As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    urahonky wrote: »
    My kids desperately need potions. Is it better to spin gyms over regular pokestops? I've spun about 20 stops so far and they got a single potion.

I want to say yes (gyms definitely have better payouts than stops, especially gold rank gyms owned by your team). I also feel like I get them a lot from raids (which is obviously not helpful if you're out of them :P). Maybe also sometimes gifts?

There is also that thing where you can do the dumb AR scans to "upgrade" certain pokestops for better drops - not sure but maybe doing that also provides more?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    My kids desperately need potions. Is it better to spin gyms over regular pokestops? I've spun about 20 stops so far and they got a single potion.

I want to say yes. I also feel like I get them a lot from raids.

Yeah this is a double edged sword. I want my daughter to be able to run raids with me but she doesn't have any pokemon alive right now... She doesn't have any pokemon alive to run raids and therefore won't get any. So I was hoping to get at least a few today but after an hour she didn't get a single one and I must have spun 80+ including gyms.

• Options
    Had to pay for max revives/potions for her. I feel like a shit giving them money for that but that's the breaks I guess.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Had to pay for max revives/potions for her. I feel like a shit giving them money for that but that's the breaks I guess.

Just pretend that any money you spend on the game is just paying my wife. Therefore you’re helping a fellow PA person.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Rip, that sucks :( But yeah, I edited my post but try to get her ranked up in a lot of gyms (leave a pokemon in there and it will slowly build) and I think she'll get much better rewards for spinning those. That will probably help a ton. I know I am always swimming in too many potions, but I also try to get gold rank with any gym I can (and also drive around letting gotcha spin stops :3)

Edit:
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Just pretend that any money you spend on the game is just paying my wife. Therefore you’re helping a fellow PA person.

Your wife is cool :) Mega update still maybe one of my favorite things they've done in a long while.

Edit 2:

Not the most exciting event but I need Tynamos bad (I have like 3 and all are 0*) so I'll take that spawn pool for those alone. No idea why non-shiny-eligible Litwick was put in the pool like a week before its community day o_O Surprised at no special move for Mega Gyarados day but increased shiny chance is pretty dang nice.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Raided 3 times and got 2 of the Yveltals. Not too bad. Son was literally crying because he "wasn't going to get him" and caught him on his last ball on his first run. He now has two. Wish I could get him to understand the awful chance of catching these raid Pokemon.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    That's it, I'm done wasting balls on regular ass Pokémon after two excellent throws. I don't know if Niantic needs some sweet sweet ball money or what, but this is getting ridiculous.

Sub 100CP pokemon should NOT bust out of two excellent curve throws in a row. It happening with three Pokémon in a row is ludicrous.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    That's it, I'm done wasting balls on regular ass Pokémon after two excellent throws. I don't know if Niantic needs some sweet sweet ball money or what, but this is getting ridiculous.

Sub 100CP pokemon should NOT bust out of two excellent curve throws in a row. It happening with three Pokémon in a row is ludicrous.

If they also flee instantly you are softbanned for moving too fast. You can't catch any mon in that mode and will need to stay still for a bit to clear it.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »

If they also flee instantly you are softbanned for moving too fast. You can't catch any mon in that mode and will need to stay still for a bit to clear it.

Yeah, I discovered trying to catch while using daily incense on an expressway absolutely doesn't work. They'll pop out and flee instantly.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Yeah, I discovered trying to catch while using daily incense on an expressway absolutely doesn't work. They'll pop out and flee instantly.

The sweet spot for daily incense is 30-40 MPH on a city street, but don't quote me on that.

• Options
    edited September 2022

Yeah, there's absolutely a max speed you're allowed to go. It generally seems to be highway speeds (50-60mph+?) where stuff will start popping out of balls and fleeing. Was experiencing this a lot over the summer while riding in the car for a long trip. Incidentally, don't remote raid while going this fast either - you'll be kicked just as the raid starts for being "too far away from the gym." Heard this explained over at Silph Road that the jank remote raiding code actually puts an invisible gym at your current location and if you're going too fast you can leave the cell that fake gym is in, making you "too far away."

Side note, wow, seems a lot of people not excited for this Evolving Stars event. Trainer tips called it possibly the worst event in Pokemon Go history (I dunno, I feel like there were some REAL shit events in the past...). I agree it's not the most exciting but I mean, I need tynamo soooo.... (TBH it feels like an event aimed at new/returning players) I'm also not quite sure why some people were expecting Minior for an event called Evolving Stars.

Warlock82 on
  • Options

Yeah, there's absolutely a max speed you're allowed to go. It generally seems to be highway speeds (50-60mph+?) where stuff will start popping out of balls and fleeing. Was experiencing this a lot over the summer while riding in the car for a long trip. Incidentally, don't remote raid while going this fast either - you'll be kicked just as the raid starts for being "too far away from the gym." Heard this explained over at Silph Road that the jank remote raiding code actually puts an invisible gym at your current location and if you're going too fast you can leave the cell that fake gym is in, making you "too far away."

Side note, wow, seems a lot of people not excited for this Evolving Stars event. Trainer tips called it possibly the worst event in Pokemon Go history (I dunno, I feel like there were some REAL shit events in the past...). I agree it's not the most exciting but I mean, I need tynamo soooo.... (TBH it feels like an event aimed at new/returning players) I'm also not quite sure why some people were expecting Minior for an event called Evolving Stars.

I generally don't get hyped up for leaks/speculation, but yeah, this event's kinda eh. Outside of the continuation of the seasonal research (which was going to happen anyway), there aren't any real bonuses and the vast majority of the featured Pokemon have been easily available and shiny for ages (many in Community Days). Tynamo sure, but Helioptile was just in an event and we're getting a Litwick community day in less than a month. I dunno, Gary raid day's a thing, there are collection challenges, and maybe the pokestop research will be cool? But yeah, I can't really think of any worse events off the top of my head.

• Options
    edited September 2022

I generally don't get hyped up for leaks/speculation, but yeah, this event's kinda eh. Outside of the continuation of the seasonal research (which was going to happen anyway), there aren't any real bonuses and the vast majority of the featured Pokemon have been easily available and shiny for ages (many in Community Days). Tynamo sure, but Helioptile was just in an event and we're getting a Litwick community day in less than a month. I dunno, Gary raid day's a thing, there are collection challenges, and maybe the pokestop research will be cool? But yeah, I can't really think of any worse events off the top of my head.

Yeah for sure, I don't understand some of the selection. Litwick is the weirdest one to me. Helipotile I can sorta kinda get, that event was a few months ago at this point (this is certainly better than immediately following up the kanto starters with more kanto starters :P). Like I said, this definitely feels like an event for newer players. But I also agree, not the most exciting stuff. They probably should have coupled some kind of bonus like double stardust or xp or something so at least if the spawns aren't exciting people can still get something out of it.

But yeah, I'm just happy for Tynamo so at least there's something there I'm interested in :3 I also need Mega Gyarados energy (tho I'm not quite sure why they are trying to act like that raid day is kinda sorta also part of the event.. it doesn't feel like it)

(also I'd have to go check.. I totally feel like there were some real bummer events in the past, but this would have been years ago)

Warlock82 on
  • Options

I was walking. And stopping to ensure accuracy. But yeah, I've seen the highway shenanigans first hand. The joys of always being the driver sometimes includes watching your GF get hilariously aggravated trying to catch Pokémons.

• Options
    Wow, actually hatched a shiny hat-wearing-Shinx over lunch. Noice. At least one of those eggs better be a damn Smoochum too. Kinda dislike that 7k eggs are the only way to get that one. (it doesn't help that Niantic is being jerks about the boxes too)

• Options
    Finally had a Jangmo-O hatch! Wooty woo!!!

Now back to hoping for more Noibat hatches. I need those candies, bro.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Finally had a Jangmo-O hatch! Wooty woo!!!

Now back to hoping for more Noibat hatches. I need those candies, bro.

Yeah, Noibat is painful :/ It's not even a very common hatch in 10k eggs so it's kinda absurd it requires 400 candies... If I actually had one with good IVs I'd probably consider blowing a ton of rare candies on it to save myself the headache (but I'm not blowing those on a shit IV one :P)

Warlock82 on
  • Options

What the hell did they do and why do they hate Blanche so much? :D

• Options
    edited September 2022
    And? I don't get it. But I wasn't put on this Earth to "get it".

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    Well this was nice
    f4fbxn04egq1.png

(too bad Blanche has to ruin the picture with her ugly ass new outfit haha)

• Options

Blanche is canonically non-binary.

• Options
    I've never been happier about being Team Instinct, Spark is the only team leader that still looks relatively decent.

• Options
    edited October 2022

Blanche is canonically non-binary.

Really? Never heard that before. I checked to see where this was revealed but looks like it's mostly that they use they/them type pronounces for Blanche. Which yeah, probably suggests this though it sounds like they have never officially said.

I still say, non-binary or not, that outfit is ugly as hell :P It looks like Blanche just got back from attending a Prep school :P I hate all of them though. ‎Candela looks like a weird aviator and strangely younger and less "cool" I guess? Spark looks like he just went out jogging while attending college :P (though he was ruined the least probably of all of them)

Honestly, going back and looking at their old outfits, every one looks so much better by a lot.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Ruldar wrote: »
    I've never been happier about being Team Instinct, Spark is the only team leader that still looks relatively decent.

He looks like he can't wait to tell me about his new Gymshark gear.

I do not like this new look. Not one bit.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Someone pointed this out on reddit and now I can't un-see it. They literally changed the shape of the leaders' heads for this -_- I think that also has something to do with why they look so jank...
    y5q9t0j4jfge.jpg

(also looking at this again I swear the new model has *less* detail... like even the hair looks worse)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Yeah, I can understand the need for a refresh but I'm not the biggest fan of the new designs in general.

• Options
    Really don't understand why they would change these designs into the new ones:

SP9KQGi.png

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah I don’t know why the old outfits had to change? But Blanche’s is especially bad. They went from “Doctor Who trains Pokemon” to “Route one Rattata kid.”

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    New boxes for after fashion event:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/xuqt9w/new_boxes/?sort=new

I might buy one of those Ultra Boxes. It's still not great but at least everything in there is a useful item, none of this poffins for 3300 coins bullshit. And good ol' training box is back (which I honestly expected, it seems to be a mainstay of this season when there isn't events going on)

• Options
    It really seems like Niantic's been experimenting hardcore lately with what they can get away with on the boxes. Hopefully this is a sign that they're starting to figure out what is too crappy to sell.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    It really seems like Niantic's been experimenting hardcore lately with what they can get away with on the boxes. Hopefully this is a sign that they're starting to figure out what is too crappy to sell.

Yeah, though I'm not getting my hopes up. But fingers crossed.

Dunno why I bother to say anything positive on Silph Road btw, even expressing mild interest in that box has already gotten me five downvotes -_- I swear that place can be an absolute joke at times. (edit: it's already down to -7.. sigh... children I swear...)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    New boxes for after fashion event:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/xuqt9w/new_boxes/?sort=new

I might buy one of those Ultra Boxes. It's still not great but at least everything in there is a useful item, none of this poffins for 3300 coins bullshit. And good ol' training box is back (which I honestly expected, it seems to be a mainstay of this season when there isn't events going on)

I'm really glad to see that training box come back, highly worth it if you do a bunch of remote raids. I bought a bunch of those when I was grinding Kartana for XL candy, I ended up with a lot of regular incubators and got lots of hatching done.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    You know, I've been thinking about this upcoming Evolving Stars event and how people were saying it sucks. I think people might be completely undervaluing it for one reason:
    Complete Field Research to earn Stardust, Evolution items, and Mega Energy.
    Lampent requires a Unova stone to evolve. Those are not the easiest things to get. I wondered over the weekend if they'd put them in the community day research tasks (like, "Catch 3 Litwick for a Unova Stone") but looking over the Evolving Stars stuff today I noticed that line. I think they're trying to get people ready for Litwick Community Day? Just a hunch but like, Unova Stones are gonna be a huge bottleneck for evolving lots of stuff for the community day move. (I've actually been battling my alt the last few nights to try and get some more but I haven't been all that lucky on drops). I originally read that as "Oh boy, I can get some Upgrades and King's Rocks, so useful! /s" but Unova Stones are actually pretty good. Hell, I wouldn't mind more Sinoh Stones. (random side note, do wish they'd actually just dump all those old evo items and consolidate into like a "Kanto Stone" or something... it's so annoying to have evo items that literally work on one or two pokemon.. they finally got the right idea when they went for Sinoh Stones... I'd say only Sun Stone and to a lesser extent Metal Coat are somewhat useful for several things, the rest are trash)

I'm also very curious what Mega Energy they'll be giving out - like, is it a variety of stuff? There's still a handful of Megas I can't use because I missed out on whatever last few times they came around. It would be super nice if this gave me an opportunity for like, Mega Houndoom energy, Mega Absol, Mega Latias/Latios (dare I dream?), Mega Kangaskhan, etc... That would actually bump the hype level up for me quite a bit.

Actually really interested for Tuesday night when this goes live in the first timezone and we can see what exactly's in it beyond what they've said.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Have they added more depth to Pokemon Go over the years?

Haven't played it in eons but when it first came out, didn't feel like there was much to it other than walking around collecting pokes. I mean, its fine, but I ended up wanting more out of it I guess.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Haven't played it in eons but when it first came out, didn't feel like there was much to it other than walking around collecting pokes. I mean, its fine, but I ended up wanting more out of it I guess.

There's definitely way more than when it first came out (also unlike that time, you can actually log in now :P). Raiding and PvP are probably the two biggest things. They've added lots of other things like buddy pokemon, mega evolutions, various events, sending gifts to people on your friends list, etc etc too.

It's still *mostly* about walking around and catching Pokemon, but there's a lot more stuff to do with them now.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular

There's definitely way more than when it first came out (also unlike that time, you can actually log in now :P). Raiding and PvP are probably the two biggest things. They've added lots of other things like buddy pokemon, mega evolutions, various events, sending gifts to people on your friends list, etc etc too.
    Is the battle system classic Pokemon stuff or its own thing?

I could seriously put some hours into this game if its the former.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Is the battle system classic Pokemon stuff or its own thing?

I could seriously put some hours into this game if its the former.

Nah, it's its own thing unfortunately. If you ever attacked gyms back then it's basically like that. You tap on the screen for fast attacks which also build up a meter for a much stronger charged attack. And there's dodging if you swipe to the side but I never bother to use that :P In PVP (and against Team Rocket members, forgot to mention that feature was added too.. they're basically like NPC PvP) there's 2 extra shields you can deploy to block charged attacks too. So for PvP it's kinda more about strategy on which pokemon to bring (you only get a team of 3), when to switch (there's a cooldown), when you use your shields, etc. Raiding is the same thing minus the shields and you can bring a team of 6 and there are a bunch of other people there also tapping to attack the raid pokemon and there's a time limit you have to kill it in :P

It's kinda a shame cuz I'd love a more traditional system way more. But I guess they didn't think that'd work for multiplayer? (even Sword and Shield kinda slows the game down a lot taking turns during Dynamax Raids and PoGo raids can have up to 20 people)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    On the subject of PvP combat; I think two shields is silly. And boring. I’d much rather they have unlimited shields but they have to be powered up just like the charged moves, only the pattern gets harder (faster) every time. So you might miss a few dots and only partially block the damage.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Two shields is fine imo; gives good counterplay when you are playing around an opponent that might or might not have a good fast charge move up.
    Do you block, and not get supereffectived out of existence?
    Or do you not block, because the quick move on this poke is not STAB typed and likely to do minimal damage, saving your shield for later?

Anywho, just beat Giovanni for real (as opposed to during the weak TR period).
    Had to just plonk an Aggron down in front of the Persian for double defensive typing :/

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    You know, I've been thinking about this upcoming Evolving Stars event and how people were saying it sucks. I think people might be completely undervaluing it for one reason:
    Complete Field Research to earn Stardust, Evolution items, and Mega Energy.
    Lampent requires a Unova stone to evolve. Those are not the easiest things to get. I wondered over the weekend if they'd put them in the community day research tasks (like, "Catch 3 Litwick for a Unova Stone") but looking over the Evolving Stars stuff today I noticed that line. I think they're trying to get people ready for Litwick Community Day? Just a hunch but like, Unova Stones are gonna be a huge bottleneck for evolving lots of stuff for the community day move. (I've actually been battling my alt the last few nights to try and get some more but I haven't been all that lucky on drops). I originally read that as "Oh boy, I can get some Upgrades and King's Rocks, so useful! /s" but Unova Stones are actually pretty good. Hell, I wouldn't mind more Sinoh Stones. (random side note, do wish they'd actually just dump all those old evo items and consolidate into like a "Kanto Stone" or something... it's so annoying to have evo items that literally work on one or two pokemon.. they finally got the right idea when they went for Sinoh Stones... I'd say only Sun Stone and to a lesser extent Metal Coat are somewhat useful for several things, the rest are trash)

When they did the Porygon Community Day they provided a bunch of ways to get Upgrades so you could evolve them - timed research, special research, possibly normal research too. If a community day Pokémon needs a special item, they’ll probably give it on the day somehow.