As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Bent mostly. I've never tried a straight let squat before.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular

Not the cleanest lift, with plenty of hitching at the top, but I hit my goal of a 200kg sumo deadlift today.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    Switched to 5/3/1 and I’m in week 1 of the program. The volume is absolutely wild for me but I think it’ll definitely benefit my OHP and bench which have been lagging significantly.

So after the escalating weights for 6 sets, I do 5x5 at a low percent of my training max. Today it was my OHP at 50 lbs. I couldn’t help but laugh as I put away the 2.5 lb plates once I finished because despite the tiny weight I actually left the final set with the common thought of “damn, I’m strong as hell!”

Anyway, felt like progress today and I’m excited to press forward as my sleep and diet have been steadily improving

League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
  • Options
    eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    AJR wrote: »

Not the cleanest lift, with plenty of hitching at the top, but I hit my goal of a 200kg sumo deadlift today.

Even with the hitching you look strong as hell. Really impressive and you’ll hit it cleaner next time!

League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I've been having a real rough time getting to the gym. I'm having to be at my second job earlier than I used to be to learn stuff so instead of going in whenever I get done working out I've been having to skip the workout hoping I can get it later in the day. Of course I end up working 7 or 8 hours and get off by 4 when the gym is most busy and don't have the energy or the willpower to make myself go.

So when I do get in I feel week and flabby and it's like a morale hit, too!

I may have to drop to a three day a week program even though I feel best if I do 4 minimum. But between my regular job and this one I just don't have a lot of recovery time. Before it was because of swing shifts, then I finally got to day shift and thought neat! But then I somehow got even more involved at another thing that's now backfilling my recovery time with more work lol lmao

Juggernut on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    So do a bodyweight workout at home or go do some hill sprints or something for your fourth day.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    So do a bodyweight workout at home or go do some hill sprints or something for your fourth day.

I decided I'm gonna go back to the vaguely P90x-esque programs I started on way back when that comprise mainly high intensity body weight and dumbbell exercises with short 45 second to 1 minute rest pauses and about two conditioning days thrown in a week. It's designed to be done in roughly 25-30 minutes and I can do 90% of them in my apartment lobby gym.

So, not ideal for my long term strength goals, but it's 5 days of working out where I break a hard sweat, get an extra hour of sleep, and I'm out in like, half the time. It'll probably have to do for a while until my schedule cools off and I can get back under the bar proper without having to cut my workouts short and feel like I'm missing stuff.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    Well you can still be successful with 3x a week in the gym and find ways to still exercise outside of actually going to the gym but do what works best for your schedule and time constraints!

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    What have you all found to be useful for training grip? It seems to be the thing I've lost the most ground on, having missed years of lifting.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    What have you all found to be useful for training grip? It seems to be the thing I've lost the most ground on, having missed years of lifting.

Using dumbbells for exercises seems to help my forearm strength. I've never done the little squeezer things though.

Farmers Carries, I think, are like the prototypical grip workout?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Using dumbbells for exercises seems to help my forearm strength. I've never done the little squeezer things though.

Farmers Carries, I think, are like the prototypical grip workout?

Longer farmers carries would also add in a bit of cardio, something I've never managed to make myself do regularly. And my current gym actually has a decent amount of space for them!

• Options
    21oz framing hammer, mechanical work, or butcher

More seriously, heavy holds, plate pinches, wrist/forearm curls, bucket of rice, I’ve done finger walks with sledge hammers or random pieces of rubber, captains of crush are good, hex dumbbell holds or small KB holds, from the non handle side. Towel pull-ups, any kind of fat grip implement.

Breakdown cardboard by hand

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    A strongman I follow claims the best thing for his grip at the start was one handed hangs from a chinup bar, I think he used bodyweight, but he's much heavier than your average person.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I had a tooth out last week and I'm waiting for it to heal before I do anything. But I'm pleasantly surprised that I still have the itch to go lift weights. I'm pretty good at accidentally breaking habits, bad or good, and I'm pleased that I'm still wanting to do it even if I can't.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Hanging from an edge is more effective, but weighted hangs from a pullup bar will work

Speaking of which I'm going to target pullups for a set of 5 with 38kgs of added weight this training block. That'd be an extra 50% of my bodyweight and a good little PB for 5 reps

Solar on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Daimar wrote: »
    A strongman I follow claims the best thing for his grip at the start was one handed hangs from a chinup bar, I think he used bodyweight, but he's much heavier than your average person.

In all fairness, I think one handed hangs from a chinup bar are hard no matter what your bodyweight is unless you've done a fair amount of training specifically for it.

Side note, hanging from a chinup bar and farmers' walks are also pretty good for your shoulders, if you're looking for fringe benefits.

Getting back to training after having Covid has been a real asshole, by the time I'm done with work and family stuff I'm pretty wiped and it's been a week and a half (since I was mostly symptom free and tested negative). Fucking pandemics.

Peen on
  • Options
    Only the Boogz could get Jujimufu to assume the role of the straight man in a comedy duo (and only on the Internet could you ever write a sentence like that), this is a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QzlAh3ozwg

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I could accomplish so much if I had Eric Bugenhagen's energy for just one day

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    You too can optimize your hormones and slam caffeine

• Options
    I'm sure it's the caffeine

• Options
  • Options
    Jesus Christ jujimufu got big since I watched him last

• Options
    Jesus Christ jujimufu got big since I watched him last

C A F F E I N E

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    I'm sure it's the caffeine

Caffeine cypionate and green tren extract

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    A month later, another SSB PR, and another last rep ground out with my hands off the handles. This is officially a thing and I need to do something to secure my hands on the handles during PR attempts.

So, what is my story for when my wife catches me handcuffed to my SSB? At least it’s not an inanimate object that is even remotely human shaped?

• Options
    Man, do I love this hobby/sport/whatever. Couldn’t lock out the last rep on a PR set of below the knee pause deads. Took forty seconds or so to catch my breath, said fuck you, and nailed it. Such a great feeling.

• Options
    I found a pair of 45s and a pair of 35s at Play It Again sports for 79 cents a pound so I think I finally have enough weight. Feels good!

Also a 7lb mace for 15$, I can do mace stuff again without hurting myself, also good.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Also a 7lb mace for 15$, I can do mace stuff again without hurting myself, also good.

Did your previous mace still have the spikes on it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nah it was just too heavy for someone who'd never really maced and I jacked my shoulder up. Turns out static lift strength may not translate directly to twirling heavy things around, who knew!

• Options
    Alright so I gave pivoting to quicker workouts a shot for about a month and while the extra sleep and convenience was great I think I managed to gain a few pounds so I'm back in the gym.

Gonna take a 4 day Upper/Lower program and break it down into 3 days and maybe do the full 4 on my short weeks.

I was just in this weird place where I had enough stamina and endurance to knock out 30 minutes of high intensity workouts and feel like I didn't really do anything sometimes? Like, I'd hammer it and be winded and sweaty but I'd get done and still feel like I had a good amount left in the tank. But now I'm back trying to squat and holy shit fuck damn one month off and this is awful.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    I always forget how much bulking turns me into Godzilla in the gym. Feels like I’m lifting on the moon. Even when I get shitty sleep, my recovery is way up from the extra calories.

Gork on
  • Options
    First set of deadlifts in over a month moved well.

Worked up to 225lbs and only had to cut my middle set short at 3 reps in because my lower back started getting squirrely. Took a rest, reset, braced WAY harder and really drove my lats back and moved the complete 5 reps for my last set like a champ.

I think weirdly enough that's the one move that always comes back to me the quickest despite being the thing that initially set off my chain reaction of injuries. My bench has plummeted and I've still got some kind of weird strain in my right bicep (that I have no idea what caused but has been a thing for months) that makes some chest moves iffy if I push it too hard.

Squats are still trash butts.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    ChadBot just got an update to add in warmup sets for the main movement of the day. It now tells you literally what plates to load for each warmup set (like not just a weight but the exact plates to use) and then, based on your feedback of how the warmup went, picks the next warmup and then eventually your working weight. It’s similar to how working sets are calculated, but based on how the set felt rather than a specific RPE.

I love it, since it actually tells me to push harder than what is prescribed when warmups are going well (or slow my role if they are shit), and I’ve turned over all control of my training. At the same time, this should be intuitive stuff if you’re an experienced lifter.

Gork on
  • Options
    Doing lighter weight but slow slow slow reps are wicked. Doing dumbbell incline presses at 30 pounds but taking about 4 seconds up and 4 seconds down and by set three I'm lucky to be pushing 8 to 10 reps.

My chest is spicy

• Options
    Question for the folks who have fucked with strongman; if I want to get a sandbag but I don’t know what weight to pick, what’s the carry over from deads? Is there a percentage you would approximate? I suppose heavier is better and then I can adjust the filling level, but just curious if anyone has an idea.

• Options
    Gork wrote: »
    Question for the folks who have fucked with strongman; if I want to get a sandbag but I don’t know what weight to pick, what’s the carry over from deads? Is there a percentage you would approximate? I suppose heavier is better and then I can adjust the filling level, but just curious if anyone has an idea.

Treat it like stones, whatever your max deadlift is your sandbag is gonna be half that. I don’t use mine frequently but maybe once or twice a month as a break from the bar.

The 220 I can do, but it’s pretty rough going heavy every single time.

So maybe pick one that is slightly under that for consistent use or buy two, one light and one medium-heavy. I do enjoy using the 100 or the 150 for conditioning.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I have a max deadlift of like 375. I've been using 150 lb sandbags for things like over the shoulders or carries, and that's a good challenging weight. I could maybe do stuff with like a 200, but it'd be like 1 or 2 reps max (don't have access to one so haven't tried).

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Play It Again continues to be a gold mine, my kid needed a field hockey stick so we went over and they had a set of like-new 5-50 powerblocks with the pedastal for $140, you could have knocked me over with a feather.

• Options
    Speaking of fucking with strongman, who knew doing an uphill tractor pull at a Halloween festival at a farm would tire out your legs and is probably not a great idea on a squat day?

…everyone except me? Right. Just couldn’t help myself, though. At least my three year old was impressed.

• Options
    What’s the point of lifting if you don’t perform feats of strength on occasion?

This discussion has been closed.