As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    got in now, still overwatch.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    The biggest controversy with OW2 at the moment is that prepaid phone users can't use SMS Protect and therefore can't play. That's a pretty huge number of people - prepaid means no-contract providers, not just burner phones. And that includes people who were playing Overwatch last week and now can't anymore.

It sucks big time, they should at least make an exception for OW1 accounts.

I'm sending support a request for a refund for my OW1 purchase. Since they've disabled the game I bought and refuse to let me play the "replacement" even if I wanted to and all. (no I won't get it, but still)

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    So how long is it taking people to get through the 20,000 players ahead of you queues?

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    so just tried again, i went from 40,000 to 30,000 in about a minute, will update again later if i get in.
    at 6,000 after 12 minutes
    edit 2
    d8ng41d84y5d.png

Pailryder on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    The biggest controversy with OW2 at the moment is that prepaid phone users can't use SMS Protect and therefore can't play. That's a pretty huge number of people - prepaid means no-contract providers, not just burner phones. And that includes people who were playing Overwatch last week and now can't anymore.

I'm sending support a request for a refund for my OW1 purchase. Since they've disabled the game I bought and refuse to let me play the "replacement" even if I wanted to and all. (no I won't get it, but still)

I'm told that Talkatone works and is extremely cheap, like $10 one time?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I didn't realize I can't even get things that are locked away under the premium thing, I thought you just had to grind more.

I'll leave the tuning to after the first week or two, but I don't get this 360 era haze to the graphics, why is it so hazy in the shuttle before the doors open now? And I'm on the resolution option, not framerate. It looks both a step back and a step forward compared to OW1. Sound is better but the UI is clunky, Mercy's current UI is trash. A bar is all I need, not a fuel gauge. I still don't get how Junkrat feels off and his trap won't go where I place it, did he eat the gum gum fruit a dab.

edit: Orisa's hella broken.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i made it in just under 30 minutes

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I'm told that Talkatone works and is extremely cheap, like $10 one time?

I already paid for OW, so...no going to pay for it again.

• Options
    The American servers get me nothing but constant retries. I'm in the Asia queue now, which I'm told still gets you local games. It's still a long wait, but the queue seems to be working correctly at least.

• Options
    Oh, I thought you get Kiriko for free if you had OW1, but she's locked for me. Yet I have all my other stuff from OW1 carried over.

• Options
    Kiriko is free to OW1 players, but she's locked in Comp for a couple weeks.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Wait that cell phone nonsense doesn't apply to console players right?

• Options
    Yes, it does. OW2 has unified accounts.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Christ. I'm on prepaid because I like my bill being 20 a month (I have no need for data) and that I'm locked out of the game when Smurf accounts and cheating really aren't common on console...

I mean I already wasn't gonna play it but damn that's a silly move

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    This launch is already off to a great start it seems.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    So those entry queues are bad, but in-game? Literally never seen this before:

QmgggVq.png

There's a freaking incentive to play DPS.

Zek on
  • Options
    Got in, very early impressions:

Graphics- Everything seems so much harder to spot and keep track of than OW1. The heroes don't stand out so much anymore and seems to blur into the terrain and background. All the visual indicators seem so much worse.

UI- Horrible, horrible, pointless changes. The Tab screen to see current heroes is SO MUCH WORSE than OW1's and it's a pain to get a quick read of the situation. Why did they change this? Who thought this new screen was better? Same goes for Mercy's new healing gauge: a pointless change for the worse where I refuse to believe a single person at any stage in development thought was an improvement.

Levels- I think I really, really hate the robot push mode. Maybe it's because I don't know the levels yet, but the whole experience feels like a narrow funnel. It's like the ARAM mode for Overwatch.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    So does this still have the enforced limit on how many of whatever class you can take or is there a casual mode where I can still have fun.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Seriously, is there a graphics setting that pushes it back to OW1 where heroes stand out way more?

This is reminding me of League of Legends, where the early version graphics were reminiscent of Warcraft 3, where they had technically primitive graphics but outstanding art direction that made everything super easy to distinguish (which was a big advantage it had over Heroes of Newerth). Then they "upgraded" the graphics and while they're technically superior, the art direction took a nosedive and everything is so much harder to tell apart and nothing pops out from the terrain anymore.

I'm really not sure what it is. Motion blur? Bloom? Simply muddier colors for the heroes? A sloppier depth of field? Or did they just turn up the speed on everything?

It feels like it's not worth trying to take stock of situations anymore. Everything is too fast and deadly that if you stop to think, you're dead. Just point the crosshairs at the red bars (because they're much easier to see than the actual heroes now) until one side is dead.

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    And instead of the super silly restricting new players to a couple heroes then gradually unlocking more so they can allegedly learn without getting overwhelmed (lol @ having high skill ceiling Genji unlocked at start while simpler heroes are locked off)...

...why couldn't they do this with levels? Have some old levels everyone is familiar with and and gradually introduce the new ones.

Or maybe this doesn't matter with that stupid awful robot push mode since the levels are so cramped and garbage. I would rather play an endless loop of Paris or New Horizons than these robot push maps.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Dac wrote: »
    So does this still have the enforced limit on how many of whatever class you can take or is there a casual mode where I can still have fun.

Yes, there are non-role-limited modes for both Quick Play and Competitive. But you'll find it's kind of a tank fest, because tanks are really strong now.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I left it trying to log in for about 15 minutes before deciding I'd rather torture myself with DBD for the evening instead. So I ended up on Midwich as Artist. Fucking hell, man. There is no respite.

E:
    LOL. The new Illios loading screen is filled with T-posing ghosts.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    They really need to make the character avatars stand out more and maybe give a color border to each class, I really can't tell in the killfeed Baptiste from Sojourn and Naruto and Zenyatta both look the same with their new avatars. I like the more animoo style just make them more unique art pieces.

I was able to get in for 30 minutes earlier but have been unable to get in now and getting the countdown only to 40,000 behind queue. I’m not really buying the ddos, Blizzard was just stingy with the servers and making things even worse for themselves. But hey, something something Hope!

• Options
    Rumor: if you press cancel immediately upon opening the game, and then enter your username/password, you skip the queue. Saw it in a video I won't link because the kid was annoying.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Okay. I was able to get in and play one game in... Midtown? It was awful. I literally could not tell what the payload was. Where the fuck the objective was. Where I was supposed to be going. Anything at all. I'm pretty sure I accidentally ran into the enemy spawn at one point. But also, in true Overwatch fashion, there was a leaver five minutes in, so it was a stomp.

Also, I thought because I had OW1, I would have all heroes unlocked. I had... fucking nothing. Like 3 characters per role. And I need to play upwards of 100 games to unlock characters I already had unlocked? Are you fucking kidding me?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Yeah after only 1 hour (zero of the beta) I'm ready to call it quits and wait to see if they ever fix this thing.

The graphics, GUI, and levels just kill it. I can't effectively recognize and assess heroes. Every...single...aspect of the GUI is worse than OW1. The levels suffer the same blended/muted look as the heroes and no terrain features stand out the way they did in OW1.

It's like they poured all this effort into more advanced graphics and zero effort into applying it to a well thought out art direction. Same with level design.

It feels like they increased the overall speed to 150%, but it now takes longer to visualize the situation and general survival time is lower with the reduction of tank defenses.

How did the robot push mode not get axed during alpha? How did one single person find that fun?

MrBody on
  • Options
    I don't have any issues with the graphics or UI, and I think Push is fun. Dunno what to tell you.

There is a bug where people are getting the new player hero unlock progression when they should have everything unlocked for being OW1 owners. They'll probably fix it, but if they don't, you get everyone in 100 games regardless.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    I'm curious: why would anyone play the new Mei instead of Reaper?

Her primary no longer freezes, but that was the whole point. Its damage doubled, but still nowhere near Reaper's at the same range. Ice Wall is significantly less useful. The most useful part about Mei's freezes was being a huge tool in breaking through the enemy team survivability (most frozen tanks dropped their shields, healers could not heal the GOATS). But now that the game is more deadly with only a single bruiser for a tank and shields playing a less of a role, there's a lot less value in her ult freeze. Why freeze with her ult when deathblossom outright kills in half the time, with fewer shields and a LOT fewer cc's to counter it?

Basically, every strength of Mei was nerfed, and her one boost to compensate put her in direct competition with other damage who can do that better, and most of the counters to that competition were removed.

MrBody on
  • Options
    They're both close range brawlers, Mei gets ranged poke and utility while Reaper has more damage and better flanking.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the quick fix i found from the blizzard forums re: roster lock is to change your server region and connect again

had the same bug and it went back to normal for me

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I thought if you logged in with an Overwatch 1 account, all the old heroes would be unlocked. And yet I'm finding myself barred from playing my main Zenyatta until I play 25 games. What?

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I thought if you logged in with an Overwatch 1 account, all the old heroes would be unlocked. And yet I'm finding myself barred from playing my main Zenyatta until I play 25 games. What?

I think there is a lot of broken they just discovered.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

u lost ur balling license

u gotta win it back

just like in the documentary air bud

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

More specifically, apparently tons of people have this problem, missing items, locked heroes, etc etc. I'm assuming it's an account merge issue and they'll sort it. Mine's blank/brand new state, and I'm assuming it's because it merged (from console) with a BNet account that didn't have any data from PC, and they prioritised the wrong one since I hadn't played in a while or w/e.

They're getting DDOS'd, shit's on fire... Just a usual launch nowadays.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Managed to mess around with the game a bit.

A.) It's more fun than I thought it would be.

B.) The criticism that it is pretty much an early access beta for a "sequel" they had to slap together in under a year cause their company was on fire still stands.

So yeah I think if you wanted a bigger balance update and a more interactive monetization model you'll be happy(even if when you consider that we waited 2 1/2 years for it we actually got less content in the long run).

But if you were a more casual fan who fell off relatively early you might still want to wait for the PvE.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I kind of expect every Blizzard product for the foreseeable future to be perceived by the people not playing it as a failure, independent of the reality of the game's success or quality, so I'll reserve judgement until I can put a little time into playing.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Logged in this morning and am missing everything on console as well. Having to unlock heroes I wasn't going to have a problem with but not having the cosmetic unlocks (which are tied to real moolah) is a wee bit of a problem. For a title that REALLY needed to stick the landing, this has not gone well. I mean the server issues are "whatever" (everyone and their mother should have known to expect this). . .the content unlocks, not so much.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Played a bit and HOOBOY is the experience grind gonna suck for getting the characters on the free battle pass. I was streaming it to a friend on Discord and he was shocked how little exp, even with completing multiple challenges, I got with a victory.

• Options
    Yeah. I'm not even gonna bother. I would drop 10-20 bucks every event anyway so I'm just gonna get the battle pass

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I'm glad this fomo nonsense doesn't work on me, I'm more than happy just dipping out of OW2 when I get frustrated enough by it.

In playing last night, I like Junker Queen a lot, feel like Sojourn is just "Soldier but better," and Kiriko seems very underwhelming.