As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Alert 3! Insert lame "In Soviet Russia" joke here

• Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, if I'm reading this right we're only going to play this through as Nod?

That doesn't sound like a bad idea.... Primarily because if they're going to span the whole 20 years we're going to get a whole new look at the universe... I mean we ALWAYS see it from the GDI winning perspective, and if Nod wins then its Game Over for the world...

This is the TIE Fighter of the Command & Conquer universe.... So to speak... We'll play thourhg a lengthy time frame without having to worry about the fact that while you play as the "enemy" that you're just mucking things up over all.... Rather than having two 12 mission campaigns, or whatever, we can have a 24 mission campaign....

This thing has potential...

Kane's Wrath is supposedly 100% canon, so anything and everything that does happen throughout the NOD-only campaign fits with the GDI winning canon.

That's what I'm looking forward to.... Because we already know what's going on, we've got our own missions based as if we were winning or losing great vistories based on things that are already out there.... I'm not saying they're going to re-write it, they're going to go more indepth on it and blow our minds.... It's honestly going to be like the TIE Fighter of RTS games because you'll play as the enemy, but in a non crazy "We're going to dominate all" kind of way, there will be vistories and there will be loses, as per canon....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I had forgotten about Red Alert 3. I want this game.

Please to be having the different countries with special units. I liked how in multiplayer you could each play as Allies or Soviets, but the unique units always made things a little different. "Heh, I'll just sneak around the back of this French base an-OH GOD, THE GRAND CANNONS!!!"

I hope they bring back old characters, though I guess that'll be harder than getting the original Kane actor back. General Carville might be dead after all this time. I hope they get Romanov back. He was hilariously Russian. Yuri would be great too.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't know how they could fail with this - It just needs cheezy FMV with the studio's employees in ridiculous costumes, Tanya goin' around blowing shit up and gunning down infantry, and most importantly, the Tesla Coils.

zzzzzzZAAAAAAP

Also, with EA's new message of apology for its past of destroying creativity, I think it would build up real credit if they work out a deal with Petroglyph Games to let the original creators provide creative direction on what once was their brainchild.

And we could get Hellmarch on the soundtrack.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I always preferred regular CnC to RA. I'm probably about the only one.

I did really enjoy C&C3, it was a welcome return to what CnC is all about after the shambles that was Generals. However, the CnC formula is becoming a little stale, with RTS games like Supreme Commander out I don't know if I can love RA3 as much as I once loved the C&C universe games.

Prove me wrong EA and I will love you forever.

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man I was totally going to make this thread! Anyway... I hope they stick to the wacky style of RA2, which is the RA I love the most. "I don't give a wooden nickel about your legacy!"

I must say, I think EALA finally has a good understanding of how a C&C game is supposed to play. Generals doesn't even count as a C&C game to me. C&C 3 was a great game IMO, but the online community is just balls awful. But I think C&C 3 and Kanes Wrath are going to be great learning experiences for EALA which hopefully pore over in to RA3.

@Prawnstart: I don't think you can put C&C and SupCom in the same bag like that. They are RTS games sure, but they are so far apart that it becomes a style thing. People that like C&C's style will play the C&C games. People who like the Cap Point system will end up playing CoH and DoW. People who liked TA will end up with SupCom. Blizzard RTS games attract a whole different kind of RTS player as well. Its not all the same.

C&C has always felt like the Arcade Shooter of RTS games. Which is what I like about it. Hopefully RA3 is just as good as RA2+YR.

also:
    RUBBER BOOTS IN MOTION!
    NO BUDDY HERE BUT US TREES!
    GIVE ME YOUR LUNCH MONEY!
    YURI'S COLLECTION AGENCY!
    KIROV REPORTING!
    I'M LIKE A ROCK SIR!
    WAR MINER HERE!
    WORK HARDER SLAVES!
    BE ONE WITH YURI
    KOREA'S FINEST!
    AT LEAST I HAVE JOB!

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I always preferred regular CnC to RA. I'm probably about the only one.

I did really enjoy C&C3, it was a welcome return to what CnC is all about after the shambles that was Generals. However, the CnC formula is becoming a little stale, with RTS games like Supreme Commander out I don't know if I can love RA3 as much as I once loved the C&C universe games.

Prove me wrong EA and I will love you forever.

Nope, not the only one.. :P

I think I just got to enjoy C&C multiplayer with friends before online play turned everything into big tank rushes... and RA2 just didn't really do it for me, I don't really know why

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I enjoyed CnC 3 for a good bit there, but it felt shallow in its multi-player. I am such a fan of the Red Alert series though, it was my FIRST RTS game, Red Alert 1.

also:
    RUBBER BOOTS IN MOTION!
    NO BUDDY HERE BUT US TREES!
    GIVE ME YOUR LUNCH MONEY!
    YURI'S COLLECTION AGENCY!
    KIROV REPORTING!
    I'M LIKE A ROCK SIR!
    WAR MINER HERE!
    WORK HARDER SLAVES!
    BE ONE WITH YURI
    KOREA'S FINEST!
    AT LEAST I HAVE JOB!

Oh god I can hear all of them!

Where is the first decade disk?

I have to play now.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You know what C&C game was fun? Red Alert. You know what other one was fun? None of them. It's not that the other ones are awful, they're just total derivative shit with almost no thought put into them. Tiberium Wars wasn't a bad game, but it didn't bring anything to the party that we haven't seen a million times before.

A sequel just smacks of "Remember that awesome game we made over a decade ago? Well we're doing it again but with better graphics! IT'S GOT TANYA!".

If EA were the only game in town for RTS games I might give a shit, but as it stands, there are so many other studios doing the genre proud, not just rehashing the same formula over and over.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    PompaPompa Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Omeks wrote: »
    I had forgotten about Red Alert 3. I want this game.

Please to be having the different countries with special units. I liked how in multiplayer you could each play as Allies or Soviets, but the unique units always made things a little different. "Heh, I'll just sneak around the back of this French base an-OH GOD, THE GRAND CANNONS!!!"

yes, and fucking limed. France suited my style so well.

god im so excited. /runs off to play hell march in anticipation

Pompa on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh man, I forgot about the Decade collection. I need to buy this now.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The main thing I remember from Red Alert 2 is Tanya's Boobs and...

"HA.... PPPY BIRTHDAY"

Who can't love Crazy Ivan?

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm so excited a little bit if poo came out.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Eeeew..
    I loved shoving Chrono Legionnaire's into the IFV's and swaming things.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Right, looks like it's definitely time to replay through RA, RA2, and the associated expansions.

EddieDean on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    whitey9 wrote: »
    You know what C&C game was fun? Red Alert. You know what other one was fun? None of them. It's not that the other ones are awful, they're just total derivative shit with almost no thought put into them. Tiberium Wars wasn't a bad game, but it didn't bring anything to the party that we haven't seen a million times before.

Some people like rehashes of old games with better graphics - especially a franchise as quirky and ridiculous as the C&C universes.

Why fix something that isn't broken? Why not just polish it?

theSquid on
  • Options
    BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I never really played any of the other C&C games, but I loved me some Red Alert and Red Alert 2. I am excited about this. I just hope they reprise that song from Red Alert with the marching sounds and German-ness.

Boutros on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Please tell me they still have dogs :) Teslacoil tanks too?

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow, this is great news. Sweet propaganda art.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    ZanteZante Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hope they get Romanov back. He was hilariously Russian. Yuri would be great too.

Unfortunately Romanov's actor Nicholas Worth died last year of heart failure.

Zante on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh, wow. That sucks.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hope they bring back old characters, though I guess that'll be harder than getting the original Kane actor back. General Carville might be dead after all this time. I hope they get Romanov back. He was hilariously Russian. Yuri would be great too.

Uh... Why would they have a problem getting the original Kane actor back? He's in the C&C3 expansion.

Do you maybe mean like from a storyline perspective?

Oh, and I'd just like to say that I hope they don't pull anything stupid like the Red Alert 2 expansion pack. The campaigns in Yuri's Revenge were alright but god damn the multiplayer sucked.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Typically whenever they release a sequal they start "fresh", so everything is new again.... when they release expansions, they keep things the same... So its unlikely that we're going to see any of the old actors back, with the exception one character, most likely Tanya, who generally keeps the player tied to everything with a nastlagia burst....

Level I remember most was a bit of an odd one... I was in the counterstrike expansion pack, it was a mission where the Soviets were trying out their new missle subs, and the missles were nukes, hell I think even the torpedos were nukes... That one was entertaining...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    The main thing I remember from Red Alert 2 is Tanya's Boobs and...

"HA.... PPPY BIRTHDAY"

Who can't love Crazy Ivan?

"I lost a bomb, do you have it?"

Red Alert was my first RTS. Red Alert 2 was all kinds of awesome. I am excited.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Red Alert 2 was the most fun modding experience I ever had as a kid. The voxel-based vehicles could easily be edited without having to learn fucking Maya or whatever AND without having to draw a thousand different sprites, the unit data files were far more flexible than RA1 and yet far easier to use than the ones in Generals, etc. Great fun. You could make a tank that ran over other tanks. (Yes, I know, there already sort of was, but it was an APC and so it was significantly less awesome).

I don't even really remember how the game was before I started fucking with it, except that there were trained dolphins and giant squid. Yeah, those were the first to go.

Man, I'm getting the urge to reinstall it and start fucking with UNITSMD.INI again. I still have tens of gigabytes of downloadable units and buildings saved somewhere on my hard drive.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Not Uncle DaveNot Uncle Dave Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This could be where they tie it all together.

RA1 veterans may remember
    Kane as a mysterious advisor appearing in the Soviet campaign

and frankly i've been wondering exactly how the shit they're going to reconcile that, but the theory is that the alternate universe in which RA takes place is one and the same with the world in which tiberium strikes.

incidentally, anyone who shits on the "APC" tank-crusher never got the chance to fill it with guardian GIs or desolators, and THEN had them promote. that thing wrecked entire divisions of apocalypse tanks.

i will be very disappointed if yuri doesn't get at least a passing mention in the next RA, too...

Not Uncle Dave on
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

frylocked on
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    frylocked wrote: »
    Your image doesn't seem to display for me!

Anyway i sure hope i can do rediculious attacks with hundreds of russian conscripts again. And then when they are disctracted sacrifice my men and nuke them!

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My childhood demands I buy this on release day.
    It will demand vengeance if even one iota of bad russian dialect is missing or tesla coils don't exist as a base defence.

Time will tell. Sooner or later. Time will tell.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

and frankly i've been wondering exactly how the shit they're going to reconcile that, but the theory is that the alternate universe in which RA takes place is one and the same with the world in which tiberium strikes.

incidentally, anyone who shits on the "APC" tank-crusher never got the chance to fill it with guardian GIs or desolators, and THEN had them promote. that thing wrecked entire divisions of apocalypse tanks.

i will be very disappointed if yuri doesn't get at least a passing mention in the next RA, too...
    The thing with kane never actually happened. The story of every C&C game takes place as if the good guys won. That was the end of the Soviet Campaign, but not the real ending. It's been said before by the devs that RA and the Tib series have nothing in common.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hotpants wear you!

UnKnown Soldier on
  • Options
    Not Uncle DaveNot Uncle Dave Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

The thing with kane never actually happened. The story of every C&C game takes place as if the good guys won. That was the end of the Soviet Campaign, but not the real ending. It's been said before by the devs that RA and the Tib series have nothing in common.

Westwood devs?

the fact is, whoever won or lost, he was still *there*. it's like denying the death of commander seph, even though that happened in the Nod campaign. only the results and final stretches of the campaigns are non-canonical as far as i remember.

Not Uncle Dave on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    *looks at the title and sighs*

In Soviet Russia, dead horse beats you..

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    BRING BACK GENERAL CARVILLE!

That's my main requirement :D

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I will be looking forward to this.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The first Red Alert was supposed to be a prequal to the C&C series, hence why Kane appeared.... After Red Alert was such a big success they decided to let it be a universe of its own seperate from the C&C series.... That's why Kane shows up at the end...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_%26_Conquer:_Red_Alert#Connections_to_the_Tiberian_series
    On July 25th of the same year, a Command & Conquer: Renegade-themed modification for the game Crysis was officially announced by Electronic Arts, which is stated to directly link the first Red Alert game to Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn.[15]

THAT makes me happy...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Options
    ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Probably the best news I've heard in a while.

Wonder what happened to my discs...

It will be a silent Spring

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow, do I have some mixed feelings about this.

Command & Conquer, Red Alert and Tiberian Sun rank as some of my Greatest Games Ever.

Red Alert 2 and Tiberium Wars rank as some of my Greatest Disappointments Ever.

So I'll just have to wait and see I guess.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hell March or get the fuck out.

TheBog on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They haven't yet made a C&C game I haven't enjoyed, but the Red Alert games consistently delivered. I still do pick-up skirmishes on RA1 and 2 because they're just that much fun. I was a sucker for snipers, load two up in a pair of IFVs and you could pick off entire infantry columns from across the map.

But I agree, it's gotta have Klepacki. I re-bought RA2 because of a Best Buy promotional deal that gave away the soundtracks to the first four games along with it. The jukeboxes are just that awesome, they damn near make the games. Hell March for the ever-lasting win :^:

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    TheBog wrote: »
    Hell March or get the fuck out.

there must be hell march and a hell march remix

UnKnown Soldier on