of those concepts more than reinforcing them.

Yeah, I saw it more as mockery. The characters both say stuff all the time that's the opposite of what the authors believe, not because they believe it but because you are supposed to agree with them that the character was wrong.

Like this old nugget:
    cgqb7q6wzd4p.png
    That was from... let me check my notes.. right. Two days ago.

dennis on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    How Optimus is going to kiss anyone with the faceplace is beyond me.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

ixjpgmmitjkf.png
    Try and tell me these aren't the most kissable of robo-lips.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Those lips are not contemporary with the GI Joes of Gabe and Tycho's youth!

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

True, but Optmus still had ports and pistons. I'm sure they could figure it out.

Otherwise Duke can just come inside the truck cabin.

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    The important thing to remember is that GI Joe does not kiss Optimus Prime in winter; his tongue and lips will get stuck.

Djiem on

Ah, but Beast Wars was probably not too late...

to4tcrkxhm7q.png

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

ixjpgmmitjkf.png
    Try and tell me these aren't the most kissable of robo-lips.

"Give me your face" is the quote, I believe.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    The heart Matrix of Leadership wants what the Matrix of Leadership wants

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    It's kind of sad what this comic says about how guys have to repress certain types of play, or showing certain emotions. You don't tend to think about it until you see something like this, it's so ingrained in our culture.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Your daily reminder to smash the patriarchy. It wounds men too.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Your daily reminder to smash the patriarchy. It wounds men too.
    Have the patriarchy smash themselves. In the form of GI Joes smashing and smooching.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    It's kind of sad what this comic says about how guys have to repress certain types of play, or showing certain emotions. You don't tend to think about it until you see something like this, it's so ingrained in our culture.

Most everyone puts up a false front here and there. And the ones who claim they never do are probably lying to themselves.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »

Most everyone puts up a false front here and there. And the ones who claim they never do are probably lying to themselves.

Reading the newspost about this strip, it sounds like Jerry didn't care much as a kid when he was playing with his sister.

edited September 2022
    MarcinMN wrote: »

Enh, I wouldn't go that far. My family wasn't big on enforcing traditional gender roles, but it just never occurred to me to have my toys kissing and such. At least, that's my foggy memory. I'm not really big into traditional gender roles myself (again, probably at least party as a result of very little enforcement of it in childhood), and don't really "perform" my gender. Maybe in my case it just had more to do with me being oblivious of romance at that age (and much further, unfortunately).

dennis on
  • Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular
    Talking about kissing and Transformers in the same sentence reminded me of the existence of things. Things the world does not need to remember.

I don't remember making my toys kiss as a kid, though more because it wasn't really the "plot" of my games.(and the idea that a robot could kiss never occurred to me back then). I wouldn't have been against it on principle.

Now about the point of the comic (which wasn't necessarily Optimus Kissing or not kissing Joe), i dunno... i feel "the magic" is kinda lost when every single character in existence appears in the same thing. There's not the same level of excitement as with a actual crossover.

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    The way I see it, the joke is that they feel ashamed by something innocuous they both did. Traditional masculinity is the punchline.