As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Morrowind

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I had a constant effect belt with water breathing and restore fatigue 2 pts.

Water breathing should be put on first, as it multiplies the first effect when you put a second one on.

Then I made a CE ring with Fatigue 2 pts and health 4 pts

The first big Enchants you should make in any morrowind game

The Black Hunter on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    In response to Impersonator's inquiries:

Ingredients are used in alchemy. The higher the skill, the more likely you will gain some effect when eating an ingredient, be able to see the effects when mousing over an ingredient, and make potions out of ingredients. For more info on alchemy, see this page.

Intelligence affects your total amount of Magicka, and the skills associated with that stat (Alchemy, Conjuration, Enchant, and Security).

To level up, increase your major and minor skills. Eventually you should get a message saying to "rest and meditate on what you've learned". When this happens, the next time you sleep in a bed, your level will increase, and you'll be able to increase three of your attributes. For a more detailed explanation, see this page.

The decision to buy training is up to you. Just keep in mind that training gets more expensive as the skill gets higher, and that you get better deals with people who like you. If you are getting frustrated with the sucess rate of a skill, and think you can afford the training, then it is definately something to consider.

As others have said, the House factions are exclusive, and there are a few conflicts between different factions, so you might find yourself unable to join a faction based on your previous actions with another faction. That's not much of an issue, though, and as to the Imperial Cult specifically, I do not believe they have any significant conflicts with the other joinable factions.

Dizzen on
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You guys suck/rock. I just re-re-re-re-re-reinstalled this game again thanks to this thread.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Character Creation

The following races receive bonuses to their Alchemy skill:
    +10 Bonus: Altmer, +5 Bonus: Argonian, Bosmer, Breton

The following classes have Alchemy as a Major skill:
    Bard, Witchhunter

The following classes have Alchemy as a Minor skill:
    Assassin, Battlemage, Crusader, Healer, Mage, Pilgrim, Scout, Spellsword

from http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Alchemy

I'm a rogue :? does that I mean I can't do any alchemy?

Impersonator on
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Character Creation

The following races receive bonuses to their Alchemy skill:
    +10 Bonus: Altmer, +5 Bonus: Argonian, Bosmer, Breton

The following classes have Alchemy as a Major skill:
    Bard, Witchhunter

The following classes have Alchemy as a Minor skill:
    Assassin, Battlemage, Crusader, Healer, Mage, Pilgrim, Scout, Spellsword

from http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Alchemy

I'm a rogue :? does that I mean I can't do any alchemy?

Any class can perform any skill in this game. It's just a matter of how good/sucky you are at it, and how long it takes you to get better.

One thing that made the whole game kind of *click* for me was realizing that classes are just templates that have already picked your main skills for you and put appropriate points into them.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    O I really wish that I could still put robes over my armor in Oblivion, I always took mine off before a fight in Morrowind as part of the roleplay, like whoosh, here is my armor you dumner son of a bitch, come and get some.

And after you all have had your fun going along, download this bitch

edit: and now for something completely different. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOEtwqHB1I8&feature=related

RoyceSraphim on
  • Barbaric_MonkeyBarbaric_Monkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anybody know of a good mod for +5 to all attributes on levelup? I hate having to find a trainer and train four or so more times in a skill just so I can get a 5 bonus to a stat. All I can find are mods for oblivion, yet I'm having no such luck with Morrowind.

Also, why can't I create a constant effect enchant? I have the Grand Soul Gem filled with a Winged Twilight (The one you can steal from the Mage's Guild in Balmora) but whenever I go to an enchanter and try to enchant an exquisite amulet, there is no "Constant" option. Perhaps I'm forgetting something, it's been a very long time since I've played this game.

Barbaric_Monkey on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anybody know of a good mod for +5 to all attributes on levelup? I hate having to find a trainer and train four or so more times in a skill just so I can get a 5 bonus to a stat. All I can find are mods for oblivion, yet I'm having no such luck with Morrowind.

Also, why can't I create a constant effect enchant? I have the Grand Soul Gem filled with a Winged Twilight (The one you can steal from the Mage's Guild in Balmora) but whenever I go to an enchanter and try to enchant an exquisite amulet, there is no "Constant" option. Perhaps I'm forgetting something, it's been a very long time since I've played this game.
    You need a golden saint or better.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
    edited January 2008
    Thought Winged Twilight was above Golden Saint, thanks.

Barbaric_Monkey on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm totally playing this in a window right now.

august on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Supposedly, this will, although I haven't tried it myself.

Dizzen on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nope, there are no sey classes.

A classes just gives you some starting skills and dictates what skills you level up with

The Black Hunter on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thanks you guys, you've been really helpful :)

I'm playing Morrowind at a slow pace but I'm enjoying it like I never enjoyed a game before, I must say, I had given up on games pretty much, I sold my entire collection, PS2, GC, DC, PSone and a whole lot of games, and have been solely surviving with flash and puzzle PC games, yet Morrowind comes along and gives me a joy I had never experienced with its gripping and vibrating world that just absorbs me completely and and..oh..I think I'm in <3

Impersonator on
    edited January 2008
    Speaking of <3, I met a beautiful young woman on the bus who liked all the games as me and in her words "was such a dark elf" when it came to morrowind. WHen all was said and done, I forgot to get her number or email address or myspace page. But she has my name and the address of one of my social haunts sooo....I screwed up.

RoyceSraphim on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

For a different take on the level-up system try Galsiah's Character Development. It's somewhat modular, but what it does in a nutshell is dynamic calculation of stats/health/magicka as you raise your skills. Level-ups are pretty much a thing of the past. Jump around like a nutcase and your agility stat should go up after your acrobatics skill goes up several times, etc.

It does essentially the same as Kobu's Character Advancement for Oblivion (Kobu's Morrowind version is very different), for anyone who's familiar.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That's a great system, I wish I had used that. I've had a backlog of 3-4 levels for a long time now, because I insist on getting good multipliers.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The *5 multiplier is a bit much, if you ask me. Wind up maxxing strength/agility in eight levels, what the hell else do you do with all the levels you're inevitably going to gain? Unless you're heavily modded, you're not going to find anything tough enough to substantiate the gains. I guess I understand though. It feels so good to see that illuminated 5.

Tylerbroor on
    edited January 2008
    I'm one of those people that gets bugged if I'm not getting the most out of something. Yeah, +5 is a lot, but I'll look at a +4 and go "Well I might as well train once more just to max it out."

I'll give Galsiah's mod a shot, seems like it'll take away my problem entirely. Hurray for alternatives.

Barbaric_Monkey on
    edited January 2008
    I just prioritize what I train so that I can train my low blunt weapon skill and use that to chain a multiplier for strength. The multiplier basically goes up the more skills you train with that attribute.

RoyceSraphim on
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    for every 10 levels of a skills attribute you gain, you'll get the x5 multiplier. To get thing going, I'll train up to level 10, maxing 3 attributes with the x5 multiplier every level. I'll train 10 times in 2 misc skills, then 10 times in a major or minor skill to get the level up.

skill multiplier breakdown from the editor.
    mwskill.PNG

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Okay, so now I'm getting a bit irritated. The Thieves Guild will still not let me join. My Sneak and Security are both at 40 and my Personality/Agility are well above their minimum standards. I'm wondering if I'm being cockblocked because I joined the Fighter's Guild and made progress there before trying to join the Thieves Guild.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Golden Saint and Ascended Sleepers are the only two that'll do constant effect... well, there's another one, but I'll let you guess that.
    Gyral wrote: »
    Okay, so now I'm getting a bit irritated. The Thieves Guild will still not let me join. My Sneak and Security are both at 40 and my Personality/Agility are well above their minimum standards. I'm wondering if I'm being cockblocked because I joined the Fighter's Guild and made progress there before trying to join the Thieves Guild.
    There is a point in the Fighter's Guild line that can make it impossible to join the Thieves Guild. Have you taken the Code Book from Sottilde yet? http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Code_Book

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • LuckyStrikeYoLuckyStrikeYo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Just ran into the Telvanni advancement bug. Not sure if I want to go back to an old save or just kill every Telvanni counciler I see.

LuckyStrikeYo on
    Gemini Mind in BFBC2
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Probably. After a certain point you can't join competing guilds.

stigweard on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    drhazard wrote: »
    Golden Saint and Ascended Sleepers are the only two that'll do constant effect... well, there's another one, but I'll let you guess that.
    There is a point in the Fighter's Guild line that can make it impossible to join the Thieves Guild. Have you taken the Code Book from Sottilde yet? http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Code_Book

Yeah, I tried to join right after I finished the quest. Oh well, I guess I won't be doing the Thieves Guild this time.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You can always force your way in with the console, assuming you're on the PC version. You can also sidestep the Telvanni bug with the console.

Marty81 on
  • techacolyte42techacolyte42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I love Morrowind, I have a god of a character, with the ebony mail and skullcrusher, and I can just wander around and kill all who stand in my path.

Such an awesome game...

techacolyte42 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Peace on Earth and Flamethrowers for all mankind!!!!
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bringin' this baby back from the back of the board

I played Morrowind when it first came out, but at the time I didn't really "get" it. I was pretty overwhelmed. I got to about level 14 I think and stopped playing for who knows what reasons anymore.

I've been playing a lot of Oblivion on 360 though, and I figured it might be good to try Morrowind again, since it seems so many people like it more.

I grabbed some mods to make it prettier: Better Bodies, better textures for pretty much everything, etc. I tried adding a bit too much I think and had some crashing problems with like Combat Enhanced, so I'm sticking with just graphic upgrades because all the error messages get annoying. I did grab a mod that makes Sneak toggle-able because fuck holding that shit down all day.

Thing about better bodies, apparently you need to download clothes that support it? Because everyone still looks silly in their clothing. Is there a mod that changes everyone's clothes?

I plan on playing a Thief-ish guy with some magic thrown in. Is this viable?

Dark Elf
    Lover's Sign
    Major skills: Long Sword, Light Armor, Sneak, Security, Alchemy
    Minor skills: Destruction, Mysticism, Enchant, Marksman, Armorer

Like, are any weapon types dumb to use? It seems like swords are generally the better kind to get, but I love blunt weapons. And no magic regen makes me sad, is magic usable effectively?

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited February 2008
    I think The Lover kind of sucks. Go with Mage, Antronach, or Lady.

All weapon types are viable, although blades (short or long) are supposedly "better." Even so, my first character used a giant warhammer and routinely one-shotted things with sneak attacks, and my current character is doing just fine with spears.

Magic is usable effectively. To make it better, you might want to look for a fair magic regen mod, or learn to love enchanted items. I'd think twice about taking both destruction and marksman, though. Good magic schools to have are alteration, illusion, restoration, mysticism, and enchant...well hell, actually, they're all good.

Personally, I'd change your build to this:

Dark Elf
    Lady sign
    Major skills: Weapon Skill, Light Armor, Sneak, Alchemy, Enchant
    Minor skills: Illusion, Mysticism, Restoration, Marksman, Armorer
    Favored attributes: Luck and something else

Moved security to a misc skill. Alternatively, you can use Alteration+Open+Probes for all your security-related business. If you want to take that route, take Alteration over Mysticism.

Keep in mind that your character can evolve in any direction, and your build is really just a starting point. If you find an awesome sword 30 hours in but your main weapon skill is blunt, you'll probably have enough money that you can go train 50 points in swords and immediately be proficient with it, for example.

Marty81 on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I figured Lover's would be good because it gives +25 Agility which is good for a stealth stuff.

Also, I'm used to Oblivion where you have a hammer to repair and a lockpick to unlock. What are probes and repair tongs for?

And is there a way to change your chosen skills in the console?

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    edited February 2008
    I figured Lover's would be good because it gives +25 Agility which is good for a stealth stuff.

Yeah, but the overall effect of agility isn't much. Besides, the Lover only gives you 25 points, whereas the Lady gives you 50...25 in endurance and 25 in personality. Endurance is just flat-out awesome, and I've found that high personality and speechcraft (just train it up to 70 or so) are great things to have, regardless of how good of a thief you are.
    Also, I'm used to Oblivion where you have a hammer to repair and a lockpick to unlock. What are probes and repair tongs for?

Probes are for disarming traps. Repair tongs are just another type of repair hammer.

dunno.

Marty81 on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You know, I've had this for years, but've never been able to finish it: once I get up to the part where
    you have to go to all the different house members and have them name you Hortator or whatever it is

the desire is just flat-out murdered and the game sits on the drive for another six months. Playing Oblivion in all of its modded glory is starting to inspire me again, though, and I'd actually like to finish it this time. Are there any good select mods that can take some of the suck out of the game?

Sorenson on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    While the main questline does have its moments most of its execution is just plain terrible. I only finished the game once, and it was when Oblivion was coming out- I probably logged hundreds of hours into it, but those were spent ignoring the main quest.
    I do have the urge to reinstall, but it's being kept at bay by memories of the terrible (terrible) travel system of inane retardedness. Die in a fire die die die.

Glal on
  • ZercofZercof Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jesus, the man hours I poured into Morrowind.

My biggest haunting was due to the "Overflow Loot Bag." Hours laying out a place to live, and boom, its all in a sac.

I finished the main quest only once, and only after spending the bulk of my time on side quests and dungeon raids.

Zercof on
    Zercof.png
    edited February 2008
    Marty81 wrote: »

Yeah, but the overall effect of agility isn't much. Besides, the Lover only gives you 25 points, whereas the Lady gives you 50...25 in endurance and 25 in personality. Endurance is just flat-out awesome, and I've found that high personality and speechcraft (just train it up to 70 or so) are great things to have, regardless of how good of a thief you are.
    Probes are for disarming traps. Repair tongs are just another type of repair hammer.
    dunno.

Ahhh, thanks. Agility really doesn't do much? Hmm... The Atronach sign in Oblivion gave you 2x Magicka, 50% Spell Absorb, but you couldn't regen. I see in Morrowind it's pretty much the same thing, but it says "Stunted Magicka." What does that mean, since there's no regen anyway?

I might go with that because man more Magicka would be wonderful plus the absorb would be pretty nice...

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "Stunted Magicka" in Morrowind means that you'll never recover mana by resting. It's honestly not a big deal, just go absorb some spells or make some magic refilling potions.

Silpheed on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    While the main questline does have its moments most of its execution is just plain terrible. I only finished the game once, and it was when Oblivion was coming out- I probably logged hundreds of hours into it, but those were spent ignoring the main quest.
    I do have the urge to reinstall, but it's being kept at bay by memories of the terrible (terrible) travel system of inane retardedness. Die in a fire die die die.

The travel system being "walk everywhere"? :lol:

I can't imagine playing it on console without the....um....console.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    "Stunted Magicka" in Morrowind means that you'll never recover mana by resting. It's honestly not a big deal, just go absorb some spells or make some magic refilling potions.

It really does change the way the game plays, though, so consider this long and hard before you decide on your birthsign. I usually just take the Lady, as every character needs endurance and every character benefits from personality.

Marty81 on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote: »

It really does change the way the game plays, though, so consider this long and hard before you decide on your birthsign. I usually just take the Lady, as every character needs endurance and every character benefits from personality.
    If you aren't using Destruction as your ranged damage dealer, then you might as well take the Atronach as your birthsign. You'll pretty much never run out of spellpoints and the spell absorbtion is a godsend. If you are a full-on Mage then you should probably go with the Apprentice or the Mage instead.

Silpheed on
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love the Morrowind traveling system and kind of hate fast travel in Oblivion.

Regicid3 on
This discussion has been closed.