As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome, but I thought a lot of those 2CP maps were super cool, at least aesthetically. I just hope they retrieve the baby from the bathwater at some point after they throw it out entirely

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome, but I thought a lot of those 2CP maps were super cool, at least aesthetically. I just hope they retrieve the baby from the bathwater at some point after they throw it out entirely

I actually agree.

Except Horizon and Paris.

Those two were godawful.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    The assets of horizon and paris were good though, they just needed to fix the spawns and choke points. Again, baby and bath water.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Haven't played since like 2018. Really excited to give this another go. Bummed that it looks like the PvE stuff isn't coming until next year (I remember the Halloween events being some of my favorite times in the game).

. . . also I've never not had a great time in ranked even when losing horribly - yes I seethe, but that's part of the fun (to me). Can definitely see BLIZZ making further tweaks to not demoralize terrible players (like myself) and not really putting too much effort in the top tier of players. . . isn't the majority simply not going to be there?

Overall I'm just hoping that objective based hero shooters like this don't go the way of the Doodoo. PALADINS and to a lesser extent SMITE, really scratch those itches, but OW was really the first online "shooter" that I REALLY got into.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    The assets of horizon and paris were good though, they just needed to fix the spawns and choke points. Again, baby and bath water.

Paris I'll give you but I thought Horizon was uninteresting design wise too.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The moon gravity bit of Horizon was great fun, but obviously the game is built around playing Super Serious and so memes have no place in OW.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    The moon gravity bit of Horizon was great fun, but obviously the game is built around playing Super Serious and so memes have no place in OW.

I don't post much anymore, but when I do, one of the reasons is to point out comments that make me howl in delight.

I don't post much anymore, but when I do, one of the reasons is to point out comments that make me howl in delight.

. . .I had the opposite reaction. Mine was more mournful, remembering the absolutely hilarious (and equally infuriating) ALL Tjor vs. Mei matches when OW was a Wild West and just fun to funk around in. The last time I played, everyone was so God damned serious and they let you know how serious they were through team-chat. Blargh.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I wish Juston Bibero was still making meme versions of the OW animated shorts. He didn't even bother with the OW2 or Junkerqueen ones and moved on to Apex.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

. . .I had the opposite reaction. Mine was more mournful, remembering the absolutely hilarious (and equally infuriating) ALL Tjor vs. Mei matches when OW was a Wild West and just fun to funk around in. The last time I played, everyone was so God damned serious and they let you know how serious they were through team-chat. Blargh.

I played ranked to get away from that kind of stuff. But there were so many throwers, trolls, and general assholes that I eventually fell off, and going back to quick play was no respite. Not as many screaming teenagers, but there were at least a half dozen things that would make some random person quit, which would set off a chain of people rotating in and out until the lobby completely shut down and it started again from scratch; that it was a 2CP map, that it switched from attack to defense, that someone took what they wanted, that somebody was playing a character they didn't like, that there was a bad first fight, that the Ball/Hog/Whoever just wanted to meme around. I have to imagine that issue is only going to get monumentally worse with the battlepass challenges encouraging it even more.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I play only Quick Play and it's fine. Toxicity and throwers are rare, and yes there are sometimes leavers but it normally doesn't change the outcome of the game. If anything, leavers are usually replaced by better players.

Zek on
    edited October 2022
    Yeah I play quick play most of the time and it's pretty chill. Sure people are still trying to win even with their suboptimal picks but I mean it is a competitive game at its core.

If anything somebody might quit midmatch but they're usually replaced pretty fast.

Dragkonias on
    edited October 2022
    Looks like cross saves are finally in? I'm assuming when I boot the game up I'll be asked to sign in to my PC BNET account? 🤔. Also, will OW2 recognize OW1 saves?

ED! on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    qdfxktqkl5f7.png

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    anw3v7aic4o3.png

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    I thought it was out at 12PDT. So you're slightly early.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

That was something I disliked quite a bit as well. Probably why I’ve basically only played Mystery Heroes for the past couple years.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    If MH would remove hero stacking (and at 5v5 it really should be implemented) it would be the best game mode. I still say start each game mirrored and then random after that and it will be spot-on.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    anw3v7aic4o3.png

Just like the old days.

edited October 2022
    Marathon wrote: »

That was something I disliked quite a bit as well. Probably why I’ve basically only played Mystery Heroes for the past couple years.

I think a lot of people kind of romantize the open queue/hero days.

Sure you had those games where everyone was in on the joke and it was hilarious and good fun.

But what often happened was you were either subjected to one of the most obnoxious teams to play on or against.

For every "hilarious" game there were probably five where the point got stalled every round cause the other team was running 3 Lucio, 2 Tracers and a Mei to hold out for as long as possible.

And this was before all the new heroes were added on top of general hero changes.

Dragkonias on
    I thought it was out at 12PDT. So you're slightly early.

It's out. I was even in a quickmatch on one of the new maps already! Then the server kicked me
    Zek wrote: »

I sure fucking hope the game is good, but that trailer is kinda... ughh

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I believe the phrase the kids use is maximum cringe

Honestly the trailers probably should have ended with the Bastion one lol

More confusing then cringe for me. Why are there random shots of Osaka in there? Is she a part of this game somehow or a known fan? 🤔

• KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    35r4bl1pk16d.png

Well, that's a thing.

ETA: Helllo, Unexpected Server Error. I actually WAS expecting you...

Kendrik on
    steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I just find it amusing how the release/pre-release stuff on Overwatch is always hope! Optimism! You can make a change! Be a hero!

And now, to follow up, half our new characters are edgelord terrorists, and here's a special big in-game event about them assassinating a dude!

ztrEPtD.gif
    i was getting 0 players ahead of you and perpetual stuck in the queue :smile: good times, good times...i didn't even want to play, i just wanted to confirm it would be the same old crapfest it always is with blizzard launch days.

Patch notes: https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-us/news/patch-notes/

Doesn't have hero balance changes, you'll have to look those up. I saw this line item which is legit blowing my mind:

Role Queue is removed for all game modes except for Quick Play - Role Queue

Is this a typo, or did they actually make competitive open queue only?

I don't understand: why is there even a queue? I guess this happened with D3 (and almost assuredly is going to occur even more spectacularly with D4), but I don't really understand what you are queueing into here.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    They don't want to pay for the extra servers they'd need for the first week or so.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Oh so I couldn't play anyway because I use Mint. https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/xvos6c/finding_out_day_1_of_ow2_i_cant_log_on_because_my/
    Fucking genius Blizzard, glad I didn't bother downloading it yet.

Coinage on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Wait, you have to give your phone number to play this game?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Wait, you have to give your phone number to play this game?

It's to combat cheating and smurfing (mostly cheating).

The biggest controversy with OW2 at the moment is that prepaid phone users can't use SMS Protect and therefore can't play. That's a pretty huge number of people - prepaid means no-contract providers, not just burner phones. And that includes people who were playing Overwatch last week and now can't anymore.

It sucks big time, they should at least make an exception for OW1 accounts.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2022

Ahh, the new tradition every time Blizzard has a game/expansion launch.

Marathon on