As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Bring Fi back and make her crazy. Bring Midna back and make her a tiny old lady.

That’s it, that’s the post.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Make?”
    But…

Also introduce Midna’s shy granddaughter Evey who is somehow moe enough to make everyone forget Paya.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • ChallChall Registered User regular
    Bring Fi back and make her crazy. Bring Midna back and make her a tiny old lady.

Actually yes, bring back all the sidekicks, get Tatl back in here too. The game is now partially a dating sim where you have to balance spending time with each of the sidekicks but not enough to make the others mad.

Chall wrote: »

Actually yes, bring back all the sidekicks, get Tatl back in here too. The game is now partially a dating sim where you have to balance spending time with each of the sidekicks but not enough to make the others mad.

You’re also competing for their attention with Linkle, so it’s a very fine balancing act.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited September 2022

What's this "partially" business? Ocarina of Time and the movie Hook have shown that human-size fairies are hot AF. Clearly true-form Midna can get it. Fi just needs to hire the same fairy that helped Pinocchio. But I feel like in the end, everyone is gonna pick Groose.

Dirty on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    What sort of old save unlocks or carryovers do you all think should/will be in TOTK?

Part of me wants a full import of inventory and upgrades, but that would wreck the balance. Maybe some armor pieces carrying over without upgrades would be workable.

Realistically, the only thing I'm confident of is that a BOTW save will start you off with some extra starting rupees and materials. Maybe a clear save will get you the Wild set or something.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Hopefully they'll make sure to lock some neat things behind fucking Amiibo unlocks, it would be awesome if they fucked over people with that for a second game.

• Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Fuck it, bring back Navi, Midna and Fi, bring them through a warp that fuses them into NaMiFi and have that creature replace the traditional hat.

Then every five seconds: "Hey! Hey Wissen! There's a 95% chance of condescending remarks!"

That will make everyone happy.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Currently attempting a playthrough of BotW where I don't get any permanent heart containers and instead rely entirely on food that grants temp hearts. For sadism!

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    Fuck it, bring back Navi, Midna and Fi, bring them through a warp that fuses them into NaMiFi and have that creature replace the traditional hat.

Then every five seconds: "Hey! Hey Wissen! There's a 95% chance of condescending remarks!"

That will make everyone happy.

So remake Minish Cap? I'm down with that.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Make?”
    But…

Also introduce Midna’s shy granddaughter Evey who is somehow moe enough to make everyone forget Paya.

I know what you’re thinking, but not as an imp. Take sexy tall ending Midna and just whack a good 80 years on her. Give her the features of a Korean grandma.

w6rywtwa2slf.jpeg
    +
    bmz5qxrah8yz.jpeg

edited September 2022
    Suddenly I want Midna as a bonus/dlc playable character in bayo3. I have no idea why since I’ve never played the other two.

Mr_Rose on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Suddenly I want Midna as a bonus/dlc playable character in bayo3. I have no idea why since I’ve never played the other two.

True Midna's outfit would suit Bayo, I think.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I like weapon durability. It was very satisfying to shatter a sword across the face of a bokoblin. I like the scavenger vibe I got. I would spend hours running around the eastern and northern edge of the map just to gather weapons. I loved cleaning out Hyrule Castle after a blood moon. I felt like a badass with a backpack full of high tier weapons. I would spend time going to all the high level combat shrines to get a backpack of guardian gear.

None of this means weapon durability is a good thing. It’s not. It’s a deliberate, carefully considered mechanic, intentionally added and likely iterated upon for specific reasons. Doesn’t make it objectively good though. It’s just a thing. The only justification I have for liking it is that I like it.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

HEY, LISTEN! Let's go bowling! See some BEEG HYLIAN TITTIES!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular

HEY, LISTEN! Let's go bowling! See some BEEG HYLIAN TITTIES!

Return of Telma?

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Grand Telma uh... Ampleness?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Holy shit y’all! Did you know you can pick up and throw baby talus rock monsters? My second play through and I just figured that out entirely on accident.

Also having the high jump ability after going to the bird divine beast first really changes the game. It was my last stop in my first play through. A game changer the second time around when gotten early.

"I see everything twice!"

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I too did the bird divine beast last (it did seem the game gently guides you to do things that order) and was supremely annoyed to get the most useful power in the game last.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    In subsequent replays I absolutely have rushed Bird Dungeon. And once you get the improved version from the DLC it recharges so fast you can do it almost constantly. Actually, that was one thing that bugged me: I wish the recharge for those abilities had been per use rather than requiring you to deplete them entirely before you could recharge them at all. Make them like the carrots/spurs for the various zelda horse mechanics. The way it worked made me want to burn through all my Camel Lightning as soon as I used the first one.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Tears of the Kingdom Link statue seen at Nintendo Live 2022
    qdhsaqvmead7.jpg
    igdi8gut2x2x.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Ok that arm looks even more like some kind of Twili tech/magic. C’mon Midna’s Return/vengeance!

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I too did the bird divine beast last (it did seem the game gently guides you to do things that order) and was supremely annoyed to get the most useful power in the game last.

Elephant power is the least useful, but I'd say it's best to get first on a first time playthrough because if you get it later on you never use it, due to having three times the number of hearts and several other ways to recover from getting murdered.

Once you know what you're doing, bird and camel are the ones you use all the time.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Starved for more gameplay/info, but that statue looks rad.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Our local Menards (yes, Menards) has a piano player during their busy hours, and one guy that plays there is always sneaking in Song of Storms.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Save big rupees

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »

Really cool, but a little sad he didn't credit Koji Kondo as the composer instead of just saying it is from a game.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

"I'll take Things I don't need in my life for $200."

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    New TotK trailer:

https://youtu.be/fYZuiFDQwQw

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    That music at 1:48 sounds a lot like Twilight Princess stuff, no?

e: Zelda is asking mothereffin' Midna for her power, calling it now.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    From what I saw it looked like there were four things Link used in that made out of found parts.

69hn1r1102sf.jpg
    tbga22n6hwv1.jpg
    36jyb1l17jvo.jpg
    028fk4e50d5r.jpg

NNID: Rehab0
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I know it's not a recent trend but I have been playing older games I got from Steam sales (Metal Gear Solid 5, Devil May Cry 5), and I'm just amused Link now has that missing/gnarly arm protagonist trope.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    *sigh* I already missed the Collector's Edition going up at Best Buy :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    This really looks like Nintendo took the foundation of BotW and went absolutely ham with ideas.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    This really looks like Nintendo took the foundation of BotW and went absolutely ham with ideas.

I mean, Eiji Aonuma has straight-up said the genesis for this game is that they had too many ideas left over from developing BotW the first time.

And then instead of just shoving them all in and calling it a day, they spent six years developing lord knows what.

This game is going to be nuts.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    It looks like all the things that players have tried to get BotW to do, like making floating rafts with oktorok balloons and wild tricks with bombs, the developers weren't surprised, they were like "yeah, we know"

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The idea was scratching at the back of my mind, so I went and looked it up, and though the Youtube video I found on the subject had an obnoxiously clickbaity title ("Breath of the Wild's HIDDEN XP system EXPLAINED!! Learn how to get THE BEST WEAPONS!!" or similar), it did turn out to be as I remembered it: Breath of the Wild has an experience system.

To spare you eleven minutes of breathless youtuber delivery, here's the important points:

- Red and blue-tier enemies don't count.
    - Up to ten instances of every other individual kind of monster contribute to your overall XP count.
    - You don't have to be the cause of death; any enemy that's spawned in and dies within range of you counts.
    - Individual weapon and enemy spawn points are marked as either scaling or not. (So, some formations of Bokoblins will have a leader who scales and a bunch of henchmen who are always red. Some weapons always spawn at their initial level, while others float according to your XP.)
    - Each weapon type has its own breakpoints for when it will progress through the following series: Tier 1 -> Tier 1 with weak random upgrades -> Tier 1 with stronger random upgrades -> Tier 2 -> &c
    - The Blights count for more than anything individually.
    - The coliseum area and the weapons therein actually scale only based on how many Blights you've defeated, so it will generally lag behind the curve and isn't a great place to farm weapons.
    - There is only one non-scaling Lynel in the world, and it's Tier 1, so it's actually possible for Tier 2 Lynels and their weapons to disappear from the world completely after you get enough XP.

So if you feel like the only thing you ever find is weak weapons that break instantly, the solution is to take those weapons, find ten of the biggest things you can kill with them, and kill them. Then the world will populate with higher-tier weapons that could even have higher attack and durability bonuses. Which you can use to kill ten of something even bigger.

Kind of late to learn all that in my case, but it's likely that Tears of the Kingdom will have a similar mechanism.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
This discussion has been closed.