As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed

1838485868789»

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    As much as I enjoyed the latest trilogy of AC, it would be cool if this new structure meant we got another setting that was entirely a large detailed city like in the Ezio games

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    this is kind of what i always wanted from an AC, a bunch of smaller zones in various settings

I get why AAA game franchises are such impossibly large ships that they don't get to fuck around too much with how they approach their stories, but dang, I would do criminal crimes for an Assassin's Creed take on Eternal Darkness.

Different assassins, different eras and cultures, different skill-sets, chasing one piece of eden across centuries, slowly revealing the Isu that were pulling the strings for every layer of that particular conflict

Stop making me interested in this thing that won't happen!

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Assassin's creed has already been a live game for some time

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    this is kind of what i always wanted from an AC, a bunch of smaller zones in various settings

I get why AAA game franchises are such impossibly large ships that they don't get to fuck around too much with how they approach their stories, but dang, I would do criminal crimes for an Assassin's Creed take on Eternal Darkness.

Different assassins, different eras and cultures, different skill-sets, chasing one piece of eden across centuries, slowly revealing the Isu that were pulling the strings for every layer of that particular conflict

Stop making me interested in this thing that won't happen!

Never!!!

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Assassin's creed has already been a live game for some time

I'd generally agree with this, but you can still pick up a version of Odyssey that has all the DLC in it, short of the all the cosmetic or game-breaking nonsense that costs extra

I'd define a live service game more like those Ghost Recons, that have those special missions that can expire and you can miss out on? That kind of FOMO bullshit

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    As much as I enjoyed the latest trilogy of AC, it would be cool if this new structure meant we got another setting that was entirely a large detailed city like in the Ezio games

Would love to see the power of the new consoles brought to bear on a truly densely populated city. The old games were already quite good at doing that with the hardware available at the time.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I picked this up on sale and am doing viking shit but I just got with some kinda save game error.

Doing sneaky assassin stuff just seems wrong here I much prefer chucking torches into people's faces and then whacking an axe into people's faces and then stomping people's faces onto the axe.

• Options
    Also, I forgot there was some kinda story or something happening in AssCreed? I played some of Origins and skipped Odyssey. I guess Things and Stuff have happened I dunno.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Best to not really bother with the stealth stuff in this one since they sorta broke it anyways (also you should play odyssey it rules)

• Options
    speaking of, my assassin's creed board game should be arriving this week and I'm looking forward to seeing what that is exactly, given that I kickstartered it....two years ago?

• Options
    Land on an assassination square and stab the person opposite you through the C4 vertebrae in their neck?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I've played through odyssey four times, and am kind of itching to play it again. I strongly suggest you play it if you like this style of game.

It's so much better than Valhalla, and they're both such big games you can get burnt out easily.

I've also tried playing the Valhalla Ireland DLC, but after staying in the DLC area for like 20 minutes, the game crashes every time.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    That picture is super goofy for some reason, but I love this news as I’ve wanted them to go back to basics, focus on one city, and do a smaller game more in line with older instalments for a long time now

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    At the rate I'm slogging through Valhalla, I expect to complete Mirage first.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Where is he jumping from in that picture

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Where is he jumping from in that picture

There's trapdoor with a pneumatic platform that boosts him up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS7nhEacpHA

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    There's a trampoline below him.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    That picture is super goofy for some reason, but I love this news as I’ve wanted them to go back to basics, focus on one city, and do a smaller game more in line with older instalments for a long time now

I'm all for narrowing the focus of the setting, but if they lose gender selectability and the other RPG elements from Odyssey and Valhalla, I think it will be a huge step backward.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I don't think the RPG mechanics added much at all, personally. I think "linear story that gives you in-narrative new tools as you progress" works totally fine, I don't need to toss a couple of pips on my axe skill to get a 5% damage increase, that shit's boring in action games to me

Gender choice, though, yeah. Real annoyed to see that go away.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    RPG elements were the step backwards, removing them would be an improvement. It's not at all suspicious that they added level grinding and gear with stats and then also real money options to buy the best of those things in the same game. Yeah... must have been for fun gameplay reasons.

• Options
    FWIW I never purchased any of the leveling boosters and didn't notice any difference, because I was doing the side content anyway. Like, clearly there were mercenary reasons for it and I'm not going to absolve Ubisoft of that, but it felt like a non-issue, in the end. I don't think they quite figured out the gear system either, some combo of what they did in Odyssey and what they did in Valhalla could have worked, I think. I...don't think there was an option to buy "the best gear" in any of them? You could get some cosmetic stuff, but the best gear was locked behind in-game progress.

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    FWIW I never purchased any of the leveling boosters and didn't notice any difference, because I was doing the side content anyway. Like, clearly there were mercenary reasons for it and I'm not going to absolve Ubisoft of that, but it felt like a non-issue, in the end. I don't think they quite figured out the gear system either, some combo of what they did in Odyssey and what they did in Valhalla could have worked, I think. I...don't think there was an option to buy "the best gear" in any of them? You could get some cosmetic stuff, but the best gear was locked behind in-game progress.

In Origins, I seem to remember a vendor who would sell rotating selections of good gear for the real money currency. Perhaps they shied from that in the next two, but they certainly put their whole ass out there in the first try version. See also: time saver packs. Save all the time you would waste (playing our supposedly fun video game) with a small cash transaction. Fun!

• Options
    edited September 2022
    I’m fine with the rpg games existing, I’d prefer the option of both types of games honestly, I like both and just want variety going forward, maybe alternating.

I like the big rpgs where I can choose gender and the character has dialogue options to shape their personality a bit, but I also like smaller focussed stories with a defined character (although preferably not male considering how many games in the series had male protagonists) and no rpg elements, instead with like tools and weapon types unlocked through the linear story with maybe more cinematic attention to detail

Prohass on
  • Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

In Origins, I seem to remember a vendor who would sell rotating selections of good gear for the real money currency. Perhaps they shied from that in the next two, but they certainly put their whole ass out there in the first try version. See also: time saver packs. Save all the time you would waste (playing our supposedly fun video game) with a small cash transaction. Fun!

I would say those weren't really better than anything you could get in game, though? Maybe they looked cooler, but you could also just get Excalibur and Mjolnir in Valhalla, so it couldn't have been much cooler

• Options
    edited September 2022
    The thing is based on the rumours the massive rpg ones like the last 3 games could seemingly be forming this “Infinite” platform, with the smaller scoped non-rpg games being made seperate to that

Prohass on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I liked Syndicate being able to swap on the fly. Even if I rarely did.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Some details on what Infinity is in here. Essentially, it's a themed hub for Assassin's Creed titles, and all of the modern era story elements will live there. You can buy new games separately. New games in the series will vary in size and apparently genre, and will be priced accordingly. Mirage is launching at $50. Red, the game set in Japan that they announced today, will be close in scope to the recent trilogy of games, and be an RPG. Hexe, the other games they teased today, might not be like any of the other AC games at all. They're also bringing a standalone multi-player game in, and they might have free stuff in as well

Explicitly saying they're going to be experimenting with game length and genre is really interesting. Maybe this is how I get my "Tales of Kassandra" series

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I still don't know what hub means in this instance. It's basically just a launcher?

Edit: I see in that interview he says it isn't a launcher but I know marketing speak and I know they love to claim things are new when they're actually shit that's been around for years

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The most important announcement is that multiplayer is coming back, although they have no details and it sounds like it will be a ways out.

I loved AC multi.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Assassins creed mirage trailer is also a thing.

https://youtu.be/x55lAlFtXmw

It looks like they’re retreading old ground with the Middle East, but I kind of dig it, I’m not trashing people who liked the last lot of AC games, but they’re just not really what I want to play when I think assassin and I hope the game moves closer to, fall out of the sky and murder people like it used to.

Blake T on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I really hope the end of that trailer means what I think it means

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

What do you think it means cause I have no idea

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

What do you think it means cause I have no idea
    i'm hoping the Shadowy figure is Layla

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Honestly disappointed they are going to Japan? One of the main points of appeal of the AC games was always historical periods where games usually weren't set in. This just opens the door for an endless parade of medieval european kingdoms to make the series fully generic

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Honestly disappointed they are going to Japan? One of the main points of appeal of the AC games was always historical periods where games usually weren't set in. This just opens the door for an endless parade of medieval european kingdoms to make the series fully generic

Is that actually true? Seems super untrue. They've gone with such "unpopular" time periods as:
    -The Crusades
    -The Renaissance
    -The Golden Age of Piracy
    -The American and French Revolutions
    -Ancient Greece
    -Ancient Egypt
    -London specifically when the most popular and well known things are happening there (Jack the Ripper, Gangs of London, etc)

It's also weird to complain about knights when that was the first game in the series, the tone setter.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    try and think specifically how many other triple A games have actually been set in those time periods and those historical locations

Damascus and Acre during the crusades is quite the diversion from the norm; especially when AC1 was first released. It's grown increasingly ridiculous as time went on but there was a reason those games opened with the "made by diverse people of many faiths" disclaimer

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif