As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• dylmandylman Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    It would cost me about $13 more per month to upgrade my 12 mini to the 14 Pro through the upgrade program. That's really tempting. Now it comes down to having a fully paid off phone come March/April or start back into another two years of payments for new fancy shiny thing.

You'd be losing money if you upgrade now most probably. The Upgrade program is best used as soon as you've made 11 payments (at least here in the UK). At that point the phone should be worth a bit more than the outstanding balance on the loan, so it's kind of an acceptable trade off to painlessly get rid of the old and in with the new. A few months after that though, and the phone's value will increasingly be worth much more than the outstanding balance, so handing it back to pay off the loan becomes worse and worse value.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm 17 payments into the 24 leaving my outstanding balance around $260. The mini phones aren't hugely popular outside of the people who have them and love them (and have learned to live with the tradeoffs). I might be able to sell it for around $400 come next year if I wanted to go through the hassle of that. I could also and was intending to keep the phone for a year or two after that since it meets my needs very well. Waiting on the 15 Pro would also be a good option and then consider rejoining the upgrade program then.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I'm currently on a (2nd gen) SE, and sort of want to upgrade to the 14 pro because I'd like better camera(s) -- mostly more zoom/wide-angle, though. I just don't know if I can justify the cost purely for that, because everything else about my existing phone is fine and I don't see it not being fine for a while. (I previously went from a 6 to the SE(2) and that was only because Apple finally made a 'budget' phone so it seemed like the right time).

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    I'm currently on an 11; it's been feeling a little long in the tooth...I think I'll do a big boy upgrade to the 14 Pro and see how long I can hold onto it.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    camera good, will be happy that

wish we could have a mini pro but alas consumers are dumb, but hey, we live in a world of mcmansions and lifted trucks, so, yeah, consumers are dumb

kinda bad that they made it so the US phones are esim only. bad for if u wanna international travel n pop in a cheap sim, or if like… ur phone breaks and u wanna use a dif phone and pop in ur sim. Aka what I have been doing rn with my borrowed phones temporarily

And it’s only the US version lol so it’s not like they’re not making it with a sim tray in other markets
    that is a bad decision

there are cheap esim apps for foreign travel that seem to work in most countries also.

esims are pretty widely supported nowadays

Yeah but definitely not in every market yet
    there’s a reason why they’re only doing esim only in the US only, the international version of the phone has a physical sim slot

Plus yeah like the instance of oops I broke my phone let me pop my sim into another phone idk

Seems mildly anti consumer and not ideal

(I’m still getting one but)

poo
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    camera good, will be happy that

wish we could have a mini pro but alas consumers are dumb, but hey, we live in a world of mcmansions and lifted trucks, so, yeah, consumers are dumb

kinda bad that they made it so the US phones are esim only. bad for if u wanna international travel n pop in a cheap sim, or if like… ur phone breaks and u wanna use a dif phone and pop in ur sim. Aka what I have been doing rn with my borrowed phones temporarily

And it’s only the US version lol so it’s not like they’re not making it with a sim tray in other markets
    that is a bad decision

there are cheap esim apps for foreign travel that seem to work in most countries also.

esims are pretty widely supported nowadays

Yeah but definitely not in every market yet
    there’s a reason why they’re only doing esim only in the US only, the international version of the phone has a physical sim slot

Plus yeah like the instance of oops I broke my phone let me pop my sim into another phone idk

Seems mildly anti consumer and not ideal

(I’m still getting one but)

In theory, almost every (new) phone supports eSIM so you turn on the backup phone and "sign in" to your carrier which activates an eSIM on that phone with your account.

In theory it is actually about as simple as popping a physical SIM in. In practice this does feel like a couple years too early to get rid of the physical sim tray entirely. Though being US only really does indicate that while the US is a big market, it is not a market that travels/swaps sims a lot like many other international markets.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I'm still on a 7 plus with a shit battery, says 73%. I'm also sporting an Apple Watch 2, and last week the damn screen popped loose. I NEED to upgrade both, but I really don't want to add more to my monthly.

50433.png?1708759015
  • KPCKPC Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Ok the Dynamic Island notch thing on the iPhone 14 Pro is the worst name for maybe the most intereresting software thing I've seen on an iPhone (or any product, really) in quite some time. I'm not an iPhone person, but credit where due that is a fantastic idea.

Love it or hate it but Apple is very good at naming things in a way that will get people to talk about it online and in real life for free.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    KPC wrote: »
    Ok the Dynamic Island notch thing on the iPhone 14 Pro is the worst name for maybe the most intereresting software thing I've seen on an iPhone (or any product, really) in quite some time. I'm not an iPhone person, but credit where due that is a fantastic idea.

Love it or hate it but Apple is very good at naming things in a way that will get people to talk about it online and in real life for free.

A buddy of mine has an entire 5 minute bit just based on his impression of Tim Cook saying “Secure Enclave.”

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Damn but does the feature list on that Ultra look bonkers. Makes me want to take up SCUBA even more.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Damn but does the feature list on that Ultra look bonkers. Makes me want to take up SCUBA even more.

Equivalent Garmin watches do the same thing, cost about the same (or maybe less in some cases) and get anywhere between 6 an 16 days of battery life. I think the Apple Watch Ultra is an interesting device but the segment of people it is marketed at is going to look at the battery life and say "well I can't trust that this will get through 24 hours of use so how is it useful to me on a weekend?"

(yes, I know the battery life is marketed at 36 hours but run GPS for a 5 hour hike and 36 hours turns into 20 real quick)

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Equivalent Garmin watches do the same thing, cost about the same (or maybe less in some cases) and get anywhere between 6 an 16 days of battery life. I think the Apple Watch Ultra is an interesting device but the segment of people it is marketed at is going to look at the battery life and say "well I can't trust that this will get through 24 hours of use so how is it useful to me on a weekend?"

(yes, I know the battery life is marketed at 36 hours but run GPS for a 5 hour hike and 36 hours turns into 20 real quick)

For me, if I can log 5-6 hours of exercise/GPS tracking and still make it with battery to the end of a very long day, that is a pretty nice upgrade.

The diver stuff and the new look are both kind of irrelevant to me in the face of that. Give me all day battery even when I punish myself, and this watch looks great.

That said, I am still waiting for in-store models so I can see what it looks like on me.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Yeah seeing/holding one in person will be important for the Watch Ultra.

The weight is a thing that I think people coming from a normal apple watch might be surprised. The 45mm aluminum watch 8 weighs 38.8 grams, an the Watch Ultra weighs 61.3 grams. That's what, 50% heavier? I know it won't seem like a ton but it definitely matters. Many reviewers talked about how heavy the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro felt to them, and that watch is 46.5 grams.

So yea, this will be a heavy watch and definitely not for everyone.

I wear a 44mm stainless steel series 6 currently with the Milanese loop and sometimes with Nomad's stainless steel band. Before that I wore a Samsung Galaxy which weighed about the same as the series 6 so I never noticed the weight. Even if I do notice a slight weight difference when I switch from a fabric, leather, or rubber bands to one of the stainless steel bands I might initially notice a difference. However, within a minute or so I don't notice it anymore. Maybe I'm just used to wearing a heavier watch but it's something you get used to very quickly.

A quick glance at the Garmin watches and they're all as heavy if not heavier than the Ultra. If you're in the market/demographic for that kind of watch the Ultra might actually be lighter than most of the competition and/or they'll be used to a big heavy watch.

I wear a 44mm stainless steel series 6 currently with the Milanese loop and sometimes with Nomad's stainless steel band. Before that I wore a Samsung Galaxy which weighed about the same as the series 6 so I never noticed the weight. Even if I do notice a slight weight difference when I switch from a fabric, leather, or rubber bands to one of the stainless steel bands I might initially notice a difference. However, within a minute or so I don't notice it anymore. Maybe I'm just used to wearing a heavier watch but it's something you get used to very quickly.

A quick glance at the Garmin watches and they're all as heavy if not heavier than the Ultra. If you're in the market/demographic for that kind of watch the Ultra might actually be lighter than most of the competition and/or they'll be used to a big heavy watch.

That's a fair point on the weight of the garmins. I don't think the watch ultra is for the person used to wearing an aluminum series watch with the added weight. It really doesn't seem like a lot but it always depends on what you want to do.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also the big thing Apple is selling is better watch integration with the apple ecosystem. For the folks who don't need hardcore battery life, but want a more feature rich apple watch to go with their iphone and airpod pros, this could fit the bill.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Battery life seems fine for everything that isn’t several overnights without power. Which is probably most things except prolonged hiking trips.

PSN: Honkalot
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ordered a 14 Pro Max and the new AirPod Pro's.

Coming from an 11 Pro, never had the Max before, and figured I'd try out the form factor. I don't use a tablet currently, just Macbook, so figured big phone wouldn't be too bad.

I'm excited to try out the camera, my 11 Pro cam has an issue that severely reduces image quality. Can't wait to be able to take proper photos again.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Ordered a 14 Pro Max and the new AirPod Pro's.

Coming from an 11 Pro, never had the Max before, and figured I'd try out the form factor. I don't use a tablet currently, just Macbook, so figured big phone wouldn't be too bad.

I'm excited to try out the camera, my 11 Pro cam has an issue that severely reduces image quality. Can't wait to be able to take proper photos again.

Ordered the 14proMax myself, coming from an X. really looking forward to having updated camera tech.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Battery life seems fine for everything that isn’t several overnights without power. Which is probably most things except prolonged hiking trips.

I still don't think I can order one until I see it on my wrist.

It is a chonky boi, that watch.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2022
    Honk wrote: »

I still don't think I can order one until I see it on my wrist.

It is a chonky boi, that watch.

I really like it from the images but yeah it's something you'd need to feel out.

I hope to make it through at least next year on my current watch but after that point I will look to upgrade. Somehow I suspect there'll be no new tech purchases for me next year. :P But when it's time maybe there'll even be a new update of this one (EVEN CHONKIER? by then!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited September 2022
    iOS 16, watchOS 9, and tvOS 16 are out.

If anyone is having trouble adding a third party widget to the lock screen you may need to delete the app and then reinstall it from the cloud backup. I had to do that to get Parcel working. Some people have had luck closing and reopening an app once it's updated.

I'm really hoping Pocket Casts gets one because I hate that it disappears very quickly from the lock screen if I pause whatever podcast I'm listening to.

Cormac on
    I'm still trying to figure out the nuances of what the OS deems worthy of the depth effect on lock screens. I've created my own wallpapers in Photoshop that should qualify: single subject with flat/contrast-y background; but none are working as of yet. My old wallpaper worked automatically, and I would deem it more complicated than the ones I've created, so it's not an issue of it not working overall. A restart hasn't helped, either. My current guess is that the AI is busy slowly processing all of my photos? Within the app, all my custom wallpapers also pass the AI-assisted cut and copy test. Curious!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2022
    Okay, I guess I'm just too dumb for iOS 16. How do I just... change my wallpaper? I don't want to set up a new lock screen with a new set of widgets, I just want to swap wallpaper on the current one.

edit: what the heck. On one phone I have a photo icon in the bottom left when editing the lock screen, on my work phone I don't. Well, I just made a new one and recreated the old one where I couldn't switch wallpaper.

Echo on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Echo wrote: »
    Okay, I guess I'm just too dumb for iOS 16. How do I just... change my wallpaper? I don't want to set up a new lock screen with a new set of widgets, I just want to swap wallpaper on the current one.

edit: what the heck. On one phone I have a photo icon in the bottom left when editing the lock screen, on my work phone I don't. Well, I just made a new one and recreated the old one where I couldn't switch wallpaper.

The Lock Screen and wallpaper are paired now. Just default the Lock Screen settings then hit done and select the “customise wallpaper” option.
    Or you can just go to the wallpaper section in Settings.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Echo wrote: »

The Lock Screen and wallpaper are paired now. Just default the Lock Screen settings then hit done and select the “customise wallpaper” option.
    Or you can just go to the wallpaper section in Settings.

They’ll be unpaired in 16.1, so this madness is only temporary.

It turns out that ordering a phone to pick up in store let me jump the queue, so off I go tomorrow to get a new one -- just dithering about if I want to pay the name brand markup for a case -vs- the $2 aliexpress ones I usually use, which seem to be just fine.

It turns out that ordering a phone to pick up in store let me jump the queue, so off I go tomorrow to get a new one -- just dithering about if I want to pay the name brand markup for a case -vs- the $2 aliexpress ones I usually use, which seem to be just fine.

I don't know if I'd buy the Apple first party cases unless you really need official magsafe compatibility. But if you want something faster than Aliexpress can do it, there are a ton of good case manufacturers you can grab stuff from on Amazon. Spigen is among my favorites.

The island is a really neat trick.

The phone also feels appropriately snappier, and the camera takes baller pictures.

This was a worthwhile upgrade.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Picked mine up, and yeah, comparing the 14-pro camera to the SE(2020) camera, the extra ability to zoom in/out is really nice, and the fact that it can do portrait mode on dogs (etc) is something I'd forgotten would be an improvement but is a nice bonus.

It sure is a larger change in size than I'd expected, and the more corner-y case makes it feel bigger still because it doesn't sort of nestle in as nicely as the older one, but I'll get used to that. And switching habits from Touch ID to Face ID was amazingly easy, I thought it would be super annoying but it took maybe 30 seconds, and now I've taught it what I look like with/without glasses/mask it seems to work fine.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    So first impressions from over a weekend using the 14 pro max:

good: faster photos, better sharpening and using the pro raw for single shots can get some stunning pictures that puts the 13 pro camera to shame. The island is really useful for 'most' apps that use it. Some apps and software need updating as the cut out obstructs areas of the app screen on a number of apps I use, but the apps that do work are amazing and feels almost like the jump to the X UI. Face ID is faster and less invasive than before for me. Always on display doesn't drain battery as much as I feared.

Bad: Battery life and processor performance are basically same as the 13 pro max which while good doesn't show any improvement, in some situations I've found the 13 pro max battery performance is better which is worrying. The island on some apps like navigation to public transport is basically useless. iOS 16 still has the switching camera issue so if you are focused on taking a particular shot its better to go full manual in settings. Some apps aren't optimised and most notable in gaming with dropped frame rates (might be iOS 16 issue).

Ugly: The camera bump area is bigger by just a fraction enough to make 13 pro cases not fit. Thanks again Apple. Always on display seems to be off-putting when in use and a lot of the widgets are useless on that display.

Ziggymon wrote: »
    Ugly: The camera bump area is bigger by just a fraction enough to make 13 pro cases not fit. Thanks again Apple. Always on display seems to be off-putting when in use and a lot of the widgets are useless on that display.

I tried 3d printing some iphone13 pro cases to use on the 14 pro and, yeah, the camera bump was a bit off. So I hacked the model so that the hole in the back is bigger, which mostly worked, but then I noticed that the power button is also a tiny bit further down, and the volume buttons aren't quite in the same place either. Fortunately proper iphone 14 case models are showing up now because I was running out of energy to keep on fiddling around.

The new(to me) camera options are a ton of fun, boy howdy:

WRmtibz.jpg

8xgOeEZ.jpg

0ZIPcen.jpg

Yeah the camera assembly on the 14 Pro (and the 14 as well) are a bit bigger than their 13 equivalents because the main sensor in the phone is physically larger. So that housing has to be a bit bigger to make that new sensor fit.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Yeah the camera assembly on the 14 Pro (and the 14 as well) are a bit bigger than their 13 equivalents because the main sensor in the phone is physically larger. So that housing has to be a bit bigger to make that new sensor fit.

This is just what Big Case wants you to think

can you feel the struggle within?
    Six wrote: »

When was the last time a phone update came out and a case upgrade wasn't required as well because they kept the same exact form factor?

It might be the 6/7/8 series which were the last ones to allow for that.

SW-4158-3990-6116

When was the last time a phone update came out and a case upgrade wasn't required as well because they kept the same exact form factor?

I think cases for the iPhone 12 to 13 (no pros) fit. the camera housing there was the same size.

But yeah generally phones do change every year, both in dimensions and camera layout.

I think cases for the iPhone 12 to 13 (no pros) fit. the camera housing there was the same size.

But yeah generally phones do change every year, both in dimensions and camera layout.

The camera was the same size but the buttons were moved ever so slightly. Just enough that cases for the 12 would not fit the 13.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

The camera was the same size but the buttons were moved ever so slightly. Just enough that cases for the 12 would not fit the 13.

With the 12 to 13 change a few cases that had extra wide camera cutouts worked (I had a Speck that made the transition), but anything that had super tight cutouts was a no-go.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    iCloud is, quite frankly, amazingly bad for working with files. Trying to figure out how to refresh a folder that, on my Mac Mini, hasn't updated since August 20th but where I changed a file on another device yesterday.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Got my Airpod Pro 2's

I don't usually use IEM's, but they are quite nice.

I was surprised with the sound quality. A nice neutral sound, mostly clear throughout the lows to highs.

The noice cancellation is superb, weird putting them in and the world goes silent. I haven't used anything with ANC in years however, so can't really benchmark that.

Overall happy with the purchase. Have a work flight in early Oct, so excited to see how they do. I've been currently taking some closed Aeon RT's and it's just too much of a hassle carrying them around with my mini dac/amp.

The phone order sits at Oct 12th though, so still a bit of a wait for that.

Dixon on