As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Side effects are rare, but of course if your kid is one of the rare cases that fact doesn't help you at all. Might be coincidence,might be not.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    So 4yo got pretty sick after her first covid shot. We're talking spots on her skin, 40C fever, and several days of diarrhea so intense she had blood in her stool by the end. Funnily enough, when she got covid back in February her only symptom was being a bit more tired.

We're not excited about giving her her second shot next month.

How are you people faring with covid shots?

It sounds like she either had an allergy or just got some childhood bug as a coincidence. Don’t give her another COVID vaccine without consulting a doctor.

Yeah, nothing of what is described there sounds like vaccine side effects, even severe ones, unless the vaccine triggered a weird allergy. The diarrhea espescially is weird. Talk to your Dr first.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    So 4yo got pretty sick after her first covid shot. We're talking spots on her skin, 40C fever, and several days of diarrhea so intense she had blood in her stool by the end. Funnily enough, when she got covid back in February her only symptom was being a bit more tired.

My kids had no reaction to either vaccine shot. They also had almost no reaction to COVID when they had it. In your shoes, I would probably skip the 2nd shot unless it's needed for something, like school or travel. Agree with consulting your Dr first at the very least.

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited September 2022

Got three shots Moderna and the actual infection which was like a milder cold.

Took a fourth shot last week (Pfizer this time) and spent the whole night sleepless with headaches and shivering.

It all seems very random.

Oh, edit. I don't think we've started vaccinating small children in Europe yet (<11 yo). My 3 yo only got ligth sniffles anyway which I though was sort of standard in kids.

Movitz on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    We did have a doctor visit. It was pretty inconclusive. He suspected vaccine side-effects overlapping with a random virus, but didn't feel tests were necessary as she was clearly recovering on her own (this was after the 40C fever but before blood in the stools, when she was doing much better) so tests results would be too late to help and were not needed for treatment options.

sig.gif
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Young kids get sick so often anyway, there's a high likelihood that if you grab a sample of 100, a good portion of them will have an unrelated illness coinciding with any specific date. You could probably pick 12 dates on the calendar for the next year and say "they will be sick on these dates" and have a decent amount of the predictions turn out right.

It's kind of like the logic the quacks use to claim vaccines cause autism. Because their kid got really sick after a vaccine, and then over the course of the next year they noticed they were autistic. Even though that's just going to happen with every kid (including those who were already going to be autistic) getting vaccinated and every kid getting childhood illnesses.

Which is not to mock your concern. I totally get it. Being worried as a parent isn't something you can solve with math and statistics.

dennis on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    We did have a doctor visit. It was pretty inconclusive. He suspected vaccine side-effects overlapping with a random virus, but didn't feel tests were necessary as she was clearly recovering on her own (this was after the 40C fever but before blood in the stools, when she was doing much better) so tests results would be too late to help and were not needed for treatment options.
    My baby got blood in the stool after a childhood vaccine once. Scary but ultimately there was no problem.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    So my kid is doing the ‘I hate you’ when told to stop doing something, or to do something she doesn’t want to do. Always over banal things like turning off the tv or brushing her teeth, and most of the time she follows instructions cheerfully.

Not sure how to react to it. I would like her to stop saying things like that, but at the same time I know she’s using it as the nuclear option to get a reaction out of me.

For the time being, I haven’t made a big deal out of it, except to ask her why she hates me, but she can’t convey her feelings, and within a few minutes she’s back to her happy self.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Get a second opinion if you can.

A rash could be a lot of things but bloody stool and a 40℃ (104℉) fever are very serious symptoms and it's pretty unlikely they came from the vaccine. A doctor going "Uh, *shrug*, probably the vaccine with a rando virus?" comes across as very doctor-who-wants-parents-to-go-away.

I mean probably not but again those are actually serious symptoms that should be taken seriously.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    So my kid is doing the ‘I hate you’ when told to stop doing something, or to do something she doesn’t want to do. Always over banal things like turning off the tv or brushing her teeth, and most of the time she follows instructions cheerfully.

Not sure how to react to it. I would like her to stop saying things like that, but at the same time I know she’s using it as the nuclear option to get a reaction out of me.

For the time being, I haven’t made a big deal out of it, except to ask her why she hates me, but she can’t convey her feelings, and within a few minutes she’s back to her happy self.

My daughter back when she was 3yo went through a phase of "I don't like daddy / grandparents / educator / etc." At first we just asked her not to say things like that, then we sat her down and explained how hurtful that was to other people. Then we escalated to time-outs in the corner. Eventually it got through to her and she stopped.

sig.gif
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

My daughter back when she was 3yo went through a phase of "I don't like daddy / grandparents / educator / etc." At first we just asked her not to say things like that, then we sat her down and explained how hurtful that was to other people. Then we escalated to time-outs in the corner. Eventually it got through to her and she stopped.

Me breaking into tears Almost every time Ellie did this was eventually effective.

Also, "I hate you"
    'ok well I love you"
    "I hate you"
    'You can hate me in this moment, but I love you and when you are done being upset we can talk about it"
    "I hate you!"
    "Ok."

Each got different reactions depending on the catalyst.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Hello Hand Foot and Mouth club.

Is it possible to get it twice in a month?!

My son got over it about a week and a half ago...and today I noticed raised bumps on his legs. I figured bug bites or irritation or something.

Now after nap time I see 2 on his hand and 3 around his mouth.

Are you fuckin kidding me.

It absolutely is.
    Well, I think we've had maybe six weeks as a gap, but the boy has it again right now.
    It's killing me.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2022
    From your experiences how much would it suck to live on the third floor without elevator when you get a baby? Carry the cot up and down etc - stroller frame will be storable in the main entrance though.

It’s very difficult to find a place that ticks all boxes. We are notoriously noise sensitive (when it’s coming from neighbors) and would very much like to not have anyone above us.

Edit: cot is the wrong word. I am talking about the bed/seat/thing that the baby sits in for the stroller.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »
    From your experiences how much would it suck to live on the third floor without elevator when you get a baby? Carry the cot up and down etc - stroller frame will be storable in the main entrance though.

It’s very difficult to find a place that ticks all boxes. We are notoriously noise sensitive (when it’s coming from neighbors) and would very much like to not have anyone above us.

Edit: cot is the wrong word. I am talking about the bed/seat/thing that the baby sits in for the stroller.

Depends how steep the stairs are. But honestly, we had some stairs in the place we were in when the boy was born, two flights inside, and that got exhausting by about 18 months. Never mind outside the apartment! And believe me when I tell you that before 2, they *will* want to climb down the stairs by themselves, and they *will* take forever and you *will* be in a hurry.

It’s not a dealbreaker, but my knees and back hurt just thinking about it.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Upside:
    they'll learn how to climb stairs. It's fun for them.

Downside:
    Like croaker says, it can take forever to get them out of the staircase because climbing stairs is fun.

Hauling a kid plus groceries up the stairs is a chore.

Depending on age/weight it is a chore hauling the kid up the stairs even without groceries.

We did that for the first 2 years. Three flights. My wife would often leave the non perishable groceries with the stroller downstairs for me to collect them on days when I came home later.

How wide is the staircase? Gotta get through there carrying the stroller part. Also probably not only the cot style one for the first 6 months but also the seat version later on.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Third floor is about my limit when it comes to regularly going up and down stairs with a kid. My MIL lives on a 4th-floor- walk-up, and it's killer getting them up that last set of stairs to visit. And my youngest has developed a fear of heights, which doesn't stop him from going up and down stairs, but makes him grip the hand-hold tightly and walk very slowly. Carrying anything will be hard, and it's good you can keep most of the stroller downstairs.
    Beyond the kid, think about groceries, laundry (if you don't have a washer/dryer in-unit), and just all the stuff that comes with a kid, and how "fun" it will be to go up and down with all of the extra stuff.

It's doable, and plenty of people manage. I personally wouldn't. But third floor isn't so bad.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    The stairs are at least wide and half-story so you can at least stop and rest going up if you need it. But yeah.

This is a tough one I think, since we have no experience with it yet. I can see how it would be a very straining thing to have to do each day. Especially kid + groceries is a tough equation for me regarding it.

What sucks is the housing areas here were almost all built in totality one at a time. The 1930's areas have small 1-2 person elevators as was the standard. The 1950's areas do not at all have elevators. Then 60's-70's start having elevators, and fairly big ones. But mostly the 1950's areas are affordable enough for us the way the market looks so for instance we looked at 5 places yesterday and none have had an elevator. :-[ Granted not all of them were so many stairs up though. But I know my partner and she'll send me to complain to the neighbor above every week if there is a neighbor above.

• Options
    Thank you for the feedback. There's so much to consider suddenly. :D

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Honk wrote: »
    Thank you for the feedback. There's so much to consider suddenly. :D

Also may not apply, but going up and down three flights of stairs in a hurry, like to the hospital if you have not yet had a baby, is going to suck. And being on the third floor without an elevator is going to be a nightmare if you’re pregnant - say hello to never going out.

ETA: our not-quite-two year old managed to open the front door and get to the elevator and call it up the other day, and that was scary enough! If he had the opportunity to fall down a bunch of stairs, that would have actually been worse. On the other hand he would’ve been easier to catch up with…

ETA ETA: inspired by having to take a bag filled with my child’s dirty diapers and shove it down the building garbage chute: if that building does not have a garbage chute, you will be spending a lot of time walking up and down all those stairs holding bags filled with your child’s poop. A lot of time.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Welp. Sitting in the ER waiting to be seen because our 5 month old woke up very congested with a super loud cough. Doesn't sound like "barking" exactly, he's not arping like a seal, but it's a very loud cough for a little baby.

There's a ton of people waiting in the ER tonight and I'm just a pile of nerves that I'm exposing my baby to covid having him here.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    That sucks AZ! I don't have much beyond platitudes to offer, but maybe it'll help knowing someone read it. As my older brother says (pediatric infectious disease MD), the answer is usually wait two days and they'll be fine. I think it's statistically likely you'll all come out fine. Keep breathing!

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Triage nurse says it's croup and he needs steroids to treat it... but need to see a doctor to get the steroids... and there's a 5 hour wait in the ER right now to see a doctor, so we are heading home and going to try to get him in to urgent care first thing when they open in the morning. Fingers crossed he doesn't get much worse in the meantime. I hope they can get to him quickly at the urgent care in the AM.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hot steamy bathroom

turn on the shower, steam up the room, and hang out in there with the baby.

Won't fix the croup, but can relieve the symptoms

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Triage nurse says it's croup and he needs steroids to treat it... but need to see a doctor to get the steroids... and there's a 5 hour wait in the ER right now to see a doctor, so we are heading home and going to try to get him in to urgent care first thing when they open in the morning. Fingers crossed he doesn't get much worse in the meantime. I hope they can get to him quickly at the urgent care in the AM.

My older son had croup a few months ago. He responded quickly and got better soon once he got his meds, before that, baths and keeping calm and relaxed helped

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Hot steamy bathroom

Oddly enough, cold, moist air helps more for croup symptoms. But it's pretty hard to produce that on one's own. Probably not very cold where the kiddo is right now in September, but I kid you not that one recommendation is to hang out in front of the open freezer door and let them breathe that air. Bundle them up if you need to, of course.

dennis on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    While walking by my local playground yesterday I discovered that it has both pokeweed and nightshade berries growing right up against the fence.

#thisisfine

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    While walking by my local playground yesterday I discovered that it has both pokeweed and nightshade berries growing right up against the fence.

#thisisfine

We have nightshade growing in our side-yard. This is how I know there is Deadly Nightshade, and Probably Fine Nightshade, aka bittersweet nightshade. Solanum dulcamara is not as poisonous as Atropa belladonna, but even the poison it has is not much of a worry considering it tasted incredibly bitter. Enough so that humans and other animals aren't really going to eat enough to hurt themselves.

This very well is likely to not be what you ran across, since they do look quite a bit different. But when I did first identify, I was quite alarmed to find it was "nightshade" until I read that other bit.

• Options
    My 5 yr old just had his 1st day of afterschool at a local Y and from what he's said I'm not very impressed. They have 2 activities per day, and you can sign up from a few offerings. He has a dodgeball type game for his first activity, but he came home saying people just kept telling him he was out and he doesn't know why and was frustrated. And they kept calling him "dude" even after he asked them to use his name. He also said the adults told them the kids need to know what activities they have every day, which I get but seems a bit harsh for a 5 yr old (especially on the 1st day).

I've got mixed feelings. It doesn't seem super well run from what he's said, nor from any of my interactions with them. On the other hand, I think he's been babied a bit and would benefit from activities with other kids from varying backgrounds, which sounds a bit like what's going on. I've watched him do kids soccer at other places and he can be oblivious to some of the little games they play... so it may have partially been that too. Overall, he's excited to go back, which is I think is the most important thing. Hopefully he keeps having fun and looking forward to it.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    My 5 yr old just had his 1st day of afterschool at a local Y and from what he's said I'm not very impressed. They have 2 activities per day, and you can sign up from a few offerings. He has a dodgeball type game for his first activity, but he came home saying people just kept telling him he was out and he doesn't know why and was frustrated. And they kept calling him "dude" even after he asked them to use his name. He also said the adults told them the kids need to know what activities they have every day, which I get but seems a bit harsh for a 5 yr old (especially on the 1st day).

I've got mixed feelings. It doesn't seem super well run from what he's said, nor from any of my interactions with them. On the other hand, I think he's been babied a bit and would benefit from activities with other kids from varying backgrounds, which sounds a bit like what's going on. I've watched him do kids soccer at other places and he can be oblivious to some of the little games they play... so it may have partially been that too. Overall, he's excited to go back, which is I think is the most important thing. Hopefully he keeps having fun and looking forward to it.

My thoughts would probably be pretty close to yours. "They aren't running it well enough (especially for young children), but he'll benefit from interacting with different kids, and the most important thing is that he's enjoying it." Wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out at other places to see if you can get something that hits the good parts and is a bit more organized.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    dennis wrote: »
    Hot steamy bathroom

Oddly enough, cold, moist air helps more for croup symptoms. But it's pretty hard to produce that on one's own. Probably not very cold where the kiddo is right now in September, but I kid you not that one recommendation is to hang out in front of the open freezer door and let them breathe that air. Bundle them up if you need to, of course.

Do not, and I repeat, do not put the baby in the freezer. (Is joke)

I didn't even think of that suggestion because it's still cold down here.

But you can get a cool mist humidifier thing that can help.

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    Cauld wrote: »

My thoughts would probably be pretty close to yours. "They aren't running it well enough (especially for young children), but he'll benefit from interacting with different kids, and the most important thing is that he's enjoying it." Wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out at other places to see if you can get something that hits the good parts and is a bit more organized.

Day 2 and one of his classes was board games. They played a spelling game and he doesn't know how to spell (just started kindergarten) so he had to just sit and watch? He said there was another kid who also didn't know how to spell. Pretty annoyed they didn't just offer a backup game for kids his age. Keep in mind, this option was listed as "K-2", so I would expect age appropriate games to be offered. Again he was a bit frustrated, but enjoyed his time there overall. I could see him enjoying watching other people play a bit.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Welp. Sitting in the ER waiting to be seen because our 5 month old woke up very congested with a super loud cough. Doesn't sound like "barking" exactly, he's not arping like a seal, but it's a very loud cough for a little baby.

There's a ton of people waiting in the ER tonight and I'm just a pile of nerves that I'm exposing my baby to covid having him here.

Yep these were the steps when I first heard croup. I swear they need to show footage of what croup is and what it sounds like to all newborn parents because it's absolutely terrifying at first!

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Yep these were the steps when I first heard croup. I swear they need to show footage of what croup is and what it sounds like to all newborn parents because it's absolutely terrifying at first!

It's why when I hear parents who say "I think it might be croup. It's a bad cough.", I say "you'll know if it's croup because it won't sound like anything you've heard before and you'll freak out."

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

It's why when I hear parents who say "I think it might be croup. It's a bad cough.", I say "you'll know if it's croup because it won't sound like anything you've heard before and you'll freak out."

It's basically "Does it sound like a baby trying and clear it's throat? And does it last way too long? Ok, then it's croup."

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

It's basically "Does it sound like a baby trying and clear it's throat? And does it last way too long? Ok, then it's croup."

However if it sounds like gunfire and lots of yelling about freedom and revolution, it's a coup.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    There is a pertussis vaccine. The commercials about it have a baby making a noise that triggers my parental "CHILD EMERGENCY, SICK CHILD REALLY BAD DANGER DANGER GET UP DO SOMETHING" alarm like fucking whoa.

Deffo look into that if you have tiny ones. It's no bueno to get them through some of the things that fall into "croup" as a casual term.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    There is a pertussis vaccine. The commercials about it have a baby making a noise that triggers my parental "CHILD EMERGENCY, SICK CHILD REALLY BAD DANGER DANGER GET UP DO SOMETHING" alarm like fucking whoa.

Deffo look into that if you have tiny ones. It's no bueno to get them through some of the things that fall into "croup" as a casual term.

The pertussis vaccine is pretty standard now for kids.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Often given as a combined DPT ("dip-tet") vaccine - diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus.

It still throws me off that the chicken pox vaccine didn't come out until I was 20.

Edit: Correction. I forgot they do DTaP or Tdap now, which are the same thing as DPT, but different.

dennis on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Our nursery has teched up and is part of an app where we can see photos of her doing new things and chart new behaviours! Also lets us chart changes in development and tastes by letting us know how long she sleeps and when and what foods she ate whilst at Nursery. Sounds great.

Currently mostly poop notifications.

Also terrifyingly, Google photos can identify her at two years old and two days old, amongst other babies of similar ages and from a half profile angle.

Tastyfish on
  • Options

Often given as a combined DPT ("dip-tet") vaccine - diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus.

It still throws me off that the chicken pox vaccine didn't come out until I was 20.

Edit: Correction. I forgot they do DTaP or Tdap now, which are the same thing as DPT, but different.

I genuinely had no idea there even was a chickenpox vaccine now until we took the boy in and they put it in his hip. Science is neat!