As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Deadpool] Clawing his way back to relevancy

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Just pay the prop department to make a few extras so the actors can walk off with them.

MCU movies print money. You might be out a couple grand for a Stormbreaker, but Thor 4 will more than make up for it.
    I don't work in movies but I have to assume they do this. Cause how do you not expect the person playing Cap to not want a shield, or the person playing Thor to not want a hammer, or etc.

Hell most of those 'I stole stuff' stories involve said star asking 'the prop guy' for it and getting it.

Mostly corporate greed sort of thing involved, I would imagine. If actors take props, they can't auction the props later for stupid amounts of money. Alternatively, if actors take props, executives that had fucking nothing to do with making the movies can't take props to put them in their office or home and say "yeah, I made that happen!"

So the studios have a standing policy of "don't do it or penalties" to try and scare off people, but they do fuck-all about it if something disappears.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Kind of makes me wonder what they do with the props that don't get stolen.
    Does it all just get tossed in a box in storage in case they might get used in some future production (think Starship Troopers armor, or Robbie the Robot)? Holding onto everything would require a crap-ton of space, as well as the time organizing and tracking stuff so it can be found in 3 years when someone wants generic space armor but doesn't have the budget to make it themselves.

Prop houses are a thing for exactly this reason. You can see a few different props being reused through many different projects and that is mostly the reason. Anything that can't be reused is either stored or auctioned depending on factors I am not overly familiar with how it is decided. A lot of Star Trek sets end up being stored for a really long time as memory serves. The sharks they used for Jaws were literally thrown in a dumpster almost immediately as the other extreme.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Does it all just get tossed in a box in storage in case they might get used in some future production (think Starship Troopers armor, or Robbie the Robot)? Holding onto everything would require a crap-ton of space, as well as the time organizing and tracking stuff so it can be found in 3 years when someone wants generic space armor but doesn't have the budget to make it themselves.

Prop houses are a thing for exactly this reason. You can see a few different props being reused through many different projects and that is mostly the reason. Anything that can't be reused is either stored or auctioned depending on factors I am not overly familiar with how it is decided. A lot of Star Trek sets end up being stored for a really long time as memory serves. The sharks they used for Jaws were literally thrown in a dumpster almost immediately as the other extreme.

One of my old roommates was a costumer and there's a shocking amount of stuff from way, way back in the day that gets reused

Like they rented costumes from fuckin' Ben Hur for something they did either last year or 2019

It's actually a bigger deal for extras as I understand it because they'll have a *lot* of those that can then be reused

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The other end of it is that you never know when you're going to be able to reuse old props; Like starwars was infamous for taking really old and out there guns and then making them into some sci fi shit:

The most obvious of these was han solo's blaster which was a mix of a mauser C96 and a few other bits, but theres also the tusken raider's rifle (which is basically a jezzail), the mandalorian's Bergmann No1/1894, or how the e-11 that everyone used was basically a sterling SMG.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    I doubt it was intended this way, but I liked to think that the re-use of the starship troopers kit for the military guys during Firefly's train job was a meta comment on the bad guys. I was kind of hoping they'd sneak in a "would you like to know more?" moment.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    I doubt it was intended this way, but I liked to think that the re-use of the starship troopers kit for the military guys during Firefly's train job was a meta comment on the bad guys. I was kind of hoping they'd sneak in a "would you like to know more?" moment.

How about when the armor also showed up in a Power Rangers series?

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Sure? I haven't watched any power rangers since I was quite young (and many years before SST), so I can't speak to it.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    You gotta imagine those suits get very hot and sweaty, and while some people would pay a premium for concentrated celebrity sweat, it probably makes the suits harder to reuse? Maybe idk. My mind says they might reuse the suits for stunt doubles but they probably have to have a different suit made for them specifically anyways

I found one of the stuntmen who played Spider-Man in civil war and I don't think he got to keep the suit anyways

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

IIRC, there was an online auction for props from Pacific Rim.

These auctions happen all the time, problem is theres really no authentication associated with the item, so they are never worth anything, even what you paid for them. "Heres a whip from indiana jones" just means that is one of 32 whips for production that might have never ever been touched or even on site, or a stunt actor practiced with it.

Also yes the stuff just goes into storage to get reused. Face/Off with their super jail used "magnetic boots" that are very clearly the boots from the super mario bros movie.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    One of the saddest examples of a prop that was just left to rot was the surviving "hero" DeLorean time machine from the Back to the Future trilogy. Thankfully that was eventually saved and painstakingly restored, and given a permanent home on display (there's a documentary on the last couple of Blu-ray box set editions' bonus disc). But vehicles in particular, given their size and general upkeep requirements, often get the short end of the stick, even absolutely iconic ones.

Jazz on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Hevach wrote: »
    A bunch of MCU costumes and props have gone missing from almost every movie, and the stars haven't been shy about telling late night hosts how much of it went missing in the trunk of their car. It doesn't seem to be a situation like Paramount hiring PIs to hunt down missing Star Trek uniforms.
    I do love a good 'what did you steal from the movie' bit.

I think my favorite was Marina Sirtis. At some con with other TNG actors there were reminiscing about what they stole from one of the Star Trek movies and when it came to her she was like "oh, I stole everything I could. Uniform, phaser, tricorder. I was gonna try and steal Patrick's chair but I saw him circling it like a vulture so I moved on."

My favorite TNG story is Brent Spiner. He asked permission to keep his uniform, and was told no, and somebody was sent to collect all the costume and prop pieces from him. Later he found out everyone else just wore theirs under their clothes and stuffed everything else in their bags.

Star Trek had a big It's A Wrap auction after Enterprise finished, sold huge tons of ship models, costumes, props, and shit from all the way back to TOS. One guy spent his life savings on the TOS Enterprise that was too big for the Smithsonian and it spent ten years molding in his front yard after he discovered it didn't fit in his garage.

Most stuff ends up in hollywood prop houses, which are ridiculously huge warehouses full of all kinds of shit. If you watch enough stuff you'll randomly start seeing things from other movies show up even in big budget productions.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Hell I just rewatched Gremlins after a while and the scenes were the dad is at an Invention Convention there's tons of reused props in the back. The time machine from the old The Time Machine movie, and a robot from The Forbidden Planet making a phone call

• Options
    Low budget shows are shameless about it, but even big boys do it. Avengers reused a plane from True Lies. That weird round PKE meter from Ghostbusters 2 was in a bunch of movies, like They Live. The armor from Starship Troopers keeps popping up over and over, and there's a few custom guns that were in Starship Troopers that had already been reused so many times it's not clear where they originally came from.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    The other end of it is that you never know when you're going to be able to reuse old props; Like starwars was infamous for taking really old and out there guns and then making them into some sci fi shit:

The most obvious of these was han solo's blaster which was a mix of a mauser C96 and a few other bits, but theres also the tusken raider's rifle (which is basically a jezzail), the mandalorian's Bergmann No1/1894, or how the e-11 that everyone used was basically a sterling SMG.

I mean when Star Wars was made the Sterling was still in active British service, and they used prop Sterlings because they had a whole bunch laying around and gluing some crap to them to turn them into lasers was cheap

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »

The most obvious of these was han solo's blaster which was a mix of a mauser C96 and a few other bits, but theres also the tusken raider's rifle (which is basically a jezzail), the mandalorian's Bergmann No1/189
    I mean when Star Wars was made the Sterling was still in active British service, and they used prop Sterlings because they had a whole bunch laying around and gluing some crap to them to turn them into lasers was cheap

Star Wars even used Doctor Who props.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9otnGt07oI

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, that thing where Deadpool and Korg made fun of the Free Guy trailer? That wasn't a grand scheme by Disney. Apparently it was a wild idea Ryan Reynolds had and pitched it thinking it would be instantly shot down -- but it wasn't.

My god, the stuff that man can will into existence.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    That is kind of Green Lantern's thing.

The end scene of DP2 that dealt with that just kills me dead every time.

Not as dead as Ryan Reynolds in that scene, but very close.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Update on new Deadpool movie. :D

https://youtu.be/Yd47Z8HYf0Y

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    He fucking did it

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    What if Deadpool 3 is about Deadpool meeting the actor Hugh Jackman, refusing to accept that he's not actually Wolverine, and still dragging him into dangerous situations anyway. Eventually Hugh saves the day through the power of the Broadway musical

• Options
    Chall wrote: »
    What if Deadpool 3 is about Deadpool meeting the actor Hugh Jackman, refusing to accept that he's not actually Wolverine, and still dragging him into dangerous situations anyway. Eventually Hugh saves the day through the power of the Broadway musical

Oh god I hate you so much now because it's not going to be this and now I need this movie to happen.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I believe this calls for a thread title change!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Deadpool kills the Fox Marvel Universe.

Yes.

• Options
    None of it until after Deadpool and Spiderman.

I demand photos of Deadpool chasing Peter Parker with swords drawn.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

*grumble grumble* Sony won't let us have that *grumble grumble*

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

Will they let Deadpool declare that "It's Morbin' time"?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    What.

What.

WHAT.

• Options
    edited September 2022

My favorite running joke in his comics is kids confusing Deadpool for Spider-man and Deadpool always being as wholesome as he can because he doesn't want to ruin Spidey's reputation.
    32v8b3zbmt4w.png

Hevach on
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »

If you tweet this at Ryan Reynolds I reckon it's a 50/50 chance it happens.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Trace wrote: »

Fine. I look forward to the next Spiderman movie, Spiderman: Peter Parker and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

My favorite running joke in his comics is kids confusing Deadpool for Spider-man and Deadpool always being as wholesome as he can because he doesn't want to ruin Spidey's reputation.
    32v8b3zbmt4w.png

By far my favourite Deadpool/Spider-Man thing is when Deadpool is climbing up a building by holding onto Spidey's back making a comment along the lines of "Certain parts of the internet are going to love this"

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    Update on new Deadpool movie. :D

https://youtu.be/Yd47Z8HYf0Y

Subtitles on

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    You know, I just have to say it - it's kind of crazy how much Ryan Reynolds seems to "get" this stuff. Like, I almost can't imagine anyone else playing Deadpool at this point, he's done such an amazing job. You can tell it's something he *actually* cares about.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    *snip*

In case anyone missed it. I think I laughed even more at this one.

Edit: Beaten.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    You know, I just have to say it - it's kind of crazy how much Ryan Reynolds seems to "get" this stuff. Like, I almost can't imagine anyone else playing Deadpool at this point, he's done such an amazing job. You can tell it's something he *actually* cares about.

They basically can't keep the guy out of the suit. I mean, he managed to will this into existence:

https://youtu.be/LnDkfwAx4yk

Which is a good sign Disney's going to continue to let him do whatever the hell he wants.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Man, Hugh must have got that fucking Mouse Money to show up again.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Just pay the prop department to make a few extras so the actors can walk off with them.

MCU movies print money. You might be out a couple grand for a Stormbreaker, but Thor 4 will more than make up for it.
    I don't work in movies but I have to assume they do this. Cause how do you not expect the person playing Cap to not want a shield, or the person playing Thor to not want a hammer, or etc.

Hell most of those 'I stole stuff' stories involve said star asking 'the prop guy' for it and getting it.

Mostly corporate greed sort of thing involved, I would imagine. If actors take props, they can't auction the props later for stupid amounts of money. Alternatively, if actors take props, executives that had fucking nothing to do with making the movies can't take props to put them in their office or home and say "yeah, I made that happen!"

So the studios have a standing policy of "don't do it or penalties" to try and scare off people, but they do fuck-all about it if something disappears.

Are we talking about the heist for the original Iron Man prop? Because it was stolen out of a warehouse and nobody has the first fuckin clue who owns it now....

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »
    Man, Hugh must have got that fucking Mouse Money to show up again.

I think him and Ryan are too good of buddies for them to pass up doing a movie together, plus they both seem to love playing the characters