As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    To be fair, the A15 is about 5x the processor that the vast majority of normal humans could ever take advantage of in their phone, so I get it. There really isn’t just that much left to innovate or dramatically upgrade in phones these days, aside from form factor stuff, which is where Apple tends to move the slowest.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    To be fair, the A15 is about 5x the processor that the vast majority of normal humans could ever take advantage of in their phone, so I get it. There really isn’t just that much left to innovate or dramatically upgrade in phones these days, aside from form factor stuff, which is where Apple tends to move the slowest.

oh I 100% agree. most people do not need nearly as much proccessing power that the high end Apple A series (and also the Snapdragon 8 series in Android phones) provide.

But it will be a very interesting experiment to see what happens. For as much as people don't need the new thing, releasing a new thing with last years specs might not go over so well for the people who say "I want a new thing why does the new phoen not have the new thing"

And apple's answer has traditionally been to leave last year's model on the market as a cheaper option. Heck right now you can get an almost 3 year old iPhone 11 brand new in box still. What will the difference between an A15 iPhone 13 and an A15 iPhone 14 be? Will Apple even sell last year's model in that instance? I'm really curious to see how/where that goes if it is the case.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    We’ll see how this plays out, but I think I’m keeping my 12 Pro until it breaks or a properly interesting new form factor comes along. A solid foldable would be nice, but I also hope they move past replicating basic ideas from 20 years ago and get wild with the bendable screens in the next few years - clamshell really can’t be the only good idea we have.

OneAngryPossum on
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, I actually have 30 gigs monthly for free on my company phone, but I'd like to just... not drag work tools around with me everywhere. And the tethering is far from automatic in my experience, I frequently have to pick the phone up and glare at it until the other device manages to connect.

But eh, 5 bucks a month for 5 gigs of data, cheap enough to try to see if I make enough use of it.

Yeah that would not be 5 bucks here. Heh.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Yeah I hadn't kept up with smartphone advances (And to be honest I kind of checked out about 5 years ago when Winphone died and I went and bought a Samsung) for quite some time. I didn't know if something big had happened that would make general use a lot better.

I think I might upgrade whenever they finally get rid of the notch, or when my phone dies, or when they put out a color I love. Superficial stuff.

jungleroomx on
    Phones nowadays get like 10% better every year. Cameras get a bit better, screens get a bit nicer. year to year the upgrades aren't super significant but generally after 3 years or so, maybe 4, that's when you can *really* tell the difference in ways that are more tangible than benchmarks.

Heck, that's almost certainly why Apple changed the camera layout on the iPhone 13 to a diagonal layout instead of two lenses stacked that existed on the 11 and 12. That's the "hey this is the iPhone 13' feature.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Phones nowadays get like 10% better every year. Cameras get a bit better, screens get a bit nicer. year to year the upgrades aren't super significant but generally after 3 years or so, maybe 4, that's when you can *really* tell the difference in ways that are more tangible than benchmarks.

Heck, that's almost certainly why Apple changed the camera layout on the iPhone 13 to a diagonal layout instead of two lenses stacked that existed on the 11 and 12. That's the "hey this is the iPhone 13' feature.

Well, I got the pro, so mine's got... 3 lenses and 2 flash/IR/whatever ports, so I think the diagonal is also just leftover from "where tf do we put these..."

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I took me four+ years (and a battery replacement) to go from a 7 plus to a 12 pro. I think I’ll probably last as long with this one. I used to upgrade every other year but those days are gone, and my phone is my most used device by far.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    I'm on an X and besides photos it still does everything I want a phone to do, and it's battery is still solid. I am not a power user though. I'll probably upgrade in January when my wife's phone is paid off and while I can still get a decent re-sell on the X. I shoot for 4 year upgrade cycles on my i-devices and it's worked well so far.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited August 2022
    Same. My current thoughts are "if it's not going to lack a significant capability, or if the current performance/health is still fine, hell with it". I went most recently from an XS to a 13 Pro, because that was a significant feature set/perf bump just in terms of hardware. Unless your current phone is having trouble, or you really want some new hardware widget, I feel like there's no point these days.

dporowski on
    dporowski wrote: »

Well, I got the pro, so mine's got... 3 lenses and 2 flash/IR/whatever ports, so I think the diagonal is also just leftover from "where tf do we put these..."

the 13 pro's camera cluster is significantly bigger than the cameras on the 11 and 12 pro, so that's where the visual difference is.

the vanilla 13's cameras are on a diagonal just to make it look different than the 11 and 12.

the 13 pro's camera cluster is significantly bigger than the cameras on the 11 and 12 pro, so that's where the visual difference is.

the vanilla 13's cameras are on a diagonal just to make it look different than the 11 and 12.

Ah, I'd figured "no point in making two different backpiece widgets" so they just stuck the cameras in the corresponding places, even if there's not as many.

Ah, I'd figured "no point in making two different backpiece widgets" so they just stuck the cameras in the corresponding places, even if there's not as many.

yeah they're not even the same places if you were to compare them. Just an aesthetic thing.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I just paid off my iPad and canceled the line (I bought it back when it was out of reach, price wise) and I'm 6 months away from payments being over on my iPhone. I went from $185 a month to now $120 and soon $90.

• dylmandylman Registered User regular
    https://www.macrumors.com/2022/08/19/update-apple-devices-safari-security-flaw/

iOS 15.6.1 is out, patching a critical vulnerability in Safari that may already be exploited. Update and spread the word as per usual, we live in the best timeline.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Hey all. I'm thinking of switching the fam over to Apple from Android, mainly so daughter can message her friends and us easier w/ or w/out cell. Also kind of done with Google; the talk of lock screen ads isn't helping.

SO! We all technically have Pixels, a wife has a 3XL (2018) and I have a 4a 5G (2020), daughter is using my old 3 to listen to music and work for YouTube for free. The XL and 4a are both 6", don't think we'd want bigger than that, and perf is fine for us other than 3xl battery life going.

Thinking of 13s for wife and I, 13 mini for kid. Maybe Pro for us? Not sure if we'll add cell to the mini right away or not.

Do we need Pros, or better to get more storage on 13s? Or it's there a better recommendation? Appreciate it, thanks!

MichaelLC on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I would say the need for a Pro is mostly based on the extra hardware features like the better camera and the LiDAR Scanner more than anything else. Apple doesn’t sell hardware that can’t run the OS properly so the speed difference is going to be entirely on the apps and how optimised they are.
    What do you do with your phones day-to-day?

Also don’t forget that you can set up a Family account and have app install / in-app spend approval as well as the usual parental controls for your kid’s phone.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Thanks. Just mindless garbage browsing is main usage for us. She does do grocery (Walmart) and other shopping on her phone. If they've got an Android app I'm sure they have an Apple one. I'll confirm the main ones though.

Wife makes a lot more calls than i do, for work and personal; I'm sure that's also fine anywhere.

Yeah Android has had and added similar but sounds like iOS may be more integrated across devices and accounts. One of the pros for sure.

MichaelLC on
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    If you can wait a bit, Apple is going to announce this year’s new phones next week so then the 14s will be out and potentially prices will shuffle around as well. (Though the various rumour sites say there won’t be a 14 mini, for what that’s worth)

• KPCKPC Registered User regular
    I think that you can wait for next wednesday to see how it all shakes out. If you're more value-focused, then the base model iPhone 14 should be more than enough for most needs. I also think the Apple One family plan for iCloud+ is really good value: you get 200GB of cloud storage, AppleTV+, Arcade, and Apple Music that you can share across all accounts, with separate accounts for each. That's $20/month. There's a 2TB cloud storage tier that adds News+ and Fitness+ for $10/mo more, but I think that may represent less value. I would also recommend looking into signing up for an Apple Card and putting all your purchases on that; you can get zero interest payment options across 6, 12, and 24 months for all Apple products PLUS 5% cash back.

And then brace yourself for the Apple product creep. Good luck.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    KPC wrote: »
    I think that you can wait for next wednesday to see how it all shakes out. If you're more value-focused, then the base model iPhone 14 should be more than enough for most needs. I also think the Apple One family plan for iCloud+ is really good value: you get 200GB of cloud storage, AppleTV+, Arcade, and Apple Music that you can share across all accounts, with separate accounts for each. That's $20/month. There's a 2TB cloud storage tier that adds News+ and Fitness+ for $10/mo more, but I think that may represent less value. I would also recommend looking into signing up for an Apple Card and putting all your purchases on that; you can get zero interest payment options across 6, 12, and 24 months for all Apple products PLUS 5% cash back.

And then brace yourself for the Apple product creep. Good luck.

Ill say this, the integration between my iphone, watch and ipad is top notch.

edited September 2022
    I'm an iPhone/PC user.

The integration between Apple Music and iTunes through iTunes Match is *chef kiss* Just update the iCloud library and it appears on your phone in seconds. Beautiful.

If you're an old who continues to purchase music, you will find no problems there on Mac or PC

jungleroomx on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Here's a bit of a niche thing -- does anyone have an app to recommend for doing drawing/writing (mostly handwriting) and export that as SVG? I'd like to add some handwritten stuff to Google Slides presentation things, and if possible import those as SVGs.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Here's a bit of a niche thing -- does anyone have an app to recommend for doing drawing/writing (mostly handwriting) and export that as SVG? I'd like to add some handwritten stuff to Google Slides presentation things, and if possible import those as SVGs.

Affinity Designer can handle this easily, although it’s also way more powerful and basically a full Illustrator replacement, but it’s streamlined and easy to use even if you aren’t familiar with vector software.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Think I might update my Watch 5 to an 8. The voice in the back of my head kind of wants the Ultra, but nah. My runner buddy will get one though.

I think the 8 is a solid update, so is the new SE, honestly. The Ultra looks made for a very, very small sliver of people. I really don't know how big of an audience there is for an Apple Watch that costs more but is probably less capable in terms of the actual hardcore workout/tracking/ruggedized nature of the Garmin watches of the world.

My absolute favorite part is the "this watch is designed for weekend adventurers but also doesn't have a battery that can last a whole weekend"

Garmin watches are purpose built for this and also have a battery you don't need to charge every day while camping/hiking.

Again, I think the SE and 8 are great. If I was an iPhone person, awesome. I don't know who the Ultra is actually for.

Ok the Dynamic Island notch thing on the iPhone 14 Pro is the worst name for maybe the most intereresting software thing I've seen on an iPhone (or any product, really) in quite some time. I'm not an iPhone person, but credit where due that is a fantastic idea.

Yeah, that looked cool, and I don’t care at all about some fancy name for ”updated notifications”.

Think I’ll check what I get if I trade in my 13 Pro Max. 🤔

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Ok the Dynamic Island notch thing on the iPhone 14 Pro is the worst name for maybe the most intereresting software thing I've seen on an iPhone (or any product, really) in quite some time. I'm not an iPhone person, but credit where due that is a fantastic idea.

if I'm understanding it right they put larger black UI elements around the notch at all times to make it less conspicuous, is that right?
    does that mean the actual top of the screen is dead space now because they're not putting status icons there anymore?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    Yeah, that looked cool, and I don’t care at all about some fancy name for ”updated notifications”.

It's pretty much a combo of a new succinct notification display + macOS's menu bar widgets. The name is dumb but it seems like it will fill a real niche: "tap the top edge of the screen to interact with whatever you're doing." It's also a gloriously trolltastic response to all the notch-hatred that's been spewed out over the years.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm very happy with my 12 mini but I can't deny that so much of the new stuff in the 14 Pro are things I really want. I'll have to see how much it would cost me to get one through the upgrade program. The mini will be paid off next April and it meets my needs perfectly fine. I can't deny that the always on display, the notch animation/notification stuff, much improved cameras, better battery, and Promotion display are all things that are major upgrades to me 12 mini.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    camera good, will be happy that

wish we could have a mini pro but alas consumers are dumb, but hey, we live in a world of mcmansions and lifted trucks, so, yeah, consumers are dumb

kinda bad that they made it so the US phones are esim only. bad for if u wanna international travel n pop in a cheap sim, or if like… ur phone breaks and u wanna use a dif phone and pop in ur sim. Aka what I have been doing rn with my borrowed phones temporarily

And it’s only the US version lol so it’s not like they’re not making it with a sim tray in other markets
    that is a bad decision

poo
    16495 SEK = 1539 USD

6300 SEK trade-in = 588 USD

...so ~950 USD. Nah, not really worth it just to have the latest and shiniest, I already have a 13 Pro Max. (That's Apple's trade-in though, can probably get more elsewhere.)

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    648dj1ftc0wt.gif

This is hot shit.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    camera good, will be happy that

wish we could have a mini pro but alas consumers are dumb, but hey, we live in a world of mcmansions and lifted trucks, so, yeah, consumers are dumb

kinda bad that they made it so the US phones are esim only. bad for if u wanna international travel n pop in a cheap sim, or if like… ur phone breaks and u wanna use a dif phone and pop in ur sim. Aka what I have been doing rn with my borrowed phones temporarily

And it’s only the US version lol so it’s not like they’re not making it with a sim tray in other markets
    that is a bad decision

there are cheap esim apps for foreign travel that seem to work in most countries also.

esims are pretty widely supported nowadays

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    648dj1ftc0wt.gif

This is hot shit.

I was a little underwhelmed, but, seeing that in motion I get the appeal. That’s smooth as hell, and brilliant integration of hardware with GUI.

I’m probably reaching, but I hope this kind of thing is indicative of Apple’s research into making foldables work seamlessly and smoothly.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    It would cost me about $13 more per month to upgrade my 12 mini to the 14 Pro through the upgrade program. That's really tempting. Now it comes down to having a fully paid off phone come March/April or start back into another two years of payments for new fancy shiny thing.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Bummed they didn't keep blue but I'm def going purple from my 12pro, being fully paid off and Verizon gonna give me $800 this is a no brainer! I'm pumped!

I think it's finally time to upgrade from my X while it is still in perfect shape with a good battery. I think I'm gonna go whole hog and do a 14 pro max. Just all the phone.