As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trains are great (keep your anorak shit out of here)

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    where do cable cars fit on the tram-light rail hierarchy

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Light rail is like a small train, and Trams are like a bus on rails, just a single vehicle. A lot of times too light rail will weave in and out of roadways/dedicated rail space while a tram runs completely on the roads.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Trams are usually run from overhead power lines, that's the main distinction. Number of routes isn't a factor.

Ah, gotcha

Our system here is overhead catenary outside and overhead contact rail underground for the light rail trains

The same owner also has heavy rail trains that are exclusively underground, and those use a third rail for traction power

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

webguy20 wrote: »
    Light rail is like a small train, and Trams are like a bus on rails, just a single vehicle. A lot of times too light rail will weave in and out of roadways/dedicated rail space while a tram runs completely on the roads.

Oh yeah, the road thing too

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    From what I can gather every tram might be a (part of a) light rail system, but a light rail is generally faster and might have right of way. The point where a tram turns into a light rail doesn't seem well defined. Also it looks like it's just a newer term and colloquially at least both can describe the same?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have only ridden the high speed rail in Japan.
    As from the various times I rode it the question of why can we not have this in the US?

• Options
    Yea it looks like they really do share a ton of traits.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    As from the various times I rode it the question of why can we not have this in the US?

politicians hate spending money on infrastructure here

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Unless it's some kind of wundertransport they can pretend costs a lot less

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Another, Additional, train:

https://youtu.be/DhMt9GQLaIk

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    so how cool is light rail

It's p cool, could be cooler though. I'll see if there are any racing stripes or speed holes we can add to the trains

spono wrote: »
    Hi, hello, how goes it

I've been building light rail transit systems for the last decade or so

Feel free to ask me anything about this specific type of choo choo

Light rails kinda like trams right?

I don't know and I'm still extremely mad that the electric rail hub of a city I live in sold out to cars

A tram in downtown and our new bus lines? Yee sound dope!!

Not totally sure what the difference would be between a light rail and a tram, but tram implies to me it covers a smaller area and maybe only one or two routes

The one we're building now connects a bunch of different existing rail lines

Stipple all the trains like golf balls or you're just leaving efficiency on the engineering room floor.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I stopped in New York for a couple of days before I went to PAX East this year because I hadn't been in a while. Since I stayed in Manhattan, I decided to take Acela to Boston instead of flying.

Yeah, I know that the Northeast Regional is basically almost as fast as Acela and significantly cheaper, but I still wanted to try it. It was pretty nice! It's the more or less the closest thing I've experienced in the US to trains basically anywhere else, and I didn't have to go to LaGuardia, which is always a win. Being able to get up and walk around is nice, and the sandwich I got from the galley car was good and not at all expensive.

• Options
    Train from Boston to NY (or the reverse) was always my preferred method. Once you account for transit and security it takes almost the same amount of time, and is monumentally more civilized.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I'll admit it in the safe space of the train thread. I would love to live on a train. Like a little apartment at the end and just travel around solving problems at various stations meeting train lesbians and such

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I'm on a train right now.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

The US never learned how to build infrastructure without slave labor or murdering boatloads of immigrants is all

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    They're talking about building a train line from Atlanta to Savannah and that would be the raddest fucking thing ever.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I was invited to run a train once, but when I showed up it wasn't even on a train.

I've always wanted to be a conductor, too. :(

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Portland Maine to Boston was a fun little excursion on my engagement trip, ah, 11 years ago

I assume the trains are even better now yes?

I mean, you can still buy beer and sleep so it's better than doing the drive yourself.

I think when I retire and hopefully have more space in my home than my apartment now I will get into model railroads, either traditional or Lego. They set up a neat one at the mall each year for Christmas and it's really cool but far larger than any space I have currently.

• Options
    Portland Maine to Boston was a fun little excursion on my engagement trip, ah, 11 years ago

I assume the trains are even better now yes?

I mean, you can still buy beer and sleep so it's better than doing the drive yourself.

I think when I retire and hopefully have more space in my home than my apartment now I will get into model railroads, either traditional or Lego. They set up a neat one at the mall each year for Christmas and it's really cool but far larger than any space I have currently.

Ive always wanted to build an N-scale layout. Especially now a days being able to 3d print scenery.

• Options
    Jokerman wrote: »
    They're talking about building a train line from Atlanta to Savannah and that would be the raddest fucking thing ever.

High speed rail.along even just the various coasts would make a lot of people's lives easier

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited October 2022

We majorly prioritized personal vehicles over shared transit because, wait for it, racism

Suburbs and your own personal vehicle mean you don’t have to risk being around other types of people except maybe at work, unless you’re a small biz owner/job creator and then you get to stay segregated at work too. Also it’s a high cost barrier to keep undesirables trapped in the city and no way are we going to build mass transit to let them out into our safe enclaves now.

Plus the auto industry has had major political power which contributed greatly to building highways and degrading labor power, which virtuously entrenches capital/auto industry/racist power and resistance to changing any of our development or transport policies

Like only a few folks today are consciously choosing That Car Life for the racism, but it’s so fundamental to the shape of our society as a result of these deliberate policies from the early/mid 20th century that tons of us couldn’t give up cars even if we wanted to

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I still don't have a car

I will probably need to break down and get one at some point, especially if I want to find better work, but I don't especially like cars!

I walk around a mile and a half to work, and the number of people I talk to that seem to think that is absolutely ludicrously insane is kind of weird!

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

High speed rail.along even just the various coasts would make a lot of people's lives easier

Down the east coast Maine to Jacksonville, cur across the panhandle and through the rest of the gulf, cut across Texas in a way that balances hitting metros and shortness of path taken then Phoenix to LA and up to Seattle. Use it as a spine to fill in a huge amount of the US population centers with more local rail.

Bridge the MidWest in portions but start with LA to Vegas in the west and Chicago to NYC in the East.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I generally take the train if I have to be in Boston during a workday because fuck that traffic.
    Once the kids are a bit older, if love to take trains across Europe and Japan as a tourist. I still have fond memories of the sleeper car going down to Florida as my Mom was deathly afraid of flying.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Okay, so, I know an anorak as a jacket.

What is it in this sense?

ED: Also, taking the train the NYC later this year. Beats all hell out of flying there.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Okay, so, I know an anorak as a jacket.

What is it in this sense?

ED: Also, taking the train the NYC later this year. Beats all hell out of flying there.

UK slang for a trainspotter

• Options
    edited October 2022
    I think statistically you're actually more likely to die in a train-related accident than an airplane-related one but that probably includes people getting hit on the tracks
    they're both pretty vanishingly rare

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Down the east coast Maine to Jacksonville, cur across the panhandle and through the rest of the gulf, cut across Texas in a way that balances hitting metros and shortness of path taken then Phoenix to LA and up to Seattle. Use it as a spine to fill in a huge amount of the US population centers with more local rail.

Bridge the MidWest in portions but start with LA to Vegas in the west and Chicago to NYC in the East.

Good luck getting Texas on board for a federally owned rail system unless a Democratic governor is in power

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

Good luck getting Texas on board for a federally owned rail system unless a Democratic governor is in power

A dem governor of Texas is likely to be highly susceptible to Musk’s hyperloop bullshit though given 1. Who can win in Texas and 2. SpaceX and Tesla being in Texas and 3. The Texas legislature will be open carryingly hostile

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    oh I saw a train hit a deer once, that was certainly a thing I get flashbacks to sometimes.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    My nephew is obsessed with trains. Huge into Thomas the Tank Engine, has a billion of the little train toys that his grandma keeps buying him, and knows who every single engine is by heart.

He's getting old enough where my sister has promised him that next time she comes up to NYC to visit me that he can come. He is apparently so excited about riding the subway that he started packing his suitcase after being told about the trip despite that my sister isn't planning on coming up here until about a year from now.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    I don't know I feel like
    oh I saw a train hit a deer once, that was certainly a thing I get flashbacks to sometimes.

Good lord

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAbZi14-i6s

THERE ARE SOME GREAT FUCKIN' TRAINS HERE IN BANGOR

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    When working in DC I would take the commuter train to the metro station. Best three years of commuting I've ever experienced.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The DC metro has some deep problems, from the modern day stifling idea of it operating on a profit to its historic effects such as the Green Line I’m on existing to bulldoze black communities in its way. Yet I still like riding it. The brutalist concrete station designs to the raised section peeks at the outer fringes of the city. Not having to actively drive during a 40 minute commute means 80 minutes of fucking around.

Always had a fantasy of exploring the local neighborhoods of the various line ends, mostly the Virginia ones I don't normally go down.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I ride the NYC subway every day

Better than driving, but

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing