As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Chall wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I'd read a leak about a worm Pokemon that resembles Diglett weaks ago, so I guess I need to go back and see what else they said.

Yeah, that one's actually been known about for a pretty long while. There's a ton of confirmed credible leaks out there right now for this game (presumably coming from Chinese testers or something). There's still one major thing/feature I'm kinda shocked they haven't revealed yet.
    Regional Fakes - aka Past and Future forms (depending on game color) of certain pokemon... basically regional forms but slightly different I guess and themed around the past and future
    This is one of the reasons I'm getting Scarlet. More prehistoric pokemon.

Give me a fat stout pikachu that looks mad, has a five o clock shadow and wears a caveman singlet along with a giant club.

Maybe they'll finally canonize the
    "tiger with boobs" Pikachu
    that NoA tried to get made when localizing Red and Blue
    This definitely sounds like the type of dumb executive meddling you'd expect from the 90s.

"Its got to have tits, thats right. Yeaaah, baby. Now we're talkin. How about a big rifle? It needs a gun."

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    It's just going to be the return of chonky Pikachu though, let's be honest

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Give us Gorochu you cowards.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I'd settle for a Pikachu clone that has stats remotely close to competitive. It's such a drag to get 2 new Electric types but one of them's a garbage rat that makes Pikachu's stats look decent in comparison.

Terrendos wrote: »
    I'd settle for a Pikachu clone that has stats remotely close to competitive. It's such a drag to get 2 new Electric types but one of them's a garbage rat that makes Pikachu's stats look decent in comparison.
    Some of them can surprise you.

I've gotten pachirisu to pull off miracles before.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I'd read a leak about a worm Pokemon that resembles Diglett weaks ago, so I guess I need to go back and see what else they said.

Yeah, that one's actually been known about for a pretty long while. There's a ton of confirmed credible leaks out there right now for this game (presumably coming from Chinese testers or something). There's still one major thing/feature I'm kinda shocked they haven't revealed yet.
    Regional Fakes - aka Past and Future forms (depending on game color) of certain pokemon... basically regional forms but slightly different I guess and themed around the past and future
    This is one of the reasons I'm getting Scarlet. More prehistoric pokemon.

Give me a fat stout pikachu that looks mad, has a five o clock shadow and wears a caveman singlet along with a giant club.

Maybe they'll finally canonize the
    "tiger with boobs" Pikachu
    that NoA tried to get made when localizing Red and Blue

Honestly I still want Gorochu. That evo of Raichu still sounds awesome to me.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

They could also give pikachu stats that are decent for competitive. Having to hold light ball to even have close to a respectable attack stat kind of kills any other kind of build you could go with. And raichu is always just a lightning rod, fake out, thunderwave/sing user that can also throw out kind of weak thunderbolts. kinda wish they would do a stats pass on a lot of pokemon, but they wont.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Just finished Sword again. I really like this game a whole lot. I know lots of people shit on it but it's fun and straightforward. Plus the gym battles had the best music in the series.

Helps that my son and I have been doing raids together.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Without going into detail I feel that people hate stuff that is almost good more than the outright mediocre or even bad.

They nailed a lot of overlooked British aspects, especially clothes; I’ve seen kids dressed like the protagonists and Bebe loads of times. The music had a distinct vibe drawn from the scenes I grew up around too.

I think if people stopped to think, what they actually dislike is the rushed development schedule that lead to the back end falling off, and not what actually made it into the game. I’d love to see what was left on the cutting room floor because Rose’s Dark Souls battle theme speaks of a dropped storyline.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    All of the music in SwSh was bangers. I'm hopeful they do something similar with SV

Never did buy the SWSH DLC content. Just didn't seem substantial enough.

Worth going back for before Scarlet?

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    urahonky wrote: »
    Just finished Sword again. I really like this game a whole lot. I know lots of people shit on it but it's fun and straightforward. Plus the gym battles had the best music in the series.

Honestly, S&S's League is the only time a pokemon game has actually successfully sold the Gyms and the League, and I've been at this without missing a single gen since Blue.

If I had my druthers, I'd have removed the whole dog stuff and made the game go full Sports Anime. Give Marnie, Hop and Bede more screentime as rivals. Full on sports league. The works.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Drascin wrote: »

Honestly, S&S's League is the only time a pokemon game has actually successfully sold the Gyms and the League, and I've been at this without missing a single gen since Blue.

If I had my druthers, I'd have removed the whole dog stuff and made the game go full Sports Anime. Give Marnie, Hop and Bede more screentime as rivals. Full on sports league. The works.

I think I'd have shifted most of the legendary stuff to after the league - have all the plots and stuff start picking up and then they decide "Oh, Leon's been defeated" is the time to spring them, and then you have new and former champion go deal with things. Basically almost post-game?

I do like that for once the adults try to be responsible though and solve the issues instead of leaving it to the kids. Leon trying to keep you out of it is... unusual for the series.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy

Absolutely this. I wish they’d lent into it hard. Get rid of the dogs, Rose being evil, polygon dragon, post game hair twins and replace that with more character stuff for a huge boost in my ranking of the game. I think along with Hellish development conditions the requirement to fill those boxes soured a cool atmosphere.

But then, I wouldn’t have had god time travel a child just to play in a historic setting either.

I might also have considered putting the professor in the game. Probably as the protagonist’s sponsor. There could have been a funny recurring bit where she’s all nice and Prof. Oak-y, but legit wants you to crush the gym challenge.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

IIRC Crown Tundra has the Galarian Legendary Birds trio, but I never played any of the games so I can't speak beyond that.

Each DLC has its own pokedex though

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

wot
    it's VERY substantial

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2022
    I am unreasonably excited for this gen becuase we've finally arrived at the inevitable Unova remakes.

Its the gen that brought me back to the games (I stopped sometime after GS back in the day) and is still the peak of the series to me in a lot of ways. Completely new (at the time) roster of pokemon until postgame, the incredibly memorable soundtrack, the characters, world, visuals, hell...even the evil team was actually doing some pretty interesting stuff for the series.

Dr. Chaos on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I am unreasonably excited for this gen becuase we've finally arrived at the inevitable Unova remakes.

Its the gen that brought me back to the games (I stopped sometime after GS back in the day) and is still the peak of the series to me in a lot of ways. Completely new (at the time) roster of pokemon until postgame, the incredibly memorable soundtrack, the characters, world, visuals, hell...even the evil team was actually doing some pretty interesting stuff for the series.

Old pokemon were still there via dream world before postgame werent they? Or was that a different gen?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited October 2022
    Polaritie wrote: »

Old pokemon were still there via dream world before postgame werent they? Or was that a different gen?
    Correct but you had to use the website for that I believe.

Ingame itself/story campaign, its all new Pokemon until the post game.

Dr. Chaos on
    edited October 2022

Absolutely this. I wish they’d lent into it hard. Get rid of the dogs, Rose being evil, polygon dragon, post game hair twins and replace that with more character stuff for a huge boost in my ranking of the game. I think along with Hellish development conditions the requirement to fill those boxes soured a cool atmosphere.

But then, I wouldn’t have had god time travel a child just to play in a historic setting either.

I mean, the idea would be to get rid of Rose entirely. Rose physically can't exist and be good. He's a FIFA exec.

Drascin on

I mean, the idea would be to get rid of Rose entirely. Rose physically can't exist and be good. He's a FIFA exec.

I should have said ‘the leader of a nondescript evil team out to summon a legendary pokemon to enact a dubious, vague plan which he gives up on after losing a single match.’ Rose syphoning funds from less renowned cities to keep dynamax cities on top would have made more sense. Or him just being a general slimeball if we keep everything low stakes.

Goose! wrote: »
    All of the music in SwSh was bangers. I'm hopeful they do something similar with SV

Leaked route 1 theme.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E-zcNpZJX78

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I feel like sword and shield are the first time the games actually sold the apocalyptic stakes since the games started going that way, because the player's not being called on to be the hero when you've got three badges and still have a bunch of those weak "just for the early game" Pokemon on your team. You keep running into the events, but keep being told to go do your gym stuff and have fun while the grown ups with the giant fucking dragons deal with the scary stuff, and by the time you're actually asked to take part you have your own giant fucking dragons and have kicked most of said grown ups asses.

Hevach on
    edited October 2022
    Looking back, was Bede the first rival we've gotten since Gen II that was an actual jerk/dick like Silver and Blue before him? He wasn't the main rival (unfortunately) but I really appreciated that.

I often rag on Gen VIII becuase I don't like dynamax and I kind of had no interest in competition for that gen, the usual complaints about no difficulty option, that dumb invincibility happiness wiggle, etc, but there was also fun stuff there and some fantastic regional forms (Gamefreak remain on fire with these every gen).

You combine the best aspects of SWSH and Legends, you could have a hell of a game.

Dr. Chaos on
    edited October 2022
    Hevach wrote: »
    I feel like sword and shield are the first time the games actually sold the apocalyptic stakes since the games started going that way, because the player's not being called on to be the hero when you've got three badges and still have a bunch of those weak "just for the early game" Pokemon on your team. You keep running into the events, but keep being told to go do your gym stuff and have fun while the grown ups with the giant fucking dragons deal with the scary stuff, and by the time you're actually asked to take part you have your own giant fucking dragons and have kicked most of said grown ups asses.

I feel SuMo remains the best story in Pokemon games, in part because it's more personal and in part because it's not really a world-ending apocalypse story kind of thing.

For most of the game you don't even know who the villain is, and even when you do the stakes are legitimately less "this ends the world" (I don't think Lusamine's thing would really be world ending, it's just a mess) and more "Lusamine is a complete psychopath that is hurting and weasel-word-for-the-PG-censors-killing pokemon, and an abusive shitheel that traumatized my friend Lillie, and I am a Pokemon Shonen Protagonist Powered By Friendship, so what I am going to do here is extremely obvious" kind of thing.

Drascin on
    SuMo were definitely far better than I expected them to be coming off X/Y which remains a series low for me. Felt like more a return to form.

Huge fan of the ultra beasts/ SCPemon in particular.

https://youtu.be/zr966xaQywg

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I also really liked many of the UBs from S/M, but they had the same problem that a lot of the new games have. Most of the really cool new Pokemon get shoved into lategame/postgame as Legendaries so using them becomes really impractical. The only thing you can use most of them for is competitive in postgame. Would have been neat to bring a Guzzlord and Xurkitree on my team to become the first Champion of Alola.

edited October 2022
    SuMo were definitely far better than I expected them to be coming off X/Y which remains a series low for me. Felt like more a return to form.

Huge fan of the ultra beasts/ SCPemon in particular.

https://youtu.be/zr966xaQywg

I felt that it was the exact opposite of a return to form, personally.

SuMo's whole thing is that your character is not even a little bit the protagonist of the "main" story. The protagonist is Lillie. SuMo's main plot is the story of Lillie and her screwed up family and how she deals with it, and you're basically the badass friend that punches dudes when the plot necessitates some heads being bashed. Basically, SuMo had the revolutionary idea of letting someone who can actually emote be the protagonist and making the player into Elliot from Leverage.

This allows the story to have personal stakes much easier. Instead of the world being in peril or you just dismantling the mafia because they kinda happen to be on the way to your next gym, the stakes are more about Lillie getting over the trauma Lusamine inflicted on her (I still love that Lillie's first design, the one Lusamine dressed her in, explicitly looks like Nihilego, and her makeover is breaking out of that to dress like a normal teenage girl), which you can do because the protagonist slot belongs to someone who can have, like. Lines.

This is why the big anime climax moment in the game can be Lillie looking at her mom, at what she's doing, and deciding to take the shot. Because really, at the moment where Lillie hesitates and closes her eyes before telling Nebby to fire, she's basically making peace with the fact that as far as the narrative has been going, with Nebby's nature being inimical to the Ultra Beasts and it being unclear how much Lusamine has turned into one, what she's about to do has nonzero odds of straight up killing her mom (or leaving her brain so broken as makes no difference), but it's worth the risk because even that would be better than letting her continue doing this. For a pokemon game, that is kind of heavy!

Focusing a pokemon game on a character arc was rather not how most of the series had done. Closest had been N, who also touched on some good character bits, I feel.

Drascin on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I actually really like Hop as a rival. Super upbeat and wanting to live up to his brother's legend. Gets knocked down a peg a few times but ends up coming through in the end.

I actually really like Hop as a rival. Super upbeat and wanting to live up to his brother's legend. Gets knocked down a peg a few times but ends up coming through in the end.

I couldn't stand him. He was literally just Hau (like seriously, they almost look the same) but they gave him more annoying Barry-like squirrel brain behavior and he's just WAY too overly positive and cheery all the time.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Don't expect gen V remakes this time, they've been skipping a gen after they remade gen 2

camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2022
    Don't expect gen V remakes this time, they've been skipping a gen after they remade gen 2

? The next remake after Heart Gold/Soul Silver was Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire... with the exception of Let's Go in the middle there they've been otherwise going in order. Though if they ever do Gen V I hope they're a bit less lazy with it than BDSP. (I also kind of feel like the stupid amount of Gen V references in Legends: Arceus at least suggests it's on their mind)

Warlock82 on
    At the risk of getting all fan-fictiony, I think it’d be cool to make… side-makes? I don’t have a term for it. Basically, just make a new adventure in an old region.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    At the risk of getting all fan-fictiony, I think it’d be cool to make… side-makes? I don’t have a term for it. Basically, just make a new adventure in an old region.

Yeah, I think it's definitely possible to tell new and interesting stories in the older regions. Not just in terms of main plotlines, but perhaps some environmental storytelling like pokemon migrating into or out of the region or seeing someone from an earlier game but now they're all grown up and have a family or a new career or something. They'd still able to explore new pokemon, new forms for existing ones, and new game mechanics (though obviously people would still want to see the pokemon native to that region too).

JtgVX0H.png
    edited October 2022
    I mean there were no remakes during gen V or gen VII. I'd expect there wouldn't be a remake during gen IX.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2022
    I mean there were no remakes during gen V or gen VII. I'd expect there wouldn't be a remake during gen IX.

Ohhh I get ya now. I wouldn't use that as a rubric though. They'll do whatever they think makes sense for making all the monies :3

Also gen V-VII was kind of a wonky era for Pokemon.. gen 6 didn't even get a third version, gen 5 had a sequel for the first time, gen 7 had a cancelled Switch port which got somewhat reworked into USUM... This is actually a pretty interesting look at that:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7vwuKXp4Ag

(they've been doing some awesome videos lately.. there's another one there that goes into Pokemon Stars, the cancelled Switch port)

Warlock82 on
  • CSStheGr8CSStheGr8 Registered User regular
    I was always sad that Kalos got cut short with XY being my personal favorite generation since HG/SS and Platinum.

3DS FC: 2363-6921-5075
    edited October 2022
    The best part of PLA that nobody tells you about is the dialog choices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm_uDTH2sDg

Dr. Chaos on
    edited October 2022
    edit: accidental double post.

Dr. Chaos on