As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Todd Wonderman

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Todd Wonderman!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Todd Wonderman

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    I kind of want Sentry to get included at some point.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    WARNING LEVEL 5 NERD ALERT

Wonder Man has ion based powers, a lot of which are very silly and OP. He started out with the super strength/speed/invulnerability triad and some electrical powers, the biggest being that he could power gadgets. So he had a jetpack and later a teleporter like the ones Cable and Deadpool have used, which he ran off his powers.

Later on he was able to fly by direct electromagnetic levitation, and teleport with other words. He became immortal after being killed by the Kree, but immortality is not exactly a weird one in Marvel, one Nick Fury (there are two) is well over 100 years old but the bootleg super serum a lot of SHIELD guys get greatly extends life.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Quality over quantity.

I feel like Disney is starting to throw so much quantity at me, that I've stopped being able to keep up, and hence stopped carrying. Give me to top tier quality, mix in some of the c-team quantity as part of that. But Captain Obscuro and the Virtually Unknowns don't need three 12 episode seasons on Disney+.

• PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    Invulnerable and healing? ...How would they even know about the latter? XD

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The specific source material isn't nearly as important as how they write it. I'd have said Danny the Street would be impossible for live action but the writers proved I am in fact a dumb dumb.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Quality over quantity.

I feel like Disney is starting to throw so much quantity at me, that I've stopped being able to keep up, and hence stopped carrying. Give me to top tier quality, mix in some of the c-team quantity as part of that. But Captain Obscuro and the Virtually Unknowns don't need three 12 episode seasons on Disney+.

This happened to me, only a lot earlier. My son was born a couple of weeks before Captain America. Which meant he continued to be a high maintenance grub when nine months later when Avengers came out. And I missed Thor, Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk for whatever reason. So I got off the boat at Iron Man and the backlog kept getting greater and greater and... eventually it became just like comics. I could see what the investment would be to get back on that train. It just wasn't worth it to me. It wasn't like when X-Men came out, and it was special because they weren't doing that kind of thing left and right. I had already seen the twin debacles of X-Men 3 and Spider-Man 3. And by that time, they were on the third Spider-Man continuity. So yeah, just like the comics.

My only deviation was the original Guardians of the Galaxy, and that was because it was this different thing that you didn't have to know shit about twelve other movies to enjoy. I managed to sneak that in before we had our second kid. Now my knowledge of the Marvel movie mostly consists of reading wikipedia articles and watching youtube clips.

You could always just watch them because they're fun action movies. Which I'm pretty sure is what most people do.

edited September 2022
    Quid wrote: »
    You could always just watch them because they're fun action movies. Which I'm pretty sure is what most people do.

Thanks for the tips on how to watch movies. :wink:

You should send Jerry your knowledge, because the comic is in the same vein as what I said.

Edit: And hey, looks like the newspost is up, very much echoing my own take on it (which is fine, it's a take, you don't have to agree).
    Once you go as hard as they are going on the multiverse stuff (anything can happen, will happen, is happening) and Secret Invasion (anyone can be anyone else) we are getting very close to the point where I read what happens on Wikipedia.
    Knowing everything I'm supposed to know so that their shit coheres, just to have the privilege of consuming their other content, is starting to feel very much like a job.

dennis on
    Pyrian wrote: »

Because there's grades of invulnerability in comics, there's always at least one or two things that can still cut you.

edited September 2022
    Pyrian wrote: »

I assume it's emotional healing.

Possibly also sexual.

dennis on
  • ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    Is his greatest flaw that he's a perfectionist?

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Is his greatest flaw that he's a perfectionist?

His greatest flaw is that he doesn't want to be a protagonist.
    He'd prefer to just go through life as another faceless gear in a vast corporate machine.
    But when your name is goddamned Todd frickin Wonderman, and you can fly, teleport be immortal and heal fast... It's like being the one character in the anime with crazy hair. Being the main character finds you.

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I find the quality over quantity argument to always be interesting. Some people make it sound like there's constantly multiple Marvel shows overlapping each other. Most of these shows are like 6 episodes long, some will only have a single season, and they are often spaced out by at least a month or so. I suppose some people truly are too busy to keep up, but it's not THAT demanding to do so. I have a feeling it's often more a case of lack of interest than being too busy (as some people have freely admitted in this very discussion thread). Which is fine. Endgame was a perfectly acceptable jumping off point for the casual MCU fan. However, I offer no guarantees that in a few years you won't be playing catch up once they build up to the next big thing and suddenly the MCU is what people are buzzing about once again. ;)

I can understand where the subject matter of this comic is coming from regarding lesser known characters. I am a bit sad that we've lost some very major A-list characters. This still feels like an unpopular opinion, but we really need to get away from the whole only-this-person-can-play-this-character attitude. We could still have the likes of Captain America, Iron Man, and Black Widow in the MCU if they had recast the parts. Yes, it would take some time to accept a new person in the role. Yes, we would probably end up with people who are kind of acting like that other actor who acted like that character, but that's not always bad. For example, I thoroughly enjoyed it when Josh Brolin pretended to be Tommy Lee Jones pretending to be Agent K in MIB3. lol

I'm sure some would say that an even better solution would have been to simply stop with Endgame. I could not disagree more. The Infinity Gauntlet is just one small story in a vast comic history that spans decades. There is plenty of material for the MCU to go on for a really long time. Unfortunately, if we keep killing or otherwise disposing of characters once their actor/actress decides to move on, we will eventually have an MCU filled with D-listers. And while some D-listers can still be good characters, it's just not the same without the true legendary characters of Marvel Comics in the mix.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
    dennis wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

Thanks for the tips on how to watch movies. :wink:

You should send Jerry your knowledge, because the comic is in the same vein as what I said.

Edit: And hey, looks like the newspost is up, very much echoing my own take on it (which is fine, it's a take, you don't have to agree).
    Once you go as hard as they are going on the multiverse stuff (anything can happen, will happen, is happening) and Secret Invasion (anyone can be anyone else) we are getting very close to the point where I read what happens on Wikipedia.
    Knowing everything I'm supposed to know so that their shit coheres, just to have the privilege of consuming their other content, is starting to feel very much like a job.

And again I say, all those movies that came before can be watched. Quite easily if you don't treat your leisure time and watching movies as an "investment."

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    Unfortunately, if we keep killing or otherwise disposing of characters once their actor/actress decides to move on, we will eventually have an MCU filled with D-listers. And while some D-listers can still be good characters, it's just not the same without the true legendary characters of Marvel Comics in the mix.

To be fair, the MCU began with B and C listers. I'd argue besides Spider-Man and X-Men there weren't a lot of well known characters. I think the first time I saw Iron Man was in a Punisher game on....I want to say PS2? And if Marvel had access to stuff like the Fantastic 4 at the time, I don't think there's any chance we'd have gotten a Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

We've also had some great characters introduced in the comics after the MCU began, like Miles Morales and Kamala Khan, so I'm not sure the end of material to pull from is nigh.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I'm just waiting for them to introduce young Nastyboy, with powers comparable to Wonder Man!

McFodder wrote: »
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    Unfortunately, if we keep killing or otherwise disposing of characters once their actor/actress decides to move on, we will eventually have an MCU filled with D-listers. And while some D-listers can still be good characters, it's just not the same without the true legendary characters of Marvel Comics in the mix.

To be fair, the MCU began with B and C listers. I'd argue besides Spider-Man and X-Men there weren't a lot of well known characters. I think the first time I saw Iron Man was in a Punisher game on....I want to say PS2? And if Marvel had access to stuff like the Fantastic 4 at the time, I don't think there's any chance we'd have gotten a Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

We've also had some great characters introduced in the comics after the MCU began, like Miles Morales and Kamala Khan, so I'm not sure the end of material to pull from is nigh.

Like is said above, it's the quality that matters. Popularity as a character in the comics doesn't equate to a good movie. Danny the Street in Doom Patrol is a way better character than Superman in pretty much anything DCEU.

• Emperor MegamanEmperor Megaman Registered User regular
    I though
    Hevach wrote: »

Wonder Man has ion based powers, a lot of which are very silly and OP. He started out with the super strength/speed/invulnerability triad and some electrical powers, the biggest being that he could power gadgets. So he had a jetpack and later a teleporter like the ones Cable and Deadpool have used, which he ran off his powers.

Later on he was able to fly by direct electromagnetic levitation, and teleport with other words. He became immortal after being killed by the Kree, but immortality is not exactly a weird one in Marvel, one Nick Fury (there are two) is well over 100 years old but the bootleg super serum a lot of SHIELD guys get greatly extends life.

i did'nt knew any of it, i only remembered Wonder Man from that issue of Deadpool (Joe Kelly) i read long ago, and my impression was that he was just a standard "super strength" type.

edited September 2022
    I though
    Hevach wrote: »

i did'nt knew any of it, i only remembered Wonder Man from that issue of Deadpool (Joe Kelly) i read long ago, and my impression was that he was just a standard "super strength" type.

I mean... He is, but these are comic books and nothing goes without explanation, even if that explanation is needlessly complex and full of tortured logic holes. The MCU has just started doing, "Hey here's a lady with super powers, she's a Tik Tok star, get over it." But the comics still insist on spending six months establishing their origins and the exact nature of their powers before they're never seen again until Bendis needs to fill up a background.

Hevach on