As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You Know Ellie, We Really Are [The Last of Us Part I + II]

1131415161719»

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I love the first Last of Us, but asking $70 for that is a godamn joke

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    It doesn't look like enough of an upgrade over the PS4 version for me to bother, to be honest.

I dunno. I play it about once a year and my last playthrough was last week.

That looks pretty good to me. Plus they're bringing over the hundreds of accessibility options from 2.

I'm a sucker for physical media so I'm sure I'll pay the unnecessarily expensive price.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    new video going a bit more in-depth:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRKIWQUucj0

Zavian on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I don't understand why this exists. The PS4 remaster was already perfection and extremely good.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't understand why this exists. The PS4 remaster was already perfection and extremely good.

open it up to a larger audience by making it more accessible to casual players ahead of the HBO Last of Us TV show is probably why

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yeah, I almost see it as a PS5 port of a new PC version to open it up to that market with the series and multiplayer title both on the way.

The gameplay in 2 was a good step up from 1, so if some of that has been brought in (I'm at work and haven't watched the vid yet) I'll probably pick it up at some point.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    Yeah, I almost see it as a PS5 port of a new PC version to open it up to that market with the series and multiplayer title both on the way.

The gameplay in 2 was a good step up from 1, so if some of that has been brought in (I'm at work and haven't watched the vid yet) I'll probably pick it up at some point.

It doesn't look like they made gameplay changes per se (e.g. no ability to go prone), but did bring over improved AI and added some modes (permadeath, speedrun mode).

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    This is the first time Naughty Dog Is developing natively for the PS5, right? The Uncharted Collection for PS5 is just a resolution bump? The Part I Remake will be a good test bed for their future projects: get a familiar product optimized and running well and it may reduce the amount of time spent getting the next project off the ground. I am curious what that will be. They’ve said they’re done with Uncharted, I think. I wonder if they’d go right into Part III or do something new first. Going straight into Part III might cause some burnout at the studio.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm under the impression it'll be about the level of TLoU2 with PS5 boost on. Is the remake even handled by ND?

• Options
    edited July 2022
    I'm under the impression it'll be about the level of TLoU2 with PS5 boost on. Is the remake even handled by ND?

yes. the game director is the same guy that was the lead systems designer on Last of Us 2, and was a game designer on the original The Last of Us and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Zavian on
  • Options
    McFodder wrote: »

It doesn't look like they made gameplay changes per se (e.g. no ability to go prone), but did bring over improved AI and added some modes (permadeath, speedrun mode).

also somehow incredibly, over 60+ accessibility options which is even more than TLOU2. TLOU2 had one of the largest completion percentages for a sony game ever because of them, so really glad they're coming to the original, because fuck going back to playing that hard as fuck outdated game and actually beating it. It's going to let way more gamers actually play through and beat TLOU1

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/09/04/the-last-of-us-part-2-has-the-highest-completion-rate-of-any-major-ps4-game/

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The gameplay in Part 2 was such a big improvement that I'm not sure I could go back to the first one.

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    I recently tried to replay the remaster on the PS5 before playing Part 2. The remaster both looked awful on a 4K TV, and the gameplay was cumbersome to the point of being unenjoyable. I gave up after the intro and jumped straight to Part 2, which looked and played amazingly.

I’m personally mystified by the nostalgia for the remaster, and do not identify at all with the opinion that it looks and plays fine on modern hardware.

Just my opinion though!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    adytum wrote: »
    I recently tried to replay the remaster on the PS5 before playing Part 2. The remaster both looked awful on a 4K TV, and the gameplay was cumbersome to the point of being unenjoyable. I gave up after the intro and jumped straight to Part 2, which looked and played amazingly.

I’m personally mystified by the nostalgia for the remaster, and do not identify at all with the opinion that it looks and plays fine on modern hardware.

Just my opinion though!

Describing Last of Us Ps4 as having "awful" graphics suggests you have a laughably high standard, one alien to most people. Like... how many games actually look good to you, with that ludicrous bar to clear?

• Options

Just my opinion though!

Describing Last of Us Ps4 as having "awful" graphics suggests you have a laughably high standard, one alien to most people. Like... how many games actually look good to you, with that ludicrous bar to clear?

Why so aggressive, when I clearly presented it as an opinion?

Most modern games look good, some great? The remaster definitely shows its age on modern hardware. The remaster to Part II was night and day.

• Options
    I also didn’t say it has awful graphics, I said it looks awful on modern hardware. The models and textures don’t hold up IMO.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I played TLOU remaster on PS4 Pro on a big ass 4K OLED from like 3 inches away and it looked amazing. It looks better than games coming out now.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I also didn’t say it has awful graphics, I said it looks awful on modern hardware. The models and textures don’t hold up IMO.

Nah, that's just completely wrong there. Like completely. The Last of Us remaster looks better than some current generation games. It's one of the reasons I find the idea of doing another remaster for it on PS5 so baffling. It's not that far behind for what it actually is.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yeah, my best mate (who I played the game with originally when we'd planned a weekend away and the weather forecast went to crap, so he packed his PS3 and hired a couple of games including some zombie game he'd been hearing good things about) replayed the remaster late last year and still enjoyed it. Definitely some nostalgia there, but I'd still absolutely recommend the PS4 version to anyone.

The little touches like when characters reach out and put their hand on a wall they are crouching close to and stuff like that make the world feel so much more real, and so far from what I've seen have only been beaten by the sequel (and probably Uncharted 4, judging by the improvements in animations I saw when I went through Uncharted 3 a little bit ago).

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Audio Accessibility trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm9ImcJN-2I

• Options
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Dang that looks amazing.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    I can't go back to one because of how atrocious part 2 was it's really soured me on the series because even though I love 1, knowing where the story ends up just kind of ruins it.

God the second game was so terrible. Just stupid hamfisted nonsense.

Viskod on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I can't go back to one because of how atrocious part 2 was it's really soured me on the series because even though I love 1, knowing where the story ends up just kind of ruins it.

God the second game was so terrible. Just stupid hamfisted nonsense.

The second game took everything the first game did and did it even better. 5/5 one of the greatest games I've ever played.

• Options
    Yeah I think the second game was incredible. Very few games can get under my skin as effectively as it did.

• Options
    yea I loved Part II, thought it was great. the gameplay and accessibility options in particular made playing through it much more fun than PS3/PS4 Part I which had some really tough sections that were way more frustrating and annoying than fun. Part II I didn't have any of those issues. I personally liked Abby, I thought the actress did a great job and it's unfortunate she got death threats from misogynists who never even played the game