As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghostbusters: Negative Fear Response to Spectral Apparitions, Guarrenteed

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    It looks like the Tobin's Spirit Guide is part of the Evil Spirits Plan, so we might get iconic ghosts that are from the Guide?

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Penumbra wrote: »
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tN5pcQxafpY

This was announced today and it has my interest PKed.

I guess it’s going to come down to the story but at first blush I’m down for it.

You get an "Awesome" for that pun.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So, I just realized I've done nothing to get ready for the upcoming proton pack and figured I should get started on my costume before there's a big halloween rush. Someone linked a great resource for making a ghostbusters costume, complete with which kind of flight suit, kneepads, boots etc. etc. to buy, but like a dumbass I didn't bother to bookmark it and I've had difficulty finding it on my own. Does anyone have a link handy?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Penumbra wrote: »
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tN5pcQxafpY

This was announced today and it has my interest PKed.

I guess it’s going to come down to the story but at first blush I’m down for it.

You get an "Awesome" for that pun.

So this is one of those asymmetrical shooters like Dead by Daylight or Evolve?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So, I just realized I've done nothing to get ready for the upcoming proton pack and figured I should get started on my costume before there's a big halloween rush. Someone linked a great resource for making a ghostbusters costume, complete with which kind of flight suit, kneepads, boots etc. etc. to buy, but like a dumbass I didn't bother to bookmark it and I've had difficulty finding it on my own. Does anyone have a link handy?

GBFans.com has tons of resources both on their main page and in the forums. They have a good store too but get very busy come October.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My Hasbro Pulse Proton Pack arrived today. Very nice for essentially a toy. The wand plugs right in and turning it on also turns on the pack's lights.

Still messing around with it but I think I'm going to clean it up and have it be my back-up pack.

Here is a recent video of Adam Savage weathering his Hasbro Pack.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=a727MV1HrmY&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Wish I had gotten my outfit together; I imagine there's going to be a huge rush now.

• Options
    I attached an Alice frame I’ve had floating around for year except clearly the reason I never used it is that it is a knock off frame without the cut outs at the bottom. I was still able to attach it, just without being able to use the two long bolts and spacers. Was very easy to do with the included hardware, just need to get a real frame.

Also I might be stupid but there is an entire extra toggle switch on the outside of the pack just below the gearbox. It doesn’t seem to do anything?

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    They put the extra switch there as it’s on the movie pack as well, but left it free for people to mod functions on to.

• Options
    This thing is even more impressive in person.
    R6YySfU.jpg

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Tell us about the Twinkies.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    Tell us about the Twinkies.

I had to make a 9:30pm trek to the store because I was short 2 of the 4 D batteries that thing runs off of. Figured I should get something else besides batteries while I was there.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Hey, ghostbusters thread, I got my ALICE frame in and I want to make sure I didn't buy a knockoff or something. This is what I bought

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KD3GTE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works, though it's not very comfortable if you bend over as there's no padding on the middle spine. My only issue is that if I try to lift it by the straps the wrong way, the top threads come completely undone. I tried lifting hte pack off the stand, the strap started coming off so I grabbed the other strap and IT started coming off. Thankfully I was able to catch the pack before it fell onto the coffee table it was on, but I can't be having it fall off if I'm running around, ya know.

This is how I have it set up right now.
    jgiVwPd.jpg

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I'd check the stop straps to see how they are threaded. I can't really tell from the picture though. I took some pictures of how mine are threaded on a real Vietnam War Alice LC1 frame and they don't have any trouble staying on with like triple the weight of the Haslab pack.

If it is threaded the same way it might be a knock off? You could check any army surplus stores in your town, they probably have some for sure real vintage frames, or at least the straps.
    m4rxka2ef32l.jpeg
    fcqdp7bxlqkj.jpeg

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Yeah, that's how mine are threaded, they just slide through under the right circumstances.

Apparently this is a problem with certain types of newer straps. They're either thinner or slippier than the older kind. A suggested fix I've found is to just sew or rivet them together and use the lower straps for adjustment.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Yeah, that's how mine are threaded, they just slide through under the right circumstances.

Apparently this is a problem with certain types of newer straps. They're either thinner or slippier than the older kind. A suggested fix I've found is to just sew or rivet them together and use the lower straps for adjustment.

Yeah I never touch my upper straps. All the adjustment is from the lower ends.

Also it is a bit more comfortable when you add the pipe foam to the top bar. For 1/2 movie accuracy get some gaffer's tape and cover it. Not sure what it uses in the new movie.

• Options
    Ah, shit. I waited too long (wasn't sure about my measurements because I'm a short guy) and it appears the small flight suit on gbfans has a 90 lead time, so if I want it by Halloween, it probably ain't happening. Any ideas?

• Options
    Ah, shit. I waited too long (wasn't sure about my measurements because I'm a short guy) and it appears the small flight suit on gbfans has a 90 lead time, so if I want it by Halloween, it probably ain't happening. Any ideas?

Military Surplus store or anywhere that sells tan flight suits.

• Options

I live in a town of 30,000 that has no road in or out.

• Options

I live in a town of 30,000 that has no road in or out.

Anywhere online that sells TRU-SPEC Men's 27-P Basic Flight Suit.

Remember you want one that is a bit baggy and the legs tuck into the boots.

• Options
    Oh, heh, they just sell them on the Tru-Spec website. Will cost me extra, but problem solved.

• Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, this thread is back -
    This is where I post Animal Crossing screenshots, right? 153z20hp6o35.jpg

0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Fantastic

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Hey, is there any reason I shouldn't just get Corcoran 1500 Jump Boots instead of 995's? I'm fine with being superficially authentic.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Very annoying that spirit halloween don't ship to the UK. How am I supposed to get my plastic but good looking proton pack now?

Mc zany on
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Okay, I basically have everything purchased. (For this year at least)

Got the flight suit from tru-spec. I'm a little worried I should have gotten a short medium (which they don't sell) instead of a regular small, but we'll see. I might need to do lose some inches off my belly.

Got replica boots and the belt (GBfans was backordered past halloween) from Magnoli Clothiers. I actually found a pair of the right boots (I think) while I was down south, but they were 1. Incredibly beat up (they were being sold for $20) and 2. Were a half size too big. I probably should have grabbed 'em anyway, and I probably would have if it only had one of those problems.

And picked up belt fobs, elbow pads, gloves, hose stuff and patches from GBfans. Hopefully everything gets here in time. I was going to get a cheapo PKE Meter for $40 on GBFans, but the shipping for everything was $90 for the slowest shipping; taking away the PKE Meter dropped it to only $20, so I upped it to priority shipping. I might just wait and see if Hasbro does anything with ghost traps, PKE meters or ecto goggles before I dive into those pirahna infested waters.

I'm going to call that good for now, with the exception of me being a hat wearing guy normalyl, so I wouldn't mind a Ghostbusters hat to go along with the outfit just to put a little bit of my own style on it. I found a pretty good one, but it's $15 shipping. For a hat. That would fit in an envelope! But it's the only one I've fond colored anything close to the suit.

https://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-Officially-Licensed-Flexfit-X-Large/dp/B0B7P7KQBK/

718IyQQJK7L._AC_UY1000_.jpg

Any better options on that one, or am I really going to have to spend $45 for a baseball cap. :)

EDIT: Also no belt gizmo, but I think I'll deal with that next time around since there doesn't seem to be a good place to get one outside of etsy.

EDIT: Also I want to say thank you to everyone here that's helped me so far, as well as mention how cool it is that the fandom has progressed to the point where a dumbass like me can assemble a cool costume like this without needing to make everything from scratch or go find it on my own.

The people that do this stuff from scratch are truly impressive.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Decided that this year October will be Ghostbusters month for me. Gonna watch the movies, play through the videogame, watch some of the cartoon (I doubt I'll finish it this month) and start a re-read of the IDW Ghostbusters comic.

Watching the first movie now and has there ever been a story about how the three original Ghostbusters met? Did they all just meet at the University or did they know each other from before it?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I suppose I assumed that Stantz and Spengler met in undergrad and met Venkman later, but I'm not sure why I got that feeling he was the new guy.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I always got the impression that it wasn't the first time Venkman had heard about Ray's house that they just remortgaged, if anything I always thought Peter and Ray had been friends the longest. Both Ray and Egon know what to expect and how to work around Peter so I think they've known each other a very long time and I can kind of see that friendship working even as kids with Ray and Egon doing the hard work and Peter looking out for them in his own way while working out ways to get rich from them.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Now I want a "Ghostbusters Kids" story.

But not like the usual type, one written for the target audience than can poke at some of the tropes that usually come from those cartoons. Something savvy, but feels genuine.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I feel like Ray and Egon would have found each other through their shared love of the occult, long before the University days.

Peter strikes me more as a guy who got into the weird stuff as a hustle (the very first time we see him he's using an ESP test to try and get into a girls pants), who thoroughly disbelieves all the supernatural junk ("I really think you finally went around the bend on this ghost stuff" "This reminds me of the time you tried drilling a hole in your head.") until he gets a face full of spooky librarian monster.

I figure he got stuck in the same department as Egon and Ray (who were legit believers) and wound up becoming friends as well as peers. Venkman obviously has a rapport with the other two by the time the movie starts so they had to have been working together for some time.

• Options
    There was supposed to be a Ghostbusters Year One comic from IDW, but I think it got COVID delayed and otherwise disappeared?

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I don't think there needs to be a Ghostbusters: Year One. Ghostbusters: Year One is the first movie where they become Ghostbusters

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    ghostbusters year zero is the tragic tale of human slimer dying

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Slimer's human form is actually discused in.. I think the Tobin's Spirit Guide that was released a few years back.

As for Ghostbusters Babies, I think you could do that as a short story or a 2-3 part comic arc; it doesn't need to be a big thing.

• Options
    I wouldn't want a 'they knew each other as kids ' thing, but whatever.

That Tobins Spirit Guide is a very cool cool too

• Options
    I just think it'd be a fun story seeing how a pair of seemingly crackpot scientists who operate on similar wavelengths, met up with a charlatan like Venkman and what those early encounters looked like.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I just think it'd be a fun story seeing how a pair of seemingly crackpot scientists who operate on similar wavelengths, met up with a charlatan like Venkman and what those early encounters looked like.

I mean... they wouldn't be able to see a ghost, because we know when the first time they saw a ghost was. When a story already started at the most interesting part, the prequel will be... not interesting. Many such cases.

• Options
    edited October 2023

I mean... they wouldn't be able to see a ghost, because we know when the first time they saw a ghost was. When a story already started at the most interesting part, the prequel will be... not interesting. Many such cases.

They don't need to see the ghost? It's about the characters, not the overall concept.

I personally would like to see the early interactions of those guys since they're already friends/collegues by the time we meet them.

EDIT: Like I'm not saying this should be the plot of a $150 million movie or anything; just a little short story or something.

Like it's the kind of thing I'm surprised we didn't get as an episode of the Real Ghostbusters.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

They don't need to see the ghost? It's about the characters, not the overall concept.

I personally would like to see the early interactions of those guys since they're already friends/collegues by the time we meet them.

EDIT: Like I'm not saying this should be the plot of a $150 million movie or anything; just a little short story or something.

Like it's the kind of thing I'm surprised we didn't get as an episode of the Real Ghostbusters.

Ghostbusters isn't about the characters... it is about the characters fighting Ghosts. Busting them, one could argue.