As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Nintendo] thread, starring Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Nintendo has been funding a lot of Platinum's most fun projects. (see: Astral Chain)

But Platinum is oftentimes just as responsible for their whiffs as their hits so I can only imagine what ratio of Platinum and of publisher meddling happened to make Babylon's Fall come out the way it did.

I'm gonna guess this was one where they were work for hire and it wasn't a project they were shopping around

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Nintendo has been funding a lot of Platinum's most fun projects. (see: Astral Chain)

But Platinum is oftentimes just as responsible for their whiffs as their hits so I can only imagine what ratio of Platinum and of publisher meddling happened to make Babylon's Fall come out the way it did.

I'm gonna guess this was one where they were work for hire and it wasn't a project they were shopping around

I think they did this to themselves. It had been in the planning stages since Automata and was the first title out of their new live service studio, formed around the time they received Tencent investment.

I’m going to guess that they saw a potential route for expansion/stable revenue and dramatically underestimated how hard live service games are to make. Then the pandemic happened.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    aww shit, letsa go

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    At least Hale is also a union actor I guess

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Tunic came out on Switch recently and is blowing my mind so hard that my skull now resembles a discarded orange peel. The core Zelda/Dark Souls (Dark Zeld?) mechanics are familiar, though expertly balanced, but I was not expecting them to go this hard on the puzzle elements too. Like this game is on par with freakin' Riven in terms of challenge and execution.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    let's a go

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Seemed like a perfectly cromulent trailer.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Hey, it's a me, Mario, I'm New Yorkin' over heeeere

Nothing. Matters.
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    s3m7fczi7s0x.png

liEt3nH.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    yo are they doing that forgotten lore where the marios are brooklyn plumbers getting warped into the mushroom kingdom

yo okay

alright!

(pratt still sucks!)

Everything about that other than the Mario voice looked great!
    I loved seeing the Mario 64/NSMB penguins show up

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Pratt’s voice is both as bad as I thought as much as it is as boring as it could be.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Pratt seemed not-in-equilibrium while doing the pre-trailer hype or whatever those are called

• ChallChall Registered User regular
    The important thing is that the trailer showed Luigi in his natural habitat: being tormented by the undead.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Bowser being presented as a serious threat instead of a joke has me deeply confused

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    ph blake wrote: »
    Bowser being presented as a serious threat instead of a joke has me deeply confused

homie's fuckin raw in Bowser's Fury

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    bowser is always extremely dangerous in theory, that makes it more satisfying for mario to take him down

like basically anybody who isn't a main character or a Bigger Bad is nearly always portrayed as shitting themselves whenever he shows up

bowser can kill you by sneezing

liEt3nH.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    i wish he would

i wish he would

i thought you were looking for a different material to be expelled from his body

liEt3nH.png

YES YES GOOD
    also apparently during the panel JB said “you’ll be surprised to see that Bowser has a musical side” which YES ABSOLUTELY YEAH

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    i wish he would

i thought you were looking for a different material to be expelled from his body

what is sneezing, if not the whole body ejaculating

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    i wish he would

what is sneezing, if not the whole body ejaculating

I thought that was your soul trying to escape

To be fair, Jack Black has a decent voice acting resume. I think the Kung Fu Panda movies did well, and Chris Pratt doesn’t as far as I’m aware.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've ever seen Jack Black in a role and wished it was another actor instead.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    bowser is always extremely dangerous in theory, that makes it more satisfying for mario to take him down

like basically anybody who isn't a main character or a Bigger Bad is nearly always portrayed as shitting themselves whenever he shows up

Kind of a truism of most Saturday cartoon style storytelling. The minions will always be more willing to fight the hero than the villain because although strictly speaking the hero is stronger than the villain by virtue of... y'know, beating the villain every time - it's typically not the hero that's going to dunk you into a lava river like Judge Doom and a barrel of Dip.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever seen Jack Black in a role and wished it was another actor instead.

That's a fun thought experiment: what Jack Black role used him least effectively? Gulliver's Travels (bad) or Shark Tale (not a good Jack Black character) are my bets

I ate an engineer
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Finally I'll have a musical Bowser to compare to the musical Bowser that comes to mind at the moment

https://youtu.be/0Pq0W2DaL-0

I wonder if Pratt just assumes that everyone knows that he's such a gamer that pretending to be confused by the word 'koopa' would be a funny goof

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I want a game where you just play as Bowser for the whole thing. A big pretty Bowser platformer with some kind of minor army management system. Maybe something pikmin-lite where goombas and koopas and stuff follow you around and you can chuck them as weapons and use them for puzzle solving.

I don't know what Bowser's inside story did I haven't played it yet.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    I'm glad Nintendo understands the true vibe of the Pilotwings soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmepP3ehkaM

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    yo are they doing that forgotten lore where the marios are brooklyn plumbers getting warped into the mushroom kingdom

yo okay

alright!

(pratt still sucks!)

With there being Foreman Spike and DK in the cast (Sebastian Maniscalco and Seth Rogen) I'm assuming a general structure of:
    • Opening with Bowser, hard cut to...
    • Mario in New Donk City, with Luigi, working as plumbers at some building site with Wrecking Crew references.
    • Donkey Kong show up, Mario fails to "be a hero" and falls into the Mushroom Kingdom.
    • Main plot with Mario, Toad, Peach, Bowser, etc.
    • B-plot with Luigi trying to find and rescue Mario, getting into an escalating series of comedy-horror situations.
    • Climax of the film with Luigi finally arriving, and Mario succeeds in "being a hero".
    • Denouement back in New Donk City with Mario taking care of the somehow still extant Donkey Kong problem.

And in looking up who was playing Spike, I found out that the directors of this are the guys behind Teen Titans Go! (as well as Batman: The Brave and the Bold in the case of Michael Jelenic), which raises my hopes.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    God, Chris Pratt’s Mario voice is so dull.

It kind of sticks out in a world full to bursting with personality.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    It doesn't have to be Martinet but Pratt feels like stunt casting for a big name who does not suit the role one bit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Chris Pratt feels like "Lego Movie was successful, get me that guy!" (Not taking into account reasons why Lego Movie was successful, and that part of the joke is Chris Pratt voicing a generic duder in that)

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra