As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i had no qualms with the breast cancer awareness mercy skin. i definitely am not sure i'm going to go for this one even though i love the idea of starcraft medic.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I don't particularly see how it's any worse than just paying Blizzard money in a store for a skin. Overwatch has had a number of paid-only skins.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Fortunately, Brig has a bunch of skins that are better than that one.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    I kinda like this one, I'm not personally thrilled with many of her existing skins.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I really doubt they care about this cash going to streamers. They want folks to get over the initial hump of donating at all to streamers and be more open to doing it in the future.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    its also that a bunch of big ow content creators basically either quit or went part time in the last couple years because viewers fell off so hard and there was no content

so this is probs partly to try and get people back on board with making content / streaming ow more

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    They're also entering the next beta phase today, so my gut tells me the main reason for tying it to streamers is to get more eyes on OW2

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Zek wrote: »
    I don't particularly see how it's any worse than just paying Blizzard money in a store for a skin. Overwatch has had a number of paid-only skins.

They used to be an option through tokens that were purchased or obtained via watching OWL or streamers (when it was actually working). And really, I'd much rather pay Blizzard direct than have to jump through three additional hoops to get a skin I really wanted.

edit: did anyone here get into Beta 2 without buying the pass?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I didn't, and watching Emongg's chat today it sounds like basically nobody did besides pre-purchase buyers and streamers (and Blizzard staff/friends, I assume)

• Options
    did not either. i don't want to drop 40 bucks in advance for beta access. i'm a penny pincher

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I didn't get an invite either, but really Blizzard isn't making me too excited with the gameplay being so similar.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    I didn't get an invite either, but really Blizzard isn't making me too excited with the gameplay being so similar.

Removing 2 shield and moving towards more mitigation feels better and rewards cooldown management more, it enables more playmaking around support abilities since there's no shield management support.

Dive seems in a weird place. DVA in particular is sort of underwhelming right now?

The fast pace feels a lot more demanding on DPS though. You really can't go off and do deep flanks as a DPS. Will see how competitive shakes out.

• Options

No need to fix what isn't broken. Calling it a sequel was a mistake, just think of this as the continuation of support for Overwatch.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »

Removing 2 shield and moving towards more mitigation feels better and rewards cooldown management more, it enables more playmaking around support abilities since there's no shield management support.

Dive seems in a weird place. DVA in particular is sort of underwhelming right now?

The fast pace feels a lot more demanding on DPS though. You really can't go off and do deep flanks as a DPS. Will see how competitive shakes out.

roll deep get in the b-line ravage the b... holes

nobody can stop u believe in urself

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Just got a beta invite today and uh ; after not having played OW 1 for a few years if i didn't know better i'd be 100% sure i was still playing overwatch 1

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I mean cause it is. The "2" was moreso for the PvE that they didn't finish.

I could see this confusing a lot of people.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I mean, based off the roster bloat and the balance changes made to counterbalance being fucked several ways to Sunday you could also argue that Overwatch 2 is entirely different from the game it was a few years ago

But if you mean the art style and basic structures of the game aren't transformatively different from the way it was back then, then yeah

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Looks like they're delivering the OW2 codes to everyone who waited now, got the download code for xbox this afternoon. Wonder if they'll let the beta go another week or it's just the next 4 days.

• Options
    brig has been my go to in support as i feel like i can survive slightly longer with her and my aim is potato. the moira change is tough. i miss bouncy death ball and my aim sucks so the replacement is hard to use. lucio feels pretty good. ana feels pretty good. mercy is still weird in that she's the only one that can't easily dps while healing and them trying to figure out the pop up in the air is just silly. just turn gravity off for her on a cooldown. uh i haven't played bapt because i can't aim so no idea.
    i've seen a lot of rein and JQ mostly for tanks. doom, orisa, winston, seem fine even though they are still tweaking doom. hog is still hog. i need to try sigma at some point i guess, i haven't seen anyone playing him.
    if you do open queue for tank/dps/support you will probably just play support for five straight games.

• Options
    Console thoughts, got a decent amount of games in as DPS and Support by playing later in the evening (Monte Carlo, Oasis, 66 2x, Toronto 2x, Busan).

-I was expecting fast paced, but the game feels slow, it's just now with 5 instead of 6
    -the game was chugging and sluggish even when I switched to "framerate" mode, the Series X can do 120hz no problem on OW1, here it felt like I was dipping below 60fps like it was the old Xbox One
    -I like the scoreboard, much much needed, feel like the character boxes should be bigger because it was hard to discern some of the heroes being used compared to the OW1 in-game status screen
    -the Push mode wasn't as bad as it looked watching the beta play, but it does feel lopsided. I'm giving benefit of the doubt that this is due to shitty matchmaking because of the beta
    -I'd like more clear status effects, everything felt off except for discord. Change the color of the status copy to stand out (without having to go to color blind options)
    -the greatest thing in the beta is I never saw Ligma once. Press S to spit
    -I like the Sombra changes but everything she does is negated by current heals output
    -console only problem I guess but Torb is still broken due to his OP EZ turret, even more so with one tank missing
    -Lucio seems to have survived the switch over the best, he's balanced, but....
    -Supports are hella broken in this, they completely negate DPS and then some to where it feels like all you do, if you aren't Hamzo, Widow, Ashe or Sojourn, is just feed the other team.
    -One shield, if that, means any combo of DPS above can stop a team flat out, especially with a Mercy damage boosting them. Either the DPS needs to have a one sniper only rule or there cannot be one shot kills anymore. Or maybe you play with faster respawn if killed by snipers
    -Ana is so broken she reminds me of Bridget 1.0 in keeping way too much alive with zero downside
    -Zen melts everyone, I saw there's a patch coming but damn yo
    -Junkerqueen is just a better Roadhog with the hitbox of a DPS. In theory she should die to Rein all the time but the supports can just pump out so much healing on her plus her battle cry makes her never die
    -Sojourn cannot just ptew ptew and follow it up with a powerful railgun shot on the same clip, that's broken yo. She's a stronger 76 and the self heal doesn't matter when supports are this strong
    -McCree feels like shit. His primary feels slower and the damage feels weaker. The new sticky grenade needs greater distance (with a damage reduction trade) to break you of the flashbang habits because without the CC there and the weaker gun you're forced to be with the team more but you don't really have anything to bail out yourself or the team. He feels less mid range and more close-mid now and there's just too much there, especially with tanks being bigger DPS now. I'd be all for making him faster with 200hp, or give his robot arm a jet dash for fast straffing or something.
    -Junkrat feels worse, he's the burst damage counter to all the heals but he still can't disrupt at his current output, he also feels slower when using his mines to speed travel. The primary/mine combo I've been accustomed to using to kill 200hp people still keeps them alive now.

• Options
    the weirdest (not sure if worse) change is how they messed with how traps throw out now, the arc on the weapons, etc. His trap can be thrown quite a ways away which is both good and bad. it definitely looks like it sticks out of the ground more.
    For me, there's too much "stuff" on the screen sometimes to figure out where people are.
    i still hate pharahs.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Oh wow, they sure fixed that role imbalance. Now instead of having two quick queues we've got two horrible slow queues!

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    when i was on earlier tank queue was the slowest. people really want to be playing JQ. they really need to add a couple more support options. I could really see a use for a "cleanser" support.

• Options
    The next hero is a support.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Blizzard released some numbers of the OW2 beta in terms of picks and win % on unmirrored teams.

The numbers I see that stand out are not just that Sym and Torb are way too strong in console but also PC right now, which I find odd. People realizing even the weird changes with Junkrat he's still vital for burst damage.

Junker Queen is broken, naturally, but Ligma still keeps winning because they will not address how strong he remains, he needs a good six months of being pure trash, Sean in Street Fighter 3 tier, just to detox from being the character who ruined the game (and still does but whatever).

• Options
    edited August 2022

Confirmed there's no beta 3. My guess is they want to build hype for the release, since it would be kind of a wet fart if all the content were in beta 3.

Zek on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    "By the time OW2 comes out, we are going to be pushing 40 heroes in the game, if not more depending on the timeline."

Should be an exciting couple months with new heroes basically every week!

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I haven't been paying close attention to OW2 news, were they going to remove any characters?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    No. They've done some reworks, though (Doom and Orisa being the biggest changes).

• Options
    Seems like they leaked the new hero's name, along with an ominous suggestion that they'll be locked behind the battle pass: https://i.redd.it/lq031zsw5jm91.png

It doesn't even suggest that it's a timed exclusive, that reads to me like full on locked. Probably purchasable with in game currency though.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The way "automatically" is thrown in there makes it sound to me like you're going to have to earn free currency and spend it to unlock stuff, like in other f2p games with big character rosters that get added to over time.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    So it'll taken just shy of 4 years to add one support, and they're locked behind some flavor of paywall.

Oof.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    There's no way that's anything more than early access, which I think they have done before? It's been a long time.

• Options
    I can fully see Blizzard putting a (lets be honest it's always the case with new characters) really broken support during launch behind a paywall or long grind to unlock. And then your team will shit on you for not using said broken character because you didn't unlock it yet, resulting in tilted, toxic thrown matches.

• Options
    New heroes being OP or not is a pretty even split. Ana, Sombra, Orisa, Ashe, Echo, and Hammond were nothing special when they were first released. People just tend to remember the likes of Sigma and Brigitte, who dominated the meta for months.

• Options
    I thought Echo was pretty broken when she first released and needed a couple rounds of tuning to bring her in line (nothing like Brig, obv) but maybe that was a pretty brief/quick turnaround. She might as well have come out 10 years ago so who knows. But yeah your larger point stands, most characters aren't actually that strong, people just love to overreact to anything new.

• Options
    What they're saying now is that the hero will also be on the free battle pass. Unclear if they will just be released to everyone with the next season.

I'm not mad about it, this is what F2P is. I just want the game to be more successful so it can have better ongoing support than it did the last four years.

• Options
    u will just spend in game currency or moneyhat the new hero

but all ur old currency is getting converted to new currency so should be np

imagine its league or whatever

obF2Wuw.png