As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DEATHLOOP] - The newest 0451-em-up by Arkane

1234568»

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    A way of increasing trinket slots would have been appreciated - make it super expensive so that you have to choose between that and other infusions, or something

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Honestly though, the more i'm playing this game, the more it's a 6/10, 7/10 for me.

Like when it's running well, it's really good!

But between janky power/trinket balance (hands up, how many of you actually ever took shift off your bar once you had it?), the fact that there's a single path for perfecting things... It's hard to say the game hits all the potential it could.

I only take Shift when I'm planning on hitting Charlie's castle, honestly. I generally go with Aether and either Nexus or Karnesis.

Shift is great for exploring, but once I had a pretty good handle on maps I didn't need it any more. There's almost nowhere where Shift is REQUIRED for access, you can double-jump or find alternate routes to nearly everywhere

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Just like in Dishonored, they did a great job making Shift super useful but 100% unnecessary. And once you get used to Nexus + Karnesis, it’s hard to go back to anything else.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I keep Shift on because I've turned this game into just thinking about the PvP, and whether I'm Colt or Juliana I always want it. But yeah, if you're just talking handling the maps, I don't find it necessary.

edit: The double jump, though, is completely necessary, and you can tell they knew that because they give it to you every day. That should have been a sign that they needed to just give it to you.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I've never used the double jump

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I do think you need one of either double jump or Shift.

Personally I found Shift invaluable for getting into or out of trouble so I took double jump off to run increased speed/reduced damage/increased power/increased power regen

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I have mastered the loop of death

I liked it a lot and also I would like a sequel that does not include the roguelike elements or invasions because the invasions made it stressful for me and after 6-10 loops I had basically everything I could possibly want in in my arsenal so the roguelike part was mostly frustrating

So maybe what I really want is another dishonored style game because I played this exactly the same way I played the dishonored games: silently killing everything from the shadows so that after I could openly run around the level and explore for secrets BUT I enjoy these characters and the little slice of this world more than I do the characters and world of dishonored so I hope their next game continues Colts story

I've still got a bunch of secret/side things I want to go through and solve so I can get all the story out of thia game though

I have mixed feelings on the ending though
    I felt surprisingly conflicted about breaking the loop, but then the bit on the beach with the outside world being all fucked up made me really want a sequel

I watched the no shooty ending on youtube and it was kinda cute but also I think "lets be murder monsters for infinity" is a little dark

I was hoping there was gonna be more story or information or something after crash landing on the station but at the very least I'm glad they didn't make you actually fight Juliana (and thus potentially lose that fight and loop after going through all the effort of making the perfect day)

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So I think I've got everything down to break the loop

Morning
    The Bay. Kill Harriet and sabotage the fireworks

Noon
    Complex. Sabotage Egor's experiment

Afternoon
    Fristad Bay. Flood Fia and Charlie at their hideyhole

Evening
    Updaam. Bloodbath at the party (Aleksis, Wenjies, Egor). Frank blows himself up down in the bay. RAK to Julianna

Now to enter the "Andrew is bad at videogames" stage where I manage to mess up every stage multiple times (like I did with Outer Wilds)

My first attempt at the morning had an AI Julianna invade and get stuck underneath the seaplane outside of hangar 2 and then on the way to unlock the tunnels I got blown up by so many mines.

So many mines.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I've got a loadout I'm reasonably happy with, so I've started just ignoring Julianna - get my tasks done, pop by the antenna on the way back which means that I'm approaching from a less likely direction

Edit: also (story spoilers regarding Julianna)
    Now I know our shared history, it seems wrong to be hunting her down for trinkets

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I understand a ton of complaints about various parts of Deathloop even if they didn't have much of an effect on my enjoyment of the game, but one thing I don't really get is certain lore stuff not being stated like the name of the country that occupied the island.

Like, why does that matter.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Some of the lore stuff is unnecessary but I do feel like a significant portion of the core "what's up with Cole and Juliana being different than everybody else" is unexplained in an unsatisfying way.

I ate an engineer
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Some of the lore stuff is unnecessary but I do feel like a significant portion of the core "what's up with Cole and Juliana being different than everybody else" is unexplained in an unsatisfying way.

A decent explanation for that exists within documents you can find on the island

Grey Ghost wrote: »

A decent explanation for that exists within documents you can find on the island

Care to expand on that? The most I got from the discussion was
    Some of Juliana's conversations implied that looping was mentally overwhelming, making people forget, and something about being murdered a bunch maybe helps Cole start remembering when he goes blank slate and wipes to zero.

I ate an engineer

Some of Juliana's conversations implied that looping was mentally overwhelming, making people forget, and something about being murdered a bunch maybe helps Cole start remembering when he goes blank slate and wipes to zero.

Spoilers regarding various events prior to the Visionaries setting up on the island
    according to the Intel archives in the bunker in Fristad Rock, along with in a few other spots, Cole was a test pilot for the Motherland military project that was studying the anomaly on Blackreef. Julianna's mother was part of that project as well. It's at least implied that extended proximity to the anomaly before being put in a loop granted some measure of resistance to the memory erasure everyone else gets. Julianna, being conceived on the island by two parents who'd spent an extended time there, likely has this resistance as well

As to when Cole blanks out and when he starts to remember, I don't have a good handle on what's going on with that. Could just be psychological, a defense mechanism to keep the memories of infinite loops from driving him nuts. That could certainly have been cleared up a bit

Spoilers regarding various events prior to the Visionaries setting up on the island
    according to the Intel archives in the bunker in Fristad Rock, along with in a few other spots, Cole was a test pilot for the Motherland military project that was studying the anomaly on Blackreef. Julianna's mother was part of that project as well. It's at least implied that extended proximity to the anomaly before being put in a loop granted some measure of resistance to the memory erasure everyone else gets. Julianna, being conceived on the island by two parents who'd spent an extended time there, likely has this resistance as well

As to when Cole blanks out and when he starts to remember, I don't have a good handle on what's going on with that. Could just be psychological, a defense mechanism to keep the memories of infinite loops from driving him nuts. That could certainly have been cleared up a bit
    I found that information, but A: there is nothing besides pure inference to say exposure to the anomaly causes resistance, and B: most of the island was also messing with the anomaly for months prior to The First Day. It feels like a very unsatisfying jump to a conclusion.

More broadly, I feel like it's not a problem to have lore hidden or require work to dig out, but one of the first and most repeated questions Colt has is "what the fuck is up with these floating messages", and if you're going to make the main character ask that constantly you need to make most of the answer to that an explicit part of the main plotline.

I ate an engineer
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    my takeaway was that early on everybody DID remember everything, and as the loop wore down everybody but julianna and colt forgot, and colt kind of goes in and out

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    First update is out: https://bethesda.net/en/article/5PwYCbups6Rw217NBm46gw/deathloops-game-update-1-now-available
    Mostly bug fixes and performance improvements, but also adds a connection indicator, Nvidia DLSS support for PC (new graphics tech that makes games run better) and HDR settings for PlayStation

Deathloop just got a big patch with a bunch of gameplay improvements, most importantlylots of AI buffs: https://bethesda.net/en/article/1X1C3x2hFY1Abi58oTYZfY/deathloop-game-update-2-available-now
    NPC BEHAVIOR
    NPCs now react to bullets passing close by, such as headshots that miss
    NPCs now react when another is assassinated close by
    NPCs now hear better and react faster to nearby footfalls
    NPCs under fire no longer move to take cover if the player is too close
    NPCs can now deduce the direction from which a grenade was thrown
    NPCs no longer stop trying to kill Colt if Julianna uses Nexus to link him to them
    Interrupted aerial assassinations will no longer cause NPCs to become mostly invulnerable
    Numerous other small fixes and improvements to NPC behavior, reactions, pathing, and placement
    Charlie Montague no longer gets stuck in the floor or ground if he’s kicked while using Shift

I still haven't finished this, distracted by other games, but I wish this patch came out earlier!

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Well, this games off to a rocky start annoying me with it's checkpoint saving losing my progress a bit and now there's a laser you have to NOT hack cameras to get which is of course the first thing I did to them like every other one. Good design, game! Now I have to wait until night to fight it seems and no idea if there's a way to speed it up or not, not seeing one, another less than ideal design if there isn't.

Hopefully this lives up to Dishonored. Edit: Ha, the shit save system rolled me back to entering the area when I quit. At least this means I can get the laser now, but god do I hate checkpoint only save systems.

Xeddicus on
    You have to progress the story to a certain point before you can freely change the time of day

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Well, this games off to a rocky start annoying me with it's checkpoint saving losing my progress a bit and now there's a laser you have to NOT hack cameras to get which is of course the first thing I did to them like every other one. Good design, game! Now I have to wait until night to fight it seems and no idea if there's a way to speed it up or not, not seeing one, another less than ideal design if there isn't.

Hopefully this lives up to Dishonored.

I know you're being sarcastic, but I think it actually IS good design to subvert player expectations in special occasions, particularly in a game where "Learn the specific rules of specific places/times/situations" is the whole conceit

It's a game about looping - being able to suss out how everything works at first glance would be... Undercutting the premise

You have to progress the story to a certain point before you can freely change the time of day

Thanks for the info. That'll probably come in handy.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I started playing this on Xbox, on a Series X to be specific.

Nothing quite like losing an hour of work because there's a bug in the game that crashes you to the dashboard if you hit a button to activate a generator. It's worse when you think it's a fluke and do it again.

Invasions are fun though, mostly. I made sure to turn off crossplay though.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    Got the laser and the first fight I use it in it apparently exploded killing me. Or the enemy was too close and exploded killing me? I burned and exploded myself somehow with nothing explody around and of course it took me 2 rebirth to get the damn thing.

Maybe I'll just die over and over and over to see what happens.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Got the laser and the first fight I use it in it apparently exploded killing me. Or the enemy was too close and exploded killing me? I burned and exploded myself somehow with nothing explody around and of course it took me 2 rebirth to get the damn thing.

Maybe I'll just die over and over and over to see what happens.

I invaded somebody with a laser today.

I have no idea what was happening, it was close quarters in Colts apartment and I just kept jumping and shifting around and spamming shotgun while trying to avoid the red beam until Colt finally died.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    ...when did they add a laser?

In the new update that launched with the Xbox version last week
    they added a laser gun, a new enemy type, a new power, and some kind of extended ending

Tempted to have my brother invade as Julianne to farm the slabs. That seems too obvious a shortcut, however. Not seeing anything saying she won't drop anything, though. Hmmm.

Wait, you don't keep infused stuff if you drop it? Lost a slab when I got a 3rd! This game is so much worse than Dishonored in all these little ways, damn people for not buying 2.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think infused stuff is recovered at the start of each loop?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Yes, this is the way it works for me. Thrown away infused stuff will be missing until the end of loop, then it returns to your inventory.

edited September 2022
    That explains why there's so much room in the slab tab, then. I figured there was something up when I saw that, thanks. I just didn't notice at first when I went to infuse the third, then went to switch back what I dropped and didn't see it. But that was right after the (aborted, thanks for the loot Jules) mission so the day hadn't ticked over yet. Annoying to lose stuff between missions, but at least it's not gone.

Edit: Then the plot for the mission ignores Reprise and I lose an hour of playtime on the way out of the level. Think maybe I need to take a break from these bad designs and play something with a proper save system so you can at least play around them.

Xeddicus on