As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    The biggest controversy with OW2 at the moment is that prepaid phone users can't use SMS Protect and therefore can't play. That's a pretty huge number of people - prepaid means no-contract providers, not just burner phones. And that includes people who were playing Overwatch last week and now can't anymore.

It sucks big time, they should at least make an exception for OW1 accounts.

I'm sending support a request for a refund for my OW1 purchase. Since they've disabled the game I bought and refuse to let me play the "replacement" even if I wanted to and all. (no I won't get it, but still)

I went and merged my PC and Console accounts because I was stupid. Now my separately purchased copies of Overwatch for console and PC cannot be played concurrently. I effectively lost a copy of the game by merging. I'm asking for a refund on the merits of that.

I've learned working previous customer service jobs to just keep asking to have your case re-escalated. They'll give you something if you don't stop bugging them, and in this case we're justified.

Agree with other posters here - the GUI feels cheap and doesn't flow together like Overwatch 1, like a B-Studio was in charge of just redoing every menu for the sake of it. This feels like a lesser game in a lot of ways.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    I'm glad this fomo nonsense doesn't work on me, I'm more than happy just dipping out of OW2 when I get frustrated enough by it.

I've honestly never understood how FOMO cosmetics work in a FPS setting (especially OW): I can't SEE the stuff I'm actually unlocking, other than in a death cam or at the beginning or end of a map. Some of those designs look really cool (the new healer had a Mercy style outfit, and then I saw a Medieval Mercy skin as well that was legit - but Mercy has always had sick skins), but at the end of the day no way I'm spending cash for a few seconds of "this is awesome" each match.

. . .mostly talking about the skins since those are the most expensive (maybe; you'd think voice work would be more pricey and the voice lines priced accordingly).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Kiriko seems to depend a lot on if you can consistently hit headshots with her. If not probably better using other supports

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm skipping mostly out of protest for all the big balance and format changes.

I don't like dropping to 5 per team. 6 is fine. "Balancing two tanks is too hard" is not a good enough justification for team size reduction. Try harder. It's literally your jobs to make it work. And if you can't make it work, spend some of that Activision billions to hire people who can.

I don't like the removal of all hard CC / Stuns. That was part of the counterplay and strategy of the game, and a well timed stun grenade to shut down a death-blossoming Reaper was part of the skill of the game. The Reaper had to try to bait that stuff, and the Macree player had to have situational awareness and reflexes to pull it off. And now that's gone. Don't like it.

There's other things I don't like either. Basically, all of these changes combined make the game feel very Un-Overwatchy to me. In their attempt to make it speedier and more Pro-friendly, they have basically removed everything I loved about Overwatch in the first place, which was that it was a very casual-friendly game.

Also: I hate battlepasses. Especially in games with seasons so short. It's impossible to keep up with as a casual player, and the FOMO marketing is enough to drive me away.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    They removed end-game voting cards, LFG system, and on-fire? And now there's no post-game lobby to chat, shit-talk, or even feel a pause between games, it's just GOGOGONEXTGAME!

So much community and personality removed, it reminds me of the transitions World of Warcraft made into later expansions, less about community and focused polish.

This isn't quite Warcraft 3 Reforged but as a dedicated player for 6 years so much of this game feels like a step backwards. 5v5 pace, gameplay, and tactics are noticeably different from 6v6, and if others enjoy it good for them, but this game's turned into a chaotic Quake, and my favourite chill vibing quickplay shooter is totally gone and dead.

And now incredibly long Tank queues for the role I've been enjoying for years. We're just gravitating off of huge DPS queues into huge Tank queues. Magnificent!

We were lucky to have Overwatch 1 for as long as we did.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I can't believe I'm saying this but Mei needs her primary to freeze. Just slowing the tank means nothing when they're still being healed, Rein's still swinging and killing because Kiriko and Ana are keeping him alive. Tanks are so damn strong now, not only do they just ruin Mystery Heroes if you get two on a team now, but having DPS with CC actually makes sense to halt them in some way, to not let them be so imposing. Take away 25 hp from her in exchange.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    As a tank main, please, don't add CC back to damage heros. Playing tank last night was the first time I had fun playing as a tank in literally years of OW.

• Options
    Not really seeing the complaints about the UI, however the lack of after action gameplay stats is kind of. . .not great? It does feel like I'm being hurried out of an apartment after a one-night stand. Same with the lack of player-performance feedback during the match. If the goal was to stop people from feeling like they haven't "done anything" in a game, the original solution was already fine for that as only YOU got that feedback. Now, not having it at all feels like something is missing during the beat to beat gameplay.

. . .as for everything else. Honestly, feels like OVERWATCH to me. I'll definitely be checking it out more when the crush gets resolved, but really hoping they rethink some of the UX decisions. But yeah, for the casual player, its just more OW if you ask me.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    A lot of negativity in this thread, but I love the gameplay changes. The UI and Battlepass are whatever, but 5v5 is wonderful, Mei never should've had freeze on primary fire in the first place, the reworks are fun, Doomfist as a tank is great, etc. Tank synergy didn't mean anything below Grandmaster, so I'm perfectly happy to solo tank.

• Options
    Tank synergy didn't mean anything below Grandmaster? What? Haha, what?

• Options
    The vast majority of players didn't know how to properly use the various tanks together. Knowing Rein and Zarya worked well together doesn't mean anything unless you knew why. Hell, most players play a very small number of heroes and couldn't take advantage of tank synergies even if they wanted to.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I like Junker Queen a lot, I think I'm a tank main again. I hope the queues don't get bad again like in the beta. I don't like Sojourn very much, it puts me off how much pressure there is to land the railgun shot. Kiriko seems okay but her heal doesn't feel very good to me because of how slow the travel time is.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My last highlight of overwatch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zuHA5i09PA
    I usually play reaper on that map but I came in late so f it

The last play of the game I got
    https://youtu.be/Ruola0CIG78

My first highlight
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jLHFO_HNc4

I played Orisa and I have no idea how to play her anymore. Her gun overheats? I have no idea what the thing she throws or spins around does and her ULT?
    Pharah sounds different and her rocket launcher is really odd sounding

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I played Orisa and I have no idea how to play her anymore. Her gun overheats? I have no idea what the thing she throws or spins around does and her ULT?
    Pharah sounds different and her rocket launcher is really odd sounding

I think Orisa get an Impaler move? I got killed with one and they threw a spear that missed, but later in the game I got hit with something that stuck me in place.

She does seem like she got some interesting upgrades, and I'm definitely looking to play her soon when things calm down.
    The vast majority of players didn't know how to . . .play. . . even if they wanted to.

Stop reading my diary!

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Played a bit and HOOBOY is the experience grind gonna suck for getting the characters on the free battle pass. I was streaming it to a friend on Discord and he was shocked how little exp, even with completing multiple challenges, I got with a victory.

I think it may actually be even worse than it appears, and it appears to be quite bad already. There's a bunch of 'lifetime' achievements for relatively quick/easy things (eg win three times on map X), so you start out progressing fast and then you run out of those and oops. Now you're invested. At least, I think. I can't log in right now to double check because apparently the servers are fucked again/still.

On the upside, I tried logging in briefly this morning, and everybody was unlocked now, so it seems like that was just an obnoxious fuckup on their end.

I also forgot that I also hated Sojourn in my brief experience playing with/against her. Her profile looks so similar to Widow's, her callouts are super unclear, and I think my only deaths came from being abruptly vaporized by her out of nowhere.

And "tank synergies don't matter below GM" give me a break. You don't need to be using 100% of their power level or whatever to have fun or be effective playing with them. Fellow tank players were the only ones who knew your suffering, and they can no longer be on your team, full stop. Period. All those synergies and teamplays with them, gone. I think it's ridiculous. Personally, I'd much rather have seen them just go 1-1-1-2flex with a limit of no more than two on any role. But their "fuck tank" philosophy has resulted in the tank population being decimated, so now they're just saying we only need half as many tanks as anything else. Problem solved.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    I dislike how samey a lot of new hero profiles are. Like, is that Kiriko? Or Sojourn? Or even Junker Queen? All of their silhouettes are similar and not distinct enough at a glance.

• Options
    DrowsDrows Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    At the current rate of getting coins from weeklies, unless a new source of them appears, attempting to earn legendary skins just through play is out of the question. We have the halloween event coming up, usually it comes with good skins but unless something is different they will be literally impossible to get except for cash purchases. I have to imagine that will get tuned.

Drows on
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Played a bit and HOOBOY is the experience grind gonna suck for getting the characters on the free battle pass. I was streaming it to a friend on Discord and he was shocked how little exp, even with completing multiple challenges, I got with a victory.

I think it may actually be even worse than it appears, and it appears to be quite bad already. There's a bunch of 'lifetime' achievements for relatively quick/easy things (eg win three times on map X), so you start out progressing fast and then you run out of those and oops. Now you're invested. At least, I think. I can't log in right now to double check because apparently the servers are fucked again/still.

On the upside, I tried logging in briefly this morning, and everybody was unlocked now, so it seems like that was just an obnoxious fuckup on their end.

I also forgot that I also hated Sojourn in my brief experience playing with/against her. Her profile looks so similar to Widow's, her callouts are super unclear, and I think my only deaths came from being abruptly vaporized by her out of nowhere.

And "tank synergies don't matter below GM" give me a break. You don't need to be using 100% of their power level or whatever to have fun or be effective playing with them. Fellow tank players were the only ones who knew your suffering, and they can no longer be on your team, full stop. Period. All those synergies and teamplays with them, gone. I think it's ridiculous. Personally, I'd much rather have seen them just go 1-1-1-2flex with a limit of no more than two on any role. But their "fuck tank" philosophy has resulted in the tank population being decimated, so now they're just saying we only need half as many tanks as anything else. Problem solved.

The lifetime challenges only give a very small amount of XP, less than one game's worth. They're mostly just for fun. I hit level 9 on the battle pass last night - that does include a number of weekly challenges, but if I did just that every week I would hit 80.

Tank gameplay is vastly better now than before IMO. Tanks are now as popular as DPS.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think the new scoreboard is an improvement cause you know. You actually get stats that matter for one.

And as much as I miss 6v6 and tank synergy I will admit playing tank is much less of a miserable experience.

I mean personally I'm a masochist so I never minded it but I mean for the general population

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Drows wrote: »
    At the current rate of getting coins from weeklies, unless a new source of them appears, attempting to earn legendary skins just through play is out of the question. We have the halloween event coming up, usually it comes with good skins but unless something is different they will be literally impossible to get except for cash purchases. I have to imagine that will get tuned.

Why would they tune it? They want you to spend money. It sucks, but don't expect to earn all the event cosmetics without spending money.

Edit: Mind you, this isn't based on anything they've said. I'm just basing it on Blizzard being a business that wants our money.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    As a tank main, please, don't add CC back to damage heros. Playing tank last night was the first time I had fun playing as a tank in literally years of OW.

Yeah I know we are all in negativity mode rn but let's not act like getting stunlocked to death was fun actually

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Maybe in 10 years they will sell Overwatch Classic

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    This isn't quite Warcraft 3 Reforged

To me, the visuals are definitely Reforged syndrome. They are technically more detailed. But the art direction was changed for the worse. WC3's primitive models were brilliant in how the shapes and colors made everything super easy to distinguish and pick out despite the low detail models. Reforged made high detail models, but the colors and shapes made everything more muted and blended.

Feels like the exact same thing that happened with OW2's graphics.

But yeah also all the other graphical touches, feedback, and GUI make this feel like an alpha. Heck, OW1's visual polish was more developed when it was still in beta.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    But I will say again when I'm not In Queue the game is fun

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    The game is fun, but I am discouraged from playing when I see just how little experience each game gets you. It has the same negative reinforcement effect on me as getting all blues in a loot box. Just, welp, if that's what they think of me then I'll just do something else.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I haven't played the game in years, so I'm sure I'll totally understand what's going on when I get back in.

Last time I played, Mercy was still resurrecting people from the dead.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Playing Mercy is just utter misery right now. Her kit just does not fit into the new deadlier chaotic pace.

• Options
    Sojourn is so fun

• Options
    edited October 2022
    MrBody wrote: »

To me, the visuals are definitely Reforged syndrome. They are technically more detailed. But the art direction was changed for the worse. WC3's primitive models were brilliant in how the shapes and colors made everything super easy to distinguish and pick out despite the low detail models. Reforged made high detail models, but the colors and shapes made everything more muted and blended.

But yeah also all the other graphical touches, feedback, and GUI make this feel like an alpha. Heck, OW1's visual polish was more developed when it was still in beta.

I mean half the maps are literally the same, most players are using skins that are the same. Look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJIkzHEVDis

Are you serious? It kind of seems like you wanted to be upset about the game from the moment you started it.

Zek on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Not gonna lie, watching that video I do like some of the OW visuals shown more than OW2.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    OW2 seems better lit. Which is something you want in a shooter imo

• Options
    Not gonna lie, watching that video I do like some of the OW visuals shown more than OW2.

Sure there's a minor stylistic change. But the thought that anybody would notice and become angry about that in the middle of a game is baffling to me. Same for the UI - yes it's change for change's sake, but it looks fine, who cares?

• Options
    Tank is currently the highest played class...never thought I would see the day.

• Options
    Yeah. . .I wasn't really seeing the graphical changes. Honestly the game looks the same to me as it did when it launched (from an aesthetic standpoint).

. . .that said, I'm not going to question why someone might not be happy with OW2. Like I feel like the OW1 model was fine and for sure some of the UX changes (after a half dozen matches I am REALLY missing the feedback during gameplay of the game basically saying "Yea ED! You're doing good! Keep it up!" and the "After Action Report" ego-boosting of "Yeah ED! Here's some medals for ya! Not gonna show you how you did compared to everyone else, but shit bud you did GREAT!" Other than that this is the OW I remember, but I didn't play the game competitively (I played Ranked because I liked the hero restrictions but never played it to rank up).

However, if I were someone competitive minded - as some folks in the thread clearly are - some of the finer detail changes in gameplay that someone like me wouldn't get, are probably infuriating. Like the disucssion of Tank Synergy all I was thinking was "Are they talking about double shields with Reinhardt and Orisa cause that's so fun!" That's about as deep as my understanding of the game goes. If you're swimming in the OW Ocean though, I think its fine to be upset that the game you've come to enjoy just doesn't exist. Hopefully that enjoyment can transition to OW2, but if it doesn't, makes the "negativity" understandable.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    As someone who is competitively minded its kind of the opposite for me. Except for 6v6 which I do understand the change but still kind of eh about it.

But I never really stopped playing OW and tbh I feel as I look around a lot of the biggest complainers(not all just a lot) are people who stopped playing around year 1 or 2.

So a lot of these changes might not make sense to you if you're one of them but probably makes a lot more sense to people who were around longer.

Like I think most people quit playing before GOATs and Brig happened or shortly after. Those two things caused a fundamental shift in design philosophy.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Zek wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »

I mean half the maps are literally the same, most players are using skins that are the same. Look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJIkzHEVDis

Are you serious? It kind of seems like you wanted to be upset about the game from the moment you started it.

OW1 does look better than most of the OW2 examples in that video. The wipes to OW2 seem to apply a haze to everything, like early onset cataracts simulator. The character models also seem to blend into the terrain more. That's what I experienced last night too. It's like they had the tech to throw in more lighting sources and reflective surfaces, so they did, without any thought to the effect on visibility and the player's ability to parse visuals. Sort of like how game designers went nuts with Bloom effects in the mid 00s.

This is a big deal given how faster the game is and more punishing to mistakes.

You really don't think it's possible for someone to start a game and not like the look? That it's more likely I was staring at the queue screen thinking, "Grrrr...I can't wait to complain about unclear GUI and lighting effects!!!!" ?

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Like take double shield for instance back when people didn't really understand how it was played and Orisa was fairly weak sure it was just a fun strategy.

But as the metagame evolved and people learned to cycle shields and cool downs effectively it basically turned every game into a slog.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    For me, everybody blended into everything else, as in it was hard to even see people against the backgrounds, and there were a shitload more particle effects just spraying all over the place, which those comparisons don't show at all. I definitely mistook Sojourn's bomb thing for a Grav multiple times, and it in particular sprays out way too much glitter. I couldn't even tell where the objective was half the time, and especially at the start of the match. I just tried to follow my teammates.

I also didn't notice until this morning that my graphics had been moved up to Ultra too though, so that could have also contributed.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I saw some UI changes on stream and they do look bad, especially the tab screen. I thought OW1 UI was fine?

KoopahTroopah on