As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed]: Mirage almost out! 10/5/23 via Ubisoft Connect, EGS (PC), and consoles

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Do the Odyssey and Valhalla season passes contain all of their respective games dlc?

Edit: story dlc. Don't particularly care about weapons and outfits

For ACO, yup. Valhalla, their surprising money-train. . .nope. Season Pass for Valhalla only gets you the Ireland and Paris DLC (though "only" is a bit underselling it given they do give you a bit of content). Ragnarok is its own DLC. A final one is upcoming.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Do the Odyssey and Valhalla season passes contain all of their respective games dlc?

For ACO, yup. Valhalla, their surprising money-train. . .nope. Season Pass for Valhalla only gets you the Ireland and Paris DLC (though "only" is a bit underselling it given they do give you a bit of content). Ragnarok is its own DLC. A final one is upcoming.

The next one is apparently free, though

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

Much appreciated. Probably grab the Odyssey pass on the sale here and wait on the Valhalla, Ragnarok itself is still $20 on top of the pass.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I might finally play through Valhalla soon. I got it working on my Steam Deck.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Preacher wrote: »
    AC 3 pissed me off with cutscene player character who was super weak and constantly getting like knocked out or captured, versus player playing him where you could literally kill the entire british army with a couple counters.

Agreed. That's one of literally multiple dozens of problems with the design of that game. I still can't believe all the modern day stuff in AC3. What a fucking stupid fucked up treatment of it. It fills me with rage, even now.

Drez on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its funny I own the Valhalla dlc finished the main game 100% felt zero need to do any of that DLC.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    The Legacy of the First Blade dlc has issues but the Fate of Atlantis DLC was boring and charmless. It was more of the worst parts of Odyssey and very little of the good parts. I just couldn't finish it.

• Options
    danx wrote: »
    The Legacy of the First Blade dlc has issues but the Fate of Atlantis DLC was boring and charmless. It was more of the worst parts of Odyssey and very little of the good parts. I just couldn't finish it.

Fate of Atlantis had one good part, which was the styxx part, the other two book ending it are fucking awful.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    danx wrote: »

Fate of Atlantis had one good part, which was the styxx part, the other two book ending it are fucking awful.

I didn't hate it. I think I'm just a sucker mark for seeing Ancients in their prime.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I don’t think I played Fate of Atlantis. I’m not 100% sure.. And I definitely did not start or finish Legacy of the First Blade.

Was Atlantis the one with
    Pythagoras?

That sounds right but I can’t recall what the hell it had to do with Atlantis.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    IIRC yeah (it's been a while). It's also the one that's like that Xzibit meme.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I really liked fate of Atlantis, it had some cool coda missions with characters that felt like a proper conclusion. Also the setting was just neat

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Any reviews and/or opinions on Ragnarok for Valhalla? I love me some Norse mythology, but I suspect that God of War is going to be scratching that itch soon enough.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I don’t think I played Fate of Atlantis. I’m not 100% sure.. And I definitely did not start or finish Legacy of the First Blade.

Was Atlantis the one with
    Pythagoras?

That sounds right but I can’t recall what the hell it had to do with Atlantis.

I didn't play Fate of Atlantis and I'm pretty sure I saw his whole story. Unless there's more of him in the DLC.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    IGN posted a very informative article about Infinity.

Cherry picking a few quotes...
    It is not a video game, nor is it a replacement for traditional Assassin’s Creed games. It is a platform that will host both past and future Assassin’s Creed entries.
    Infinity is somewhat of a launcher. But rather than displaying games as a library-like collection, like in Steam or Ubisoft Connect, Infinity will wear the guise of an in-universe Animus interface. New entries in the series will be displayed as DNA memories rather than games.
    From now on, Infinity will be the home of the modern day or ‘meta’ storyline of the series.
    People who love just immersing themselves in the past will be able to jump right in there and never be interrupted or need to know who Desmond and Layla is. The implication, then, is that the main games will now be solely set in the past.
    The series is still (at least as far as we can see) built around the concept of single-player adventures in historical open worlds.

All of this sounds great to me.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    It's a good idea but I don't trust it at all in Ubisofts hands.

We already saw how little they care about ownership with the recent DLC shit.

We also saw what happens when something that's meant to be a huge, expanding game world gets too big - Destiny 2 sunsetting content people have paid money for.

I absolutely do not trust Ubisoft to not sunset entire games... sorry... DNA memories that people have fully paid for just becuase their install footprint is getting unweildy.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I don't have that concern. Not like Destiny 2 anyway. Let me be clear, I do not in any way approve of them sunsetting content in Destiny 2. I think it's despicable and they should be ashamed of themselves. But I can kind of at least understand why they did it. The nature of progression in that game and them wanting to roughly keep it seasonal is why they did that. Destiny 2 is more like an MMO and they want people to congregate in the latest, freshest areas. They also don't want new players to have to play through 4 years of content in order to get to the relevant stuff so they can play with their friends. It's problems that all MMOs have. Being someone who plays WoW a ton, I am familiar with sunsetting content because WoW does it too. I hate it there as well, but I understand why they do it.

I absolutely think there's a better solution. But it is probably more expensive to implement and would require a lot more forethought and pre-planning. Easier to just remove content that is no longer relevant to the current season of play. So again, I understand why they do it, but I absolutely do not approve. I think they should make the extra effort to make all content available and in some way remain relevant.

I say all of that to say this... Each AC game will still be a standalone singeplayer product from what they have said. And players are still free to pick and choose a la carte which games they buy. So my Infinity animus might look different from yours, which might look different from someone else's. I don't think they will sunset entire games, because they aren't linked. Not like the expansions of Destiny 2 (or WoW) which build on top of each other and lead to unwieldy and large towers of content.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm just getting confused as to why purpose Infinity is going to serve.
    If I want to play Mirage or Valhalla, I could just select them from the home menu, or I could go into a separate launcher, and then launch them from there? Why would I need the extra step?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    I just want a more linear mission structure, sure have some open space/countryside to explore but missions should be contained and in a set order, else the pacing and story takes a significant hit. Odyssey was fine as it was a case of following the trail across the islands, but Valhalla where you could do any one of 3 or more different beats in any order ended up really disjointed.

Never got around to Valhalla. I'm not really into vikings and nothing I heard post-release sounded compelling.

Maybe they should do a long-running protagonist like Ezio?

The long running protag in those games is modern, like Desmond was.

Yeah, I haven't paid attention to the modern storyline since AC3. I've thought the modern storyline was trash since AC: Brotherhood.

To me it's just a fancy loading screen. There's a reason one of the selling points for Infinity is "you can skip the modern day stuff." I'm glad it's there for the people that enjoy it, but that is not me.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I don't have that concern. Not like Destiny 2 anyway. Let me be clear, I do not in any way approve of them sunsetting content in Destiny 2. I think it's despicable and they should be ashamed of themselves. But I can kind of at least understand why they did it. The nature of progression in that game and them wanting to roughly keep it seasonal is why they did that. Destiny 2 is more like an MMO and they want people to congregate in the latest, freshest areas. They also don't want new players to have to play through 4 years of content in order to get to the relevant stuff so they can play with their friends. It's problems that all MMOs have. Being someone who plays WoW a ton, I am familiar with sunsetting content because WoW does it too. I hate it there as well, but I understand why they do it.

Does Wow really do it in the same way though? I haven’t been really up on Wow in a couple of years but I always felt like they made a decent effort to integrate old content especially recently, with things like rotating legacy raids and dungeons, letting people choose their level up expansion, Classic Wow servers, etc.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The modern day storyline was so cool and intriguing through the Altair and Ezio games. That's what made me so fascinated with the series originally.

Then ACIII happened.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Arteen wrote: »
    The modern day storyline was so cool and intriguing through the Altair and Ezio games. That's what made me so fascinated with the series originally.

Then ACIII happened.

They shit all over it.

MASSIVE AC3 spoilers:
    Subject 4, out of nowhere. Presumably to make gamers like me wonder who the fuck Subject 4 was and then go spend money and time on a tie-in novel that we didn't want (and for the record I never bought or read).

Vidic's inane "plan." I just don't get it. It made NO SENSE. He was supposed to be this brilliant mastermind but he kidnaps Desmonds father and tells him to bring the apple. He knows what the apple can do. What the fuck did he fucking think was going to fucking happen? Predictably, you go into Abstergo and blow everyone's fucking heads off, including Vidic's. This actually pissed me off more than the ending itself. It was here that I realized Ubisoft hated us. Fuck you, Ubisoft. Fuck. You.

And don't get me wrong, the ending sucked too. It was such as haphazard "ok, we're done with Desmond" brush off bullshit ending. Fuck you.

Rarely does poor writing actually make me fucking hate people, but I hate whoever was involved in writing any of that. I don't know who it was, I don't want to know, but fuck them and fuck the game designers and fuck whoever else was involved in greenlighting anything involved with the modern day storyline in AC3. Fuck them all.

Drez on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    There's apparently an Assassin's Creed Netflix game coming, to tie into the new AC show?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Fate of Atlantis is weird.

I don't think I really understood how they structured it, atleast the first episode. Seems like they actually expected you to complete the entire map to progress? Which would be pretty annoying if you were at the point where you were tired and just wanted to speed through the story. I remember doing most of the story quests and then just...nothing.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

Ubisoft have come out and said it will not have gambling or anything like that, and the rating was just a mistake

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

Ubisoft have come out and said it will not have gambling or anything like that, and the rating was just a mistake

That's good to know. I took it to mean loot box gambling either way

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Then ACIII happened.

They shit all over it.

MASSIVE AC3 spoilers:
    Subject 4, out of nowhere. Presumably to make gamers like me wonder who the fuck Subject 4 was and then go spend money and time on a tie-in novel that we didn't want (and for the record I never bought or read).

Vidic's inane "plan." I just don't get it. It made NO SENSE. He was supposed to be this brilliant mastermind but he kidnaps Desmonds father and tells him to bring the apple. He knows what the apple can do. What the fuck did he fucking think was going to fucking happen? Predictably, you go into Abstergo and blow everyone's fucking heads off, including Vidic's. This actually pissed me off more than the ending itself. It was here that I realized Ubisoft hated us. Fuck you, Ubisoft. Fuck. You.

And don't get me wrong, the ending sucked too. It was such as haphazard "ok, we're done with Desmond" brush off bullshit ending. Fuck you.

Rarely does poor writing actually make me fucking hate people, but I hate whoever was involved in writing any of that. I don't know who it was, I don't want to know, but fuck them and fuck the game designers and fuck whoever else was involved in greenlighting anything involved with the modern day storyline in AC3. Fuck them all.

This is interesting because I actually really liked AC3 and wondered why people hated it but I played it before AC1 and 2 so I had no idea what was going on with the modern stuff and treated it as a commercial break.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

Then ACIII happened.

They shit all over it.

MASSIVE AC3 spoilers:

This is interesting because I actually really liked AC3 and wondered why people hated it but I played it before AC1 and 2 so I had no idea what was going on with the modern stuff and treated it as a commercial break.

The first four AC games prior to AC3 all had the general throughline of training Desmond to become a master assassin.
    Then all that time spent with Desmond is thrown in the trash thanks to an arbitrary sacrifice button apparently only Desmond can press. Desmond barely got to do anything assassin-y! I've been waiting years and multiple games for all this to culminate!

Ever since, there's been a gaping hole in the modern day storyline where Desmond used to be, and Ubisoft still hasn't recovered from it.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't really have any huge issue with how the whole plot of the series up to 3 goes down. But I think it's at that point that everybody starts to realize the obvious. There's never going to be a definitive "ending" to this story, because Ubisoft is just going to crank this series out in perpetuity. It's never going to fully lead to something, which means there can never be any satisfying ultimate payoff.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I don't really have any huge issue with how the whole plot of the series up to 3 goes down. But I think it's at that point that everybody starts to realize the obvious. There's never going to be a definitive "ending" to this story, because Ubisoft is just going to crank this series out in perpetuity. It's never going to fully lead to something, which means there can never be any satisfying ultimate payoff.

That's why I'm glad they're sidelining the modern stuff to optional content. If the franchise itself has no defined endpoint, which is fine, then at least give individual entries full arcs. While the Ezio Trilogy strung along certain plot points game to game, each entry is a complete story on its own. That said, Revelations is a DLC pack dressed up as a full game.

• Options
    edited September 2022

cowards

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    To be fair (to who? me?), the mistreatment of the modern day storyline is only one of myriad issues I had with Assassin's Creed III. The mission design is terrible. The optional challenges - and I do not care that they were "optional" - were the worst of the worst. The. Worst. $@#(*&U#^&*)(#&)*(@#!)_&(*!)*(_@)_(*@! Run through a crowded town without bumping into anyone. FUCK YOU.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

Then ACIII happened.

They shit all over it.

MASSIVE AC3 spoilers:

The first four AC games prior to AC3 all had the general throughline of training Desmond to become a master assassin.
    Then all that time spent with Desmond is thrown in the trash thanks to an arbitrary sacrifice button apparently only Desmond can press. Desmond barely got to do anything assassin-y! I've been waiting years and multiple games for all this to culminate!

Ever since, there's been a gaping hole in the modern day storyline where Desmond used to be, and Ubisoft still hasn't recovered from it.

I guess that's what happens when you fire the lead writer after AC2 :S

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Then ACIII happened.

They shit all over it.

MASSIVE AC3 spoilers:

They had to make room on payroll for more sex pests (I don't know, maybe the writer also was one).

• Options

Then ACIII happened.

They shit all over it.

MASSIVE AC3 spoilers:

They had to make room on payroll for more sex pests (I don't know, maybe the writer also was one).

If they were it was probably accidental that they fired him based on Ubisofts history.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

Curiously they also said they’ve abandoned NFTs and they were just doing “research”. I am working to verify but speculation is this game had NFTs of some kind and the ESRB has decided that constitutes a form of gambling. Either way it’s hilarious to see them rapidly abandon NFTs after insisting they were here to stay and gamers just didn’t get it.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Didn't the Ghost Recon Wild Lands NFTs flame out hard?

Everyone talks a big game until there's money being lost

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Didn't the Ghost Recon Wild Lands NFTs flame out hard?

Everyone talks a big game until there's money being lost

Wildlands never had NFTs?

Breakpoint probably did though.